Black Pastors Released Video, Announce NFL Boycott

Someone forwarded this to me today on Facebook with the instructions to "forward this every Black person you know."

I have to admit I was a little excited because i thought now, finally, some Black leaders are getting together to take substantive action against the NFL since Colin Kaepernick has been neutralized.

I dug a bit deeper into this effort and see that he video was created LAST YEAR!  My hopes were dashed because obviously this effort had less than zero impact.  Why didn't this effort go viral on the Web?  The video has been posted several times on youtube.  The one with the most views (that I could find) is shared below.  It got less than 83K views.  This is a video created by a bunch of ministers with presumably supportive congregations why am I just now learning about this?!.  They even have a hashtag #blackout.

The answer is obvious we don't control social media. We also do not own any platforms with meaningful reach that would promote this effort and that we also support.  As a result after NFL "killed" Kaepernick their revenues are higher than ever... 

But the most important reason for the failure of this effort is that we, as a people, are too WEAK to boycott the NFL.  We won't boycott social media we won't boycott Amazon, we are  pathetically support those who have demonstrated, time and time again, that they dont give s hit about us.  We deserve everything we get.

It is not too late for the 2018/19 season. 

• Like 1

• Troy featured this topic

My disillusionment  is complete.  Everything about this country is really screwed up.  The wings of the American eagle are about to be clipped, while down below  a burnt out black Phoenix shows no sign of rising from its ashes.  Jesus, if ya comin, hurry up!    😕 

• Like 1

I think this entire protest of the national anthem is creating more problems than it's worth.

I defend the brothers' right to express themselves and not stand for the anthem if they choose but this does NOTHING to combat police brutality or racism.
It's nothing more than a deflection and a waste of time.

Tangibly speaking, what exactly are these players seeking to get out of this?

Don't tell me about "rights" and "respect".....you can't eat that, buy a masion with that, or pass it down from one generation to the next.

What the hell are they fighting and protesting for?

If you want to boycott the NFL to get more money out of the owners or to wrestle power and control away from them and put it in the hands of AfroAmericans....I agree and support it.
But just acting a fool and fighting rich White men who write your paycheck without clear goals and clear benefits is foolish...in my opinion.

"Hey yall!!
Let's come together, lock arms, and kneel on the field!!"

Now what fool????

Did that publicity stunt stop that racist cop or citizen from shooting down an unarmed Black person????

If you have a problem with police brutality then go down to the police station where it occured and THAT will have more of an impact than throwing a temper tantrum on the football field like an overgrown child.

A White man just got off for pulling out a gun and shooting a Black man to death over a parking space down in Florida.

So what next, are Black folks going to lock arms and protest Disney World????

We need some REAL leadership today.

@Pioneer1 We might not agree with Colin's tactics or lack of a strategy, but clearly we agree with the spirit of what he was trying to accomplish and we should support him.  But again we won't because collectively (save the ministers in the video), we refuse to stand up for ourselves.

The boycott now would be to punish the NFL, in a way they understand, financially, for firing Colin. 

@Chevdove, it probably is too early for us to boycott the NFL.  We are simply not ready.

• Like 1

Troy

It's hard to really support the brother because I don't know his aim.

What's the "end game" of all this?

I WANT to support him because I admire him standing up for his beliefs and I don't like to see a Black man who....well HALF Black man....lol....who stands up for his beliefs to be left out in the cold.

But DAMN.....

What is the kid fighting for?

You have a problem with racist cops shooting down unarmed Black men, so you get down on your knees when the national athem is played???
THAT is your solution to the problem???

And now the plan is to expect Black men nation wide to voluntarily give up one of their favorite sports and forms of entertainment to try and "punish" rich old white men who have enough money to pass down 7 generations????

Come on bro.

We need to think this thing through all the way from the rooter to the tooter.

Again, EXACTLY WHAT are the goals or the end game supposed to be and look like?

Boycott the NFL until WHAT?
What would the conditions that would have to be met be?

If we had THAT much unity I would waste it on a boycott, I'd use it to build our own football league and let the owners do whatever the hell they WANT to do while I focused on my own games and championship matches....lol.

4 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

What's the "end game" of all this?

@Pioneer1 Maybe that is the big question that Colin has responded to in his actions. Maybe he can see a bigger picture. I'm not sure either, but something strange 

is going on in America. I think there is some kind of movement going on and certain Black people and others too are being targeted.  In the long run, maybe Colin sees where the NFL may tie into something. There are a lot of Black men in this sport and well, maybe they may feel exploited too, as well paid pawns, while other Black men are being killed by police. The White House deals with economical issues and so, what about all of that money being passed around in the sports world? Just recently Will Smith starred in a film about how football players are being exploited and this too, seems like it was all a part of some movement from higher levels than just the movie making industry. This has become a legal issue. All of these cases about CTI or some kind of brain damage being downplayed are now a legal issue and a money issue and more. This system is crumbling and I think lawmakers are scrambling to try and make their fall a little easier at the expense of others. The NFL players maybe sensing something on these underlying levels and are connecting the dots, so to speak. 

