The Cult of R. Kelly

Mute R Kelly  

3 members have voted

1. 1. The Cult of R. Kelly?

• Should we stop playing R Kelly songs?
    • Is the artist separate from their art?

Should we put R Kelly on mute?

Is the artist separate from their art?

Do celebrated people have a responsibility to their fans?

Is the lack of societal bonds creating the need for role models?

Should we have a quesadilla or a burrito?

It might be helpful to explain the problem with R Kelly.  In believe there is a video of him urinating on an underage girl?  Is this right.  If not what specifically did he do that should require us to stop listening to his music?  Did he break any laws?

• Thanks 1

I did not do an internet search on R. Kelly. But coincidentally, there was an article in the newspaper yesterday. Apparently all of the criticism against Kelly is hearsay. No convictions.

I think before we start trying to destroy the livelihood of others we should have perfect clarity on what they have done.

• Thanks 1

Given the celebrities backing of mute kelly, ava duvernay and others it seems like you might be right @Delano, but that is just how it is covered. 

If you go by his concert attendance and popularity another story is told.

45 is not exactly wrong when he talks about fake news in the sense that one could get the impression that kelly has been proven guilty of a crime and that the majority of the public is outraged. But this is not the case.

Again, I read about this in a newspaper, not on social media so the coverage followed basic rules if journalism.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't DO what R. Kelly is allegedely doing, but I don't think what he's doing should be demonized.

Men using their power and money to attract a harem of young ladies for their sexual pleasures has been going on since the beginning of humanity.

What the man is doing is NATURAL.

America used to be one of the most sexually liberated nations on the planet with all types of sexual experiments and orgies going on in the 60s and 70s.
What Kelly is doing would have barely raised an eyebrown 50 years ago.

But since the Regan Era when an avalance of conservative cultural ideology began to sweep across the nation.....along with the AIDS epidemic.......sex and all forms of it outside of traditional marriage began to be demonized again.

Just this morning I was listening to the news and there was a segment in which they discussed the #muterkelly movement.  The segment was at least 10 minutes long and they never mentioned what the specific allegations against him are.

I think part of the problem is just the fact that this is all rumors and hearsay right now. Ha Kelly been charged or convicted of anything? I mean I've seen comedians make jokes about Kelly urinating on women.  I have also heard some rumors about undeer age girls.  Is Kelly accused to have sex with prepubester youngers are teenager groupies chasing behind him at concerts? 

I'm not going to go out my way to research this subject.  In the universe of things I care about this is way down on the list.

The reality is that I don't have to mute R. Kelly. I have never been to see R. Kelly perform live (I understand he puts on a good show) and I have never purchased any of his music, thought of course I've heard it.  He is so popular it is unavoidable.  "I believe I could fly" was like the graduation national anthem.

So I guess were are on the same side of this issue @Pioneer1 albeit, as usual, for different reasons. ;)

• Thanks 1

I read the article.  Again it still seems like a lot of accusations.  Of course where there is smoke there is usually a fire. But it sounds like like a guy who was abused himself that needs help too.  I'm not about to rob the brother of his livelihood because he married Aaliyah when she was 15 or allegedly urinated on some girl.  There are more important things to worry about.

The argument that R Kelly gets away with it because the victims are Black is bullshit, white women are victimized everyday of the week by white men who get away with it -- some of them with the support of the church!  Should look at all the dudes in NAMBLA, the Catholic Church, Penn States campus, etc  R; Kelly is nothing in comparison...

Indeed R. Kelly is highlighted ONLY because he is a celebrity, there are plenty of Brothers doing similar things with teenage girls.

• Thanks 1

An underage harem may be a bit hyperbolic, but for someone of his wealth this is not a big thing.  Hugh Hefner had one; the age discrepancy was much larger and he was celebrated.  Michael Jackson allegedly courted young boys and vert few called for muting him.

Look man, for MOST of human history 14 year old girls were making babies.  Now if you told me Kelly was banging babies I'd have a serious problem. 

Do YOU @Delano believe Kelly should be muted?  I'm surprised o no other than me voted in your poll.  I think lurkers can vote without creating an account, but I'm not sure.

It's am anonymous poll. Apparently he has been paying off the girls. There's a lawyer in Chicago that handles the case. R. Kelly needs help but so do yhe parents who let there parents hang with a grown man. Our society has a skewed values. When parents are pimping their kids.

