Another White Woman Confronting a Black Man Entering His Luxury Apartment-- Racial Profiling

This is another recent incident! This woman, Hilary Thorton, was filmed by the African American young man that she confronted, and his video went viral. Ms. Thorton confronted him at the entrance of the luxury apartment in St. Louis and demanded that he show her proof that he lived their and she tried to block him from going through the door. 

What is it with these women that are so confident they can just confront a male!? A Black man!? But get this; She was married to a Black man! But she had been separated from her husband and he did respond. He said that they had been separated over a year. Anyway, Ms. Thorton, followed this young man after he got passed her, she called the police on him, and went into the elevator with him! She followed him to his door and saw that he did have his key as he opened his door. She stocked him! 

Here's the thing: Did anyone ever do that to her when she came to the apartment building? Because of her actions, it was reported that she was fired from her job, and get this; She worked at another apartment community as an administrator! 

blob:https://www.nbcnews.com/b3d87328-ed19-425c-94cd-2f810088523c

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/woman-viral-st-louis-apartment-building-video-says-she-was-n921306

Seems like another situation blown out of proportion by social media. The lady did not know the man and had no obligation to let him into the building. 

It never would have occurred to me to whip out my cell phone record the interaction and put it online.  I would have simply let the woman close the door and entered with my own key fob. Simple.

People who live in these types of buildings know this.  Besides, "Luxury" apartment buildings have doormen to handle these situations.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Troy said:

The lady did not know the man and had no obligation to let him into the building. 

@Troy Yes, perhaps. So I am assuming that he wanted to piggy back on her and not use his key fob. This may be the case. 

I didn't get that part. 

At any rate, he was very nice and polite. 

And, guess what? Here is another story! GAS STATION GAIL!

What you do think about this one?

Do you think that the Blacks were wrong for filiming this White woman?

@Chevdove "Polite" people do not film personal interactions and put them on social media.  While this is legal, I think it is rude and an invasion of one's privacy.  

As far as the last video, the brother seemed to be filming a protest and appears to have caught a woman lying to police about the nature of the protest.  I don't have a problem with this one -- based upon what I see here.  

It is interesting that all of the videos have been turned into "news" stories and have been reported on network TV. Seems to be lazy journalism, if you ask me, and not very elucidating.  Is this what broadcast news looks like now?  I stopped watching this type of news before the rise of the internet, it looks like it has continued to go downhill...

I see why so many people get their news from social media;  why watch it on TV when you get get the same information on twitter, and probably with better insight.

@TroyThis is 2018.  Are you still using your 8-track or have you "upgraded" to CDs.  The world has changed and people utilize what  enables them to justify their grievances; especially black victims because they are the ones most likely to not be  believed.  These white bigots need to be put in check.  The woman who refused to allow the man to enter his condo was fired by her employer after this video went viral.  That's sending a message to these white folk trying to get black folks in trouble,-  just because they are black!  And this is news.

• Thanks 1

@Cynique LOL. Thank you!

@Troy What if that young man in St. Louis didn't have a way of filming this? It could have been a terrible outcome for him. I understand what you say about 

piggy backing and she could have just responded to him that she was not going to allow him to piggy back on her and then, simply close the door! 

Then if he did something to her, she would be in her right to call the police. But she was bold enough to pursue him like that! 

And, he was so polite, even when he went into his apartment. He wished her good bidding. 

I also just heard that some African AMerican voters were told to get off the bus due to supposedly 'voter intimidation', but I didn't really look close at this news bit.

You know, as an African American woman, I just do not feel that bold enough to confront a White man, even if they were trying to piggy back on my access card or etc. and, this has happened to me many times, as I worked at a company that you had to use a card and plug in your ID to get through the door! And, this happened many times too, going into and out of a senior bldg, in that people would not follow the bldg instructions. Some times, I guess, we need to pick battles, but that is not one that i would have done, as Hilary did. I would have chose another option.

@Cynique are you seriously saying that women deserved to lose her job over not allowing that man to enter her building?!   

