Forget Facebook, Google is The Biggest Threat to the World Wide Web

Yeah that might sound hyperbolic, but it is true.  We all know Facebook is working hard to become the Internet, the only site people visit and engage on. But the real threat to the internet is Google.  Google alone controls the World Wide Web.  They determine the traffic a website gets and has their finger in the revenue streams of most of them.

I just blogged about this subject, so you can read more.  If you do please comment and share your thoughts.

Here are a couple of images from the article:

The following chart is my actual Google adsense revenue back in 2011.  You can see, for several months, I was averaging $2,200 a month, after being hit by the Panda Algorithm update my adsense revenue dropped by half the following month then, by half again the next month and was down to $300 in couple for months later.  In my case and many others the penalty made no sense and was unjustified. 

Adsense revenue drops from $2,200 to $300 in 60 days

The image below shows how Google has taken complete control of all of the content, above the fold, on a search on the term bestselling book 2018 -- even before the paid advertising.

Google take control of all the content above the fold of the SERP

Sorry brother, it seems they're calling the shots over the worth of your efforts. Suspicious to me! Yeah, brother Troy, all of them, even twitter weigh too much power over the secular masses, nothing good will become of the power they have over angry, poor, and marginalized people.

@Troy: Okay brother, I read your article "Google Pushes AALBC to 2nd Page of Search Results?!" I found your analogy provocation for further investigation. Interesting take, you have, on Googles' motivation and strategy; but a bit too simplistic.

My curiosity led me to a voluntary international initiative that aims to secure commitments from governments to their citizenry to promote transparency, empower citizens, fight corruption, and harness new technologies to strengthen governance. 

I direct your attention to the statement after the last apostrophe, "and harness new technologies to strengthen governance," especially'governance:' exercise of authority; control and methods or systems of managementInterpretation to that statement is as open as the entire international initiative. Could it be possible social media part opens the door to corporate control of IOT? All under the guise of a 'plan that includes outstanding improvements in fiscal transparency.' Policy 'earmarking' in the form of international initiatives available to every racist country in the west. And beyond.

"No matter which type of site you use for Google AdSense, the three keys to successfully monetizing your website are ... First, the topic you choose for your blog, forum, or free online tool is something that people will be interested in and, therefore, something they will search for. Second, create something useful for the visitors who come to your website. Third, promote shares and valuable backlinks."

Sorry, brother, but promoting literary books for Black readers is not only unwanted by major social media digital organizations but left up to the independent voluntary participation of those organizations. Which basically comes down to a choice you must make, possibly more Black members such as myself; extreme Black folk who recognize no restraint when it comes to Black people, or dancing with the devil to hear the song you want. So to speak!

Prehaps your artcle should be offered to "Huffer Post Black Vocies" for their editors commentary. Everyone should be concerned with AALBC's experience with Google. Thank you of sharing this important information.

Hey @Kalexander2  thanks for the feedback. I wish you would have shared it on the blog post where more people could read it. if it's not too much trouble would you mind doing that?

But in case you don't have a chance to copy and paste your response on my blog, I'll reply here. The best thing to do is help you appreciate the fact that the site has thousands of backlinks and I understand search engine optimization.

The main thrust of the article was to help people understand that Google, who has a monopoly on search, is using their search engine to Market their products. Making websites more diffickut to find. As a result of this, websites particularly independent ones without deep  pockets now find it harder to be discovered.

The best search engine optimization and the best content in the world cannot make up for this. The only thing that can is money and a lot of it.

Websites with good content will struggle more than they should. This makes the web less informative. I'll let you guess which demographic is hurt most by this.

Does this make sense? 

60 Minutes did a segment on Google power on Sunday.  The segment is shown below. They literally addressed every single point i raised in my Blog post.  Honestly, it was almost as if they read my article an did their segment. 

I tell you white folks are at least discussing these issues and we, in the Black community, are still going around praising these monopolies as if they will be our salvation.

If was sad to hear that the Obama administration took so much money from Google.  I mean we know that Google controls our government, but our utter lack of coverage of this issue is why we (Black folk) get f*cked everytime.  Goolge I assert is in fact of the reasons WHY there are fewer Black journalist covering issues that matter to the business community.

Yeah, brother Troy, your piece and the segment are virtually identical. Though I believe more of Google's DOD drone and weaponization of social media aspirations merit greater scrutiny as well. Especially since Google's aim appear to target the Black business community. Thanks for the share!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The article unfortunately needed a great deal of editing.  I've updated and change the title to, “Google‘s Adverse Impact on the World Wide Web,to take the focus off AALBC.com which was not the main point of the article.  I've been reaching out to my media contacts (Black) as they are greatly affected by this issue, but I've gotten no interest so far...

google_search_for_sale.jpg

This update about 8-hours ago: In response to backlash from Google employees, the company has decided to end its relationship with the Department of Defense after its current contract expires in 2019The announcement appears to have been made this morning, just one day after The Intercept published information indicating Google was more deeply involved with the DoD than previously stated. Next week, the company plans to release an updated code of ethics, as Gizmodo notes. 