• Thanks 2

"Age Ain’t Nothing But a Number," the 1994 debut from R&B singer Aaliyah, was co-produced by Kelly ... a track he had written for her. Kelly was 27, Aaliyah was 15. In a 1994 interview she called him her “best friend in the whole wide world”, and in August year they were married at a Chicago suburb Sheraton with a forged marriage certificate falsely stating Aaliyah was 18. Divorce proceedings began two days later when her family learned of the wedding. The marriage was annulled by fall. Aaliyah received $100 from Kelly as part of a settlement also stating she would not pursue legal action and neither would publicly discuss the matter (Kelly has long denied the pair had a sexual relationship). The song went platinum. Aaliyah was died eight years later. 

I'm a jazz and blues kind of guy, even in those music genre's underage female sensitivities come forth. Nothing new, and probably harmless in the sense of 'redeeming values,' so to speak. In Kelly's case the marriage, with or without PAPER, is acceptable; and his music pose no dangers. It does, however, go right to the idea of parent rearing children, like the brother alluded to. Again, these are the times we live in, and everyone's justifying their part.

For us males, sexual indulgence has always been a selective process when it is convenient for us, even before the turn of the 11th century. To place a time on the demonization of the sex issue is quite mis-placed. 

At a time when an 80-year Bill Cosby is facing a prison sentence (involving adult women) that may never see him a man free again, this discussion is appropriate. 

• Thanks 1

In many states it is perfectly legal for a 15 year old to get married. Maybe IL is not one of those states or maybe they require parental consent.

In FL you can marry your 15 year old 1st cousin.  But these laws come from a period when a person's world, were they were born and died, was a maybe a 50 mile perimeter, and you life expectancy was 40.

True, our society has skewed values and it is the reason why people pimp their children and themselves.

Del

Half your age plus 9 years. So the only person that should be sleeping with a 16 year old is a 17 year old.

What's your cut off for teenagers?

I've also heard "half your age plus 7" for an ideal mate.

I'm not sure about those old sayings.

I say go with who compliments you.....or with NO ONE at all.
Some people are asexual and aren't sexually attracted to anyone, others are free spirits and simply just aren't good at relationships.
They're happier and better off alone.

What about emotional maturity? 

If you're over 20 why are you with someone in high school. 

Even adults lose their  $h!t when it comes to sex. Wars were literally fought over vagina. Yeah physically a girl could be ready but that doesn't mean she can handle it emotionally. 

The problem is potential  mental manipulation. With Rob. Kelly it appears to be actualized  

Delano

The problem is potential mental manipulation. With Rob. Kelly it appears to be actualized

Mental manipulation......like emotional maturity....is a highly subjective term.

First of all, it could be argued that everytime a man tries to convince a woman to have sex with him he's "manipulating" her mind or atleast attempting to.

Secondly, IS mental manipulation for sex wrong in and of itself?
And if manipulating a woman's mind to have sex is wrong PERIOD, then wouldn't it be just as wrong to do to GROWN WOMEN as  to underaged girls?

Third, what approaches then SHOULD a man take to get sex from females that would be considered UNIVESALLY APPROPRIATE?

None of what I said matters of the primary objective for a man is having sex. The women and her feelings or needs are incidental. In which case she is a sex object. Or her former follow her functional value. Clearly that's not my position but it may be closer to at least some people's reality. 

Manipulation Seduction Coercion of you see it differently there could be various difficulties. 

• Like 1

I believe for most men, while their view of sex and it's function doesn't change much.....their views of women in general tend to CHANGE with age and experience.

While a 20 year old man may see women and categorize them as either women he WANTS to have sex with or women he DOES NOT want to have sex with....e.i. "sex objects"....and treat them accordingly.

That same man at 50 may see women and categorize them as either his daughter, his wife or woman he would enjoy sex with, his sister, or his mother......and treat them accordingly.

He still wants sex, but his maturity and the experiences he's had has made sex less of a factor in defining the women he meets.

WELL, brother Troy, unfortunately, IT IS the 'physical attraction' thing that first bring the sexes together. Among most males that is; except for women. A woman's priority is maternally related. of course! She is a mother or potential mother whose natural maternal instincts defines her character and motivation. That's PART of what make a woman far more dangerous than males. They are doer's who think first as opposed to us males who, often, do before we think.

