Republican Agenda to End Poverty

The U.S. government runs just one large-scale program that supplements poor people’s incomes and Republicans want to make that support more difficult for some to obtain.

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, commonly known as food stamps, gives more than 40 million Americans a monthly food allowance averaging about $125 per recipient ― less than a typical person needs for a month’s worth of food.

Republicans on Capitol Hill want more SNAP recipients to enroll in government training programs or take available jobs that are likely to pay little. Republicans in the Trump administration are considering a plan promoted by several GOP governors to have some SNAP recipients urinate in cups to prove they’re not on drugs.

The Department of Agriculture may allow states to drug test SNAP recipients, according to emails obtained and published this week by the Associated Press. The tests would be required mostly for able-bodied people who have no dependents, according to the AP.

Republican governors such as Scott Walker of Wisconsin have long wanted to drug test some food stamp beneficiaries, but had been blocked from doing so by the Obama administration. Huffington Post 4/12/2018

The Republican Agenda to elimnate poverty: DEATH
Their plan is to kill off as many poor people as they can with poor or no health care,  orchestra conditions in their environment so bad and overwhelming that many commit suicide, and top it all off with a little assitance from trigger happy police officers who don't shoot to subdue but to kill.

(I didn't "lol" at the end of that because poverty and death are too serious to laugh about)

To my knowledge, many recipients of goverment assistance across America are ALREADY being tested for drugs so what are they planning on doing that's new?

Furthermore, even if a person IS using drugs.....should they be denied the basics of survival?

Yes, yes, and yes Pioneer1; but what bugs me about this crap is the suspicious undisclosed agenda these people have. Drugs tests for even use of pot legalized by the States. Like in the days of prohibition; White alcoholics and the gangsters got away (to a great extent) with possession and alcohol use. Blacks were targeted for bootlegging and public drunkenness. 

As I pointed out in another post, the plan has always been to keep Black folk marginalized, and down. As brother Delano pointed, we're property with an expiration date (my words). 

White alcoholics and the gangsters got away (to a great extent) with possession and alcohol use. Blacks were targeted for bootlegging and public drunkenness. 

When Republicans make laws, they don't make them to protect people.....they make them to TRAP people.

The Republican congressman knows that any law he makes will be SELECTIVELY ENFORCED by those on the ground who think like him.

Yeah unless you are making rice and beans and eating that all week, doing some serious coupon clipping and price shopping; 125 bucks does not go very far. I'd hate to think how a person with dependent children do it..

Well the Republicans will be voted out soon. perhaps some this damage will be undone before too many more lives are destroyed. 

Here's the thing though.  The Republicans are on their way, they just don't know it yet.  I don't mean the mid-term elections, but the larger picture, the emergence of a minority majority nation.  Trump is actually one of our allies as he goes out of his way to insult every minority he can find.

Republicans will soon start trying to divide blacks from Hispanics because that will be the only way they can continue to rule.   Watch out for that one.  You read it here first.  :-)

That's true, Tanny. I've always been of the opinion that Trump is not only what America deserves, it's good for Black folk. His presidency ushers in the inevitable. But don't depend on the Democrats to save the day! And after the inevitable happens, will Black folk change from White ways of living? Probably not. 

Moreover, latinos, most asians, and native Americans already lean towards republicans. That's also true for a lot of Black folks. WE ARE IN THIS ALONE!!! Those of us who are conscience that is.

K2

Yeah, say what you like, but a human being will survive, by any means necessary. Even if it takes destroying his own. I am not optimist about the future of America or of Black folk. Though I do wish we would come to our senses and live the opposite of White folks.

The first step in realizing this dream is to have the DESIRE.

Most Black people in America don't have the DESIRE to live independently.
Most rely on White people for their food, clothing, shelter, and medical care......and they like it that way.

As much as Chinese and other East Asians skin and grin at White people, they spend their time LEARNING from them so that they can live independently FROM them.
Most Black folks do the opposite:
Cry and complain about how White people are treating them but take no steps to separate and build something of their own.

