Serena Williams Cartoon

I actually watched this match in its entirety. Serena looked heavy (thick around the middle) and the younger, more fit, Osaka had her running the court.  It looked pretty clear to me that Serena would lose the match.  In her prime, Serena would have beat Osaka.

Now I don't watch enough tennis to know if Serena's outburst was unusual or how they compare to other female players.  I know John McEnroe was famous for similar outbursts, but I don't recall or know how he was treated by the officials. 

Serena was given her first penalty for coaching.  It was pretty clear that Serna was being coached; the commentator said it during the match, there was video of the coach giving signals, and Serna changed her play (approaching the net).  

The next day I heard a commentator say "every player" is coached from the sidelines, but rarely is a player given a violation -- usually it is a soft warning.  They felt this should have been done to Serena, in this instance.  This sound plausible but again I don't watch enough Tennis to know if this is that case.

What I do know is that Serena's reaction was over the top.  She was talking about never cheating and not wanting to set a bad example for here daughter?!  She was literally having a tantrum. Surely, she must have know the official was not going to reverse his decision after it was made.  She should have sucked it up and played her game.

Destroying her racket, continuing the tantrum, should have resulted in a penalty -- that was clear.  The 3rd violation for verbal abuse -- folks better informed than I can argue that.  But again Serena should have played her game.

I've been pulled over driving a number of times -- for no reason.  Once a tropper made me get out of the car.  I asked him why I was pulled over, and he proceeded to yell at me about it being "his road."  I did not crack my lips, because obviously yelling back at the trooper would have made matters worse--perhaps much worse (Black people who know what I mean).

Serena was penalized an entire game -- a harsh penalty which many argue was too much, which I can understand and tend to agree.  I don't think Serena should have been treated with kid gloves either because she is the GOAT.  Osaka deserved a fair match.

Osaka gave Serena the next game by deliberately losing it.  I have not heard anyone say this, but it seemed pretty obvious Osaka threw the very next game -- negating the impact of the penalty.

I'm glad Serena did not play the "race" card. That would have been unreasonable given she was playing against a Black player.  The sexism claim did not make sense to me because there are no men in her tournament.  Still, she had to deal with the game she was playing.  Her father prepared her to be mentally tough... seems she has forgotten that lesson.

As far as the cartoon, is concerned, it is not racist, and kind of funny.

Racist Serena Cartoon?

Now if image if a cartoon, like the one of John McEnroe below, was done of Serena.  One could argue whether is is racist or not, but it would not be funny in the least bit.  You can't make cartoon's of a Black person being lynched and expect anyone (save some 45 supporters) to think it would be funny.

John McEnroe being lynched

Someone just forwarded me this article on the Huffington Post in which the writer has a completely different perspective. She views the situation purely from a racial perspective the game of Tennis does not factor into her calculus at all. It is curious as the writer points out the Osaka is drawn as a lilly white women with blond hair!  Why?  

I have to admit now that the cartoon is indeed a bit racist considering that the cartoonist is exaggerating Serena's tantrum by contrasting her with a blond opponent, as if the blond girl is the standard for behavior on the tennis court.  Again, why not draw Osaka as the Black woman she is.  Seems everything is distorted by "race" in the Western world

The Whitewashing Of Naomi Osaka: The U.S. Open tennis champion’s biracial identity is inconvenient in a racist narrative that turns Serena Williams into a stereotype.

"But there are actually two narratives at play here. There’s the one in which Osaka is reduced to a silent and silenced victim; tearful; not quite white, but not black either. Reporters ask her whether Williams’s “behavior” made Osaka lose respect for her, reinforcing coded stereotypes that have everything to do with colorism, model minority myths and the culture’s implicit hatred of black women like Serena Williams." 

That is how Facebook (social media) works.  I have not seens a single favorable reaction to this cartoon -- not one. 

The cartoonists Facebook page would certainly skew favorable, as it is his filter bubble of friends and fans.  My filter bubble is mostly Black women. It is worth considering if that fact is one of the reasons I've changed my position...  

