Cynique

WOULD YOU BELIEVE?

Troy

Very good @Pioneer1, I should known better than to quiz people on this site about African history that said...

Are you trying to say America is a secular nation -- are you kidding me?!

I gave you an example of a man murdering an elder in the movie but you ignored that example which disproves your point and cherry picked on to suit your needs.

I didn't IGNORE your point....lol....I just steam rolled over it with more COUNTER-POINTS.

There were far more scenes in that movie that displayed the positive relationship between Black youth and their elders than negative. Even the way the movie started off with a little kid asking his "Baba" (African word for Daddy) about the history of his people.

Come on man, don't tell me THAT didn't touch you!

I can tell you know nothing about science because as soon as your experiment fails you double down in your flawed hypothesis.

Maybe the experiments fail because the laws of physics in Wakanda are different than in America....lol.

Did you get the inside of your lower lip tattooed yet? You know there are negroes working o doing this right?

I think Black people getting the insides of their lower lips tatooed is a lot smarter than getting both their entire arms and legs along with their necks tatooed like so many are foolishly doing today.

I'd rather see Black people use their ingenuity to MAKE UP a culture either on the big screen or in real life than continuing to blindly follow White people in a pathetic attemp to imitate their culture (tatooes, piercings, carnivorous diet, heavy drinking, reckless drug use, ect....) which too often leads to the 3D's: disease, disappointment, and death.

@Pioneer1 "African word for Daddy" Surely you did not mean write than did you?

As far as blindly following white folks, you know white folks invented Black Panther and he world of Wakanda right?

@Delano, remember I said I enjoyed the film (wait, have you seen it yet).  Again my point is that you and many other Black folks have canonized he film. I call it dumb to counterbalance the exaltation of the film

While I think Star Wars, at least the last 4 or 5 installments were pretty bad.  The Black Panther movie is superior in my book to the entire Star Wars franchise -- put together.  Well maybe not the first one which was a groundbreaking film.

I would not put Black Panther in the same category with the first Matrix flick, which was a simply brilliant film.

If there is a college course dedicated to this one film it would be a waste of money, for there was nothing ground breaking or original in the film to study, but it would not surprise me if one is created.  45 created a "university."

• Like 1

Troy

"African word for Daddy" Surely you did not mean write than did you?

Yes....but with an explaination.

Ofcourse there are hundreds if not thousands of languages in Africa, however in ALMOST ALL of the sub-Saharan African cultures the children use the words "Baba" for Father and "Mama" for Mother.
So by "African language" I'm speaking about the collective languages of sub-Saharan Africa.

Actually Chinese also call their father "Baba".

As far as blindly following white folks, you know white folks invented Black Panther and he world of Wakanda right?

Stan Lee might have invented them but my boy Ryan Cooglar perfected them.....lol.

@Troy I am going to carefully delineate the points I was making. The Identity, Social responsibility, Allegiance, Tradition, Change, Appropriation , Reclaiming vs Theft. That museum piece with KM saying you stole from me and you don't me, but I am taking my $h1+ back.

What about some of the realy funny lines that were super deep.

Don't scare me mister colonizer.

I am king. You can not speak. I'll feed you to my kids. We are vegetarian. That line referencing the following, sovereignty, perceived superiority, protocol, assumptions about who is cannibal. And the character is aware of all of these layers.

I would have rather died in the water than live a slave. That would be a better rallying cry than Wakanda Forever. So yeah It is a tight flick.

It will be a college course or a dissertation within two years. Because it has so much depth that it an be discussed from many angles. How many angles can the Matrix be argued. Choice Free will Leadership  Responsibility. The difference is because it is clearly not this world the arguments are abstractions. While BP has abstraction and more concrete concerns.

Finally I believe that those associated with the film will either fund a scholarship or find a way to give back much like the Black Panther  did at the end of the movie. So celebrity will lend itself to a noble cause, and this in precedented.

That is the short version.

Apparently Black Panther is evolving into something akin to an ink blot replica, something which everyone sees what they want to see in it. All of the intellectualizing and deconstructing are superfluous to me.  How blatant can it be that it's a movie which millions of black people find palatable on many levels because it was something they had long been salivating for.  The true taste-test is what concrete positive results will be left in its wake. Granted, it is headed for "legendary" status, but Michael Jordan is a "legend", a billionaire who makes his money off of black people purchasing his exorbitantly-priced gym shoes.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@DelTax write-offs in the form of Charity from white people, money that will probably line the pockets of opportunistic black people.  i'm more impressed with "Get Out" inspiring college courses on racism.

