Double Trouble

Battle lines have been drawn within certain enclaves of the black community, and conflict is swirling around 2 high-profile men, - a couple of guys who controversy seems to follow. Kanye West and LeBron James? Nope. The males in question, although the subject of different debates, have a certain thing in common. Who are they? What are their names? None other than - Barack Obama and Tyler Perry!

The rueful President just recently admitted that he had taken a “shellacking” courtesy of the Republican mid-term election landslide. And, although film-maker Tyler hasn’t publicly acknowledged it, he is being raked over the coals by irate critics of his latest movie, “For Colored Girls”. Behold the dynamic duo, Barack and Tyler, two guys under fire, the targets of scorn and ridicule.

Nevertheless, they also have their defenders. Black loyalists continue to shield Obama against the slings and arrows of the Republicans, Independents, and Democratic defectors who deplore his stimulus bailouts and how he’s strayed from the platform he ran on. Likewise, a broad spectrum of Sistas are defending Tyler from the wrath of the Brothas offended by his movie’s negative implications about black men.

What has ensued is a volatile situation that raises questions. Together, did Barack and Tyler inadvertently create a black monster? Mix a bad economy and high unemployment with the release of a female-oriented movie about the inadequacies of males, and the ongoing resentments between the opposing sexes escalate. And could this bad karma have rubbed off on Barack and Tyler? They both defied the odds, and their rise up the ladder of success was phenomenal. But in the wake of all the scathing attacks that are making their accomplishments pale in comparison, Obama and Perry have to wonder what it would be like to bask in the wide-spread approval that would validate them. How much more legitimate might they feel if they could be held in unanimous high esteem?

Yes, the victorious American president and the successful Hollywood producer achieved what they wanted. But did anybody bother to warn them to be careful what they wished for because if they got it, they could wind up wondering whether Fate has a grudge against black men. Like our forefathers, Barack Obama and Tyler Perry are learning the hard way that respect is not only a priceless commodity, but an elusive one.

As usual an interesting editorial Cynique.

I think Barack, once his presidency is over and they've renamed a gazilion schools and avenues after him will go down in history as a trailblazing, leader, a great man.

History, I suspect, will be kind to Tyler too.

Universal respect and adulation right now, during their prime, or even life times will be difficult. But is that not the case with Black people in general? Uber-successful Black people have it even worse.

MLK and Malcolm were very controversial figures, in the Black community, during their lives. It was not until years after they were murdered that they were universally respected.

Condi, Clarence and Colin, despite fantastic levels of success, but any measure, are regularly lambasted by black folks.

Billionaires Bob Johnson, and Oprah can';t seems to win universal love from black folks either.

They say if you ain't got anyone hatin' on you, then you ain't doing shit.

Looks like Tyler and Barack are doing plenty...of shit.

LOL @ Troy. Obama and Perry have earned a name for themselves but history is not always kind to the famous, and it dismisses mediocrity. MLK and Malcolm X, of course, became instant heroes when they were martyred by assassinations.

This is what you call a Democratic society where people are allowed to speak their own minds.

I don't have to like Barak or Tyler even if they are walking on water. Criticsm goes with the job.

An old Gospel Singer by the name of Martha Bass used to say if you are going to be out here in public you better have a rubber butt cuz you are going to get it kicked.

I don't feel sorry for them one bit. They are doing fine. They need to suck it up and keep pushing.

I don't feel sorry for them one bit. They are doing fine. They need to suck it up and keep pushing.

This is true. They have to keep on doing what they are doing. There is little to nothing they can do about the haters. Like you said, it comes with the job and the haters are going to spew their toxic venom no matter what you do. Even if you did something they liked or approved of they are still going to criticize you! No getting around it.....

Gee, Guys, I certainly wasn't suggesting that Obama and Perry are entitled to have pity parties thrown for them. I'd be the first to agree that nobody is ever "promised a rose garden". I just juxtaposed these 2 to show how black men are damned if they do, and damned if they don't. The males in Tyler's movies "did't", and Obama "did", and still they all catch hell. Tough shit.