It would be interesting to read what the female posters, @Cynique, @Mel Hopkins, @Chevdove, and readers here think.  

1 hour ago, Troy said:

It would be interesting to read what the female posters, @Cynique, @Mel Hopkins, @Chevdove, and readers here think.  

@Troy  As a black american woman, I'm used to the double sometime triple standard that we operate under.   Black american women  are regulated to the "de mule uh de world" position in this society- so anytime I hear of us doing well; I cheer.   However, if we do too well we become targets.   Therefore, this cartoon doesn't surprised me and neither does exaggerating the physical features of the darker woman in contrast to the drawing of a petite fair-skinned blond-hair allegedly subservient women .  It's par for course when others seek to put us black american women in our place.     Sadly, it appears to be working too.  So many black women in my twitter timeline are truly butthurt.  

As for me - I ain't got time for it.   Amazon has just merged Create Space and Kindle Direct Publishing.  There are far too many gullible writers in the world looking for the easy button that won't see that this merger will ultimately hurt independent publishers.  So later for that stupid cartoon...we folks who like to keep control of our intellectual property are busy right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Troy said:

My filter bubble is mostly Black women. It is worth considering if that fact is one of the reasons I've changed my position...  

@Troy I was indifferent until I read the rest of the post and others pointing out the Haitian/Japanese opponent Osaka that was depicted in the caricature as a White woman. Granted her hairstyle does have a blonde tip, but the picture was clearly a White woman with blonde hair. So, I think that it was heavy handed in his depiction of Serena. I might be a little biased too, though, because I think Serena is gorgeous. She's so beautiful and she carries herself with 'a right to be unique' and she's stylish. So, I think the depiction is kind of cute, and it depicts her having a tantrum. So even if he meant to demean her, I hope it does continue to backfire. As far as her getting called on showing bad behavior, well, I don't know enough about the rules to comment on that issue. Serean might have to pay that fine. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Chevdove said:

...it depicts her having a tantrum. So even if he meant to demean her...

30 minutes ago, Mel Hopkins said:

...when others seek to put us black american women in our place.

Now was the cartoonist engaging in satire, a racist trying to put her in her place by demeaning her, or reflecting a culture that elevates whiteness and marginalizes Blackness subtly, directly, and everything in between?

I doubt Serena's reaction was just about that specific penalty, but a culmination of a entire career of unfair treatment (perceived or otherwise).  When people fly off the handle that way it usually is not about that specific event, but more like the straw that broke the camel's back. 

• Like 1

Due to the Blacklash he has decided not to do any more cartoons about race. Just stated his wife and children are being incinerated on social media. He drew Naomi lighter than the umpire.  Also the umpires in the cartoon ask Naomi can you just let her win.

The other issue is that Serena was about to tie Australian Margaret Court record for wins, which may be a factor. 

@Delano Serena was behind and clearly losing the match.  The notion that the umpire was trying to hurt Serena's chances is a stretch and unnecessary.

That is another problem with social media it exaggerated everything.  The cartoonist can rest assured social media will be on to the next shiny thing is 2 minutes, his cartoon will be completely forgotten, and he can fade back into obscurity.

This article discusses both sides.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-12/serena-williams-herald-sun-republishes-mark-knight-cartoon/10235886?pfmredir=sm

#Troy

I haven't seen the match. The paper deactivated his Twitter account. The paper defended him reprinted the cartoon on their front page. They will sell a lot of papers and he is famous or infamous depending on your politics. 

3 hours ago, Troy said:

Now was the cartoonist engaging in satire, a racist trying to put her in her place by demeaning her, or reflecting a culture that elevates whiteness and marginalizes Blackness subtly, directly, and everything in between?