Because many have been made MENTALLY LAZY.

Tanny

Republicans will soon start trying to divide blacks from Hispanics because that will be the only way they can continue to rule.

If you don't already know, I have a little news for you.....lol.

Republicans don't have to TRY to separate Blacks from Hispanics, because most non-Black Hispanics have done a pretty good job of doing that ALREADY.

If you look around this nation, except for a few enclaves on the East Coast that have a large Afro-Latino population......for the most part Hispanics live in seperate communities from AfroAmericans and have little to do with us socially, politically, and economically.

The sad fact is, most non-Black groups in this nation are focused on THEMSELVES and not really interested in true unity and friendship with other people of color.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, Pioneer1, sad fact. Not so much 'mentally lazy' but rather mentally unable to notice, or want a life separate from White America. Listening to people think the way you do solitifies my pessimism even more. God knows I wish you were wrong as my lack of faith in my own  people is tiresome these days. 

Pioneer, you make good points.  In light of them I wish to edit my comments to read that Republicans will be poring fuel on the existing divisions between Blacks and Hispanics.

I do think a shift is coming though.  A great many Americans of all races don't yet realize that America is heading rapidly towards minority majority.  And so thinking from the past still prevails.  But at some point it's going to dawn on average black and brown folks that they can own this country if they work together.  I predict the urge to dethrone whites will be strong enough to overcome the differences between blacks and browns.  Until the over throw is complete, and then the differences may re-emerge.

This may not be a peaceful process.  There are a minority of whites who will resist with enthusiasm, including violence.  They will be afraid that blacks and browns will do to them what whites have long done to blacks and browns.  The idea that America is a white country is deeply rooted in white culture.  

Whatever happens the future is not going to be like the past.   Whites will not continue to dominate while gradually extending rights and benefits to minorities, that model is coming to an end.

• Thanks 1

Tanny

This may not be a peaceful process. There are a minority of whites who will resist with enthusiasm, including violence. They will be afraid that blacks and browns will do to them what whites have long done to blacks and browns. The idea that America is a white country is deeply rooted in white culture.

Whatever happens the future is not going to be like the past. Whites will not continue to dominate while gradually extending rights and benefits to minorities, that model is coming to an end.

Because America is going to be majority people of color, I think what many Whites are preparing to to is RULE AS A MINORITY.

When you rule as a majority you can be a little lax and easy going because you have such overwhelming numers, but when you're a minority you have to be more aggressive with the people you plan on ruling over because you don't have enough numbers to be "nice".

So if you look at Whites in South Africa or the White minority that rules many countries in Latin America.....yes they rule by keeping the people under them divided.

In South Africa the White minority ruled by keeping the "coloureds" divided from the Zulu.

In Latin America the small Spanish Whites rule by keeping the Indians separate from the Meztizo and Mulatto.

Keep them all fighting eachother over limited resources and compete with eachother over who can get closest to the White ruler to enjoy some wealth and power.

• Thanks 1

Yes, and anyone who thinks that White folks won't rule as a minority population is fooling her/himself. Not because they are White, wealthy, nor even more intelligent; they will rule because there's no concern for consequences; they will do whatever it takes to survive. While we Black folk are limited only by our own failure to be independent and develop our own code of conduct. 

K2

Not because they are White, wealthy, nor even more intelligent; they will rule because there's no concern for consequences; they will do whatever it takes to survive. While we Black folk are limited only by our own failure to be independent and develop our own code of conduct.

Unfortunately some may say......

The reason why Black folks are limited by their own failures to be independent and develop their own codes is just another example of WHAT MAKES White people more intelligent.

Some may say that if we were as SMART as they were then we'd be DOING it ike they were.

I don't see how smart has anything to do with it.  In America there have always been more whites than blacks.  And that numerical advantage was used to create an economic system designed to steal black labor and Indian land.   In both cases it wasn't because whites were smarter, it was because they had more people and more guns. 