You bother, and Black men who think like you are the ones who put equality in humanity, among the sexes. Though the friendship thing usually leads to physical thing, I, like you settle for only friendship with a woman whom I like, including even my wife. That makes for a more nurturing interaction.

Societal patriarchal White men, and Black who adapt to those ideas attempt to hide behind the façade of age and "men will be men" which is actually the most perverse of perversity. Just ask Bill Cosby – how he feels now that his unlimited male freedom has been checked – about his one-sided objective approach to the opposite sex; and how a subjective (friendship) approach might have made his desire more settled.

Great point, brother, thank you!! 

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:56 PM, Troy said:

@Pioneer1, there you go again projecting your values and beliefs onto those of the general population.  What about a man that wants to simply had]ve a woman as a friend?

So you're saying older men still wanting sex from women is simply a projection of MY values and beliefs?

I guess all those older men who go to bars and clubs and dating sites looking for women weren't actually interested in sex, but are just looking for drinking buddies with high pitched voices.....lol.

I wonder what Donald Trump's REAL intentions were for all of those women he's been chasing around.....lol.

When I say Pioneer is "projecting" I mean to say that he is taking is world view and assuming it is the same shared by others.  Does that answer your question Del?

Pioneer I suspect not even YOU want sex from the women you meet.  Surely, you must have female friends that you not contemplating screwing, right?  

Del, experiences are one thing, ideas are quite another. One's experiences and the interpretation of them are subjective; some people find getting spanked erotic others find it humiliating.

With regard to Pioneer I'm talking about ideas. For example the idea that 20 year olds access women solely on whether they are a desirable sex partner. That, I'm sure, the way he viewed women at that age; and he takes that perspective and assumes it must be true for every 20 year old.

Of course there probably a lot of 20 year olds who think that way.  But I doubt it's the majority (did you think about women that way when you were 20 Del?) 

@Troy

Think about what I am saying. How many views do you hold that aren't based on your experience. The view could support or be in opposition to your experience. If the view supportstory you are taking your experience and saying it applies generally. If it doesn't it could be an ideal that you strive for in your life. 

Even imaginary or unreal ideas and concepts are a function of experience. 

The only thing that isn't like that would be the invention of string or keyboard instruments. Since percussive wind and brass mimic sounds in nature.

Dude I have thought about what you wrote.  Many of the ideas in mind head are not based upon my experience.  These ideas, often the most profound ones, come from reading.  For example, my belief in a single human race is derived completely from information outside my own experience.  If I used my own experience, like Pioneer and perhaps yourself, I would still believe in multiple races.

If your only source of information is your personal experience can not assimilate new information, not an you grow.

This is not to say that I don't have my own ideas, based upon experiences, like my stance on Google and social media. Now I know my perspective is in the minority so when the journalist at 60 Minutes substantiated my ideas I feel justified in running with them.  If the broadcast refuted everything I wrote.  I would be forced to reconsider.  I'm perfectly open to doing this, when the preponderance of evidence is against me.

• Thanks 1

How do you read a book without having the experience of reading the book.

Everything you do is part of your experience. Sometimes reading can profoundly change your behavior like Malcolm X

I likedon't what you wrote except the criticism of Pioneer. It's like you are putting him down to highlight your point.  You may not mean it that way. And if Pioneer doesn't see it as a put down then I am projecting my methods on to you. 

I'll ask you a question later to demonstrate what I am trying to say.

Yes! You get it now Del, because I'm not putting Pioneer down. 

If one disagrees with someone, the expression of why they disagree is not a "put down."  Putting someone down is an ineffective way to make a point.

Kalexander2 thanks.  Though you may be right, I don't know about "most people" being in that category. I do know most people i regularly converse with are not.

Troy

For example, my belief in a single human race is derived completely from information outside my own experience. If I used my own experience, like Pioneer and perhaps yourself, I would still believe in multiple races.

((sigh))

Well.......

Thanks for confirming what I already suspected for months now.

As long as I disagree with you over YOUR concept and definition of race....that disagreement will "taint" almost every interaction you have with me despite the subject.

I didn't want to believe this was true, I really didn't.
But it's becoming more and more clear with every discussion.

Even when I've purposely tried to avoid discussing the issue with you to prevent further disagreement.....it's still on your mind.

Del

I don't think you should waste your time trying to explain to Troy something he already knows.

He understands clearly what I said and probably agrees with it to a certain extent.
He's just being contrary because of our differing stances on a totally seperate issue......the race issue.

....which is a bit disappointing.