Here's a perfect example of what I was referring to earlier. This comment was in response to my answer about a low point in my flight attendant career. As far as society is concerned, black women aren't allowed to display human frailties.   This is what Serena has been dealing with her whole career but on a global scale.  It is actually more than frustrating; it's infuriating.  But as the Angel Maya Angelou wrote "Still [we] rise".  

typical. You are American so you can et away wit anything bc you're black. You are propagating the reality in your country tat black American females are aggressive and cannot control themselves. I am glad you shared this. o hand btw try tis in Europe sweetie and you will be fined or arrested. black women are not allowed to attack anyone especially white women in beautiful cultured Europe. no black entitlement special status bc of slavery tat happened 200 yrs ago wen black on white crime is the norm. which is why I live in Western Europe.<3 you do your job THEY should have fired you. Any classy airline would but you work for an American company. you are incompetent and bc you are black they are afraid to. psycho. You are a servant in the air nothing more. Quora

https://www.quora.com/As-a-flight-attendant-whats-the-dirtiest-thing-you-have-done-during-a-flight/answer/Mel-Hopkins-1/comment/72884111?__nsrc__=4&__snid3__=3214182566

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The pecking order white male white female black male black female. The White Male is the main character in history and culture, everyone else has varying levels of invisibility. You can also add sexual orientation and cultural/country to the mix. Gay white men would be situated between straight white men and straight whute women. 

So men talk down to women and whites talk down to blacks. So the more powerf you have the easier it is us to dismiss those below you or simply not validate their existence. Even insults are asymptomatic 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Delano said:

The pecking order white male white female black male black female.

@Delano I would agree and high-five this statement but black american men  got the right to vote here in the U.S. before white women. 

Only white 'spinsters' could enter contracts and own property but still couldn't vote.    Meanwhile white married women were still considered chattel almost two scores after slavery ended. 

But yes, today black men earn 70 cent on the dollar that white men earn - down from the 80 cents - a few years ago. Today, white women earn 80.5 cent on a dollar...so economically and socially, everyone in America (and apparently abroad) believe they can ish on black women.

I think I would put black male ahead of white female.

Black men got the right to vote first.  Black man handily defeated a white woman for the democratic nomination for president.

I would also include class in the equation @Delano. Rich, white men rule the world.  But a rich Black woman trumps a poor white man.  As long as the difference in class is visibly obvious.

• Like 1

For clarity's sake @Delano I did not say "poorer," as in less rich than Serena. I wrote "poor" as impoverished.  Tell me about any poor white white man's tantrums that get any attention.  They have to shoot up some place to get any attention then it is only negative.

Both Black and white people came to Serena's defense.  Who defends poor white people?  We all all just relegate them to the as poor white trailer park trash bucket and forget about them.

Big banks take their homes, we send them to die in senseless wars, we send jobs with decent wages to foreign countries and we educate them so poorly that they defend all of the abuse heaped onto them. We don't even think about them until they start ODing on Oxycodone, put 45 in the white house, or shoot up a school.

If you are poor and Black in America you have your work cut out for you -- I won't even debate about relative gender differences for poor black people, because they are too small to be of much consequence and there are so many variables; size, darkness of skin, education, accent, geography, age, etc...

Troy you are right but also wrong. Who is defending poor whites Donald J Trump nominally while they get pick pocketed.

Master overseer slave it still works. 

Actually his message is for disenfranchised whit's who are more concerned with maintain their perceived superiority than fairness justice or liberty for all.

• Like 2

@Troy if you drove an expensive car into Alabama found the lowest class white person and insulted them, would your class protect you? Class like race is a construct unlike countries that have royalty. Its all about divide and conquer. No amount of money will white wash dark complexion. If yiy believe that your class protects you, then we had  better put you on the endangered species list. 

• Like 2

@Delano sometimes I think that you just want to disagree.  You made a few statement that I did not make (or imply) and that I disagree with.  I don't even know where to begin....

However I'll ask you this simple question Del: Who is better off in America a wealthy, educated, Black man; or a poor, uneducated white man?  

