Interesting Discussion on African-AfricanAmerican Relations

• 3 weeks later...

I just now noticed the post @Pioneer1, it is over 90 minutes long, man I don't know when I'll get a chance to watch this.  90 minutes is a long time to invest in a amateur video with folks I don't know... why don't you share the time stamp(s) of the portions of the video you feel should be watched.

I confess that i harbor a resentment for African immigrants who come to this country with their condescending attitudes toward the slave descendants with whom they share little history,  - with their taking advantage of all the benefits they don't deserve because they haven't paid their dues.   As soon as i see or hear an African-sounding surname, i am turned off by the accolades the bearers receive in their adopted country.  i've never been impressed with the very ordinary, overrated Lupita Nyong'o who, for some reason became the anointed  darling of the entertainment media,  and i was disapppointed when goofy-lookin,  red-eyed Daniel  Kaluuya received best actor nominations for the movie "Get Out",  benefiting from the tokenism that could've just as easily been bestowed upon an authentic, more talented black American actor.  

I did admire Nelson Mandela because he stayed in his own lane. 

So sue me.  i'm prejudiced.  Donald Trump has made it okay for me to be this way.  Who knew?    

• Like 1

Troy

Actually I found the entire discussion interesting but it's been a while since I saw it and I'm a little on the lazy side to go through the entire thing taking snippets.

But I like the vibe of this Nigerian oriented show.

What impresses me about their various discussions is how they can sit down as men (and women) and discuss important topics in a civilized mature way without appearing to imitate White people (besides calling themselves the "house of commons").

Cynique

While AfroAmericans in America are snubbing Africans other Black people from around the world over meaningless slights and petty disagreements........
Latinos, Asians, and Arabs are out in the streets marching, tying up the courts, and spending millions of dollars to not only protect the Asians and Latinos who are ALREADY here but BRING more into the country.

Besides, I don't blame most Africans for the attitude they have of AfroAmericans.

Not only is the AfroAmerican community in America today dysfunctional......
But WE as AfroAmericans haven't properly welcomed out African brothers and sisters into this nation the way we SHOULD have.
So far White people have done a better job welcoming Africans than us....and that's a shame.

@Pioneer1i wasn't aware that Afro-Americans were snubbing African immigrants to this country. I was of the opinion that i belong to a small minority in my hostile attitude.  And holding this opinion, i am under the impression that most Afro-Americans have no problem with African immigrants.  And why do native-born black Americans have an obligation to welcome Africans into this country?  They have a perfect right to be indifferent toward these interlopers. 

And in being dysfunctional, the black American community  has a lot of company, the most obvious example being Trump and his supporters.  Not to mention the spine-impaired  Democrats.  The "me too" war between misbehaving white males and finger-pointing white harpies is a prime example of a dysfunction family.  

Now go back to mining more of the "gems" of wisdom which you glue together from the fragments of broken rot-gut whiskey bottles.   :wacko:

• Haha 1

@Cynique you raise a very interesting issue.  But I would be cautious and consider your resentment.  It is true Africans are receiving a great deal of accolades in the film industry.  This of course extends to the Idris Elba, the brothers who stared in Stars Wars and 12 Years a Slave (too lazy to look up the spelling of their names).  The same thing could be said for white america's love affair with the African writers.

I only say consider your resentment because it is formed from a white sensibility.  Black folks, globally, have far too much work to do to be bogged down by who white folk decide the flavor of the month will be.  So if they want to help praise on Lupita and ignore talented Black American's fine... but we must be careful in harboring resentment against other Blacks folks based upon what white folks do.

I'm not trying to, nor would I attempt to lecture you Cynique, but I'm really talking to everyone who might read this an share your sentiment.  I don't think is it a minority sentiment it is just one we don't often hear expressed because we really have a very limited voice in mainstream media.

@Pioneer1 I saved the video in my queue to stuff to watch.  I have no clue when I'll get to it but if I do i'll hit you up again.

@TroyThe main reason i harbor resentment toward African immigrants is because THEY have a condescending attitude toward native born black Americans.  I do try to keep all the superficial praise heaped upon these Africans by the white media in perspective.  The underlying implications of blacks presenting a united front against whites in a global setting strains my imagination.  But, - that's just me.  :blink:

This Country Racist Lunatic President Said He Does Not Want ,People From S_Hole Countries Africa And Haiti Coming To ,America. White Police In New  Jersey Said Niggers Are Like,ISIS ,They Have No Value. No Matter Africa Immigrants ,African-Descendants ,From Middle East They See Them As Less...Any Race Of People Not White In This Country Is Minority To The Racist White....

Cynique

i wasn't aware that Afro-Americans were snubbing African immigrants to this country. I was of the opinion that i belong to a small minority in my hostile attitude. And holding this opinion, i am under the impression that most Afro-Americans have no problem with African immigrants. And why do native-born black Americans have an obligation to welcome Africans into this country? They have a perfect right to be indifferent toward these interlopers.

Black Americans who don't like Africans are STILL a minority (thank goodness) but they're a SUBSTANTIAL minority of the Black community and the resentment is unfounded and really born out of IGNORANCE.

Despite hearing about their "attitude" towards you, what has an African actually DONE to you personally that makes you dislike them and call them "interlopers"?

I haven't heard you say this about Asians, Arabs, and Latinos....many of whom CLEARLY have an attitude of dislike towards you and have no problem expressing it.

And in being dysfunctional, the black American community has a lot of company, the most obvious example being Trump and his supporters.

Trump is far from dysfunctional.
Given his recent behavior, I'd say he's functioning EXACTLY the way those who put him in office want him to function.

Perhaps not as fast as they'd like.
But functioning none the less.

