Queen Bey and empowerment

1 hour ago, Troy said:

Yes, yes @Mel Hopkins all of it is defined by, and impacts, the culture. It is a complex system of influences. However when people are influenced solely by money -- as publicly traded companies are, the tactics become more nefarious resulting in more negative outcomes than we would get from the influence of art.

@Troy , the arts can be used for negative outcomes too... I was giving you an example that seemed to be positive but doesn't have to be. 

Further, I used written works or the arts as a method to shape society to illustrate, like advertising, it operates on a subconscious level to bring about a desired outcome or goal.  It doesn't matter if the goal is money driven, seeking to control a group or to be an opiate of the masses - it is far more effective than advertising.

Consider how scripture was and is used throughout the world to remove wealth and power from the masses.  

By the way. if advertising were effective as you believe- then it could easily change the behavior of gangbangers in Chicago.  It would be effective at ending all types of undesirable behaviors - but even with the large money backed PSAs we see the only people who respond are the ones who want to.

30 minutes ago, Delano said:

I believe marketing is effective because identity is a chimera and people are pack animals.

@Delano, Yes!  I heard a study that most people will purchase products because it allows them access to community; or to be in with "the group."   It would even explain why facebook is still so popular even though people know they've been used and abused by the company.  Loners don't need validation so they are rarely interested in being "in"... in fact, being "in" is repulsive to some loners. 

Kurt Vonnegut was doing marketing for one of the big three auto makers in Detroit. Annie Liebowitz is both a fashion photographer and artist. Melvin Van Peebles was in Financial Service became a film maker writer and painter. So they aren't mutually exclusive categories. 

About 30 years ago I was in a focus group. I wasn't chosen because I did not buy mainstream products. At that point I realised I wasn't a typical consumer. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Cynique said:

i never knew this style had a name or do i recall them wearing the kind of chokers you described.  Maybe it's a regional thing or maybe i just wasn't hip to this because i was in my 40s during that era.

Yes maybe it was regional. I too didn't realize it has a name but I remember when it was fashionable and I remember when my older sister wore this style. I think I heard the name much later. I also wonder if this was around the time when the Hippies were popular. 

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

TWA Pictures

How-Can-I-Style-Short-Natural-Hair.png

13-cute-blonde-TWA-hairstyle.jpg

• Like 2

I do believe that ideas pumped into our society can be distructive and, I also believe that some beauty features such as wearing certain hairstyles can be viewed as supporting White Supremacy and Colorism, but today, it is not altogether viewed the same as it was in the past. Today, there are some Black women that wear hairstyles such as blonde afros and weaves as an enhancement to their features like this sista I posted. beautiful!!! She is so beautiful. 

• Like 2

On 8/6/2018 at 11:39 AM, Troy said:

There has been a lot of discussion about this subject recently, particularly as if becomes obvious that one person can not possibly provide all the emotional and physical needs another may need.

@Troy, I didn't agree with everything you wrote in the full comment  where I pulled this quote from but I put a  "like" on it because it was thoughtful.  

As for the quote,  I hear a lot of people say and write this sentiment.  I wonder, however, why some believe that it's up to someone outside of us to provide for OUR emotional and physical needs.  Biologically, I understand the need to procreate with more than one person - women have been doing it since females began mating with males... but sex for pleasure has nothing to do with variety... (and no, I'm not speaking from ignorance - I've had my fair share of sex partners and lovers).  And variety definitely has nothing to do with satisfying an individual's emotional needs.   

When I hear this, I know that the person has not matured to the level necessary to engage in a fulfilling relationship with another person.  

Our parents choose to provide for our physical and emotional needs and if they do their job right - we learn how to engage in loving relationships with others.  We can have successful relationships without expecting others to do the job of our parents.  

Maybe that's why polyandry, polygamy, and polyamory appeal to so many "first world" citizens. We've been raised to believe others are supposed to do our heavy lifting whether it be physical, emotional, financial or spiritual.   I can testify while we may thrive in a nurturing community - the aforementioned is an inside job.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Mel Hopkins, speaking of Black women with Blond hair:  I was in Atlanta for a few days covering a book event.  I've been sharing links to over 20 videos I've created over the past few days. There were at least three Black authors with Blond hair, either dyed, wig or weave.  I just happened to notice this as I was publishing the videos. One such video is shared below.

Admittedly, to @Cynique's point, I do not think these women are self-hating Black women trying to be like white women --  quite the contrary.  One woman, in particular, is simply unique and does what she wants to do despite what anyone else might think. She is an example of a powerful person. 

Considering these sisters and additional contemplation, I'm backing off my position of categorizing these women being under the direct influence of marketers in relationship to how they they style their hair.  This may have been true at some point, but in 2018 it has grow way beyond the simple explanation I have asserted.

That does not mean I don't not think profit driven marketers don't have an adverse influence on us all (cigarettes, social media, etc), but when it comes to what women do with their hair and why it just is far more complex -- You go Bey LOL!

• Like 2

On 8/14/2018 at 2:29 PM, Troy said:

but when it comes to what women do with their hair and why it just is far more complex -- You go Bey LOL! 

@Troy  It really is - and it seems to go back for millennia ... Woman up in that video is looking quite fly - though and that snake print dress is killing it. 

oh wait! It's a jumpsuit!  LOVE IT!

Yeah Mary does not play 🙂

She had been publishing books for years and was/is one of Kensington's most popular authors. here is another video of Mary, that was filmed in my home when I lived in Harlem.  The video is at least 10 years old.  The chaise lounge Abiola is sitting on in now in my bedroom in FL  -- man so much has changed in my life since this video was shot.  Mary (both women) continue to adapt over the years.  

On 8/12/2018 at 8:51 AM, Delano said:

@Troywhy do you use Google? When you admit they are putting you out of business. That's less sensical than smokers or drinkers, since the ads the people are having fun with other people. And there is a physiological change after using the product 

@Troy