Finding common ground

Yeah, I've heard Robert talk on this issue previously and I read the article.  Robert Reich, is a really smart and thoughtful guy.  He probably surrounds himself with similar people, people who are willing to change their positions given facts, new information, or a different perspective; the kind of people who have time and education to contemplate big ideas and are not worrying about how to put food on the table. 

Finding ground with these types of people, opened minded and reasonable, would work using those 10 steps. 

Try reasoning, in this manner, with a poor white racist to help them understand that Black people are no different that they are (or God forbid that genetically we are all the same).  Depending upon who you are talking to it might get you killed.

Some people's minds will never change, the only way to get then to comply -- if at all -- is with a foot up their ass.  Seriously, force is what freed the slaves and got us the right to vote.  Finding common ground sounds good on paper (or the screen), but in the real world, as the Four-Eyed Gangsta once said, "you need a bigger gun and the willingness to ue it."

• Like 1

The only people eager to sympathize with  the whites who support Donald Trump, are other white people, moderates who want to portray Trumpites  as poor misunderstood souls who feel neglected, threatened and ridiculed but are really good people who should be reached out to rather than villainized.  Black people do the same thing, They defend other blacks no matter how wrong they are, portraying them as victims of racism and injustice, who attend bad schools and can't find jobs, losers who, if given an equal chance,  would all be productive upstanding people.

In reality, Trump's  followers are either overt or covert bigots full of resentment toward anybody who doesn't look like them or adhere to a conventional  life style. Similarly, a certain element of blacks are  gang-bangers and chronic law breakers, slovenly ghettoites, or slick, self-serving hustlers. People don't want to give up on the worst among their group, hoping they can fit them into a category that re-classifies them as being different from what they really are.  The pathway to hell is paved with good intentions. The truth hurts but denial takes the sting out of it. Prejudiced white folks ain't gonna change, and jive-assed black ones ain't either. They are what they are.

Deep down inside white folks know they are in danger of extinction.   Eventually, black ones will  realize they will be absorbed by browness.  Common  ground?   When the deal goes down, a matter of survival will force each side to unite with their own kind.  If a showdown ever comes, there will be no common ground.   

I

2 minutes ago, Delano said:

Malcolm X. Change is possible. 

Is Malcolm X god?  Black people treat him like he is, like his words are the absolute sacrosanct gospel truth.  He changed, ended up getting assassinated and his legacy is nothing but a bunch of quotes, that parroted what other leaders had already said. and what  black people already knew but didn't say in public.    

@Delano What? 

@Cynique I think it is a combination of all of the people you described, not one or the other.  Sure there are some Black lowlifes, who would be evil under the best of conditions (same for white folks).  Also, I do believe there are some misguided white folks (let's not forget the Black ones), who voted for 45.  But I do believe his base are racist white people and greedy business folks.

16 hours ago, Delano said:

Malcolm X to use your terminology was a "low life". Did he die a lowlife? 

@Deli think it was more like Malcolm reverted to his true self. His low life persona was a facade.  He came from a good family.    Changing didn't spare his life or make a difference in the world.

@Troy

18 hours ago, Troy said:

I think it is a combination of all of the people you described, not one or the other.  Sure there are some Black lowlifes, who would be evil under the best of conditions (same for white folks).  Also, I do believe there are some misguided white folks (let's not forget the Black ones), who voted for 45.  But I do believe his base are racist white people and greedy business folks.

You think "what" is a combination of all the people i described? 

Although it's ideal that we try to get along with our neighbors and co-workers in order to dwell and operate peaceably among them.......
I don't think we as AfroAmericans should make the mistake in believing.....as too many often do...that we can CHANGE the beliefs  of extremely racist Caucasians simply through dialog or by helping them to "understand" who we are.

Dylan Roof was only 20 or 21 when he had enough hate in him to go to a church and coldly sit up among his victims having service and fellowship with them moments before opening fire and slaughtering 9 of them.

You're dealing with a cold blooded HATRED that conversations and pleas for understanding simply won't cure.

Neely Fuller Jr. said that the relationship between Blacks and Whites in America has historically revolved around the 3T's: Tacky, Tragic, and Terroristic.
He said it doesn't get any better than TACKY.... that shaky, uneasy feeling of  never quite being relaxed around eachother and having to constantly be careful about what you do or say around eachother.
That's not the best way to live.

Rather than living in fear and anxiety trying to live with people who don't like you, sometimes the best solution for us is to STAY AWAY from them and have our own communities where we can dwell among eachother in peace and prosperity.