On 9/12/2018 at 4:20 PM, Troy said:

Tell me about any poor white white man's tantrums that get any attention.  They have to shoot up some place to get any attention then it is only ne

The people going on shooting sprees and those who become victims of the oxicodone,  are more likely to be dysfunctional middle class whites, than ignorant snaggle-toothed Trump supporters  high on meth, open carrying their assault rifles more for show than mass killings.  You waste your empathy of these underclass  whites   who put Trump in office. You fall into the same category as the bleeding heart liberals who make excuses for these so-called victims.  I can say with just as much conviction that they are not sympathetic characters but are bigots who did feel their white entitlement was threatened. Observe them at Trump rallies and listen to them in interviews. They bristle with resentment toward people not conditions.   

Kanye talked about slavery being a choice and he was wrong because black people were physically and mentally shackled.  But for the millions of slovenly, indigent white folks, subsisting on government handouts is a choice.  No matter how bad their schools, they are still better-funded and operated than black ones.  They need only to make an effort to get their act together and these whites are free to seek their fortune, secure in the knowledge that their white skin privilege is their ticket to a better life.

Compare whites and blacks to their peers when asking the question who is better off.  A poor white person is better off than a poor black person, and a middle class white person is better off then a middle class black one.  A middle class black person is only better off than a poor white person because he has shown more ambition but his status doesn't immunize him against racism.   

• Thanks 2

I don't know if the decisions made against Serena by the officials were racist, I don't know enough about tennis to make that judgement; but I DO believe this cartoon is racist.

Not just because of it's depiction of Serena, but because they replaced the TRUE image of Naomi (who is half African and half East Asian) with that of a blond Caucasian girl which was meant to INVOKE as well as PLAY ON certain racist stereotypes.

If they'd just put out the grotesque picture of Serena by herself having a fit, the agrument could have been made that it was NOT racist.
But when it's wedded to the picture of petite white girl who appears to be confused and innocent while someone telling her to LET Serena win....it was clearly meant to invoke feelings of resentment harbored in the hearts of many Caucasians who feel that Africans are too priviledged already.

• Like 2

The coach of Serena Williams broke the rules by hand-signaling to her from his seat in the stands.  This  triggered an escalating argument between her and the judge which ended with her being penalized a game after throwing a tantrum, and destroying her racquet. Just recently during a game, a female tennis player took off her top because it was on backwards and she wanted to straighten it out.  She was reprimanded for this although male tennis players take off their shirts all the time. Coaches routinely communicate with their players from the stands in violation of the rules.  Male tennis players get away with what Serena was drastically penalized for.  Dating back to the era of Jimmy Connors and john McEnroe on up to the present male players rant at judges and violently react to disputed calls without stiff penalties.  The take-away from this for me is that Serena was a victim of sexism, the same consensus among most of her white female colleagues.  The cartoon was a caricature, - a depiction of what actually happened. In real life, the slender Naomi's pony tail actually was blond, and in the cartoon her skin tone is slightly shaded, a darker hue than that of the umpire.  We see what we want to see.  

Lately, Serena seems more interested in championing motherhood, constantly making reference to her guilt about being away from her baby, appointing herself as a representative for all the women who encounter problems when returning to work after childbirth, - all in an effort to prove that she's still got it.  

Serena is rich and famous, a multi-millionaire and the best female tennis player in the world with trophies and plaques to prove this. She  has enjoyed a long and legendary reign, amassing a record number of grand slam wins. But a new day is on the horizon.  She should retire gracefully and go out on top, imo.    

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 11:57 AM, Troy said:

I doubt Serena's reaction was just about that specific penalty, but a culmination of a entire career of unfair treatment (perceived or otherwise).  When people fly off the handle that way it usually is not about that specific event, but more like the straw that broke the camel's back. 

@Troy Yes, this may be the underlying reason. 