If you took ANY population and denied them education and opportunity for centuries, then sure, there will be some in that population who essentially give up.   That's not a black thing, that's a human thing.  As example, there are plenty of poor whites who have given up and made peace with living on welfare in the trailer park. 

Tanny

I don't see how smart has anything to do with it. In America there have always been more whites than blacks. And that numerical advantage was used to create an economic system designed to steal black labor and Indian land. In both cases it wasn't because whites were smarter, it was because they had more people and more guns.

Whites didn't always have the numbers.
The Indians had the land AND the numbers but the White men still came in and literally TOOK both.
And it's not like the Indians (Native Americans) were too peaceful to wage war or fight back.....many did....but still lost.

So some would argue that it's an example of Whites being smarter.

White folks HAD guns because they INVENTED the guns, lol.

...and the cannons and tanks and other things they were able to use to defeat their opposition in America and parts of Africa.

Their technological advances.....in my opinion...was in part a result of intelligence.

If you took ANY population and denied them education and opportunity for centuries, then sure, there will be some in that population who essentially give up. That's not a black thing, that's a human thing. As example, there are plenty of poor whites who have given up and made peace with living on welfare in the trailer park.

I hear exactly what you're saying and I'm inclinded to agree with you except.........

If Black people were as smart as they should be they wouldn't have to RELY on White people to provide education to them, we'd simply educate OURSELVES with OUR OWN institutions.

Russians can produce their own food, make their own clothes, and build houses for themselves.....they don't have to rely on America or England to GIVE them money or provide them with an education to help them.......so why do so many Black people around the world do?

The fact that you have to GO TO White people and ask them to educate you means they have knowledge that you don't have.

Now how did they GET that knowledge?

Keep in mind.....
I'm not trying to justify INJUSTICE, nor am I trying to play devil's advocate.

But at this stage in my life and looking at what I'm seeing with Black people all over the world, I must atleast try to see things AS THEY ACTUALLY ARE rather than just how I would like them to be.

Ofcourse Divine assistance is priority, but Black people need to figure out how to make themselves smarter

If Black people were as smart as they should be they wouldn't have to RELY on White people to provide education to them, we'd simply educate OURSELVES with OUR OWN institutions.

This would be true if we were talking level playing field.  But that's never existed in America.   Blacks have been systemically denied the resources necessary to educate themselves with their own institutions, in the way you seem to be implying. 

The fact that you have to GO TO White people and ask them to educate you means they have knowledge that you don't have.

My suggestion has been to go to white people and ask them to return at least some of the money that's been stolen from blacks.   Again, 20% of Americans own 90% of America's wealth.   We still live in a plantation system, it's just become far more sophisticated than the old days.

Yes, and no, Pioneer1, independent living by a separate code does not mean "doing as the romans." In fact, I can mean just the opposite. We don't to adopt White ways of living. We did just fine before we were brought here; we can do it again. Only this time there's more competition for State power and less will power. 

@Tanny: your passion is quite admirable, but you'll be singled out among you own people, probably murdered for using your own Whiteness to argue for equality for both Black and white groups. Groups in society's just don't do it like that anymore. That's why countries have the United Nations, the human rights group, etc., when their Government fail to do right by their people. The U.N.'s full of it too though. 

Try to run for an office on that platform and they'll run you out of your own neighborhood. I'm just saying!!

Actually, I feel you are just too pessimistic.   A great many white people would be generally sympathetic to the kind of proposals I've been sharing.  This is especially true if they personally weren't the ones being taxed to make it happen.

But then, I have to bow to the reality that these options have been available for a long time and never pursued.  So you have a point too.

Tanny

This would be true if we were talking level playing field. But that's never existed in America. Blacks have been systemically denied the resources necessary to educate themselves with their own institutions, in the way you seem to be implying.

