The only good thing about Superfly was Mayfield's soundtrack

If you ask me, the only good thing about Superfly was Mayfield's soundtrack for the original film.

Kam Williams thinks the reboot is excellent ★★★★ (out of 4 stars):

Coincidentally Mayfield's Thinking popped up on my Ipod this afternoon while driving around this afternoon. I find this song very inspirational, in stark contrast to the film.

superfly-2018-movie-poster.jpg

Kalexdander probably doesn't like Curtis Mayfield because he says "nigga" too much.....lol.

I didn't care too much for Superfly or The Mack but I DO have a lot of respect for many of the movies that are commonly called "Blaxploitation" today.

Infact, I was watching Sweetback's Baaaaadass Song the other day.....LOL.

Gimme some Foxy Brown...some Dolemite.....Three The Hard Way.....!!!
I can watch them all night!

Say what you want about those low budget films back then but atleast you got STRONG Black males who not only were the PROTAGONISTS in the film but kicked ass and got the women.

And unlike many interracially casted films in Hollywood,  Black people were usually the PROTAGONISTS in those films.
Except for Django Unchained and a few others, most of the movies out of Hollywood today rarely show a powerful Black male lead who kicks ass, gets the women, and survives in the end.
And they REALLY RARELY portray White men as the "bad guys" like they did back in the 70s.

Another thing I liked about those films in the 70s is the large amount of naked Black women!

It may sound strange coming from a gay white mason but if you

I still remember the Pam Griers, Gloria Hendry's, and Lola Folana's and those nice round brown hips and boucing breasts...lol.

The beauty and sensuality of REALISTIC AfroAmerican women is rarely seen on the big screen today, but in the 70s you saw plenty of it and I think it did a lot to improve the esteem of most Black females.  Finally you had dark skinned and brown skinned Black women with curly and kinky hair on the big screen getting naked with all their curves and Black men loving them up and down.

When was the last time you saw a DARK SKINNED Black women naked in a movie that wasn't about slavery?

I still remember the Pam Griers, Gloria Hendry's, and Lola Folana's and those nice round brown hips and boucing breasts...lol.

I think the 70s was a far more realistic time in Hollywood than today not just for AfroAmericans but for ALL Americans in general because if you look at the movies the people were typically portrayed looking and behaving like they actually did in society.

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

Kalexdander probably doesn't like Curtis Mayfield because he says "nigga" too much.....lol.

THAT’S TRUE, though Mayfield’s use of the derogatory word was not out its popularity or as a form of descriptive communication; Mayfield used the “N” word as a ‘sign of those times’ and with important meaning.  It was the 60’s when I stopped using the ‘N’ word as well the term ‘God D***’ because I understood them to be more than just words when people used them.

I DO have a lot of respect for many of the movies that are commonly called "Blaxploitation" today.

Infact, I was watching Sweetback's Baaaaadass Song the other day.....LOL.

Of course, and you still do (and with LOL, I'm sure!) because that's the limit of your mentality. Respect for exploitation of Blackness and anything that undermines the Black spirit.  How can you live with yourself knowing you support, even minimally, the White way of seeing people?

Say what you want about those low budget films back then but atleast you got STRONG Black males who not only were the PROTAGONISTS in the film but kicked ass and got the women.

And unlike many interracially casted films in Hollywood,  Black people were usually the PROTAGONISTS in those films.
Except for Django Unchained and a few others, most of the movies out of Hollywood today rarely show a powerful Black male lead who kicks ass, gets the women, and survives in the end.
And they REALLY RARELY portray White men as the "bad guys" like they did back in the 70s.

Another thing I liked about those films in the 70s is the large amount of naked Black women!

Man, is there no limit to your warped sense of male masculinity/ strength, exploiting Black women bodies for the sake of personal gain, distributing poison in the Black community further destroying lives and hopes, and violence for the sake of violence?

Obviously, that’s more than just a random feeling, emotional posts such this runs much deeper; it is the way you were reared.  No wonder they established ‘children and family services’ to get children out of households you come from.

You are a misogynistic, complicit Whiteman’s tool and a fool; and a male dominator of nothing, except your own mother.

I think the 70s was a far more realistic time in Hollywood than today not just for AfroAmericans but for ALL Americans in general because if you look at the movies the people were typically portrayed looking and behaving like they actually did in society.

You, absolutely, have no decency, do you? 

• Thanks 1

Freddy's Dead

.Super Fly is one of the few films ever to have been outgrossed by its soundtrack. The soundtrack, along with Marvin Gaye's What's Going On, was one of the pioneering soul concept albums, with its then-unique socially aware lyrics about poverty and drug abuse making the album stand out.

• Thanks 1

I'm not surprised the album make more money than the film -- it was inspired.  K2 summed up the movie quite well. 

There was a lot of great music from that era...Stevie Wonder, the staple singers, and I really would love to hear

Gil Scott's poetry on 45's presidency.

We are no different from whites.  Whites have there gangster movies, so why can't we have ours.  Unfortunately, whites have other movies showing themselves in a more positive light.  And we don't have enough of them.  That is the real problem. 

@wallace That is THE point.  Whites have a great wealth of films depicting themselves as heroes.  We get one film, Black Panther a character made up in the 60's by a couple of white boys, and we go ape-shit.  We are so needy.  They are not.

In this respect there is a world of difference between Black people and white people.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, wallace said:

We are no different from whites.  Whites have there gangster movies, so why can't we have ours.  Unfortunately, whites have other movies showing themselves in a more positive light.  And we don't have enough of them.  That is the real problem. 

Lol....looks like YOU answered your own question before I could.