Again, @Pioneer1 it is not my concept of race.  It is the culmination of a long period of scientific research including sequencing the human genome, whose conclusions I've read and and choose to believe and that is the point.

You and @Delano put a lot more weight on your personal experiences and gut feelings.  I'm not about to dismissed the entire scientific community's research simply because I can't wrap my brain around it.  The same goes for climate change, the correction of newtonian law of gravity with general relativity, etc. 

Pioneer I'm not trying to belabor the point with you and your disbelief of a single race.  But it is just the simplest and clearest example to illustrate your way of thinking that others reading this, without the benefit of our years of exchange, can readily understand (whether they agree with me or not).

But to use your line of reasoning; the reason I disagree with your assertion that men only view women as potential sex partners is because I'm a man and I don't view women that way.

Troy

But to use your line of reasoning; the reason I disagree with your assertion that men only view women as potential sex partners is because I'm a man and I don't view women that way.

Lol....
You're not using my line of reasoning, because my reasoning involves ACCURACY.

I never said that men only view women as potential sex partners.
Infact, for older men I said quite the opposite.

I'm not amazed that you disagree with my position.
I'm just amazed at how ZEALOUS you seem in opposing it and how you've seemingly held it against me either openly or subtly in almost every discussion since the disagreement developed.

It's frightening that you would disregard YOUR OWN experiences in life simply to align your beliefs with that of the mainstream scientific community.

You simply refuse to even entertain the idea that atleast some of what may be called "science" may actually be a collection of propaganda and opinions based.....not on what is actually true....but based on the agenda of whatever wealthy special interest group funded the research.

Remember, during it's later years slavery was also justified by "science" for obvious reasons.

Pioneer, I'm no more zealous than you are.

Look, I know science has been perverted to do all kinds of ill things two black folks justify slavery, before scientific experiments on us, and more. But believe in in the evidence presented about a single race of humans or man's contribution to climate change is completely different.

On 5/18/2018 at 11:19 PM, Pioneer1 said:

While a 20 year old man may see women and categorize them as either women he WANTS to have sex with or women he DOES NOT want to have sex with....e.i. "sex objects"....and treat them accordingly.

Okay, maybe I misunderstood what you wrote here, are you saying that this only applies to 20 year olds?

• Like 1

On 5/25/2018 at 9:32 AM, Delano said:

How can you discuss something much less think about something that is non experiential. 

Like being pregnant or another person or a cat. 

Even with imagination it's a function of our life. 

11 hours ago, Troy said:

You and @Delano put a lot more weight on your personal experiences and gut feelings. 

How does your response make any sense. @Troy

Yeah @Delano, you are probably right in that it is probably impossible to be perfectly objective.

I did not say that your approach was emotional (though it may be).  I wrote that you and Pioneer form opinions based "experiences and gut."  Pioneer more so with experiences and your with gut (meaning intuition).

I'm different in that I see the world through information.  Here is a simple example:  A few days ago I was talking into someone who was lamenting the fact that Grand Central Books, the #2 selling publisher on AALBC, did not have a single book by a Black author in their fall catalog (don;t quote me on the details).  My first reaction was to ask how many titles are they publishing? She replied, "That is a Troy Johnson question."  We know each other well enough to know exactly what that means.

It is like when Google says that have a Black diversity network and a Black Enterprise magazine celebrates the this, while I view it as window dressing that covers up the fact that the company's history of hiring Black people is abysmal and Google has helped to destroy Black web based businesses.

It is just the way I view the world, and I know it is different than most...  Now if I don't have time to analyze something I go with my gut and then my experience, though my gut reaction is based upon experiences (and probably genetics). 

I would say it is the reverse. I  will think why am I having an emotional reaction to a statement. I think about my thinking. My arguments are generally about questioning a person's motivation. There's no objectivity because a person is shaped by their life and their environment. You can mitigate that by examining self rigorously. The unexamined life is lacking objectivity. 

I can have an emotional reaction that's being human: exasperation frustration or agreement. Those are a function of how the conversant feels based on how the discussion is going. 

Cynique is probably one of the most critical thinkers in the forum. She also from time to time has commented on psychological and emotional make up of the men. More so than the women if it all.

She has also stopped posting because it is futile and nothing changes in the mind or the world. 

Everyone has a style Pioneer is the least egotistical. K2 is the most. Pioneer will make a statement and ask others about their experiences and to prove him wrong. 