I doubt you've lived in a building like this, don't have a frame of reference to base your opinion, and are relying on the reactionary uninformed opinions of the social media mob. If this is what you mean by "upgrading," I'll happily remain in the dark ages.

Of course that situation would have been handled completely differently were two "adults" involved. Instead you had two people behaving like babies; a grown man running to social media like a pu--y and a woman acting like she owned the damn building.  Meanwhile, the network news feeds into this stupidity by broadcasting as it was newsworthy.  Again, two reasonable adults would have easily dealt with the situation and we could be talking about something more substantive.

Seriously, Cynique and Chevdove, think for a moment; do either of you truly believe the altercation between this man and the would warranted national attention; that somehow your knowledge of this engagement makes you more knowledgeable, informed... better off? 

This is not an example of racism; this is an example of stupidity and a reflection of the fact that our news media now trolls social media for things to cover -- this is rather pathetic if you ask me and not a reflection of progress.

@Chevdove I already said I had not real issue with the man filming the woman calling the police based upon what I saw -- at least not enough to discuss it.  I would however stop short of jumping to the conclusion that it would have been a "terrible outcome for him." 

I also don't like the idea of lump all of these incidents into the same bucket as if they were all related and evidence of the same thing. Again, I understand social media does not handle nuisance or complexity very well. 

As far a Black women stepping to white men.  Come to NYC you'll find no shortage of sistas willing to do this -- trust.  I see it all the time.

42 minutes ago, Troy said:

Seriously, Cynique and Chevdove, think for a moment; do either of you truly believe the altercation between this man and the would warranted national attention;

@Troy I checked. He showed his key fob! He had it! She was blocking him in the doorway!. She wanted him to give her information that he, in no way, should have done. She is lying, saying that her dog had to use the bathroom--Not in that doorway! All she had to do was move out of the way, and if she wanted to call the police, then she could have, but she RACIALLY PROFILED HIM and stood in the doorway. He would hve been able to use his key fob if she had not done that. So yes, absolutely, this deserves national attention.

As for the Black women in NYC that would Racially Profile White men, please give me an example, because I find that hard to believe.

• Like 1

@Chevdove yes the woman handled the situation poorly.  You believe this deserved national attention.  I don't.

Do you also believe she should have lost her her job as a result?

If every perceived instance of so called racial profiling made national news we would not have time to report on anything else.  I've been racially profiled more times than I can count and you know so what -- no only really cares -- nor should they.  People are getting locked for petty bullshit and murdered.  People are homeless and don't have clean drinking water.  They deserve some attention...

So some women stopped this dude from entering coming in behind her -- big deal.  Let her close the door and use his key -- end of story.  The little baby posted the video on social media and now we are supposed to react as if he was lynched -- come on!  Surely there are better things to worry about.. right?

If nike makes a commercial with this dude in it I will puke -- swear to God.

Visit NYC and ride the subway you'll see Black women curse white guys out all the time, for a wide variety of personal slights both real and perceived.  In fact I just ran a search on "Black women cursing out white men" and the first thing that came up was a sista going off on a guy on the NYC subway: https://nypost.com/2018/05/28/black-woman-goes-on-angry-rant-against-jewish-man-on-subway/

Again this is not unusual; I've been this many times, so the idea that someone posted it on twitter is no at all surprising. The local paper copied this up on Twitter and "reported" on it on the website.  Again this is a poor use of journalistic resources -- welcome to 2018... modern journalism.

Chevdove should this be national news too?  Should this Black woman lose her job too?

17 minutes ago, Troy said:

Chevdove should this be national news too?  Should this Black woman lose her job too?

@Troy I am very familiar with the Bi-racial woman that went off on that White Jewish man, and that is NOT Racial Profiling, she was responding to his statment. She was angry at the other Black people, from what I remember, because no one got up and gave up a seat to a Black woman, and I think she had a child or something. Then the White man responded and she tore at him. So, she was defending that issue about a Black woman not being provided with a seat on a busy subway. But, I do not agree with her doing that, however. I agree that it would have been curtesy for someone to offer the mother a seat, but not necessary for her to go off on the Black people like that. 