Yes, I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist, but that is what I am thinking about. Right now, I just have a lot of questions, but they are loaded questions though. Something strange is going on in the world today, and not just in America. 

• 2 weeks later...

Chevdove

I think there is some kind of movement going on and certain Black people and others too are being targeted.

It's funny you said this, because I said the same thing in another thread just a few minutes ago about AfroAmericans being "targetted".

https://aalbc.com/tc/topic/5319-the-absurdity-of-the-truth/

It's not the problem of racism and police brutality that I disagree with Colin over.
We both agree that it's a major problem that needs to be solved.

It's the SOLUTION (or lack of one coming from him) that I take issue with.

First of all, he and many others are wasting too much precious time trying to "call attention" to a problem that most people already knows exist.
Both the victims AND the perpetrators know that racism and police brutality exist and have for decades if not centuries...so who's attention is he trying to call?

Secondly, whatever type of problem he's seeing down the line or major issue he has privy too that most of us aren't aware of......how is his kneeling on the field going to solve it?

Again, his behavior just causes more confusion and leads our people in the wrong direction.
We need REAL leadership who will give us a REAL gameplan as to how to solve the problems we face and get positive results.....not window dressing and show boating just to bring attention to a problem everyone already knows exists.

You men on this site just don't get it! You're so busy trying to discredit another brotha, that you can't wrap your mind around the fact that his taking a knee has scored a moral victory because it is still being  discussed, debated, challenged, and prolonged.  It exposes and lays bare the hypocrisy of what the American flag is supposed to stand for.  It embarrasses white patriots, it  galls the twitter-happy fool occupying the white house, it makes franchise owners uneasy, it makes black athletes soul-search, it is a thorn in the side of white law enforcement.  But, noooo, you naysayers stand around criticizing Colin Kaepernick when his only crime is that he is in the same category as all the other back men who have  failed to make equal justice a reality is this country that doesn't give a damn about them.  😖

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

You're focused on his EFFORTS.....I'm focused on his RESULTS or the lack of them.

His efforts are admirable as well as his reasons for doing so, but if he's not CHANGING a damn thing....they're futile.

They are not futile.  His efforts have changed the dialogue about what the American flag represents and have also brought change in regard to giving NFL players the option of staying in the locker room when the anthem is played.  

Cynique

They are not futile. His efforts have changed the dialogue about what the American flag represents and have also brought change in regard to giving NFL players the option of staying in the locker room when the anthem is played.

Oh, well if his purpose was to simply change the DIALOGUE then perhaps he indeed WAS successful!

But I would think the purpose was (or atleast should be) to change the BEHAVIOR of the police officers involved, and actually STOP the killing.

Clearly his "protest" hasn't done that or even made a dent in it.

Troy

If EVERY player in the NFL both Black and White as well as "others" were to all fall down and start wallowing on the ground and barking like dogs in protest to the national anthem....again...exactly WHAT would it change?

Do you think this will cause the police to be less aggressive or will change the attitude of White Supremists?

More numbers are meaningless if the goal is obscure or non-existent.

Trump said that half of the players out there protesting don't even know what the hell they're protest for or about.
For the first time I'm in complete agreement with him, lol.

Well @Pioneer1 I admit my position is changing on this issue.  I always viewed pro athletes as entertainers, you know people you provide amusement for others -- they have no agency besides what their owners provide. 

Colin exhibited a minor form of protest and he was summarily executed -- obviously the NFL colluded against him and was never punished, while Collins lost his livelihood.  Seemingly there was nothing anyone could do about it.

Today, it appears others, clearly risking their own careers given Colin's example, are "standing up," for themselves and Colin -- invoking their right to engage in a symbolic protest, however minor -- against the will of 45, the NFL owners, and many of the fans.  This is can be a powerful thing.

If this protest continues and builds momentum, the NFL and the general public, will have no choice but to yield to the protests -- they can't fire everybody.  At some point the media will have to consider why they are kneeling -- forcing the public to reconcile the outrage decent people feel about police killing black people with reckless abandon.

Our million-dollar-slaves will will gain some power and control in their role -- who knows where else that will lead.

I honestly don't think the protest will grow to a point when it comes to a head, but you can always hope.

• Like 1

Well, I suppose I can look at it this way.............

If this issue catches fire to the point that it UNITES most Black men in solidarity around the issue regardless of how vague it may be, then I would consider it a good result.
Not the best or most ideal result, but better than nothing.

However I still believe it MAY be causing more harm than good because it's pissing off a lot of Caucasians who ordinarily would have stayed on the sidelines and NOT support Trump....but because they love this nation and believe in that flag will NOW side with Trump against the players whom they will deem "unpatriotic".

I believe they're needlessly making more enemies.