The Future of America

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/climatechange/8786565/War-of-words-over-global-warming-as-Nobel-laureate-resigns-in-protest.html

Prof Giaever is one of the most prominent scientific dissenters challenging the controversial man-made global warming claims of the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and former US vice-president Al Gore.

He has testified to the US Senate about his doubts, calling himself a "sceptic" on global warming and citing both his birthplace and other scientific scares he has seen come and go during his career.

"I am Norwegian, should I really worry about a little bit of warming?" he said. "I am unfortunately becoming an old man. We have heard many similar warnings about the acid rain 30 years ago and the ozone hole 10 years ago or deforestation but the humanity is still around.

"Global warming has become a new religion. We frequently hear about the number of scientists who support it. But the number is not important: only whether they are correct is important. We don't really know what the actual effect on the global temperature is. There are better ways to spend the money."

Prof Giaever, 82, is not alone in rejecting the APS's insistence that there is consensus on the existence and severity of man-made global warming.

Several prominent members have expressed frustration that it has refused to reconsider its position – drawn up in 2007 – in the light of the "Climategate" controversy about the findings of the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia.

"Measured or reconstructed temperature records indicate that 20th - 21st century changes are neither exceptional nor persistent, and the historical and geological records show many periods warmer than today," dissenters wrote in an open letter to it its governing board.

Last year, another sceptic, Hal Lewis, a University of California professor quit the group, describing global warming as a "scam" and a "pseudoscientific fraud".

In a statement issued after Prof Lewis' departure, the APS said that "on the matter of global climate change, APS notes that virtually all reputable scientists agree... carbon dioxide is increasing in the atmosphere due to human activity".

Tawanda Johnson, an APS spokeswoman, told The Sunday Telegraphthat the society was "disappointed" by Prof Giaever's decision. It believed the criticisms were based on "misunderstandings" but would not "engage in a back-and-forth on Ivar's observations".

The APS says it that its climate change statement does not assert that "anthropogenic" (man-made) climate change is incontrovertible – but that the evidence of global warming is.

That sounds right. I gave it a bit more thought. I am thinking of the conversations I  have now versus twenty years ago.

I think the rise of conservatives and  fundamentalists signaled a shift. Specifically Fox news and the right. This may have been a symptom not a cause. It is similar to the mindset of some religious people. We are saved and special you are not. It is next to impossible to have a reasonable conversation. You also have they same problem with liberals. People seem to have an  ad hominen approach instead of attacking the idea. Sadly I have noticed myself doing this in some of my discussions here. Questioning the person's mental or emotional capacity. I am not the sole person doing this either. 

Actually Sarah Silverman the comic nailed the problem. She said we used to have discourse and there could be differences of opinion. Its gone from this is wrong for me to this is wrong for everyone. 

• Like 1

I think Michio is correct. I also think he may be understating American's precarious position.  

There is no "rise of conservatives" they have always been here.  I know this is really hard for folks who come from big cosmopolitan cities like New York City, but most of the country is not like NYC.  Shoot, most of New York State, including Staten Island (which is part of NYC) is not like NYC. 

I think I'm the only tagged on this conversation with an actual engineering degree (two). But my education has never stopped anyone less credentialled from questioning my knowledge of the subject. This is a curious thing. 

For example, I would never question Michio's knowledge of string theory and more than I would question Del's knowledge of astrology.  They clearly know more about the subjects than I do.  This is also why I believe what the world climatologist tell us about climate change.

When people create an analogy between belief in "religion" and belief in "climate change," they are making a mistake.  Belief in religion is based upon faith. Evidence is not needed, all that is required is belief.  However climate change is based upon evidence.

This may come to a surprise to people who live in big cities, but there are many American who reject the theory of evolution--despite ample evidence against it. The fact that the majority of scientists believe in evolution means nothing to these people.  Of course it would take very little effort, especially today, to find "evidence" and scientists who reject evolution. 

It is possible for people to create their own realities and there are plenty of resources available today to help reinforce any hairbrain scheme out there.

Yeah, Michio understated America's educational predicament.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Troy said:

I would never question Michio's knowledge of string theory and more than I would question Del's knowledge of astrology

See this is where I differ - I don't bow down to authority - I question it. 