24 minutes ago, Troy said:

If nike makes a commercial with this dude in it I will puke -- swear to God.

LOL! Me too. 

24 minutes ago, Troy said:

Do you also believe she should have lost her her job as a result?

Well the management might have fired her because of avoiding a backlash from people at the home community that she was an administrator due to her racist attitude towards that man. She was clearly wrong and I think if he pressed charges, she may be found guilty for stocking him at the very least. I did realize too, that he did have a key fob that he did use. He clearly said tht he had buzzed himself in but she blocked him from moving past her as she stood in the doorway and demanded that he tell her his loft apartment number.

27 minutes ago, Troy said:

If every perceived instance of so called racial profiling made national news we would not have time to report on anything else.

That is so important though to report and just as important as help the homeless and jobless. Racial Profiling, in my opinion, has crippled our government for so long. 

@Troy I am especially so so so grateful for progressive African Americans like you that have provided a 'social media board' that offers a forum to have 'a voice, no matter how small' because for so long, I don't feel that Black Americans had a way of voicing our experiences with this government. We can't get into court or anything to a significant degree because we were given a platform or access, but this new age technology has given us a process. And guess what, here is a short video that speaks to this issue:

33 minutes ago, Troy said:

So some women stopped this dude from entering coming in behind her -- big deal.

LOL, @Troy It is a big deal, sort of like your posting 'the doll test'. this kind of incident has destroyed so many lives. It's like taking a cross section, and by making it public information, it gives people a chance to use this as a hopeful message that shows people, times may improve as our government is being pressured to get this sort of thing in the court and put the shoe on the other foot against racist people who do this and ruin people's lives. But as you said too, this is not only an issue that White racist do, or White Women who want to have their way, but Black people are good for doing this to each other! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Troy said:

Seriously, Cynique and Chevdove, think for a moment; do either of you truly believe the altercation between this man and the would warranted national attention; that somehow your knowledge of this engagement makes you more knowledgeable, informed... better off? 

This is not an example of racism; this is an example of stupidity and a reflection of the fact that our news media now trolls social media for things to cover -- this is rather pathetic if you ask me and not a reflection of progress.

Well, obviously we see things differently.   i think it was racial profiling because i don't believe the alarms would've gone off in the woman's head, had  the man trying to enter the building been white. You act as though the black guy set her up so he could entrap her.   All of these incidents are symptomatic of a larger problem, the age-old problem of black skin being a catalyst for racist white people, and currently they are coming out of the walls like roaches because Donald Trump has made their bias permissible. That's the whole point. Yet, you consider these things to be  trivial incidents that should just be shrugged off as immature behavior.  You sound like those who think blacks should not rock the boat and just go along to get along.  But Trump has also emboldened black folks and motivated them  to call these people out and expose them for these petty prejudices  that are gaining momentum and polluting the polarized atmosphere in America. 

Your attitude harks back to your agreement with those who thought Donald Trump voters were economically-deprived underclass white people who felt threatened and neglected and needed to be reached out to, rather than condemned.  A recent survey, however,  showed this was not the case, that those who voted for him were average income white people from all walks of life who had one thing in common which was that they all hated Obama and wanted  someone who was just the opposite of him for president.  These findings are significant when it comes to the question of racism. Maybe everything isn't grounded in it, but the trend is moving  back in that direction thanks to Trump's "make America great again" mantra. This battle cry seems to be resonating with more and more of the white population.   As far as the woman being fired over the condo incident,  she is also a victim of racism; her own.   

The Media is in competition with the Internet.  They both run stories of interest.  Everybody isn't on Twitter or FaceBook and they get their news from TV and newspapers.  i don't agree that these "phone-in" incidents are given priority over other more important events. They are "human interest" stories. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Chevdove said:

It is a big deal, sort of like your posting 'the doll test'. this kind of incident has destroyed so many lives.

@Chevdove this is hyperbolic, no one's "life was destroyed."  The Brother will be fine, and I'm sure he is basking in his 5 seconds of fame.  Still, it is not clear from your response whether you believe this woman should have lost her job.