On 9/12/2018 at 3:20 PM, Mel Hopkins said:

Here's a perfect example of what I was referring to earlier. This comment was in response to my answer about a low point in my flight attendant career. As far as society is concerned, black women aren't allowed to display human frailties.   This is what Serena has been dealing with her whole career but on a global scale.  It is actually more than frustrating; it's infuriating.  But as the Angel Maya Angelou wrote "Still [we] rise".  

@Mel Hopkins Whew! You know there are so many times I have witnessed scenes where in the case of a customer complaining about an employee that the management will support their own employee, but not when it comes to a Black woman. And the insensitive comment of the quote you put, shows how pampered Europeans can be and how supremacist they are in their viewpoint, when it comes to Black women.  

On 9/12/2018 at 3:54 PM, Troy said:

think I would put black male ahead of white female.

Black men got the right to vote first.  Black man handily defeated a white woman for the democratic nomination for president.

@Troy I don't know..... I don't think you would see White women lynched...and so even though Black men have a jump ahead of women across the board for some things, however, not for all things, even with the right to vote.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Cynique said:

Kanye talked about slavery being a choice and he was wrong because black people were physically and mentally shackled.  But for the millions of slovenly, indigent white folks, subsisting on government handouts is a choice.  No matter how bad their schools, they are still better-funded and operated than black ones. 

@Cynique Thank you!

23 hours ago, Cynique said:

mentally shackled

That is a good point @Cynique. Mental shackles are often FAR more effective than the physical ones.  With that in mind, maybe you can generate a little more understanding for your fellow man.  Being from Chicago, and having to constantly hear about all the Black on Black shootings, surely you don't believe our treatment in the country is not partially to blame.

3 hours ago, Cynique said:

Naomi's pony tail actually was blond,

WHAT?! I completely missed that fact that Oska had a blond ponytail!  (What is it with Black women and blond hair)  At any rate, I'm compelled to go back to my original sentiment since the cartoon is actually a more accurate depiction of Naomi than I thought.   Perception is everything. "We see what we want to see." Deep!

I'm actually liking the cartoon more now as it is so revealing...

naomi-osaka-blond-ponttail.jpg

• Like 1

x@Troy if you drove an expensive car into Alabama found the lowest class white person and insulted them, would your class protect you? Class like race is a construct unlike countries that have royalty. Its all about divide and conquer. No amount of money will white wash dark complexion. If yiu5 believe that to be true then we had  better put you on the endangered species list. 

Wealth can bend justice but not if you're black. 

Look at how Michelle Obama was treated versus Melania Trump. 

I had a look at different Mark Knight cartoon. He doesn't seem to draw blacks realistically. 

Also the comment can you just let her isn't ralky about Serena's perception of unfairness. There was an invudent about 10 years ago when Harry Connickj was judging Hey Hey Saturday. When a group cane out doing yhe Jackson 5 in black face. Some Australians didn't se a problem. Even though Connick said this would be a big problem in the US

On 9/14/2018 at 3:21 PM, Troy said:

That is a good point @Cynique. Mental shackles are often FAR more effective than the physical ones.  With that in mind, maybe you can generate a little more understanding for your fellow man.  Being from Chicago, and having to constantly hear about all the Black on Black shootings, surely you don't believe our treatment in the country is not partially to blame.

I don't understand the point you are trying to make.  On this thread the only example of me not being understanding of my fellow man is my reference to white bigots who benefit from the same racism that victimizes black people.  As for the situation in Chicago, a black newspaper columnist recently made the point that too many black people hurl accusations of "victim shaming" when outsiders like Chicago's mayor, Rahm Emanual, suggest that poor home training and lack of character building is at the core of the black-on-black crime.  She believes, and i agree from experience that, in private, black people think this, too. But they just don't want to give white people material to use against us. The almost nightly TV interviews when survivors of shooting victims frequently pose the question, "where are the parents of these kids"? Bad schools?  Unemployment?  Schools cannot educate unmotivated children. Even so, for drop-outs, jobs are plentiful now. But the streets maintain their lure for kids who have no parental guidance.  

