How Did the Democrats Blow it?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elections/

Maybe it was inevitable given the tide of hysteria

But there was also the clumsy politicking of the Democrats

1) They realized that their base included younger voters,esp college students. Once they had it in the bag instead of keeping all of them involved, like Republicans do their young, they told them to go home and sit down that they had it.

Primarily ex legislators, they thought all they needed to do was get some bomb legislation over and everybody would go along.

Wrong.

2) They knew they were in trouble when they lost Ted Kennedy's seat. They should have at least been campaigning like they are now since June. Nope.

I dunno. Maybe they got the word to lie down.

Chris I just think people are frustrated and are willing to listen to anyone that will promise them that they will make things better than they are now...

There is really nothing that Black folks can point to that Barack has done to benefit us directly. We see Wall Street getting almost a trillion dollar in aid while working stiffs are losing their homes. Imagine virtually everyone knows several people who have lost their homes -- it is an epidemic. We all know even more people who have been out of work for a year or more.

What does health care reform mean to us right now? Folks are now speculating that the home mortgage deduction will need to be elimiated to pay for health care reform --- sheesh! Maybe we should stop sending shit to Mars and worry about what is happening on this planet.

It is not like Barack is even hooking the Brothers up on his own staff Mona Supthen I think is the only Black person.

I say this not to complain, but to point out that Barack is even at risk holding onto his strongest supporters -- Black folks. No, black folks are not about to go out and vote Republican in mass, but if things continue they way they are or (God forbid) get worse, Black folks just will not vote at all and he needs all the votes he can get from us.

...There is really nothing that Black folks can point to that Barack has done to benefit us directly...

Specific support for HBCU's and inspiration (especially) to our youth. I can think of a few more if I must. Granted some would not be only beneficial to AA.

It is not like Barack is even hooking the Brothers up on his own staff Mona Supthen I think is the only Black person...

Mona Supthen and Valerie Jarrett. Two out of five, and women at that. And effectually, the First Lady.

breathebooks can you describe the support for the HBCU's?

As far as inspiring youth. Are you serious? Have you been in a classroom lately. Have you been on the streets of any inner city neighborhood?

Look at the Black voter turn out tomorrow evening and you tell me what that inspiration has done.

You are right, how could I forget Valerie. But not a single Brother -- why can't it be 5 brothers?

More significantly lets look at Barack's lily white (virtually) cabinet cabinet This "pales" in comparison to even Dubya who had Roderick Paige, Alphonso Jackson, Colin Powell, and Condoleeza Rice

I supported and predicted a win by Barack, on this very board, even before he announced he was running.

All I'm saying now is that the same level of support I saw for him two years ago, in the Black community, is virtually gone. And as far as white folks are concerned you can forget about it.

So if Barack gives a few dollars of tax payer's money to a few struggling HBCU's and if he has inspired some Black youth -- that is just great. Because at the end of the day, Black folks have not caught this much sh-t since before 1865.

So when people see Wall Street being given damn near a trillion dollars to save their butts and now folks are talking about eliminating the home mortgage deduction to pay for huge deficits. You can understand why Black folks are just a little be uninspired by Mr. Obama lately...

…and Chris that is just part of the reason the Dems have f'ed up.

Chris I just think people are frustrated and are willing to listen to anyone that will promise them that they will make things better than they are now...

(I think this analysis is naive. The opposition to him and the Democrats started the day he won.

But the Democrats and Obama cannot excape the blame.

Here in Missouri Robin Carnahan ran a lousy campaign especially in the heavily Democratic districts. When I pointed this out to some of her supporters their answer was that she was not a very gregarious person, was kind of shy, etc.

What kind of damn politician can you make with this sort of make up.

Obama ran off from his base. He tried to cozy up to people who knew that was the kiss of death (to be seen cozying up to him)

Look at him now, going overseas after getting this ass whupping instead of trying to repair the damage.

He ain't gonna make any points with those foreigners in such a weakened position.