14 hours ago, Chevdove said:

As for the Black women in NYC that would Racially Profile White men, please give me an example, because I find that hard to believe.

Chevdove I told you I've seen many Black women go off on white men on the subway. You did not take me at my word and told me you found it "hard to believe".  I easily find an example and you tell me you were already familiar with it?!  I'm confused... are you saying the Black people don't profile white people?

Chevdove I'll let you in on a secret; we all profile people. We observe people and we prejudge them based upon cultural stereotypes and personal experiences.  This is natural and perhaps necessary for survival. I'm not saying we are always correctly assess people when we do this but again we all do it.  This does not give us license to shoot a someone driving down the street.guy driving down the street (incidentally putting this in the same category with a guy being challenged when entering a building is a bit extreme don't you think?)

@Cynique I seem to recall the woman was married to a Black guy.  It seems to me someone who is actually married to a Black man would be a bit more sensitive to the issues we face.  Still I'm not saying the women did not racially profiles the man -- neither one of us can know whether she did or not (she denies it).  What we do know is that the situation escalated unnecessarily.

11 hours ago, Cynique said:

You sound like those who think blacks should not rock the boat and just go along to get along. 

Are you kidding me?! I've spend the better part of my adult life trying to "rock the boat."  

As far as the survey you are citing I'd have to see it.  I suspect you are drawing conclusions it did not make.  Please share a link.  The fact of the matter is there are white people who voted for Obama twice and then voted for 45.  At least 10% of Black people voted for 45 a well.  Racism does not explain the behavior of these voter.  Were there racist that voted for Trump ? Of course! Racists vote in every election for both republicans and democrats. 

Look, I'm not saying racism doesn't exist.  One of the reasons I run this site is in direct reaction to racism.  I'd also argue one of the reason this site has a harder way to go than a comparable white site is also because of racism.  

So we will continue to disagree on the relevance of this situation.  I've seen way too much that is far more significant to make a federal case over some dude being prevented from enter a building without using his key.

7 hours ago, Troy said:

As far as the survey you are citing I'd have to see it.  I suspect you are drawing conclusions it did not make.  Please share a link.  The fact of the matter is there are white people who voted for Obama twice and then voted for 45.  At least 10% of Black people voted for 45 a well.  Racism does not explain the behavior of these voter.  Were there racist that voted for Trump ? Of course! Racists vote in every election for both republicans and democrat

I tried to post the article on this subject a couple of days ago, but couldn't do it.  The conclusion it drew was that it was a misconception that poor disenfranchised whites specifically played a big role in electing Trump. They're who Hillary Clinton was criticized for not reaching out to during her campaign. i don't believe any obvious racist votes Democratic.  The Republican Party is the official political home for those who resent other ethnics. 

I think the black individuals who voted for Trump are those who  didn't want to be taken for granted by the Democrats, or who were disgruntled Bernie supporters. And in all probability the type who were willing  to give America the benefit of the doubt because they were co-existing with racism and doing well for themselves.      

What i find  noteworthy is the large number of whites who recognize the danger of a leader like Trump and see the handwriting on the wall if he is allowed to stay in office.  But they are being counteracted by  those gradually drifting over to Trump's camp because they are finding points of agreement with him.  America now has a split personality and is going crazy.    

@Cynique I believe America has always been crazy, the the election of 45 just made it as obvious as ever.  However I don't let mainstream and social media off the hook.  They provided a tremendous, free, platform for donald trump to reach the masses. Starting with the "reality TV show that created the fiction of Trump being a great business leader, which many people continue to believe.

Keep in mind, while there are certainly racist, disgruntled, and all the other groups of people you describe who voted for Trump, you are neglecting the people who voted for him because the buy into his narrative -- completely, and without reservation AND who are not racist.  These people may live in a pro trump bubble. Where all they hear is how great the country is doing; we have more jobs that there are people available to do them; the stock markets are at an all time high; and 45 is responsible.  

You better hope the Mueller investigation takes 45 down because he'll likely survive for a 2nd term.  That "woman of color", Warren, has zero chance. 45 picks these prospective candidates off the fish in a barrel.  He is actually quite good at playing the media in this regard.

