WOULD YOU BELIEVE?

@Kalexander2, Del hasn't even seen the movie.  But that would be a good question.  If in fact he has seen the film, his honest response with lay this issue to rest.

@Delano, they can grant a degree in the film it would still not mean anything for Black people.  We don';t need time to tell us anything; a cursory knowledge of history could tell you how Black people will benefit.

@Delano, @Troy: Since this website is (mostly) concerned with ‘Black Literature (#ReadingBlack)’ and Black Panther is a Black film deserving of some literary merit; let’s induct it into the hall of “ReadingBlack” fame. Let’s compare or contrast its literary value for Black folk:

James Baldwin’s The Fire Next Time (1963) social essay to Black folk, was not to America, and not of its non-existent race problem. Devouring flesh of its adopted heirs. African America, the bastard children without a name or dignity to stop panning (No name in the Street, 1972). Was a warning and lesson. With the price of life and living these days, “you kant get dem no mo!”

Black Panther greatly fail the ‘niff test’ of social/literary value thereby rendering it a success; for the world of entertainment. Will not survive the test of time for anything except as an option to pass time.

I noticed brother, Delano, hasn’t responded my last post on this issue whether he’d seen or never seen it.

Black America's problems stem from the destruction of culture. Blacks have been invisible in history, and the media. You study what is important. So am in favour of positive exposure. What were you taught in history about Black Americans. What on your experience is the portrayal of Blacks in the media. Barack Obama, Tyson Degras(?) are symbolically important. Both men were  important to All people. Since they are leaders in a very competitive field, which is predominantly white. So they are beacons and will be welcomed amongst our current ones in sports and entertainment.

@Delano. My initial introduction to African American history was under Dr. William Brooks. Never took a formal course after that. Although I was honored to have conversed with numerous Black scholars during brief employment at Attorney Leo Branton’s law firm where my aunt Kendra worked as his legal secretary during the trial of Angela Davis.

I see you recognize Black identities of the figures you described; identity, image, and reputations downplayed by the media and reduced to that of a sports gladiator. And you’re right but identity isn’t the only, or main problem, though there are many.

On 20/03/2018 at 10:47 PM, Del said:

I have seen the movie. The beneficiaries of the 1 mil and the 100 mil may not share your opinion that the movie and Disney don't matter in the lives.

I had responded . My answer proceeded K2 asking the second time.

It was the post after Troy asked if I  had seen it. So apparently there's a barrier to clear and concise communication with @Troy  and Kale Xander.  

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:07 AM, Delano said:

While I'm not against it, I would much rather Black people focus on getting the government (federal, state, and local) to DO THEIR JOBS and adequately fund these schools so that they don't have to rely on charity and philanthropic donations to meet their needs!

The government has BILLIONS of dollars to invest in education....if they really wanted to.
They don't need Disney's little 2 or 3 million.

I love seeing girls in bikinis.
But seeing public school girls running around in bikinis washing cars just to raise money for their softball or basketball team????
Seriously??????

Boys going door to door begging people to buy candy bars just to raise money for their football equipment???????

What happened to all of his lottery money that they claimed would go to help the schools?