Furthermore, there's not a lot of publicity given to  the positive things that young black people are involved in in Chicago.  Not all of the inner city kids are gang bangers who are shooting and killing each other.  So, apparently,  some of them are being raised right, not to mention the middle class blacks whose kids don't go to public schools, but do go to college, subsequently pursuing careers and going into professions, finding ways to function in the mainstream.  When it comes to my fellow man, i give credit where credit is due.  And i have had ample occasion to do this during a life time of observing my race. 

You harp on my having no concern about my progeny.  First of all, as a child of The Depression who grew up during World War II in a racially biased country, the generation who  came before me and my contemporaries didn't and couldn't do a lot for our future.  My generation did the best we could by mounting a Civil Rights movement passing on the progress we made to our progeny which was the Baby Boomer Generation.  Baby Boomers  and Gen Xers are who are responsible for the "Me" and "Millennial" generations, who are so self absorbed, so steeped in their sense of entitlement, too hooked on iPhones, and social media and computer games  to do for themselves. So don't lecture me about something over which i have no control.  You fix it.  I'm settling back into my role of spectator.  

2 hours ago, Cynique said:

Rahm Emanual, suggest that poor home training and lack of character building is at the core of the black-on-black crime.  She believes, and i agree from experience that, in private, black people think this, too. But they just don't want to give white people material to use against us.

As if white people need additional material to use against us...

At the risk of lecturing, mansplaining, or whatever you wanna call my expression of ideas, I think the crime in chicago is a combination of a wide variety of things.  Obviously people who go around shooting others were not raised properly -- that goes without saying.  But we are talking about a cycle of familia dysfunction that was caused and is perpetuated by living in a hostile environment.

Maybe your generation, "the greatest generation," was indeed better that ours.  But I'm not sure how well y'all would have fared in this handheld-device-carrying, social-media-controlled world we live in today:  You had MLK we have Al Sharpton.  Y'all have Malcolm X, we have Barack Obama.  Y'all had newspapers, we have Twitter.  Y'all had bookstores we have Amazon.Y'all had JKF, we have 45

I dunno many of us are doing the best we can too, but it is a different world today.  The mental shackles are backed the most powerful computer system invented with machine learning. No one is immune...

@DelanoWho is better off in America a wealthy, educated, Black man; or a poor, uneducated white man?  Which one would you rather be?

8 hours ago, Troy said:

At the risk of lecturing, mansplaining, or whatever you wanna call my expression of ideas, I think the crime in chicago is a combination of a wide variety of things.  Obviously people who go around shooting others were not raised properly -- that goes without saying.  But we are talking about a cycle of familia dysfunction that was caused and is perpetuated by living in a hostile environment.

Maybe your generation, "the greatest generation," was indeed better that ours.  But I'm not sure how well y'all would have fared in this handheld-device-carrying, social-media-controlled world we live in today:  You had MLK we have Al Sharpton.  Y'all have Malcolm X, we have Barack Obama.  Y'all had newspapers, we have Twitter.  Y'all had bookstores we have Amazon.Y'all had JKF, we have 45

But all people raised in a hostile environment don't go out and kill each other.  Some do, some don't; that's where the stable family environment figures in the equation.

And i didn't say my generation was better than yours!  All i'm saying is that it is your generation's responsibility to make things safer for your progeny, not mine,  something you don't seem to consider when you get  disappointed about me just watching the world go by instead of worrying about the future.  .   

8 hours ago, Troy said:

I dunno many of us are doing the best we can too, but it is a different world today.  The mental shackles are backed the most powerful computer system invented with machine learning. No one is immune...

That's why I've adopted the attitude i have.  

@Cynique I did not say you said your generation was better I wrote that.  I not sure how that got twisted. 

Cynique this is not about you or I as individuals; this is about us, and our respective generations collectively.  In terms of making things safer, I think it is everyone's responsibility.  It is everyone responsibility simply because we all suffer the consequences or benefit as a result.  We all have, or should have, our respective roles. 