You're right to a certain extent.
But there have been so many examples of Blacks who have defied the odds and have built their own institutions to educate their children in a more productive way.....Marcus Garvey, Elijah Muhammad, and hundreds of other individuals......and were successful with it SHOULD HAVE inspired more Black people to work themselves out of this plight.
But it hasn't...and that's a bit depressing.

My suggestion has been to go to white people and ask them to return at least some of the money that's been stolen from blacks. Again, 20% of Americans own 90% of America's wealth. We still live in a plantation system, it's just become far more sophisticated than the old days.

If you're talking about your educational initiative, I think it would be more effective, more fair, and even more popular among the vast majority of people if you sought this money from the GOVERNMENT of the United States rather than wealthy White individuals (whether you're asking for it in grants or by some sort of progressive tax).
The federal government has more than enough money to fund any type of educational program without running the risk of pissing off rich White people by burdening them with someone else's responsibility.

Wealth is better of being GENERATED rather than RE-DISTRIBUTED.

K2

Yes, and no, Pioneer1, independent living by a separate code does not mean "doing as the romans." In fact, I can mean just the opposite. We don't to adopt White ways of living. We did just fine before we were brought here; we can do it again. Only this time there's more competition for State power and less will power.

If America lived up to the Constitution it established, we would be able to freely do this.
But today there are so many laws and codes and restrictions telling people what they can and can't do that it's hard for a people to govern themselves with their own basic social and economic codes.

For example.....
We know that our children were much better behaved and respectful when parent and teachers were allowed to give them whoopings from time to time; but now that has been outlawed and many of these children have gone buck wild as a result.

Another example is polygamy.....
I believe the Black family would repair itself in one or two generations if responsible and qualified Black men were allowed to take on multiple wives to support them and the children they produced.....but it's illegal.
Black men are forced into monogamy against their nature and are pretty much forced to sleep around and cheat and lie on their wives and girlfriends....make more chaos in the Black community.

But these are examples of how the laws of this society prevent Black folks from organizing codes that would give us a very strong community.

Yes, Tanny, and I think I could be even more pessimistic to get this shit right.  I should like to think of myself as a 'crisis theorist,' not a 'functionalist' because everything has consequences, pros and cons. The functionalist concern itself with mental states. What people do rather than by what they are made of. And not from an economic viewpoint only. Policies, leadership, ways of living all have consequences; more than just what works or doesn't work. 

Democracy and the Republic works well for a national State power; it provides for the people, keeps them safe, and keeps the State strong, until it doesn't. Inequality, marginalization, and denial to some people outweigh the functionalist perception that "our way is working even though everyone doesn't enjoy it."

Whites are not, never were the problem, White folks are the symptoms of the use of centralized planning in an attempt to manage social change and regulate the future development and behaviour of a society. Also called social engineering. A necessary evil turned destructive, fatal to most people because everyone's not involved in the planning. Even social engineering is just another fatal flaw of the 'human factor' though. A cure starts with treating the symptoms first; and symptoms involving human flaws is something that would make cancer jealous. How do we solve the White man problem first; and live to tell about it? Not as a destructive entity but as an irritation to human progress? See why I'm pessimistic?

Hi Tanny, I suspect that you are less pessimistic because you are probably younger than the Brothers you are conversing with here.  I could be wrong but I doubt it.

As a result, we have witnessed and experienced more.  In fact we probably have studied the subject longer and perhaps know a bit more.

But that does not mean we, at least not I, have given up all hope.   I continue to fight in my corner of the world, but it is really hard.  I just listened to an interview I did about my website back in 2001 and things cautioned back in 2001 have only gotten worse. 

We have lost so much that younger people don't even realize it, because as far as they know the internet has always been controlled by a handful of large corporations and Black people have only made money due to the largess of these sites.

Young people are excited about the opportunity to go viral on Twitter, while I lament that fact that we have lost what we owned on the web and are at Twitter's mercy, accepting whatever crumbs they throw our way.  Do you see why someone older might be more pessimistic @Tanny

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

But there have been so many examples of Blacks who have defied the odds and have built their own institutions to educate their children in a more productive way.....Marcus Garvey, Elijah Muhammad, and hundreds of other individuals......and were successful with it SHOULD HAVE inspired more Black people to work themselves out of this plight.
But it hasn't...and that's a bit depressing.