Google's detachment from DOD will never happen. 2019 is going to be the year Google expands its relationship with DOD. You're (only partially) right. Replace the word "advertisers" with DOD and your argument gets way more complicated and accurate, dangerously accurate. Careful brother, Google has an undisclosed history of not playing fair.  

1 hour ago, Troy said:

Yes you are probably right and the issues regarding the Department of Defense are way above my paygrade.

That's understandable, I happy you said it that way to help keep you conscience of potential dangers. However, I bet if you survive through the normal, less dangerous process of a FOIA request you might get some data that might wake-up some Black media entities.

I visited the terrordome, I mean the googleplex yesterday. I have to admit it very nice campus. I even rode around the one of the bicycles they have laying around. 

@Kalexander2, I'll leave the foia requests to the journalists I've been trying to get to cover the issue.

The pleasant environment hides the destructive forces behind their walls.

IMG_20180604_091035_516.jpg

• Thanks 1

Man I was visiting friends in the area and decided to check out the Googleplex.  It was a sunday afternoon and I just rode around checking things out.  I did not met with executives of anything.  I was doing the tourist thing.  I could tell I was not the only one, as there were others talking selfies in front of Google different buildings as well. 

I have actually been in Google facilities in Boston, Raleigh, and New York city for focus groups and training, but those other locations pale in comparison.

Black people are conspicuously absent not just on Google's campus but in the surrounding community of Mountain View, CA

9 minutes ago, Troy said:

Black people are conspicuously absent not just on Google's campus but in the surrounding community of Mountain View, CA

Humm, interesting! I'am aware of  issues related to Google and Black employment but thought they'd at least be more inclusive of Black presence in their offices, for camara opts, etc.

6 minutes ago, jmachats said:

I've always said that's very interesting and highly ironic since search engine technology was created by a black man

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/01/alan-emtage-search-engine_n_2994090.html

Alan Emtage, thanks Jmachats, my first time hearing this. Learn something new everyday about Black folk! But not surprised because so much Black telent is still out there. Thanks again!!!   

• Like 1

Stacking the Deck, Advanced Stage of Systematical inequality

Wealth in America is systematically unequal by 'continental ancestry'—and particularly between Blacks and Whites. Blacks have a fraction of business opportunities creating wealth than that of white folkresulting in more economical insecurity and far fewer opportunities for upward mobility. Even after considering positive factors such as increased education levels, conforming to social norms, etc., Blacks still have less opportunity and wealth than whites. Resulting into even fewer opportunities for upward mobility, is compounded by lower income levels in the Black community and fewer chances to build or pass accumulated opportunities down to Black children.

And that's the problem W.E.B. Dubois alluded to in his rhetorical assessment of problems of the color divide in America.

Internet and social media conglomerates are widening the gap with advanced systematic White supremacy aimed at suppressing Black owned business's. Google, without a core mission statement remain free to discriminate in their 'business opportunity' offerings and employment practices because they've yet to formally commit to equal opportunity policies.

Now, google, aligned with the Department of Defense has government protection and a green light to discriminate. And Black are laid back, complacent, and willing to sell-out for a tidbit.

Dear Google, Black People are not a generic advertisement

Marginalized, poverty stricken, and victimized but Black folk are not a dead advertisement line; We're alive, but Google says it can't offer a search for "Black People" except as descents of slaves or 'raceof marginalized immigrants. 

Google can satisfy search for White people, White supremacy, and even American Nazi with all their so-called rich histories; but not Black people as 'continental descents' of Africa who caused the world to be what is today. 

Those employees of Google who resist allowing Google to work in the business of war mongers DOD merit some scrutiny.   Considering Google's propensity of non-inclusion and 'robber barons' way of doing business mentality; social and economic aims are questionable.  I don't any sincerity in Google's move.

On 6/4/2018 at 4:40 PM, jmachats said:

I've always said that's very interesting and highly ironic since search engine technology was created by a black man

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/01/alan-emtage-search-engine_n_2994090.html

Is  this dude an angel or  a walk-in who creates things for rich people to profit  from?  Oh wow, just wow.   black people are from another planet.

Thanks for sharing the @jmachats, this is news to me as well -- and I remember search engines from day one -- and I've actually used Archie!  I had no idea a Brother invented it.  I could see why he did not patent it.  Clever people created utilities like this all the time

The Brother says he would not change a thing.  That does not ring particularly true to me. But he seems like a nice guy and I could be reflecting my sensibility onto him.... I rather Alan Emtage be the bazillionaire, I'd be willing to be Google would be far less cut throat.