I grew up in a culture that had more respect for elders.  The current culture seems to have much less respect for older people. I think the culture is less well off as a result.  It is as if the attitude is if you did not grow up using social media -- what could you possibly know?  While people with that attitude can't see how social controls them.  Maybe there would be less violence if we paid attention to people with the sense (and good fortune) to have lived more than a few minutes. 

Of course it is true that not everyone who grew up in a hostile environment runs around shooting others.  Indeed most people don't.  The problem is far to many people do -- certainly far more that would be the case under more favorable conditions.

I agree a more stable family would absolutely help, but then we are back to confronted with the conditions that resulted in unable families.

@Delano I was supposed to interpret that as an answer to my question?  So does that mean you would rather be a poor white man than a wealthy Black man?  

@Delano, so is that is your reasoning for preferring to be a poor white man?!

Besides, on it face, your statement (below) is absurd.  I just now checked: according to the Center for Disease Control, Heart Disease is the leading cause of Death for Black men -- Homicide does not even come close. 

Still wanna be a poor white man?

7 minutes ago, Delano said:

Let's see the leading cause of death for bkack males is homicide. 

11 hours ago, Troy said:

Cynique this is not about you or I as individuals; this is about us, and our respective generations collectively.  In terms of making things safer, I think it is everyone's responsibility.  It is everyone responsibility simply because we all suffer the consequences or benefit as a result.  We all have, or should have, our respective roles. 

@Troy I don't care what you or anybody else thinks i have a responsibility to do, or what my role is.   My current approach to life, influenced  by certain philosophical disciplines, personal perceptions and spiritual inclination, is what guides me. So enough with the preaching.  i march to my own drumbeat.   🙄

@Troy I can recognise the advantages of being a white male but still not want to be one. Black people are invisible in history and  the culture. Still i don't want to be a anyone else. However being a colour you have to fight to  even be heard. Up through high school history Black people were only slaves. 

It's difficult discussing topics with you at times because you can be a bit polarised and you have a hard time believing my statements when my position diverges from yours. You have done this with Cynique about her position on politics. You said why doesn't she care. She asked you what are you doing besides being upset. 

@Delano you are a trip.  You make an argument with a grossly inaccurate statement like:

On 9/15/2018 at 8:44 AM, Delano said:

the leading cause of death for bkack males is homicide. 

When I prove the statement was completely false, you then turn around and say something like this: 

18 hours ago, Delano said:

you have a hard time believing my statements when my position diverges from yours.

So no Del when you make statement that are demonstrably wrong, I will not agree with them just to keep from being "bit polarised."

Del, I read most of the articles you post and I do my best to understand and respond to your statements on this forum.  This is a demonstrable fact.  Now you may not like or agree with everything that I write in reaction to you, but this is perfectly normal and expected because we are human.

Now you try to drag @Cynique into our conversation as if any disagreement I've had with her is the same as disagreements you, and therefore proof of some deficiency in me.  The flaw in your reasoning is that every argument is different. For example, Cynique does not quote flawed stats. So when I disagree with her the reasons are different, and as you have observed I have no problem changing my position with new information, or seeing something from a different perspective.

@Delano Yes, your statement was completely wrong!

Why don't you show the entire chart?  Instead you cherry pick a 20 year range representing a minority of deaths.  Rather than simply admitting your error and correcting yourself you dig in and attempt to  justify your claim by taking a narrow band of data despite the fact that the chart shows homicide is less than 5% of all Black deaths.

@Delano we are all wrong from time to time and make misstatements; this is perfectly normal.  Being so stubborn is why you are a climate denier.  The UC Berkeley study may help you understand your reasoning.

@Troy

Firstly it's from the CDC you can check if you dont believe it. 

The leading cause of death for Black Males 16-34 is homicide. 

Its not cherry picking it is called a market segment or target market. I would have thought that would be understandable to you. I overestimated your capacity for  reasoning and comprehension... again. 

No, my friend, you under estimated my knowledge.

