National Geographic Magazine's Issue on Race

@Pioneer1  (anyone) you should read this issue.  I just got it in the mail myself, but I'm sure you can find it on Newsstands, or the Library.  It is the April 2018 Issue.  I think it will help you think differently about race. 

The two girls picture on the cover below are biological sisters, twins actually.  Hey which one do you think is cuter ;)

April-2018-NGM.jpg

• Like 1

Now Troy, you know I'm not a scholar like you.
Instead of making me dig up the article and read it....why don't you just give me a summary?

I can believe that both girls are biological sisters.
However instead of the cover reading "Black and White" it should read:

GREY and White.....lol.

Because the girl on the right CLEARLY isn't Black.
She's mixed race.

Furthermore......
Because I believe the the determining factors of race are predominately phenotypical (the way you look) I believe that even siblings from the same parents can actually be of different races!

In other words:
Regardless of you ancestry, as far as I'm concerned....

If you LOOK White....you ARE White!

If you LOOK Black....you ARE Black!

Your race is what YOU are, not what your ancestors or even your parents are.

Man sometimes you just need to take a minute and do a deep dive into a subject to learn more about a subject.  In this case National Geographic laid it out very nicely in a format that easy to consume and understand. You do not need to be a scholar.

My summary would not do justice to their coverage. If you want, I can mail you my copy if you promise to read it.

Obviously Pioneer can have his opinion.  You know like assholes everyone has one...  Pioneer asserts that his opinion is factually correct despite ample evidence to counter it.  

Del, do you have a problem with me showing him the light, or would you prefer Pioneer to remain in the bowels of ignorance on this issue?

• Like 1

Troy

Lol.....
I might pick up a copy and browse through it if I remember to do so when I'm out and about BUT....what difference should a magazine article make to me?

I've been studying and pondering the issue of race for over 30 years and the conclusions are all over the map; why should ONE ARTICLE from the National Geographic give me some sort of epiphany?

Pioneer asserts that his opinion is factually correct despite ample evidence to counter it.

Exactly what opinion have I asserted as factually correct and what was the evidence to counter it?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't YOU YOURSELF say a while back you didn't have the time nor the evidence to actually refute my beliefs that more than one race exists?

So how can you be so cock-sure that your beliefs on the issue are infallible?

@Pioneer1 you believe there are multiple human races.  This is factually incorrect (despite what Del says about opinions).

Actually, the entire magazine is devoted to the subject of race; it is not just one article.  The issue consolidates much of what we know about the subject. This is why I recommended the issue.

Again, I know facts, no matter how compellingly presented, have not moved you to change your opinion on a subject in the past. But hey, I figured it was worth a shot.

• Like 1

Troy

I know facts, no matter how compellingly presented, have not moved you to change your opinion on a subject in the past.

Lol, have you considered using the SCIENTIFIC METHOD?

Do an experiment.............

Instead of lamenting and shaking your head over why I simple don't abandon my beliefs, fall in line, and agree like a Trump supporter....lol.....why not try actually presenting some  FACTS to me that clearly deny the existence of race, and approaching me with logic and rationality.

Then we'll SEE if I reject it.

@Pioneer1, what, pray tell, constitutes proof to you? 

You've rejected the magazine article devoted to the subject I just presented as well as all of the websites and information I've shared over the years.  So, I'm at a loss to understand what would convince you.  Obviously facts, reason, and information have proven insufficient...

• Like 1

Can pioneer come up with 3 reputable sources that say there is more than one race?  Instead of requesting that Troy justify his claims which are aligned with current conventional wisdom, pioneer should reinforce his stance - which is mostly opinion-based.  

• Thanks 1

Cynique

Can pioneer come up with 3 reputable sources that say there is more than one race? Instead of requesting that Troy justify his claims which are aligned with current conventional wisdom, pioneer should reinforce his stance - which is mostly opinion-based.

Well since you DID believe in multiple races one time - then claimed you DIDN'T - then claimed you DID again - and I guess now the wind is blowing in the NOT-RIGHT-NOW direction..............

Maybe YOU can provide us both with scientific sources to cover BOTH arguments since you obviously hold BOTH positions depending on which side of the bed you wake up on in the morning.....lol.

@Pioneer1, I'm not silly enough to think that you would actually read (or even comprehend) a scientific study.  Man you wont even read the science magazine which covers the issue from all angles.

Besides, the science is clear and you can easily find supporting information -- that is if you were sincerely interested in learning the truth.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Well since you DID believe in multiple races one time - then claimed you DIDN'T - then claimed you DID again - and I guess now the wind is blowing in the NOT-RIGHT-NOW direction..............

Maybe YOU can provide us both with scientific sources to cover BOTH arguments since you obviously hold BOTH positions depending on which side of the bed you wake up on in the morning.....lol.

Edited 16 hours ago by Pioneer1

Unlike you, Pioneer, when i am presented with credible evidence, i am not too thick-skulled to change my mind. This should be obvious to anyone but you who, because you are incapable of being enlightened,-  think everyone else is the same way.   BTW, i only changed my mind once, and that was when Troy's scientific based evidence made better sense than that crap you spout.  

Cynique

BTW, i only changed my mind once, and that was when Troy's scientific based evidence made better sense than that crap you spout.

Well I shoooooooo'll wish he'd show all this compelling evidence to ME !

I've been asking for it for MONTHS and so far he has yet to present it....lol.

Nothing can convince you that you are wrong about there only being on race because you think you're an authority on everything, so Troy has wisely stopped wasting his time,  - as will i.  What you think really isn't important.  You have no influence on anything and what you say carries no weight, so just blab on because that's all your good for. 

Cynique

Nothing can convince you that you are wrong about there only being on race because-wait, let me finish the sentence for you:

because IT'S NOT TRUE.

What you think really isn't important.

It apparently is to YOU....since you love contending it.