Sign in to follow this  
Pioneer1

Actually Troy.....

@Pioneer1Oh, quit taking bows and cherry pickin.  Long before you insisted on equating knowledge with comprehension and subsequently offering your example, i gave the example of me knowing all the exponents of Einstein's E=MC2,  but went on to say that i did not understand it!  I contended from the beginning that having knowledge about or being aware of something does not necessarily means that you comprehend its implications. And i noted that a mystery is an example of this.

• Thanks 1

On 1/14/2018 at 9:09 PM, Delano said:

How is it you can explain something you don't know? 

@Delano that was a typo... I will go correct it now...

13 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

This proves to me that you AGREED with my assesment but refrained from admiting such.

@Pioneer1  I don't remember joining in on that discussion between you and Cynique..  I remember your discussion with @Cynique being more nuanced.  

• Thanks 1

Cynique

https://aalbc.com/tc/profile/5568-pioneer1/Oh, quit taking bows and cherry pickin. Long before you insisted on equating knowledge with comprehension and subsequently offering your example, i gave the example of me knowing all the exponents of Einstein's E=MC2, but went on to say that i did not understand it! I contended from the beginning that having knowledge about or being aware of something does not necessarily means that you comprehend its implications. And i noted that a mystery is an example of this.

That wasn't Mel's point....or mine.

OUR point was....lol.....that simply having information and facts doesn't mean you KNOW something.
Your point was the opposite.

Mel

I don't remember joining in on that discussion between you and Cynique..  I remember your discussion with @Cynique being more nuanced.  

No you didn't join the discussion (if you want to call it that) between me and Cynique; nor were you obliged to.
I was just making an observation about how you actually agreed with my position (that you can have information about something but still not "know" it)  but for some reason refrained from stating it.

You commented on a lot in the thread, but when it came to our particular discussion...you mysteriously "got lost", lol.

On 1/15/2018 at 9:14 PM, Cynique said:

...I contended from the beginning that having knowledge about or being aware of something does not necessarily means that you comprehend its implications.

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

OUR point was....lol.....that simply having information and facts doesn't mean you KNOW something.
Your point was the opposite.

this is a good example of how your mind works. if you can't see that what i said is not the opposite of what you said, then you can't think straight.  

Knowledge Facts, information, and skills acquired through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject.

information

NOUN

mass noun
  • 1Facts provided or learned about something or someone.

knowledgeable

(also knowledgable)

ADJECTIVE

• Intelligent and well informed.

1Having or showing knowledge of a subject or situation.

@DelI don't know that the definitions you supplied supported your assertion any more than they do mine, and that's an example of you supplying me with facts and info and me not being able to apply this knowledge when it comes to how it is supposed to prove your point.  A lot of this debate is about interpretation, etymology, and semantics.  Anyway, I am burnt out from going back and forth on the subject which seems destined to remain at an impasse, so I will simple quote what i said to Pioneer in another post about this subject.     "In my book,  knowledge per se is not comprehension; it's being aware of, or knowing the components(facts and info) about a subject, and this may or may not lead to comprehending what this data indicates. So you can have knowledge without comprehension, but you can't have comprehension without knowledge. (Wisdom is how wisely you apply what you comprehend.)"  And i will sign off by saying we have to agree to disagree.  

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this