Now if a person feels comfortable enough to teach a subject then they will have my attention.   It doesn't matter to me if they have a degree in the field or not - what matters is their ability to explain the concept where I can reach synthesis and find use for the concepts in other areas of my life. 

If a person has a degree but can't convey the concept their degree represents - then the degree is  a piece of paper. The degree holder was able to memorize facts and return the information to the educator/proctor.   

Further, there's a verse in the scripture  that states "lean not to your own understanding" ...It's actually an African proverb ...warning us that we humans seek comfort in any endeavor or field and it could be our undoing.

Sort of like what you mentioned @Troy, you've found comfort in your engineering degrees and believe that you shouldn't be challenged by anyone outside of your field.  In believing this you will have missed, in those questions,  something crucial to your growth and development in the field.   

Those without degrees in the field have no such comfort.  In fact they are uncomfortable and always questioning.  They are willing to take chances sort of like Mark Zuckerberg or the black telecommunications entrepreneur Freddie Figgers  who is reported to be self-taught engineer  who now owns his own mobile phone business.   Even an early Jeff Bezos with his degrees remained uncomfortable in his early days - -   

So, it's irrelevant if  someone has a degree, is an amateur or alleged expert  on climate change. -The one who can teach it, show us how we can use these concepts in preventing or slowing possible catastrophes is the one who will have our ear ...

@Delano,  I wish I could say I have an interest in the climate change argument - but I don't right now.   While it tends to capture my attention from time to time - I don't have the mental space for it.   I do, however,  work to minimize my impact on the environment. So there's that.  

• Like 1

Mel I apparently did not communicate that point clearly.  Allow me to elaborate.

First, there is absolutely nothing wrong with questioning to understand; it is absolutely crucial to learning.

I teach web design to college students. I don't have a degree in web design nor have I ever taken a course in it.  I learned by doing.  One of the assignments this semester was to critique my website.  Of course I know a lot more about web design than my students but I also know I can learn from my them too.  But the subject is web design and much of it is very subjective and almost anyone is qualified to have an opinion.

I took a course in astrology many years ago and have some passing interest in the subject.  Del has studied it intensely for a long period of time.  Now I might debate Del on the various qualities of sun signs but his knowledge greatly exceeds mine and there will be areas where I'd be much better off listening rather than talking.  I doubt Del has a "degree" in astrology that does not to me for he has demonstrated a knowledge of the subject.

As far as string theory is considered Michio helped invent the theory.  I don't have enough of a background to understand the underlying principles, let alone question him on any of it. I think calling that "bowing down," is a bit much, but it would be silly for me to challenge the theory on any level because I simply don't know enough.  That does not mean that he is right, and he would not say he is right.  Again, I understand that I don't know enough to speak on the matter. All I can do is marvel at the idea of 11 dimensional vibrating strings as the most fundamental building blocks of the universe--assuming that even comes close to describing it :huh:

I'm not saying I should not be challenged because I have a couple of engineering degrees, but what I am saying is that people, in general, feel way too comfortable challenging others on subjects they know nothing about.

I did not believe with Al Gore when he first introduced climate change to the mainstream media, he was just a guy with slides, sort of like Del with his spreadsheet analysis.  But over time, based upon the overwhelming consensus of 97% of scientists, climate change is both real and something we really should be working on.

There are smart and decent  people voted for 45, deny evolution, and deny manmade climate change. However, society would be better off if we understood how this thinking--indeed humanity's survival may actually dependent upon it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Troy said:

I'm not saying I should not be challenged because I have a couple of engineering degrees, but what I am saying is that people, in general, feel way too comfortable challenging others on subjects they know nothing about.

@Troy   Gotcha.  Thank you for your explanation.  It was your use of "never question"  that raised my antennae.   

@Mel Hopkins I am more interested in thinking and discussion then climate change. 

Richard Feynman Nobel Laureate, contributor to the Manhattan project as a lead physicist.  Found why the Space Shuttle blew up. Bongo player. Strip club frequenter 

Would answer questions in the mail by non Physicists. His daughter published a book of his correspondence. 