While the country is crazy I don't think the people are inherently crazy.  I think living here, under the 24/7 influence of marketers and young white men who now run the media, is making us crazy. 

I know most people like to diminish the impact of the media, perhaps because they feel unaffected by it, but the evidence is pretty clear. Our making 45 the president should be evidence enough... 

We call 45 crazy, but we really need to look in the mirror.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Troy said:

this is hyperbolic, no one's "life was destroyed." 

@Troy I was speaking in terms of this issue going beyond what happened to this young man and in terms of what could have happened had he not had a camera. That is why 'Racial Profiling' should be a legal issue. If he did not have a camera, and she called the police, he probably would have been in a lot of trouble. If that were a Black man blocking a White woman, and telling her tht she had to tell him what apt. number she lived in and followed her to her door, and called the police on her for expecting a Black man to let her in the secured bldg., then what do you think the police would have done to tht Black man!?

Do you think he would have been fired from his job?

21 hours ago, Troy said:

The Brother will be fine, and I'm sure he is basking in his 5 seconds of fame

No necessarily. Many times the victim is further badgered. I remember back in the 60s women who were victims of rape were badgered if they wnet forward to report it. 

21 hours ago, Troy said:

Still, it is not clear from your response whether you believe this woman should have lost her job.

I don't know how to answer this question objectively due to the experiences that I have endured with being one of many AFrican Americans fired from a past job, and witnessing how others are hired even if they don't have the job requirements. I was at this company for seven years and they fired about 14 Black woman and a number of Black men who were highly skilled and trained new incoming employees, but no White person was ever fired. 

21 hours ago, Troy said:

I easily find an example

Tht is not a case of Racial Profiling. That bi-racial woman went off at Black people and that white man called her "RACIST"!!! He called her racist even though he was probably the only White person in that subway car! Troy, that is not racial profiling, that was him attacking her! She turned from commenting against the Black people for not offering a seat to the Black mother, to defending herself agains the busy body White man that took the opportunity to striker her down! Now, I don't agree with her attacking the Black people like that, but that White man was 'passive aggresive' and he spitefully opened his mouth to mock her. IF that were a White woman doing that, saying that to Black people, I would be surprised if that White Jew would have called a White woman out. And even if he did, that would still not be a case of Racial Profling.  

21 hours ago, Troy said:

incidentally putting this in the same category with a guy being challenged when entering a building is a bit extreme don't you think?)

@Troy When White women accuse Black men of 'breaking the law' or 'not following rules' like what happened to the young man, Emmit Till, there lives are completely destroyed. Therefore, 'Racial Profiling' should be defined legally because this seems to be a prevalent issue. If this young man did not have a camera, this woman was bold even though it was in the early morning darkness, and I don't think he would have come out ahead if he did not film her. Troy, she called the police on him!? That is extreme.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Troy said:

It seems to me someone who is actually married to a Black man would be a bit more sensitive to the issues we face. 

@Troy She had been separated from her husband for over a year! She was bitter and may have lashed out at this Black man based on this very reason! It was none of her business what he was doing, she should have moved out the the way, and then if he did piggy back on her, she could have notified someone. What woman in her right mind would confront a man that early in the morning! that was just crazy  to me.

23 hours ago, Troy said:

Keep in mind, while there are certainly racist, disgruntled, and all the other groups of people you describe who voted for Trump, you are neglecting the people who voted for him because the buy into his narrative -- completely, and without reservation AND who are not racist.  These people may live in a pro trump bubble. Where all they hear is how great the country is doing; we have more jobs that there are people available to do them; the stock markets are at an all time high; and 45 is responsible.  

