Study Explains Why False Beliefs Stick

This is why some people are so confident in their "facts".

DAVID NIELD
9 SEP 2018

Why is it sometimes so hard to convince someone that the world is indeed a globe, or that climate change is actually caused by human activity, despite the overwhelming evidence?

flat earth

"If you think you know a lot about something, even though you don't, you're less likely to be curious enough to explore the topic further, and will fail to learn how little you know,"

you use a crazy theory to make a correct prediction a couple of times, you can get stuck in that belief and may not be as interested in gathering more information,"

Compare the group behind this site and procon.org and tell me what you think

@Troy

@Delano your reasoning for denying man made climate change is no different that the people who believe the Earth is Flat. 

The website is reporting on a study conducted by the University of California at Berkeley who are attempting to explain the reasons;

"...why flat earthers, birthers, climate change and Holocaust deniers stick to their beliefs in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary?"

Unlike procon.com they are not setting up false equivalencies can comparing conspiracy theories with the science.  Now you can reject the study if you like, but that does not change reality.  The Earth is not flat Del.

People have always believed what they wanted to believe; this is nothing new.

For most people, EMOTION is just as involved in making decisions and guiding one's beliefs as INTELLECT and LOGIC.

If I'm deeply inlove with my wife and facts like text messages, credit card statements, and even VIDEOS are brought to me to prove that my wife is cheating on me....depending on how deep my emotions are I may REJECT all of those facts and maintain my belief that she is faithful.

This is human nature that only a few can rise above.

@Pioneer1, yes this is human nature and is what the study is trying to understand.  The takeaway is that we can't be afraid to revise your our beliefs.  

Yeah once emotions are involved anything is possible. Some people think changing their beliefs -- despite new, better, or more information, is a sign of weakness. Others just don't have the energy to learn a new tricks and are content with the world view they currently have -- no matter how false it is.  They embrace supporting information and reject contradictory information no matter how overwhelming it may be and the result is climate deniers, 45 supporters, flat earthers, and @Delano 😛

Let me just correct an often quoted phrase it isn't that 97% of scientist believe in global warming it's 97% of climate scientist. 

Think about this statement climate change is an incontrovertible fact. When have yiu ever heard scientist say anything close to that statement? You haven't because no rational scientist would ever say such a thing. 

Btw remember ut used to be called Global Warming, they changed it because some places got colder. In about 7 years I reckon you will hear dissenting voices 

Yeah, the fact that weather in some locations have been colder in recent years is used by climate deniers to "prove" that global warming is not occuring, or if it is, it is not man made. 

The reality is weather in any location is not the synonymous as planetary climate change. Because they can't make the distinction they believe a spreadsheet with the temperature in Central Park for the last 100 years are sufficient evidence to deny climate change.

As far as 97% of scientist (or all scientist) I don't know the number.  What is the percentage of just climate scientists @Delano, 99.99%?

yes this is human nature and is what the study is trying to understand. The takeaway is that we can't be afraid to revise your our beliefs

I don't think fear is the biggest obstacle that prevents people from changing their beliefs; the lack of VALID REASONS are.

When I say "valid" I don't mean truthful or properly argued reasoning, although that can qualify as valid; but valid meaning "effective".

Any new informaton being presented....whether true or false....must be effective enough or atleast presented effectively enough to get a person to reconsider their old beliefs and adopt new ones and USUALLY that effectiveness involves convincing the person how accepting this new information will benefit them OR confirm other beliefs they may hold more strongly.

For example......

Going up to a fundamentalist Christian and trying to convince them that global warming is a fact using scientific journals and periodicals may not sway them, BUT you can convince them that the world is getting hotter because the Bible predicted it by saying the world will be consumed by fire.
 They won't believe it because of scientific research, but they will believe it if they feel it confirms their long held prophecies.