He should fire all his advisers. They have been remiss in underestimating the type of racism and vitriol the first Black President would face. If there is a failing in white liberals (not radicals) it is in being unable to face up to the racism of other white folks.

Maybe they would have to face up to their own racism, then.

Obama had to see that he was re elected, that he had majorities in both houses. Then maybe he could do something.

The Democratic party has to forget FDR, JFK and LBJ. This ain't 1932.

Black folks just will not vote at all and he needs all the votes he can get from us.

"Black folks cannot and could not swing it for Barack. It would have taken all those young people and college students of many backgrounds that came out in 2008 and were more or less told to go sit down afterward.

You think George Bush ran it in the ground.

Wait til Sarah Palin and the teabaggers are through.

breathebooks can you describe the support for the HBCU's?

White House Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities

As far as inspiring youth. Are you serious? Have you been in a classroom lately. Have you been on the streets of any inner city neighborhood?

I do hear inspired youth at church, the barber, and in the homes. Not as much in the streets themselves.

You are right, how could I forget Valerie. But not a single Brother -- why can't it be 5 brothers?

Five brothers was not ever part of the platfrom he ran on.

More significantly lets look at Barack's lily white (virtually) cabinet cabinet This "pales" in comparison to even Dubya who had Roderick Paige, Alphonso Jackson, Colin Powell, and Condoleeza Rice

It is possible that these were the best selections he could make to try and achieve his stated goals. The available pool of resumes of the best, brightest, and most experienced are not chocked full of brothers. We have to change that!

So if Barack gives a few dollars of tax payer's money to a few struggling HBCU's and if he has inspired some Black youth -- that is just great. Because at the end of the day, Black folks have not caught this much sh-t since before 1865.

Disagree. Reconstruction, Harlem Renaissance period, Jim Crow, and the civil rights era are but a few very tough time themselves.

So when people see Wall Street being given damn near a trillion dollars to save their butts and now folks are talking about eliminating the home mortgage deduction to pay for huge deficits. You can understand why Black folks are just a little be uninspired by Mr. Obama lately...

That was ugly for certain. Cleaning up a mess is ugly business that no one wants to do.

@breathebooks, your link supporting your assertion that Barack "supported HBCUs" indicated that he merely renewed an initiative started by the Carter administration and supported by the Bush administration. While I guess that is a good thing it is a pretty weak indication of how Pres. Obama is making a difference.

I don't know how many people you spend time around compared to myself (I would however suspect I have you bet), but don't hear too many people talking about how inspired they are by Barack nowadays.

breathebooks, do you really believe Black folks voted on Barack because of his platform. Black people spilled out in great numbers because it was an opportunity to put a Black man in the white house.

Again, out dismal turnout at the polls during this past midterm election is a reflection of this.

Breathebooks are you saying that Barack could not find 5 Black people brighter and more experienced to put on his cabinet than the ones there? Indeed Barack himself is not the brightest, most experienced person to hold the job as president.

It might sound like hyperbole, but more Black people are murdered, incarcerated, having children out of wedlock, undereducated or untrained meaningful work that any period you mentioned.

@Chris the democrats did not oppose Barack out the box what are you talking about?! Needless to say the Republicans were always against him.

@breathebooks, your link supporting your assertion that Barack "supported HBCUs" indicated that he merely renewed an initiative started by the Carter administration and supported by the Bush administration. While I guess that is a good thing it is a pretty weak indication of how Pres. Obama is making a difference.

The budget was increased about 5%. Also, some of the HBCU's are experiencing an acceleration of funding for various projects.

I don't know how many people you spend time around compared to myself (I would however suspect I have you bet), but don't hear too many people talking about how inspired they are by Barack nowadays.

You likely do have me beat with regard to the pulse on the gritty street of our big cities. The same individuals were likely not particularly inspired about their particular personel situations before either.

breathebooks, do you really believe Black folks voted on Barack because of his platform. Black people spilled out in great numbers because it was an opportunity to put a Black man in the white house.

It is their privilege to use their vote in that manner. Some also viewed him as vastly superior to all other candidates.