• Like 1

Troy I tagged the people who contribute yo yhe discussion. There's no pecking order. I generally dont agree with Pioneer. However his opinions resonate with some if your audience. 

I will ask a question or make a statement to some one with more knowledge. Some technically train people assume have knowledge in one sphere makes them knowledgeable in others.

Stephen Hawking says astrology is rubbish. Richard Feynman asks how does it work. So unless you can show its efficacy.  Let's use science. 

If mathematics was created instead of discovered. Then all of science which is dependent on mathematics is chimerical. The philosophy of mathematics discusses said issue. It is unresolved amongst mathematicians. I think its a creation like all symbolic languages .  Which are imbued with meaning by the users. Numbers have no intrinsic value nor a basis in reality. Punny.

• Like 1

I've been saying some of this for YEARS.
I wish I had recordings of myself confirming it like a lot of these characters on Youtube.....lol.

I think Dr Kaku is HALF correct in that one of the main reasons the U.S. is at the top of the ladder is because it sucks in the talents and skills from people all over the world despite having a poor educational system.
However there are some things he left out....

He doesn't make the distinction that it's the PUBLIC educational system in the United States that's so terrible, however there are a lot of PRIVATE institutions reserved for wealthy White children (and a few non-Whites) that provide some of the best education in the world.

If you go to most wealthy White communities in the United States you'll find an abundance of MONTESSORI SCHOOLS that teach their students how to be creative thinkers and leaders in society, as opposed to the traditional education that they'd receive in a typical public school.

Also, like most non-Black scientists, he fails to see (or atleast fails to mention it even if he sees it) the role RACE and RACISM plays in PURPOSELY DESTROYING the public educational system of the United States to PURPOSELY DUMB DOWN the majority of the population.....allowing only a gifted few to receieve a proper education.

If people would notice, the United States had the best public educational system in the world RIGHT UP UNTIL late 50s where they were forced to integrate Black children and provide THEM with a decent education also.
Then all of a sudden they started stripping most of the programs from the schools like:
Wood shop
auto shop
swimming
sowing
home economics.
music and band.

Slowly over the decades as the enrollment of Black students increased, the amount of classes and programs in most public schools began to decrease....especially in the inner cities.

Racism and the intent to deny Black children a decent education in America is the absolute MAIN cause for the deliberate dismantling of public education in the United States

I also agree with Mel about differenciating between fact-based learning and concept-based learning as well as what she said about questioning authority.

One of my biggest problems with academic and university trained professionals....versus those who learn skills on their own as Troy mentioned with computer programming.....is that most of what they "know" is THEORETICAL knowledge.

In other words, they don't really KNOW it in the sense of experiencing or directly observing what they claim. All they're doing is parroting the information that was given to them by their professors in class.

This provides an excellent opportunity for BRAINWASHING, SOCIAL ENGINEERING, and general MIS-INFORMATION to take root in society.

All it takes is for a few "smart looking/sounding" people to come along promoting a THEORY that can't actually be proven....and by authority of their rank and title in academia most of the world will accept what they say as true.

Now some of this information may be correct and some of it may not be....but I think a firm distinction should and eventually MUST be made between information that is obtained through actual experience and/or observation and information just "passed along" from teacher to pupil.

One of the reasons poor White people voted for Trump in massive numbers is because most conservatives have come to realize that a SIMPLE LIE is much easier to understand than a COMPLICATED TRUTH.
So they just make up lies that are easy for their base to understand and get their votes.

I think we need a new educational system that promotes TRUE information that can easily be tested by everyone able to do so and clearly separate fact from fiction and PRACTICAL KNOWLEDGE from THEORETICAL KNOWLEDGE.

I've never read any of Feynman's books, but I really enjoy his videos--one of the greatest things about the web is the ability to hear someone like him speak. I doubt I I would have heard of him otherwise.  Del is the only other person I know who has mentioned his name. 

I would imagine most scientists would say astrology is rubbish.  To me that is like saying a belief in God is rubbish, as I'm sure many would.  

I agree with almost everything Pioneer wrote in the post above.  Yes the U.S. has some of the best universities on Earth, indeed this is where many of these foreign  students are educated...for now.  I teach at one of New York, best  pubic schools, and have been for several years.  I've taught hundreds of students but less than a handful of Black Americans. Of course the the countries most prestigious Private schools in STEM subjects.  A girl who graduated after I did from under grad was he first Black woman to graduate my school with a civil engineering degree!

