Black and White Deaths in Living Color

Americans have really gone overboard in their apparent need to elevate icons to the level of idols who they can drench with adoration.  No sooner do we recover from the loss of the Queen of Soul whose death  set off an orgy of adulation, than Arizona senator and naval war hero john McCain sails away on a deep sea of accolades,   

The nation submerged itself in grief,  mourning the departure of 2 familiar and beloved figures,  treating their deaths as world shattering events that set off  weeks-long coverage.  Of course the media played its part in turning these events into epics.  Regular network  programming was interrupted to announce these deaths.  Pictures of the deceased were splashed on the front pages of newspapers and magazines all over the country. Prime time TV  dedicated entire shows to remembering their lives, featuring their choked-up contemporaries as guests. Cable networks streamed repeats of their tributes. In Aretha's case, radio airways were inundated with her hits, attention called to her being the recipient of many awards and how her signature song "Respect", became the anthem of women everywhere.  Fellow artists inspired by her, recalled in interviews how awesome her soaring voice was, - her songs hailed as toe-tapping and soul searing.  Everybody had their favorite Aretha record and who but BET is scheduled to air the special of a star-studded memorial service that will follow  2 days of her lying in state for fan viewing.  In his tribute to Aretha, President Obama referred to her as a national treasure... pause for Miz Benita to roll her eyes before cupping her hand to her mouth and confiding: "more like a faded diva who, once past her prime, got by on a reputation that excused a strident howl struggling to reach the high notes that a clarion voice once easily caressed, no mention being made of albums that never went platinum,  while fellow divas like Patti LaBelle and Chaka Kahn continued to kick ass. But i'm not one to gossip so you didn't hear that from me."  

In death, John McCain has been given the treatment befitting a head of state.  He is being extolled as a courageous war hero, a POW who endured torture, a former presidential candidate, a U.S. Senator of statesman caliber, his passing marked by flags in Washington DC being lowered to half-staff. Both his Republican and Democratic senate colleagues praise  his willingness to compromise. His body will also lie in state for public viewing  and his funeral  will be attended by  ex-presidents who will honor and eulogize him. He will later be laid to rest at Arlington National cemetery with full honors. A brave war hero who earned a chest full of combat medals... pause for Miz Benita to roll her eyes and cup  her hand around her mouth before confiding:  "more like a mouth full of bigotry, a someone who back in the day was a racist, homophobic misogynist who, in private, liked to regale his buddies with jokes about niggers and Asians and dykes and cunts, a hold out who voted against making MLK's birthday a holiday in Arizona, - a captive suspected of revealing secrets while in enemy custody,   But I'm not one to gossip so you didn't hear that from me."

Whatever. We loved Ree-Ree! We'll miss her and remember her at her best, glad that she will be given a grand send-off in keeping with her fabulous image.   John McCain? There are numerous reports that he reformed his biased  ways, acquiring a wisdom that comes with age... pause for Miz Benita to shrug and reflect:  "What can i say that i haven't already said?  Nobody's perfect.  And you heard that from me."  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whoa Miz Benita, betta watch out spreading rumors about our newly Sainted cultural icons -- even 45 had to be respectful.  😮

I was unaware of McCain's racism, but given his age and background that is not a surprise. 

While I try to avoid all the hype the media generate I did see Ms. Franklin's red heels -- that seemed a bit much to show.  I can ever remember seeing anyone shoes in their coffin. It is amazing what the media choose to cover -- the shoes of a dead woman... sheesh.

Tell Mz. Benita she can post here anytime -- just tell her not to spread any gossip about me LOL!

• Haha 1

Aretha Franklin killed it when she sung natural woman Carol King wrote it I believe. She was in as were the Obamas. I have heard her struggle to hur notes but not in that performance. 

From 2015

McCain left his model wife after his release from a POW camp. Sge had an accident was two inches shorter. He cheated on her and eventually left her for an heiress 19 years his junior. His former wife had a child kd

with him and two from a previous relationship. 

• Like 1