The New Religion

@zaji I  found a long article about the Akashic records stored away on my computer, - a saved document I didn't even know i had. :o

Maybe we come here knowing everything because we are each microcosms of a Supreme Intelligence, and during the course of our lives,  events and incidents nudge our memory causing info to "come to us".  Also, hasn't it been claimed that we are only using a small portion of our brain? So who knows what's stored in its unused lobes?  :blink:

• Like 2

I think the link is unconscious. It doesn't reside in space and is also outside of time. Like the creator/creators.

So underneath I believe we are linked with everything in this universe. The sum of which is the ultimate.

Since this link is not physical yes

we are dreaming.

It could be that Numbers are considered a universal in a way language is not. Although I don't think this has to be true. It could just be another symbolic subset of our type of thinking.

The mind doesn't reside in space and is also outside of time. Like the creator/creators.

So underneath I believe we are linked with everything in this universe. The sum of which is the ultimate.

Since this link is not physical, our existence is akin to dreaming.

Numbers are considered a universal in a way language is not. Although I don't think this has to be true. It could just be another symbolic subset of our type of thinking.

• Like 4

Cynique

I admit I was wrong for spelling "congratulating" as "congradulating".

But will YOU admit that YOU were wrong for saying that science NEVER espouses religion after several of us have shown you otherwise?

Will YOU accept some responsibility for a change?

Troy

even a broken clock is "NEVER" wrong, for it is correct 2 seconds every 24 hours. Of course only unreasonable people will argue that the clock is valid for that reason

I don't understand your analogy.

A broken clock may be right SOME of the time but wrong MOST of the time.
How does "never" even factor into this example?

Also keep in mind the terms BC AD are relatively new. There are thousands of years by scientists, in multiple cultures, where these terms were not used (for obvious reasons). Why hang your hat on such a specious and weak point? Is it really just to "win" this argument?

Lol....come on bro, my motives are irrelevant.

Whether the point is weak or strong is also irrelevant.

Nor does it matter when BC or AD started being used by science.  The fact that these terms are used at any time CANCELS OUT the statement that religion is NEVER espoused to science.

Like Del said, if we take the emotions out of it.........

Either what I'm saying is correct or it isn't.

Either what Cynique said was correct or it wasn't.

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

admit I was wrong for spelling "congratulating" as "congradulating".

But will YOU admit that YOU were wrong for saying that science NEVER espouses religion after several of us have shown you otherwise?

Will YOU accept some responsibility for a change?

Misspelling a word is the least of your shortcomings.  Belaboring this point is just another thread in your security blanket.  I have no intention of humoring you.  Get over yourself and move on.  

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

lso keep in mind the terms BC AD are relatively new. There are thousands of years by scientists, in multiple cultures, where these terms were not used (for obvious reasons). Why hang your hat on such a specious and weak point? Is it really just to "win" this argument?

That's a good example because all of the other ways of counting the years are also based on religion. 

I mentioned this earlier. 

@Troy @Pioneer. 

If you got rid of the church and religion would it change science? I would say so. Science and Religion attempt to answer large questions. The validity of those answers appears to be personal. 

Pioneer if you don't understand my analogy, you may not understand the word "never."

Del it is not clear to me why you insist the science could not exist without religion.  I'd argue that science -- especially in the last several hundred years -- exists despite religion.

The BC/AD strikes me as weak way to draw a relationship between the two, indeed some use BCE.  In any case, the names are irrelevant to how science is practiced. This is like arguing that since the planets are named after Roman gods, that science is would not exist without  to Roman mythology.  Would you also make that argument too?

• Like 1

Del

If you got rid of the church and religion would it change science? I would say so. Science and Religion attempt to answer large questions. The validity of those answers appears to be personal.

If they were to get rid of church and religion, not only would "science" collapse in the West but WESTERN CIVILIZATION ITSELF would collapse.

Western civilizatoin was built off of Christian morality and values.

Even most atheists in the West adhere to basic Christian values.....

They get married and those marriages are monogamous.
They take Sundays off on most of their jobs and don't do business transactions on Sundays.
They use Christmas and Thanksgiving as opportunities to spend time with their families and tie up the airports.

They even use the expression "oh my god" on a routine basis but CLAIM they don't mean anything by it, lol.

My reason is the first university from 1500'school were religious in origin. Part of Isaac Newton's university education required him to swear religious oaths. So that is within the last few hundred years. He also dedicated Principa Mathematica  to God. on the hopes it would increase the number of believers.  Is that information irrelevant to you?