Absolutely, a complicated lie which sounds good is always more desirable than the complicated truth.  I often think those with the most willingness to tell these lies can achieve the most financial success in America.

-----------------

Skip to the 17:30 mark, it is my favorite part of the video.

6 hours ago, Troy said:

Absolutely, a complicated lie which sounds good is always more desirable than the complicated truth.  I often think those with the most willingness to tell these lies can achieve the most financial success in America.

-----------------

search Al Gore Income.

• Like 1

Al Gore has a colossal carbon footprint. 

BTW I have already looked at Trump. He literally has hundreds of businesses. Most of which are licenses of his name. 

Troy it won't be long before Al Gore and Climatologist are seen for being  frauds.

A lot  foundations are ways to pay yourself and your cronies. The Trump's Clinton's Obama's Bush's Reagan's all have foundations.

Al Gore has a not for profit it raised about $26 mil $18 is for programs. Which is another way of saying salary. 

18 hours ago, Troy said:

I've never read any of Feynman's books, but I really enjoy his videos--one of the greatest things about the web is the ability to hear someone like him speak. I doubt I I would have heard of him otherwise.  Del is the only other person I know who has mentioned his name. 

My favorite Feynman books  Surely you're joking, Mr Feynman! and What do you care what other people think. 

White men do crooked things to enrich themselves. What else is new?

If scientists decide to revise their forecasts I'll change my mind, but Al's finances are not a strong enough reason to change my mind at this point.  Again, while it was a reason for me not to take him at his word originally, now he has the globe's scientific community on his side.

Maybe check their sources. As to how they computed that number. A lot of people mention ut without knowing anything about it.  Because people are happy not thinking. 

Anyone using that 97% hasn't read how they figured that number. Don't take my word go check. 

Also go see if you can find temperature data.

Del thanks for sharing that link there a wealth off information about climate change.  I'm  not sure why you still have these question after seeing all this information.  The site explains, for example how they ca,lculated the 97% number:

Yes, the vast majority of actively publishing climate scientists – 97 percent – agree that humans are causing global warming and climate change. Most of the leading science organizations around the world have issued public statements expressing this, including international and U.S. science academies, the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and a whole host of reputable scientific bodies around the world. A list of these organizations is provided here.

They also provide an interesting graph of the global temperature changes:

Global temperature rise from 1880 to 2015. Higher-than-normal temperatures are shown in red and lower-than-normal temperatures are shown in blue. Each frame represents global temperature anomalies (changes) averaged over the five years previous to that particular year. Credit: NASA Goddard Space Flight Center/NASA Scientific Visualization Studio/NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies.

If you want the underlying temperature data and can't find it on the website, why don't you reach out to NASA and ask them for it--not everything is on the web.  Maybe you have to go to the library.  If can't be that hard to find if you extend your search beyond the web.

I also see from the site that measuring temperatures are far more complicated than I imaged.  The accuracy of the equipment has changed over time, and as the locations where temperatures are measured have becomes more urbanized temperature would go of because cities are hotter.  But these are scientists and they are not stupid, so they are working to factor all this into their measurements.

Without understanding what you are looking at taking temperature data alone (I see now) is not nearly enough.  This is why I leave this stuff to the experts who study this stuff.

A girl who graduated after I did from under grad was he first Black woman to graduate my school with a civil engineering degree!

Now if I had my way, more Black people would be getting civil engineering degrees.
This is the type of knowledge that is needed to help REBUILD the cities of the United States.

Learn how to bring water from the lakes and rivers to the cities.
Learn how to lay foundations for and build roads.
Learn how to build housing.

These past couple years I've seen more older Black folks pushing shopping carts around hustling pop cans and bottles than I've ever seen before.  It's really bad in California where it appears that most of the Black people there have lost their status and are living on the streets.

Instead of focusing on Silicon Valley and or artificial intelligence, we need to focus on learning how to build a society for ourselves so that our children aren't subject to poison water, malnutrition, and poor education.

