Funkadelic: Music For Your Mother

Chris

This is the best compliation of Funnkadelic I've ever seen! This collection contains some of their best stuff - period.

There are a couple of cuts, I'm surprised, I never heard before and I like all of them. I have no idea how I missed this compilation before now -- thank YOU.

I have many PF albums and CD and I usually only really like a few of the cuts, I like every single song on this 2 CD set

I'm gonna create a PF playlist with some of these joints and will blog about it shortly... I'll let you know what I've added that is not already in this compliation -- off the top of my head I can't think of anything other than "Testify", but I'll get back to you.

THANKS!

I got the two disk CD this monring the liner notes (which even I will need an electron microscope to read) look pretty infromative and there were a few nice shout of the group.

I immediately burned the disk into iTunes to complete my new PFunk playlist. I think the final list will be about 60 songs. There are not many groups who have 60 songs that I like that much. Which is one reason PF is one of my favorite bands.

Many of the songs on this CD were not the original versions used on the LP (or CD versio of the LP). One song (I don't rememeber which) had the whole intro cut out. It was almost as if the song started in the middle -- not good at all.

The only reason I could see this being done was for space limitations on the CD itself. Actually as I write this, I just noticed that the music was from the 45s: that explains the truncated versions of some of the songs.

If the CD was available via iTunes I would have simply purchased the tracks I did not already own.

Troy, I knew there was something about you I liked from the first. Now I know what it is. Any man who loves the Funk has no sin within him.

I will dance at your next wedding, no matter where it is held.

CHRIS HAYDEN P-FUNK memories:

The first time I saw Funkadelic was in 1972. I had never even heard of them before, was going along because the trip sounded good.

They appeared at University of Illinois in Champaign Urbana. (I went there from 68-70 so I was going to see some old pals, party, etc)

They appeared in a gym. I think the ticket was $2.50.

They started late.

By the time the concert was over one half the audience had left. Not because they were lousy, but because it was so intense. I remember George Clinton came on stage through the audience, scattering people as he came. He had on a loin cloth, a black leotard, a cape, one half of his face was painted white and the other half was silver.

We thought these guys were raving lunatics, the way they acted and performed. The music was great and ear shatteringly loud. They had Bootsy with them. His brother Phelps. Bernie Worrell. Eddie Hazel. They had a horn section. I think most of this band appeared on what was then their latest album "America Eats It's Young"

They performed "Pussy".

The other half of the audience (which I was in , Praises Be to God) had to be told the concert was over and to leave. We were frankly stunned.

I saw them several times after that (I remember one time George Clinton drove out on stage in a Volkswagen--this was Pre Mothership)

Funk is its own reward!

Chris this is one reason I wish I was about 10 years older. I simply was not old enough to attend AND apprciate Parliament/Funkadelic.

My introduction to Clinton and crew can in the late 70's via strong party song "Flashlight".

However I did not discover what I call the "real Funk music" like "Pussy" until the early '80s!

I did not Funkadelic perform live until the 90's. By then George's voice was shot and they were performing songs light Atomic Dog, and the more popular stuff; not of the "real Funk music". I went to see them again a few years ago and it was a disappointing. They were brought in some young blood and it was good to see the aging icons but the "real Funk music" was missing. They used a rappper...

I'm afraid I may never experience, like you, a live performance of the Real Funk music like "Testify", "Pussy", "Icka Prick", "All Your Goodies are Gone", "Can You get to That", etc, etc.

I would be happy to see a tight band cover these classics.

The closet thing I heard to this type of Funk, and lyrics, perfomed in recent years, was a In Livin' Color's "When Love rears it's ugly head" -- and that song is almost 20 years old... I saw In Livin' Color perform for free in Central Park this Summer -- they were great!

I started reading the liner notes of the CD this morning (I found one of those credit card sized magnifying glass old people use in restaurants) and see the reason I had not heard some of the songs is 'cause they were never released and other were only released as 45's.

Are you aware of any artists creating new "real Funk" now?

funkadelic.jpg

http://astore.amazon.com/isbnfind-20/detail/B000001TV7

This from Leroy Baylor...

spread the word to music lovers and those who need healing

'The Healing Power of Music' is the topic when Bernie Worrell is interviewed on 'Respect For Life' Airing live on WHCR, 90.3 FM, Harlem Community Radio Monday, December 20 at 9AM Eastern Time

WHCR is heard in Upper Manhattan, South Bronx, Astoria, East Elmhurst, Queens; Teaneck and Englewood, NJ.

also streaming live on www.whcr.org Bernie Worrell is one of the most creative, intellectual geniuses in the music business. This makes him a perfect guest to explore the healing power of music; plus, how his compositions tapped into the spirit of the millions of fans who love the music he wrote or co-wrote for Parliament and The Funkadelics. If you miss the interview, Worrell is appearing at Joe's Pub in Manhattan this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUiZNoeU6b4

Chris this is one reason I wish I was about 10 years older. I simply was not old enough to attend AND apprciate Parliament/Funkadelic.

My introduction to Clinton and crew can in the late 70's via strong party song "Flashlight".

However I did not discover what I call the "real Funk music" like "Pussy" until the early '80s!

I did not Funkadelic perform live until the 90's. By then George's voice was shot and they were performing songs light Atomic Dog, and the more popular stuff; not of the "real Funk music". I went to see them again a few years ago and it was a disappointing. They were brought in some young blood and it was good to see the aging icons but the "real Funk music" was missing. They used a rappper...

I'm afraid I may never experience, like you, a live performance of the Real Funk music like "Testify", "Pussy", "Icka Prick", "All Your Goodies are Gone", "Can You get to That", etc, etc.

I would be happy to see a tight band cover these classics.

The closet thing I heard to this type of Funk, and lyrics, perfomed in recent years, was a In Livin' Color's "When Love rears it's ugly head" -- and that song is almost 20 years old... I saw In Livin' Color perform for free in Central Park this Summer -- they were great!

I started reading the liner notes of the CD this morning (I found one of those credit card sized magnifying glass old people use in restaurants) and see the reason I had not heard some of the songs is 'cause they were never released and other were only released as 45's.

Are you aware of any artists creating new "real Funk" now?

funkadelic.jpg

http://astore.amazon.com/isbnfind-20/detail/B000001TV7

(The closest I have seen is Janelle Monae. Some of the rappers--like the Geto Boys, used some for samples.