Troy

It is true Africans are receiving a great deal of accolades in the film industry. This of course extends to the Idris Elba, the brothers who stared in Stars Wars and 12 Years a Slave (too lazy to look up the spelling of their names). The same thing could be said for white america's love affair with the African writers.

Actually the brother who starred in the movie Get Out..Daniel Kaluuya...is an African of Ugandan descent.

So is John Boyega who played the security guard in the movie Detroit.

Many Africans are indeed coming up not just in the film industry but in professional positions all over America for atleast 2 major reasons:

1. White people clearly like and respect Black people "from abroad" more than they do AfroAmericans and we've seen this for a long time.
As soon as they hear a Black person with an accent, they automatically like them or atleast respect them.

2. Most Africans tend to have a more professional attitude when it comes to work and study than most AfroAmericans and this has been noticed by most people both Black and White for decades.

@Pioneer1Spare  me your insipid reprimands about my prerogatives. I've noted with disdain how Muslims, Hispanics and Asian are not our allies in the black struggle and just because you can't recall this,  means nothing -  like everything else you drone about. (It's really presumptuous of you to think i have to justify to you why i don't  like  snide African interlopers who I have personally heard ridicule native born blacks. But thanks for providing me with an opportunity to tell you that i don't give a damn if my sentiments about  immigrants offend you.) 

And speaking of ignorance, your saying that just because Trump satisfies his followers proves that he's not dysfunction is ridiculous inasmuch as how he functions results in the government malfunctioning. Furthermore, even the inmates who are running the white house insane asylum are aware of Trump's psychological disorders, and they either humor or correct or overrule his idiocy.  He's  accomplished very little and the only reason those who put him in office are satisfied is because, like him,  they are dysfunctional.  

On 1/28/2018 at 7:49 PM, Pioneer1 said:

1. White people clearly like and respect Black people "from abroad" more than they do AfroAmericans and we've seen this for a long time.
As soon as they hear a Black person with an accent, they automatically like them or atleast respect them.

2. Most Africans tend to have a more professional attitude when it comes to work and study than most AfroAmericans and this has been noticed by most people both Black and White for decades.

😴     More mansplaining pearls of wisdom plucked from a dollar store string of fake beads.   

Cynique

But thanks for providing me with an opportunity to tell you that i don't give a damn if my sentiments about immigrants offend you

If you REALLY didn't give a damn then you wouldn't follow all of your ever-evasive responses to my question (what has an African ever done to you PERSONALLY)....with cheap corny insults.

Your caustic behavior isn't one of indifference.
It's one of malicious intent...lol.

More mansplaining pearls of wisdom plucked from a dollar store string of fake beads

Oh, I see you noticed....lol....you LIKE these beads huh?

Well I got them from the same store you got YOUR book on White feminist terminology.
You know.....
The $1 pamphlet where you learned the term "mansplaining" from....lol.

Because you sure as hell didn't come up with that phrase on your own, you copy it from the White women you admire.

@Pioneer1Do people have to go into detail as to why they dislike Donald Trump, who has personally never done anything to them?  I said i was prejudiced against Africans, implying that i don't like the effect of their collective presence in this country.  And i repeat:i owe you no further explanation in spite your attempt to emulate the incarnation of a wrathful African god. So take your "demands" and stick 'em up your flared nostrils.   

Cynique

I asked you, despite hearing about their "attitude" towards Black Americans, what has an African actually done to YOU PERSONALLY to earn your disdain, dislike, and you calling them "interlopers"????

Your response?

"
Do people have to go into detail as to why they dislike Donald Trump, who has personally never done anything to them? I said i was prejudiced against Africans, implying that i don't like the effect of their collective presence in this country. And i repeat:i owe you no further explanation in spite your attempt to emulate the incarnation of a wrathful African god. So take your "demands" and stick 'em up your flared nostrils. "

<_<I'll take that as YOUR way of saying they actually did NOTHING to you, lol.

You can take it anyway you want to, you dimwit.  Who cares? I don't. 

Wow! I really like this discussion! I see good points on both sides. However, I have to disagree with bro Troy. I noticed your attempt to explain or at least rationalize the dissonance between black Americans and Africans. White people have nothing to do with the pro/con points Ms. Cynique and Pioneer are making. I really tire at this nefarious attempt to explain any dysfunction among black people as a direct result of white intervention. Black people are free to make independent personal decisions about their lives. They are also free to make observations and assessments about other black people (good or bad) without the white man whispering in their ear, dictating their every opine.

@Xeon, sure white people absolutely have something to do with it.  We don't green light big budget films, give 7-figure advances, or select academy award winners. White folks determine who is successful, and as a result define what is valuable and noteworthy.  Problems arise from the inevitable mismatch between what white folks validate and what Black folks think should be validated.

So when African "condescend" as Cynique described it is because they believe the hype.  In other words the white validation has gone to their heads and they believe they are better than American Blacks...  It is already a cliche that foreign Blacks are naturally harder working and smarter than American Blacks.  Of course this is silly, but people believe it, in part because white folks believe it.

When we view the world from the perspective of white folks we get into trouble with each other.

• Thanks 1

Troy

sure white people absolutely have something to do with it. We don't green light big budget films, give 7-figure advances, or select academy award winners. White folks determine who is successful, and as a result define what is valuable and noteworthy. Problems arise from the inevitable mismatch between what white folks validate and what Black folks think should be validated.

Excellently stated.

And I agree.
I think we have different values and a different value system all together which leads to a lot of social conflict in everyday American life between Blacks and Whites.

Black Americans aren't a monolith but I do believe that...like you said....we have our own ideas of what should be validated.