To Care or not to Care

Last night, at the much-anticipated Golden Globe Awards telecast from Hollywood,  amidst an ebony sea of sexually-harassed women and their sympathizers, all of whom were garbed in black to display their protest against male predators in the work place, Queen Oprah took to the stage and hit the ball out the park with her speech.  There to accept a life time achievement award, Winfrey took the occasion to address the issue that has spawned the "me too" movement  made up of women who have long endured being humiliated and disrespected by employers in a position to get away doing this.  From all walks of life,  victims are now coming out of the woodwork to tell their stories and offer explanations for why they were too  intimidated to remain silent about this ongoing abuse. The band wagon is full speed ahead.

Whatever. A bespectacled  "O" was a force of nature as she vibrated there, all slimmed down in a low-cut black gown, her naturally abundant hair helped along with silky extensions, and she  brought the audience to its feet with her well-rehearsed pep talk replete with a warning that "a new day is on the horizon"! Lewd misconduct that degrades female employees will no longer be tolerated, nor will disparity in salaries between men and women performing the same job go unchallenged. It's "on" now,  and i can't help but wonder if this momentous crusade might reap an ironic outcome.

Meanwhile, in the aftermath of her  sensational performance, Television,  The Press and Social Media have all exploded with speculation about the possibility of Oprah's stirring speech being a prelude to her throwing her hat in the ring, and running for President!  One of the presenters at this awards show even joked about this, suggesting that actor Tom Hanks be her running mate.  Would that be an unbeatable combination?

A presidential run by Oprah is mind-boggling, and her election would be an incredible achievement which would top an incredible life's journey.   I have mixed emotions.  Is a rich, black, woman president the cure to what ails this nation? Should Trump still be around to run again,  a "mammy" figure candidate defeating a  "slave master" incumbent would certainly be the stuff of poetic justice. Would an Oprah victory be the final nail in the coffin of the United States where a substantial portion of the population is still afflicted with racism and sexism?  Or, would a Trump win trigger rebellious unrest among the citizens fed up with his brand of government? Who knows?  It's bad enough that i have to try and hang on until 2019 to see the conclusion of "Game of Thrones".  Now this.  if i want to see what happens in 2020 , i'll have to try and last yet another year.

i think i'll take a "pass".      😣

• Like 1

America "jumped the shark" with the election of 45.  The media have made the presidential campaign another reality television series. I'm sure ANYONE who runs against Trump will win -- even Oprah. 

But just the idea of bring her up as a candidate is the same thing they did with 45 -- giving him all the coverage and ignoring legitimate candidates.  The media got rich and we got 45.

But if the 2020 election is between to celebrities 45 v Oprah; I absolutely will NOT VOTE.  I don't wanna hear any noise about who died so that I have the privilege to vote.  They did not die so that my choice would be between an semi-literature scam artist and billionaire talk show host. 

Hey @Delano, what are the rents like down under?

I don't agree that anyone who runs against Trump will automatically win.  A lot can happen between now and 2020.  His support base may expand, increased by a backlash of whites tired of the POTUS being vilified by the hated media.  If the evidence against him isn't sufficient enough to try  him, and the economy remains stable, and Trump's saber rattling keeps hostile countries in check and maintains the peace, - as keeper of the status quo, Trump may very well be re-elected if he runs again. 

• Thanks 1

You might be right Cynique -- especially if folks like me refuse to even be a part of the travesty our electoral process has become.

Del I don't know what that means. From your perspective do you think people (or I) would be better off, in general, where you are compared to a major urban center here in the U.S.  Are there any other Afro-Americans where you are?

If Oprah ran for President.....I've readily vote for her.

She's a smart self-made Black woman who's overcome many obstacles in her life to get where she is.
Ofcourse she had a lot of support also, but she earned that support by being a natural winner whom people could count on to always come through and accomplish.

She's also very likable and business savvy.

What better gift can a President and world leader have than excellent PEOPLE SKILLS?