Still, even taking your now corrected statement; that is still a poor justification for preferring to be a poor white man than a wealthy Bkack man. 

If you looked at the homicide rates for the Black men in the narrow population you've isolated you'll find the majority of those are poor Black men, not wealthy ones.

Again class trumps race.

White skin can only get you so far. This would be obvious to anyone who left the confines of their middle class enclaves.

@Troyare you going to admit that homicide is leading cause of death for Black males ages 16-34. Or explain how that is totally wrong. 

On 9/17/2018 at 1:48 AM, Troy said:

You make an argument with a grossly inaccurate statement like:

it was imprecise because I didn't mention the age range. Saying it's completely wrong is wrong. Troy you may have multiple degrees but numerical comprehension is not your Forte. 

Chev

Whew! You know there are so many times I have witnessed scenes where in the case of a customer complaining about an employee that the management will support their own employee, but not when it comes to a Black woman. And the insensitive comment of the quote you put, shows how pampered Europeans can be and how supremacist they are in their viewpoint, when it comes to Black women.

History is replete with White women not giving two damns about the mistreatment of women of color.

We can go back to how Lisa Bonet was fired by Bill Cosby for participating in sex scenes in her own movie.

Or to a case in New York that you may remember involving a housekeeping maid from The Carribean who was sexually assaulted in a New York hotel by a rich White man and not only did he get off but none of the women in the media and very few in society came to her defense.

Or how about how Omarosa is currently being treated in the media today.
When Trump called her a dog you would think "metoo" and "times up" would have gotten involved and expressed their outrage, but you could hear crickets from them.

Troy

What is it with Black women and blond hair

Ah careful!
You know how upset Cynique gets at just the thought of a Black man just DARES to criticize or question the mindset of Black women who chose to dye their hair blond, lol.

Maybe your generation, "the greatest generation," was indeed better that ours

I know you put it in quotes, but just to make the point I wouldn't say the Depression Era generation (those born 1920-1944) is the greatest generation, not by a long shot.
Infact the NEXT generation after...the Baby Boomer Generation (those born 1945-1960)....is better in my opinion because they actually got out and demanded changes in society for the better.

But I think that Reconstruction generation (between 1865-1900) was better than BOTH of them and very well may have been the best generation of AfroAmericans right up until now because of the swift and massive progress they were able to make independently.

2 hours ago, Delano said:

@Troyare you going to admit that homicide is leading cause of death for Black males ages 16-34. Or explain how that is totally wrong. 

What?!  Are you high?  The chart clearly shows that, but that is not what you wrote.  You obviously will not admit you were wrong lets move on.

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

You know how upset Cynique gets at just the thought of a Black man just DARES to criticize or question the mindset of Black women who chose to dye their hair blond, lol.

LOL!  Man, all jokes aside I can;t tell you how many Black women I've been seeing with Black hair lately.  But here is the kicker, I'm in a group talking about a festival to take place in an African country and one of the topics a sister from Africa proposed was to deal with skin lightening an European hair.  I did not chime in on that one 🙂

I put the greatest generation in quotes because that is what the generation is called.  I don't know whose generation was greater.  I just know ours is very easily manipulated and the benefits that previous generations enjoyed this generation will never know --- but this generation has been duped into believing have it so good because they have a cell phone with Instagram on it!

3 hours ago, Delano said:

it was imprecise because I didn't mention the age range. Saying it's completely wrong is wrong. Troy you may have multiple degrees but numerical comprehension is not your Forte. 

Talk about cherry picking. Please respond to tbe full quote @Troy

27 minutes ago, Troy said:

What?!  Are you high?  The chart clearly shows that, but that is not what you wrote.  You obviously will not admit you were wrong lets move on.

3 hours ago, Troy said:

If you looked at the homicide rates for the Black men in the narrow population you've isolated you'll find the majority of those are poor Black men, not wealthy ones.

Show me where the data breaks down death by income. 

Or are you high? @Troy