I don't agree always with his conclusions because I thi nk more abstractly than emotionally. 

@Troy will concede the point but your position is you are right because you're an engineer and your read and think. However you will argue points with out reading what has been posted. You don't have the time nor inclination to read everything. Someone called me a science fan boy because I hold both Richard Feynman and Isaac Newton in high regard. I also hold David Foster Wallace in high regard. And Angela Davis Miles Davis and Prince. The quality of their "thought " is of an entirely different order than everyone else in their field. However Miles Davis, Prince, David Foster Wallace and early Newton , weren't balanced people. I don't know enough about Angela Davis to comment. 

K2 is more like a 50's dad/Reverend Ike kind of guy. He has strong opinions but will read and summarize what is posted. He also seems more willing or capable of changing his position.  And then fervently believing his new viewpoint. 

I don't belive in facts or objectivity. I have been working as a psychic for over 20 years I have talked with literally thousands of women and probably hundreds of men and probably about 50 - 100 couples. What I have noticed is people's ideas shape their world and the world shapes their ideas. That's not really news. What is interesting is to ask those people questions or make comments about their reactions to events and situations. That I logically don't or shouldn't know. What then happens is the person can hear me when I suggest a difference of approach or talk about their motivation. That doesn't generally happen in discussions. It has happened on occasion   because of statements made by Pioneer Mel and Cynique. The difference though is Pioneer self assessed and accurately. I can't recall anyone else doing so with such honesty and humility.

That puts Pioneer in his own category. Which is why he has a special place as far as I am concerned . Also he brings humor to the proceedings. And it is directed at others and himself.

If you can be objective you could put yourself in anyone situation. You wouldn't need to have their experience you could look at their life and understand them.  Troy you were arguing to a woman that Feminism is of lesser importance than the Black struggle. I am making a subtle point here.  It's not about whether it is in fact needed but that you don't think it's needed but it's irrelevant to you as a man. In that instance your subjectivity has blinded you and deafened you. 

There is a lot to unpack there Del, but if I post a reaction to something on this forum -- I absolutely read what was written.  

I'm not sure you explanation of Cynique has not posting lately is completely accurate.  She can better speak for herself, but she is in her 80's and has posted here longer than anyone else (almost as long as myself)...

So you think Pioneer is the only one being honest, or rather more honest than most?  That is interesting because I don't generally tell lies here.  In fact I think I'm too transparent sometimes.  

I don't think Kalexander's opinions are any stronger than anyone else's -- certainly no stronger than yours or mine. I think you see his opinions as being strong (or egotistical) because, for some reason I don't understand, he rubs you the wrong way.

Del I was not arguing as you stated, "that Feminism is of lesser importance than the Black struggle" I would however argue that is probably the case for a Black woman. There is a difference.  The choice between racism and sexism is like deciding whether it is more important to fight for air or water.  Obviously you need air more urgently, but both are very important.  This is analogous to my view for Black women joining white women to in the fight for their rights. Sandra Bland was not killed because she was a woman.  

As far as Feynman and Newton it is easy to hold brilliant and charismatic (in Feynman's case) people in high regard. It is the folks you disagree with that you have to work on.

I'll check out the Foster video before crashing tonight.

• Thanks 2

Gentlemen, the argument between empirical experience, science, and external realities (objectivity) all stem from an internal natural need to make sense of our worldviews which we proclaim in the form of opinions. Opinions are like buttholes, lol, because everyone has one - only size and functionality really matter; or weight and accuratenessDarwinism's validity, if any, is based entirely on creationism's argument regardless of how scientifically reasoned; just as the doctrine of ideas/theories that God immediately creates life out of nothing is rejected for theory, the need for something more natural and tangible.

As for me, I'm still learning to resist the temptation to be right all the time, in the face of obvious wrongs. And i'm getting there little by little. You know! It's useless explaining to someone who knows everything; changing the minds of people with unmovable convictions, a fool and his money, etc.  Now, if that sounds like "why develop medicine when everyone's going to eventually die; or why elect anyone for president if nothing will ever change than it comes back to each of us, what's in it for me/us?

That character, or aggregate quality that distinguishes one person or thing from another; sole or personal nature. A target on the back of my people is a target on my back, a victory for my people is a victory for me. Me, me, me. Everybody's about her/his self; it's nature, morally not wrong but is the nuke that'll destroy us all. In time.  

• Haha 1