She's just what this nation needs.

BTW.....she gave us Obama.

Incase people forgot, Oprah was among the first people in public to throw their support behind Barack Obama and she promoted him.

• Like 1

@Pioneer1 so what.

Self made Black women are a dime a dozen.  Black women overcoming obstacles is par for the course.  This is not why Oprah would be elected she would be elected for the same reason 45 was elected, she is a celebrity. 

45 has all the other qualities you've ascribed to Oprah. 

Orpah did not give us Obama. More than 90% of Black people, including myself, supported Obama from jump street.

Please, I'm sick of celebrities.  Just because one is on TV all the time does not make them qualified to be president.  At least Obama sat in the senate for a few minutes -- Let Oprah do that first then maybe I'd consider it.

-------

Del i made need to visit.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Incase people forgot, Oprah was among the first people in public to throw their support behind Barack Obama and she promoted him.

@Pioneer1 I didn't forget.  I even wrote about it on myspace  I called her move "hiding behind the penis"... OMG (It's 2018 and I'm agreeing with Pioneer LOL) You're correct  Oprah was absolutely instrumental in his rise in the black community and yes the white community too...

"Then he went on tour with Oprah Winfrey, whom he had gotten to know when she interviewed him after his speech at the Democratic National Convention in 2004. "  New York Times December 29, 2007   "A Biracial Candidate Walks His Own Fine Line"

On 1/8/2018 at 9:16 PM, Cynique said:

Should Trump still be around to run again,  a "mammy" figure" candidate defeating a  "slave master" incumbent would certainly be the stuff of poetic justice. Would an Oprah victory be the final nail in the coffin of the United States where a substantial portion of the population is still afflicted with racism and sexism?

@Cynique   Your post communicates perfectly why I've been rolling my eyes since social media has all but put Oprah on the 2020 Presidential ballot. 

I''m embarrassed by how we, United States citizens, act as if we're extras in a television show.     I'm still waiting for the fall of Rome because so far, I see the entire civilization continuously play out in my newspaper, social media and sometimes television (if I don't have it tuned to some fantasy show).

I didn't watch the golden globe award show because I don't watch award shows...but folks being moved by an Oprah speech means we are truly controlled by mythology and storytelling.  We fall for the facade of shiny things and really don't look for substance anymore.  

As much as I write about the benefits of an Obama Administration, I've never fell victim to his narrative.

Quiet as kept, I never listened to his speeches either. I read them. This after I learned from a Chicago reporter, who covered him in early years, how Mr. Obama practiced his cadence until he perfected it to stir the audience.  Anyway,  I see the same in Oprah.  She has goals and she achieves them.  I admire that in her, period. 

But like the rest of the players, she has the hero's journey (monomyth) down to a science and people respond emotionally.   Like you've written,  she's the photo negative of  45*.   Oprah was most likely tapped because "they" suspect  45* isn't the beacon for consumer spending.   Nothing tanks America's economy faster than us holding onto our purse strings. 

If folks can't see how easily we're played then we need to revisit all 11 seasons of the  X-Files ;)

• Thanks 2

I agree that the masses are easily manipulated and that there are masters who have perfected the art of manipulating others for personal gain and ego gratification, especially in the political arena where image is everything, and where  staffs exist for the purpose of advising candidates on how to mesmerize audiences.    i also don't put anything past private industry when it uses subliminal advertising to sell products or Big Pharma and its designer drugs that hook white suburbanites, -  who, incidentally, have their kids injected with vaccines just like everyone else.  Militant black men in Afro-centric garb, wearing serpentine dread locks are particularly vocal about birth control clinics in black neighborhoods but rarely offer alternatives except to foolishly advise single sistas to "keep on havin' them babies"!  Or have i ever doubted that the cigarette industry contrived to addict the general public to nicotine, a travesty that was exposed by the government. And, of course, there was Microsoft's latest scam that involved slowing down older iPhones.   i am not naive as to how profit driven the world is.