10 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Del

If they were to get rid of church and religion, not only would "science" collapse in the West but WESTERN CIVILIZATION ITSELF would collapse.

Western civilizatoin was built off of Christian morality and values.

Even most atheists in the West adhere to basic Christian values.....

They get married and those marriages are monogamous.
They take Sundays off on most of their jobs and don't do business transactions on Sundays.
They use Christmas and Thanksgiving as opportunities to spend time with their families and tie up the airports.

They even use the expression "oh my god" on a routine basis but CLAIM they don't mean anything by it, lol.

Except for the last paragraph I agree. 

1 minute ago, Pioneer1 said:

Del

No, i
t's not irrelevant.

It's actually in line with what I said earlier about doctors having to swear a HIPPOCRATIC OATH.
They are basically taking an oath to Hippocrates who is an important figure in ancient Greek mythology.

The above statement yes. But remember on Good Times when Florida dates the Atheist after James dies. It's like people saying Holy Cow in the US.

Sapienza University of Rome, 1303

Given its date of founding, it’s no surprise that Sapienza University of Rome has racked up its fair share of Nobel Laureate alumni and professors. In addition to its place as the 11th oldest university in the world, Sapienza was also the first pontifical university, created by Pope Boniface VII

@Troy

Originally founded as the College of New Jersey by New Light Presbyterians in order to train ministers, Princeton University retains a number of landmarks 1746

@Pioneer1 and @DelHate to let a few facts intrude on your back-scratching session,  but  medical science has radically updated the Hippocratic oath which originated with an ancient Greek PHYSICIAN who was NOT a religious figure.    You two aren't even aware of how you are slowing transforming this subject from a case of science espousing religion to one of religion accommodating science, as you draw very heavily on Greek mythology to support your claims.  But since this subject has become your obsession, have at it. Whatever turns you on.  It has become a source of amusement for me. :lol:

@Delano was that a typo or do you really not know that the first universities predated the 1500 by several thousand years.

@Pioneer1 I think part of the problem is that you too are tying science to Western civilization which is relatively new even the stuff Hippocrates knew was taken from Kemet. Science predates Christianity.

Science does not start with Europeans climbing out of the Dark Ages. Part of the way you guys are talking seems to indicate a belief that it does. I guess your Western education makes this so.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Troy said:

@Delano was that a typo or do you really not know that the first universities predated the 1500 by several thousand years.

Where those University based on Chistianity Troy? 

7 hours ago, Troy said:

@Pioneer1 I think part of the problem is that you too are tying science to Western civilization which is relatively new even the stuff Hippocrates knew was taken from Kemet. Science predates Christianity.

Science does not start with Europeans climbing out of the Dark Ages. Part of the way you guys are talking seems to indicate a belief that it does. I guess your Western education makes this so.

Troy I named the first religous universities.  Can you name yours and what they taught. 

Timbuktoo aand the library of Alexandria are closed. The pyramids predate Pythagoras but it is named after him. I am well aware that the source of knowledge and wealth comes from Africa. Whether that's gold diamonds slaves or rare earth elements. 

However the science that is practiced is from a White European base. Harvard Oxford Cambridge are the Gold standard. Can you name one African University that has the same name recognition. Harvard  intuitions were started by a religious order.

You can argue that the base of knowledge and wealth comes from Africa. And you would be right. I would agree with you. But it doesn't matter. Hown many of your degrees from African Universities. At what point in your educational career did you consider an African University?

When I was younger I would not even consider an HBCU let alone an African one.  You are old enough to remember when being call a "Black African" was in insult.  Today I feel completely differently, because I know more and try to fight against propaganda that is feed us.

@Delano, even if I were to agree with you on how Universities were founded, the point is of no consequence because how science is practiced has nothing to do with the manner in which a university was founded anymore than the tactics used on the school's football team or the lessons taught in the business schools.  Wouldn't you agree?

I actually teach web design at the college level right now. What I teach, and the how I teach it, has nothing to do with the way the school was founded.

Does that also mean that Christianity endorsing the slave trade is of no consequence? Or that the internet is built on a military platform? Or that none of the founding father were working class. Or that the Rhodes scholarship was founded by the family the funded Cecil Rhodes , Rhodesia is named after him? I think all of those are of consequence?

So the roots of something, have no consequence of what fruit is borne. This is one of our points of depature. 

3 hours ago, Delano said:

So the roots of something, have no consequence of what fruit is borne. This is one of our points of depature. 

Well this is something you can't generalize about.  Specifically, what effect did all of the institutions you referred to have on Science?