• Like 2

Donations to poor Black kids is all marketing.  Do you really believe Disney actually cares about poor Black people -- beyond the ability to separate them from their money?

As Cynique said the deduction reduces their tax liability.  What we don't know is how Disney is spending the remaining 99.9% of the profits from he film. Maybe that would give you some perspective.

• Like 2

Is that a misdirection. The initial statement is that the movie is just entertainment and will not effect the lives of Blacks. Both you and Cynique stated that earlier. That is your primary argument. Which I disagreed with and then showed that it was not true. So you will accept neither that the movie is inspirational or philanthropic. There is also a course at UCLA that is due to Get Out. You will see the same for BP by June 2018. I can't convince you but time may.

@Delano. Okay, brother. Please enthrall us all with your newly found ENLIGHTENMENT. Did the film make you a better Black man, disclose information about something you didn’t know before, did it change your mind about anything, what are you inspired to do next?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Kalexander2, Del hasn't even seen the movie.  But that would be a good question.  If in fact he has seen the film, his honest response with lay this issue to rest.

@Delano, they can grant a degree in the film it would still not mean anything for Black people.  We don';t need time to tell us anything; a cursory knowledge of history could tell you how Black people will benefit.

I have seen the movie. The beneficiaries of the 1 mil and the 100 mil may not share your opinion that the movie and Disney don't matter in the lives.

@Delano, @Troy: Since this website is (mostly) concerned with ‘Black Literature (#ReadingBlack)’ and Black Panther is a Black film deserving of some literary merit; let’s induct it into the hall of “ReadingBlack” fame. Let’s compare or contrast its literary value for Black folk:

James Baldwin’s The Fire Next Time (1963) social essay to Black folk, was not to America, and not of its non-existent race problem. Devouring flesh of its adopted heirs. African America, the bastard children without a name or dignity to stop panning (No name in the Street, 1972). Was a warning and lesson. With the price of life and living these days, “you kant get dem no mo!”

Black Panther greatly fail the ‘niff test’ of social/literary value thereby rendering it a success; for the world of entertainment. Will not survive the test of time for anything except as an option to pass time.

I noticed brother, Delano, hasn’t responded my last post on this issue whether he’d seen or never seen it.

Black America's problems stem from the destruction of culture. Blacks have been invisible in history, and the media. You study what is important. So am in favour of positive exposure. What were you taught in history about Black Americans. What on your experience is the portrayal of Blacks in the media. Barack Obama, Tyson Degras(?) are symbolically important. Both men were  important to All people. Since they are leaders in a very competitive field, which is predominantly white. So they are beacons and will be welcomed amongst our current ones in sports and entertainment.

@Delano. My initial introduction to African American history was under Dr. William Brooks. Never took a formal course after that. Although I was honored to have conversed with numerous Black scholars during brief employment at Attorney Leo Branton’s law firm where my aunt Kendra worked as his legal secretary during the trial of Angela Davis.

I see you recognize Black identities of the figures you described; identity, image, and reputations downplayed by the media and reduced to that of a sports gladiator. And you’re right but identity isn’t the only, or main problem, though there are many.

On 20/03/2018 at 10:47 PM, Del said:

I have seen the movie. The beneficiaries of the 1 mil and the 100 mil may not share your opinion that the movie and Disney don't matter in the lives.

I had responded . My answer proceeded K2 asking the second time.

It was the post after Troy asked if I  had seen it. So apparently there's a barrier to clear and concise communication with @Troy  and Kale Xander.  

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:07 AM, Delano said:

While I'm not against it, I would much rather Black people focus on getting the government (federal, state, and local) to DO THEIR JOBS and adequately fund these schools so that they don't have to rely on charity and philanthropic donations to meet their needs!

The government has BILLIONS of dollars to invest in education....if they really wanted to.
They don't need Disney's little 2 or 3 million.

I love seeing girls in bikinis.
But seeing public school girls running around in bikinis washing cars just to raise money for their softball or basketball team????
Seriously??????

Boys going door to door begging people to buy candy bars just to raise money for their football equipment???????

What happened to all of his lottery money that they claimed would go to help the schools?