As an aside, it should be noted, that demographics play a big part in marketing, and specific groups of consumers are targeted in one way or another by companies that specialize in providing diverse groups their specific needs. Supply and demand is the gospel of a capitalistic country like America and it permeates our way of life. That's why I also know that all those being manipulated are not above manipulating others in their day-to-day lives.  Ethics and scruples are in short supply today and the majority of folks will try and get away with anything they can. Everybody is seeking self empowerment.  

Obviously, i have never bought into the idea that there is a secret government network that specifically targets black people, and is busily at work to bring about dire results.  Ironically, partisan politics is a kind of safety net that prevents the government from  being unified enough  to personify an organized evil force that wide-eyed conspiracy theorists, who are "in the know", warn about. I look at the big picture, and i question out-dated studies, and inconclusive results, and I take feasibility and logistics into account. Nobody holds this country in contempt any more than i but i always challenge what others are adamant about.  That's what my man, Buddha, advised people to do.

When it comes to Oprah,  what i really noticed about her speech was that there was no spontaneity to it.  It was well-crafted and well rehearsed and delivered with the gusto she is so good at displaying. Nobody can deny that she is a good performer.  As for her running for president, i'm not enthusiastic.   It would be Obama all over again.  Considering her resume, she would fall into the category of being a president who is a black woman, not a black woman who is president.  She would be trapped in the familiar scenario of not being able to please everybody, and would end up the butt of criticism for not catering to the demands of the different factions who helped elect her.  She can do more good by just being a private citizen who gives dynamic speeches that make headlines.   IMO. 

• Thanks 1

I think when you amass a billion dollars you transcend categories. 

The US doesn't have royalty.  The role of royalty is to show commoners how to conduct themselves. Celebrity is our royalty .

I remember listening to Obama speak he is a riveting speaker and he is a magician. If you read his speeches instead of listening they are completely different. 

@Mel Hopkins I will quote Morpheus. Welcome to the real world.

Agreeing with Pioneer. Who else wants the red pill. 

Martin Luther King was certainly a mesmerizing speaker because  of his rich voice,  the rhythmic cadence of his speech pattern, and  his frequent use of the "call and response" rapport with his audiences.  All great orators have discovered and perfected these techniques.  That's why they're great orators.

If the English monarchy with all of its vapid family members and tabloid scandals is an example of teaching commoners how to conduct themselves, heaven help the commoners.  Probably  why these blokes have been relegated to figureheads who are good for London's tourist trade.

Some political pundits have blamed celebrities for contributing to Hillary Clinton's defeat because she was the darling of the liberal show biz crowd and this turned off a lot of voters who resented celebrities for trying to influence their vote. Trump's celebrity didn't really help his victory.  It was his rejection and ridicule of the  politically correct agenda, and identity politics of the Democratic platform that endeared him to all of the bigots out there. Celebrity is a double-edge sword. Just as many or even more people have no use for the rich and famous Kardashians as there are those who like them.

Real world?   "The Matrix" wasn't the real world; it was a fictional movie, full of a lot of fictional dialogue.  One person's reality is another one's delusions - which is why i'm sure you'll disagree with my comments.  :lol:

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:48 AM, Mel Hopkins said:

@Pioneer1 I didn't forget.  I even wrote about it on myspace  I called her move "hiding behind the penis"... OMG (It's 2018 and I'm agreeing with Pioneer LOL) You're correct  Oprah was absolutely instrumental in his rise in the black community and yes the white community too...

"Then he went on tour with Oprah Winfrey, whom he had gotten to know when she interviewed him after his speech at the Democratic National Convention in 2004. "  New York Times December 29, 2007   "A Biracial Candidate Walks His Own Fine Line"

I still remember her coming on and saying, "I'm feeling Obama" to her audience and them cheering in response.

That woman MADE Obama.

I think the least he could do is return the favor.