Well, it's the same in white culture.   My college roommate worked his ass off and got in to Harvard Med School.  I fiddled around, took 8 years to get an education degree, and then became a house painter.  I think what you're describing is the human condition, not a black issue specifically.

But anyway, I do agree with the sentiment you are expressing about self responsibility.  I don't see that as being incompatible with anything I've suggested.  Should everyone try to better their situation?  Yes.  Should white society make some effort to repay some of the trillions of dollars of labor stolen from black people since the founding of the country?  Yes again.  Yes to both, that's my vote.

@Tanny, I'm afraid Troy is right. e.g., When you go to Walmart you probably go to the bargain shelf because you have a limited budget; you may rescent the cashier because he/she displays nationalistic tatoos; and/or you may even avoid area's where mostly other Whites gather. 

But if a group of White men enter the store (open/carry) with loaded firearms you hope to hid if they start shooting, knowing you are not their target. You are not worried when the door monitor ask to check your shopping bags because you have a receipt proving you purchased everything. 

Although not much, you have some things to be optimistic about. Not Black folk, the legitimate concern and fear for life and wellbeing starts when a Black man or women wakes-up in the moring and last until about an hour before they wake-up the next day.

A bit dramatic here, and I apologize, but where a White person have things to be optimistic about a Black person seldom have anything to feel optimistic. Coupled with the fact a White person can watch a Black child suffer, do nor feel nothing for no other reason than, "it's none of my business," or watch with gleam is quite discouraging. Let me tell you; makes for great pessimism.

Troy

Like you I thought Tanny was much younger, like in her 20s.

Which is why I asked her what her age was in another thread but she probably didn't see the question.

You don't hear a lot of people over 40 speaking so confident and optimistically about a plan to right the wrongs of society.

I consider myself a VISIONARY and know a lot of positive changes can be made because I've worked with others and have made them myself, but I also consider myself a pragmatist who considers the LIKELIHOOD of such changes and to what degree the change can occur.

We have lost so much that younger people don't even realize it, because as far as they know the internet has always been controlled by a handful of large corporations and Black people have only made money due to the largess of these sites.

Generation X (ages 35-60) and the Millenials (ages 15-35) through ignorance and indifference are threatening to lose all of the rights and reverse all of the progress that the Baby Boomers (ages 60-75) fought the establishment for and gave us in the 60s.

Tanny

Should white society make some effort to repay some of the trillions of dollars of labor stolen from black people since the founding of the country? Yes again. Yes to both, that's my vote

How would you go about ISOLATING a payment from White society only?

Aside from the obvious resistance from many if not most of those who ARE White, one of the first steps would be IDENTIFYING who is "White" (and who is not) in this society.....lol.

Ah, Pioneer1, you've elected to believe you can see the forest in spite of the tress. Is one way to avoid seeing the horrors of human suffering. Eyes on the prize, a beautifully wrapped gift box with the name Pandora may not be as exciting once opened. 

I, myself, CANNOT SEE THE FOREST. Stepping over, walking around, and through the bodies littering the ground like fallen trees takes from the view of the illusive prize from sight. 

I am inclined (here) to reflect on my own 'success story,' if one can call it that; an improvised Blackman overcoming the challenges of growing-up in Chicago. Tried and tested in America. Did I really succeed, at anything, or just prolonged my own demise by learning and understanding? Or, have I elected to accept, believe that only more forest lay beyond the trees?

In any case, your hope and optimism that matters will, can change is the functionalist point-of-view. Please don't get me wrong, thank God for the functionalist as it does have a place among human advancement. But there's still 'reality' of the matter; there will always been and will be 'have's and have not's,' predator and prey, and lambs will always be food for the lions. So the speak!