@Pioneer1Has The White power structure gotten this memo?  And shall blacks hold their collective breaths in anticipation of this controlling force allowing what you recommend to happen?  Pie-in-the-sky dreams; tired, empty rhetoric that dates back to almost a hundred years ago.  None of what you parrot will come into fruition unless African-Americans amass  in a separate territory and establish their own nation.  The logisitics of doing this is mind-blowing on so many levels. Oration is one thing. Accomplishment is something else.  

None of what you parrot will come into fruition unless African-Americans amass in a separate territory and establish their own nation.

1. We already have our own nation.....THIS NATION.
Black Americans are just as much American as White Americans.

2. If you believe that White Americans wouldn't allow Black Americans to organize and rebuild their own neighborhoods and economies........
Why do you think they have allowed Chinese and Mexicans to do it?
Those 2 groups aren't White, yet they have carved out entirely self sufficient communities from coast to coast and there doesn't seem to be much of a White backlash against it.

Hell, White folks GO to Mexican and Chinatowns to eat, do business, and enjoy themselves.

White Supremacy is a major problem, but it's not the biggest problem.
Black ignorance and laziness is a much bigger problem.

Most Black people would rather sit around WAITING for White people to fix their houses, fill up the pot-holes on their streets, and open up grocery stores in their neighborhoods to fix the "food drought".....when they can do ALL of this on their own.

@Pioneer1This ain't your nation. You are just a stepchild, a member of a group who many would have no problem with deporting back to Africa, and who the idea of rewarding reparations for slavery to,  is laughed off.  There is no large concentration of "wealth " in the black population, no black manufacturers or black monopolies.There are very few black traders on Wall Street, no sports franchises owned exclusively by blacks.  Blacks don't even have a representative in the U. S. Senate. and only a right-wing conservative lackey on the Supreme Court. We had a figure head black president whose legacy is being systematically erased by Republicans. And currently have a bunch of mayors presiding over deteriorating urban metropolises.   There was a thriving little self-sufficient black community in Oklahoma back in the early 1930s and The Great White Father annihilated it. Why? Because this ain't your country and never has been. Was America really built on the shoulders of black men, thereby making this country theirs??  Slaves, who were considered 2/3rd human, were just a part of the manforce that built this country. The  difference between them and white immigrants, is that the immigrants were paid meager wages. The Chinese built the railroads on the west coast, and the labor gangs of Italians and Irish, who were once regarded with almost as much contempt as blacks, built the infra-structures of the cities. Today black males make up over half of those incarcerated in privately-owned prisons, where they are paid less than a dollar an hour.

Blacks in this country are currently relegated to the roles of entertainers and athletes existing for the amusement and diversion of white fans. They also populate a large underclass of common laborers, and a modest middle-class of traditional professions that provide a few high profile tokens to enhance the image of well-known corporations. They are also a part of the rank and file of the military.  All blacks are primarily consumers, dependent on the goods and services provided for them by white companies, and they take great pride in being able to afford the brand names of these stores. As for the  China towns and Mexican  sections in big cities, they are not industries. They are cloistered ethnic enclaves, sustained by outsiders and tourists who patronize them primarily for their food and novelty souvenirs.  These areas are actually monolithic ghettos.   Furthermore, what is the incentive for blacks to become entrepreneurs when it's so easy to be catered to by people hungry for your dollars, a choice that will relieve them of the stress and strain and failure that await all but the most capable among those who strike out on their own, pursuing the elusive American dream.  

Worst of all, things are not getting better; they are getting worst in a country that is coming apart at the seams.  It has reached the point of being a case of every "man" for himself, - of finding a way to just avoid the pitfalls of not being white and rich.  Like Del suggests, if you want to solve a problem, you need to correctly state it, or you will get an irrelevant solution.  Blacks need to set forth a pertinent viable proposition and the logical conclusion will go a long way toward dissipating their "problem". 

• Thanks 1

Cynique

While you're right (or atleast I agree) with most of what you just said............

This still is OUR nation.

We were born here and are legal citizens here.

Despite all the obstacles you've presented.....the BIGGEST obstacle Black people need to overcome exists in our minds.
That doubt in our own abilities and that irrational fear of what someone MIGHT do to us if we start doing great things.