"...pulse on the gritty street of our big cities." That is cute breathebooks. ;)

There was one person ahead of me when I votes this time around. When Barack was on the ticket there were perhaps hundreds of eager and patient voters ahead of me. Barack needed the votes during the midterm election just as much; but he failed to inspire the Black electorate. This was not just in the underbelly of our urban ghettos but in suburban enclaves and bucolic countrysides as well.

While we agree that it one prerogative to vote any way they see fit. You have to agree that voting without considering the candidate's experience and qualifications could lead to disappointment when that missing experience becomes evident.

Do YOU honestly feel think Barack was "vastly" superior to Hillary Clinton?

"...pulse on the gritty street of our big cities." That is cute breathebooks. ;)

There was one person ahead of me when I votes this time around. When Barack was on the ticket there were perhaps hundreds of eager and patient voters ahead of me. Barack needed the votes during the midterm election just as much; but he failed to inspire the Black electorate. This was not just in the underbelly of our urban ghettos but in suburban enclaves and bucolic countrysides as well.

While we agree that it one prerogative to vote any way they see fit. You have to agree that voting without considering the candidate's experience and qualifications could lead to disappointment when that missing experience becomes evident.

Troy - lesson learned. I think I will take my little verbal toys and go home until such time as I may be ready to both offer and aggressively defend a POV. Right now, it is not productive for me to publicly defend the POTUS, or how I vote (or for whom and why), or to trade barbs with anyone. I appreciate this forum overall, and will look for other areas to contribute.

Somewhere someplace, Hillary Clinton secretly has to be alternating between gloating and breathing a sigh of relief because she didn't beat out Obama for the office of POTUS. But had she won, in the midst of all this national turmoil, she would've at least had the counsel and moral support of her experienced husband, whereas Obama is stuck with a bunch of amateurs not equal to the task. Even George Bush knew enough to surround himself with ruthless, calculating spin doctors.

Democratic voters apparently thought they had not only elected a smart "nigga" but a "bad" one and now the white males who backed Obama are accusing him of having no balls, of spending too much time apologizing for his mistakes instead of going on the attack. Just an example of what a no-win situation Obama's in is how the same males who criticized super bitch House Speaker Nancy Pelosi for being a liability because she was too abrasive and undiplomatic, are now scolding Obama for being too civil and wimpy.

So now we have the emergence of the Tea Party, a faction made up of a bunch of ignorant folks seeking simple solutions to complicated problems. Had the president been white, they may have given him a chance but Obama's missteps only served to reinforce their doubts about the capabilities of a black man, as salivating Republicans welcome into the fold these racist henchmen they can now use to do their dirty work.

Black folks, as usual, are left to hope for the best and expect the worst. Disillusioned idealists have referred to democracy as a "noble experiment" that failed, and this may yet be a phrase applied to Obama's presidency. Electing a black chief of state may have been an idea whose time had come, but Obama presently does not appear to be the man for the job. He lacks the wisdom that comes with age and the political savvy that comes from years of fighting in the trenches.

Yet, for the Obama faithful, maybe all is not lost. There's still time for "the office to make the man" instead of "the man making the office". And, ol Will Shakespeare's words still have relevancy.

"There is a tide in the affairs of men.

Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;

Omitted, all the voyage of their life

Is bound in shallows and in miseries.

On such a full sea are we now afloat,

And we must take the current when it serves,

Or lose our ventures."

"@Chris the democrats did not oppose Barack out the box what are you talking about?! Needless to say the Republicans were always against him."

Troy:

Herewith and I quote myself

****The opposition to him and the Democrats started the day he won***

Him AND the Democrats, I said.

"After the racist campaign she and her cracker husband waged in the primaries she was unacceptable to large numbers of African Americans. I for one would have voted for John McCain and Sarah Palin if by some hook or crook, she'd have gotten on the ticket.

THE VOTERS SPOKE. BARACK WAS SUPERIOR TO HILLARY CLINTON.