• Thanks 2

There aren't women in dominant positions on the church. That is also true in education and as a consequence commerce. I thought it would be obvious that this is true for science as well/ The church is a patriarchal structure. And is the foundation for most systems in the U.S. One nation under God.

No, I don't see the connections because you are NOT making them. 

For example, what does the question you posed, "Does that also mean that Christianity endorsing the slave trade is of no consequence" have to do with the statement I previously made or the influences between religion and science that you are asserting?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Troy said:

No, I don't see the connections because you are making them

What does this mean.

On 12/03/2018 at 12:13 PM, Delano said:

On 12/03/2018 at 10:01 PM, Delano said:

The church is a patriarchal structure. And is the foundation for most systems in the U.S. One nation under God.

12 hours ago, Troy said:

Del you are all over the place now.  Did the point I made have any impact on you? 

11 hours ago, Delano said:

Am I all over the place or do you not see the connections.

3 hours ago, Troy said:

No, I don't see the connections because you are making them. 

So does it sound like I am all over the shop. When you read the above posts.

The was a typo in my last post, which I corrected (I'm sure you understand typos).  Something tells me you knew what I meant though.

Dude, leaving the question mark off, still makes it a question.  Why do you insist on answering my questions with a question?  I asked you a direct question and you jumped somewhere else.

I asked you what does your most recent statement, "Does that also mean that Christianity endorsing the slave trade is of no consequence"  have to do with the statement I previously made or the influence between religion and science that you are asserting?  

If you dodge my questions only to ask seemingly unrelated questions we won't get anywhere.

Del I gave you one prime example when I wrote;

I actually teach web design at the college level right now. What I teach, and the how I teach it, has nothing to do with the way the school was founded.

You did not address this.  Would you care to do it now?

I  see that you chose not to answer my question again. I can only assume that you agree with what I wrote.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Troy said:

I  see that you chose not to answer my question again. I can only assume that you agree with what I wrote.

Assume that you are always right, most people's opinions are always correct. Although feel free to disagree with any or all of this.

21 hours ago, Del said:

You believe something's origin has no bearing.

To me not only do I disagree I can't see how that is possible.

Can you give me two examples.

12 hours ago, Troy said:

I ask you to clarify your position. You respond by answering one of   my questions. Then state I haven't answered your question. Then assume my lack of response means you were correct all along. This is pointless.

@Troy

Del please try not to copy what I just wrote.  Here you've done it back-to-back.  Again if you are responding directly to what I just wrote it is unnecessary and creates clutter which make it harder to shift through and read your thoughts.

As far as your response; I'm confused bruh.  Maybe that is a good indication we've gone as far as we can with this one ;)

• Like 2

Del

But remember on Good Times when Florida dates the Atheist after James dies. It's like people saying Holy Cow in the US.

Yes,
And if you'll remember James himself wasn't the biggest believer...lol.
Remember when he teased Florida by looking at his watch and giving "God" so many seconds to perform some sort of act and his watch ended up stopping.....LOL.

Cynique

Hippocratic oath which originated with an ancient Greek PHYSICIAN who was NOT a religious figure.

I know who Hippocrates was, but an OATH is still taken either to him or to a deity in his name.
Which makes it a RELIGIOUS ACT.
Oaths are religious acts.....which is why they usually have you put your hand on the BIBLE to take an oath in court.

Specifically, what effect did all of the institutions you referred to have on Science?

How about naming the "atom" after "Adam"...a religious character of Judaism and Christianity.

Troy

I think part of the problem is that you too are tying science to Western civilization which is relatively new even the stuff Hippocrates knew was taken from Kemet. Science predates Christianity

I have to tell you the same thing I told Mel who brought up how much Western civilization may have stolen from Africa; once the West gets ahold of it.....it's not the same.

Ofcourse they got a lot of the knowledge they use for SCIENCE from Africa as well as other ancient societies, but once they prepare it and modify it to fit Western science, that knowledge is no longer the same.

Truth and knowledge predates Christianity, but "science" doesn't.
"Science" itself is a Western institution.
It's a Western way of collecting and organizing information.

12 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I know who Hippocrates was, but an OATH is still taken either to him or to a deity in his name.
Which makes it a RELIGIOUS ACT.
Oaths are religious acts.....which is why they usually have you put your hand on the BIBLE to take an oath in cou

Oaths are not exclusively religious acts.  And what deity is associated with Hippocrates? This oath is just a formality, and was unheard of  in Eastern culture, not to mention that the language in it changed over the centuries. Today, taking it is an option and the most recent version makes no reference to god.