@Cynique, you are a talented writer.  Not because I agree wholeheartedly with what you wrote but you just have a talent for succinctly expressing yourself, one that I wish I had.

@Pioneer1, technically you're right this is our country, but as Cynique pointed this is really not true.  Here is an anecdote, that might help emphasize the point: 

I started a web based business, 20 years ago, selling books. The vast majority of other businesses like mine have long since failed or they disappears as quickly as they emerged.  As far as I know, my web based business was the only one capable of proving a mostly living for someone. This is not to toot my own horn, but it is to explain that we don't have as many websites selling Black books online.  This also means readers will find it harder to discover good books, which means that those books will be read less, and the publisher and authors of those books will make less money, which means fewer good books will be produced and the downward spiral continues.

But why are there fewer web based booksellers? First, Google controls a website's discoverability.  Google alone can dictate which sites survive and which sites fail.  I've already described how almost 7 years ago Google took 75% of my traffic cut my adsense payments by over $2K a month--over night!  I did nothing wrong, but I say this to explain Google's power, who in one day put many websites out of business.

Google also uses the search engine to put the book store in front of organic search results.  This had the additional impact of reduce traffic that bookseller websites would normally get if Google were not using their search engine to hijack customers.  This is a tactic only monopolist can utilize.  They are prevented from doing this in the EU, but in America Google can go buck wild.

Of course Amazon is already effectively a monopoly when it comes to Black books.  Has anyone noticed that virtually all the authors who post information about their books here direct people to Amazon?  Even the few that link to their own websites, direct readers to Amazon when they get to their websites. This might sound like a minor thing, but it is a seismic shift in our collective behavior and that hurts the Black book economy and will ultimately kill if were it not for the activities of a few folks like myself doing what they can to stop it.

Of course on the horizon is another existential threat to the Black book ecosystem, Net Neutrality which basically prevents internet service providers like Verizon from slowing down or even blocking, access to other websites.  This means that if Net Neutrality is repealed on December 14th  (you can petition to stop it here) it is almost certain that business like mine will need to pay a lot more for their website to have decent access to the internet.  The price for access could conceivably be more than I can afford!

No, Black people do not own the country, but neither do most white folks.  The country is owned and controlled by oligarchs, and there is seemingly nothing that we plebs can do about it. People are so dead set in behaving against their own interests.  This is a function of our education system, which by necessity, must create a population too ignorant understand why electing a "45" is a grave threat to our way of life... Yes @Delano, we can be our own worst enemy.

• Thanks 1

Maybe people have the need to dominate and be dominated. This may be because of self interest. Perhaps  people want more and are less interested in eradicating hunger. 

Rap used to be the voice for the voiceless. Rappers wanted sex, fame, money and cars and a few wanted to educate. In the Furious Five first album Melle does the message. Which is social commentary . in the Funky 4+1 Sharock raps about astrology . So you have a minority rapping about social issues or education. What sells it what people want. Although you could argue that the supply creates the demand. 

i would say more people aspire to be successful like Trump. Than be a social activist like Sanders. 

• Thanks 1

I ponder that question question of "supply and demand" often.  If it bleeds it leads, sex sells, etc, etc.  I'm not convinced the appealing to our baser natures is more profitable because it is what is what we are supplied or because it is what we demand.  Of course if you put Cardi B or Minaj's big ass in front of some teenage kid he is going want to see more...

Every weekend buildings are filled with people seeking spiritual enlightenment or to grow closer God. Of course their is not shortage of self improvement books...

Saying we are just giving people want they want is like big tobacco saying they only sell cigarettes because "people want them."  Of course people want them, but they would not want them if the highly addictive products were never manufactured. The fact the cigarettes kill more people than AIDS, murder, suicide, drugs and alcohol combined just makes the whole business so deeply disgusting.  The fact we allow people to get rich off these products is criminal.

I'm more inclined to believe that we provide whatever it is that is cheapest to produce and generates the most profit.  It does not matter if the product is good or even deadly.  Profits are  the bottom line.  This is what makes selling cigarettes perfectly fine, even though we know the manufacturers knew how deadline they were.  Fake news is gaining ground on journalism, because it is so very profitable and costs very little to produce.

