Unsolicited Advice

What's compelling about Internet Forums is what every contributor has in common. Although most preface their statements with an obligatory "IMO",  let's face it, nobody enters a discussion with the idea that what they post is wrong .  And when everybody feels this way, the stage is set for dissent.  Who really believes that those who contradict you, know what they're talking about? No one thinks what their adversary calls facts, are that reliable. Everyone secretly places great significance on their anecdotal evidence. Meanwhile, coming up with a rebuttal takes priority over giving close attention to what is being claimed by your opponent. Plus, how people react or overreact  in these exchanges depends a lot on their personalities. If the discussion escalates, emotion dislodges logic and the proceedings will become rife with the ad hominem, false equivalency, straw man, non sequitur, cherry-picking tactics, and reverse psychology ploys, -  all of which dilute honest debate.

Calling for calm and politeness does not resonate in an online venue because these free-for-all encounters don't take place in person.  Unfortunately or not, anything goes in a cyber world where folks are not obliged to be held accountable for what they key in the heat of the moment. Words are indeed weapons, but thick skin is a good armor. If you can't stand the heat, get out the kitchen.

America, itself, is the captive of social media, and has become one big national forum made up of Conservative Republicans  and Liberal Democrats.  Of course, both sides think they are right, and civility is at an all time low. Not surprising.  Life is strife.  People are stressed.  And the sun comes up tomorrow.     

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cynique said:

coming up with a rebuttal takes priority over giving close attention to what is being claimed by your opponent.

Very true.

The analogy between online discussion forums and our culture is both valid and depressing. Yes, the sun will continue to come up at least a few billion more years.  Humanity will not be around to witness these as our presence on this planet will last a relative blink of an eye.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 3:25 PM, Cynique said:

Plus, how people react or overreact  in these exchanges depends a lot on their personalities.

@Cynique Well said! 

Personality can get in the way of an honest debate-- honest and well needed debates that I believe need to take place in these times, debates that may lead to answers that we don't have today to solve some terrible problems going on in our society.

Not sure where Cynique is going with this thread but as far as having a "thick skin" on the internet.....it's a must.

It's a shame so many children and young adults are commiting suicided because they feel they are being "bullied" online.
Which pretty much means they're so weak-willed and desparate for the attention of social media that they can't resist the urge to stay online, even if it means being victimized.

I know.  It seems that no amount of internet bullying can compare to real life bullying....

The pull of social media is strong.  The only way I can avoid it on my phone is to not install the apps. I was experimenting with Instagram recently but eventually deleted the apps I can't do it. As a contributor there is a level of narcissism required that I can't muster on a regular basis.  As a consumer I found myself scrolling through nonsense quickly forgetting way I picked up my phone in the first place.  Of course this is by design and even those aware of what is being done can fall prey.

So while committing suicide as a result of internet bullying can seems extreme (and it is), the psychology behind it probably escapes us because were not reared on social media.  The brains of kids are wired differently.

I think much of the problem is the fact that in the age of social media, people simply can't GET THE F*CK AWAY from eachother...lol.

Back when I was a kid, if you were fighting with or being picked on by someone at school....you could atleat go home or back to your neighborhood to get away from them.
You could even have some peace and quite even in school as you changed classes through out the day.
If you got into it with someone in the neighborhood you could get away from them and have a little peace and quiet at school.
If you were having trouble with a family member you could escape them by hanging out with your friends....and vice versa.

This was time for the conflict to cool off, calm down, and people forget about their beefs and move on.

Today everyone has easy access to you 24/7 365 days of the year!

All it takes is the wrong tweet or message on facebook and a war of insults and threats  not only start but become more intense with all your friends watching and instigating it.

Whether you're at home or at school or in a park or sitting on the toilet, the easy access allows you to continue engaging in conflict without any type of cooling off period and this leaves most people emotionally drained having to deal with engaging in so much negative energy non-stop.