Look, anyone willing to pervert religion and science to justify enslaving Black people for hundreds of years will do anything for money... including making the planet uninhabitable for the human race.

• Thanks 1

The PUBLIC education system in the United States today is primarily training people to be EDUCATED SLAVES.

People who will just show up to work and do what they are told in the most efficient manner possible without questioning authority.

This is why Asians do so good academically.
And this is why Asian students are often held up as "model students".

Because they are typically docile, unassuming, bland and agreeable in personality, and uniform in behavior.

Central Americans are highly desired on the other end of the employment spectrum because THEY typically do what they are told and work for next to nothing.

The business owners and ultra capitalists could give less than two damns about America, they'd just as soon replace EVERYONE with immigrants from Asia and Central America if it meant more profits, more production, and lower wages with fewwer complaints from the workers.

What sells is what people want, but people can be INFLUENCED to want certain things they ordinarily wouldn't.

Social scientists and market strategists are highly trained in social engineering and influencing people's minds into wanting thing that aren't necessarily good for them.

Here is another example where I fundamentally agree with your conclusions @Pioneer1 but reject your premise.  When you write things like,

9 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

This is why Asians do so good academically.

It just sounds so crazy if not outright racist to me. You know there are many so called "Asians" that don't do very well academically, indeed those in southern Asia have some of the lowest literacy rates on Earth. 

Being Asian doesn't meant you do well academically.  If you have the resources, intelligence, support, conditions, and study anyone can do well academically.  

One could say well what difference does it make, as long as you Brothers agree.  Well the problem is, if we see the underlying causes to be different the solutions we come up with will have to be different. Which means at least one of these solution will not work, as it is not addressing the root of the problem.

Troy

It just sounds so crazy if not outright racist to me. You know there are many so called "Asians" that don't do very well academically, indeed those in southern Asia have some of the lowest literacy rates on Earth.

Being Asian doesn't meant you do well academically. If you have the resources, intelligence, support, conditions, and study anyone can do well academically.

There are a lot of men who don't like women either...but most do.
You can find exceptions to most rules.

I didn't say BEING Asian meant you did well, I said Asians do well.
And you know I was speaking in general terms.

Now if we started holding eachother accountable for every single exception there may be to a general rule then no one would be able to post anything without attaching footnotes to our posts....lol.

Another problem is that you just cancelled your own statement out.

You said,
"If you have the resources, intelligence, support, conditions, and study anyone can do well academically."

You said ANYONE can do well academically, but list having INTELLIGENCE as a prerequisite.

Knowing that everyone DOESN'T have intelligence.
Knowing that some people are legally retarded and will not perform to normal academic standards regardless of the resources they receive and studying they do.

....how can "anyone" be expected to do well academically?

Troy

OK let me clarify: When I wrote anybody, I meant, any so called "race" (human) can do well academically given the right conditions and ability.

Is that clearer?

Yes it's clearer.
But the point you're making is still a bit.....I'm not sure of the correct word for it.

Because again, you're saying anyone of any so-called race can do well IF they have the ability and the conditions are right.

Well that's a given.

But again, everyone DOESN'T have the ability or live under the right conditions.

So where are we agreeing or disagreeing?

My point about Asians has more to do with their persona and the way they carry themselves in society than with their intelligence level or even academic performance.

Africans do just as good or better than Asians academically, but they STILL are more aggressive and independant socially.....atleast it seems to me.

Cynique

Everyone has intelligence. Some people simply have more of it, than others

As with many words in the English language, there are many definitions of the word "intelligence".

I'm using the more colloquial definition.

Meaning, those with an above average level of it or as you said have more of it.

There is a difference between the average person who can speak...and one who is a "speaker"....lol.

@Delano, if you are interested in understanding what I wrote, you will not divine that from @Pioneer1's statement, which is why I attempted to clarify it.  With that in mind, do you what have a question about my something I wrote?  I'm not going down the rabbit hole of attempting to explain, what I wrote, by way of explaining Pioneer's inaccurate interpretation.

Of course @Cynique is right varying levels of intelligence. There are also many different types of intelligence--none of which have any direct correlation to one's so called race.