@Troy You don't give the media any slack, constantly badmouthing it, but you bend over backwards to give Trump voters a pass.  You say they were captivated by Trump's narrative.  And what was the campaign narrative that got Trump elected? There was nothing uplifting  or commendable about anything he said. It was all about bullying and mocking and lying and bragging, all with racist, misogynistic undertones.  Those voters  you claim are not racist didn't know ahead of time how the economy and employment and the stock market would improve, the things you said were why they voted for Trump, as if these voters were in such dire straits.  Trump's across-the-board  appeal had to do with him being typical of millions Americans who are the anti-thesis of political correctness, - arrogant, fascistic, bigoted, religious hypocrites. They are his base, Republican conservatives who ALL represent various degrees of racism, running the gamut from benign to malignant. 

Yes, social media  has done as much harm as good. As for the communication media, hyperbole is the price you pay for a free press. The alternative is just as bad. Finally, i obviously have no tolerance for anyone who supports Trump,  especially a black person.  Or do i don't pretend to be objective about any of this. I am very unpatriotic and full of contempt when it comes to America not being what it brags about being, as evidenced by its unsavory history. I think it has failed at being a paragon of democracy.  America's biggest problem? Americans. And the worst of them have the most power.

I'm done.  

• Like 2

On 10/20/2018 at 3:10 PM, Cynique said:

You don't give the media any slack

No, I don't give the the media any slack because they know better but are seemingly only concerned with profit.  

People on the other had are victims of the media. We depend upon an unbiased media to do the work we can not possibly perform ourselves. 

For example, there are people who don't believe that man made climate change is real, I don't blame them; I blame our media.  I listened to that women (Candice something or other) in the video with seth rogan, say she did a "deep dive" into the subject and came away completely doubting climate change -- very possible because there is plenty of information out there -- This is assuming she was being completely honest (which is suspect if you ask me).

Similarly, when people embrace 45 as a great businessman and effective president I don't blame them because there is plenty of media outlet pushing this narrative.  It does not require 'bending over backwards," all it requires is simple observation and willingness to see something from someone else's perspective.  But this is a point we'll have to disagree on.

@Cynique do you know any 45 supporters, have you spoken to any?  I know a few and have spoken to others none of them stuck me as racist (most were Black). Like politics, religion, and climate change, once people commit to a position it takes something very serious to get them to change.  

@Mel Hopkins, I understand voter suppression is rampant in your Georgia.  Some of the strategies are quite sophisticated. It is the same here in florida. we have a measure on our ballot to give felons who have completed their sentences the right to vote.  Seems like a no brainer, but those opposed feel this gives criminals more rights than their victims. This is just another tactic to suppress the votes of democrats... Your Stacey Abrams election will be quite telling.

I not sure anything as changed as far as people are concerned -- wanting more attention or have they civil right violated.  What has changed however it that people seeking attention have a platform, called social media.

Again, I'd be willing to bet none of the men I know would not have shot a video of the woman and put it on twitter or Facebook.  They would have used their key or shoved her aside.

@Troy I watch the news every night and read a newspaper every day, and all of the things you attribute to them are just a small part of what they include in the news at large.  They cover plenty of other stories about current important matters that pertain to the nation and the world. Since you boycott these venues,  you wouldn't know this.  i have exchanges with Trump supporters on a social media almost every day and one of them is a white old high school classmate of mine. We are friends, but are political opposites.  She is what i would call a benign racist.  The others are  all racists to some degree. Black people are not the only ones they have a problem with. They resent Hispanics and Arabs and Asians. i  am also Facebook friends with 2 black Trump Voters whose infatuation with him stems from their disillusionment with Obama for reasons they are not very good at articulating.   Once again this is something  you can't speak on because you don't frequent social media.  You're too busy making excuses for Trump supporters who you think are harmless white people who have no clue about the effect of their white skin entitlement.   My youngest son likes Trump yet although he is a conservative he benefits from liberalism, something i remind him of and this frustrates him, so we don't discuss the subject anymore.  

Incidents like the brother being blocked at his condo entrance by a white woman who called the police on him probably happen everyday somewhere in America.  YouTube is what enables videos to go viral, but that's OK because you like YouTube since it provides you with videos that appeal to you.  

Information about climate change is also regularly reported on the daily news but you can't force people to be concerned about a vague threat that has no immediate impact on them. Yet you blame this on the media because it's your scapegoat. The media is not perfect, but i'd rather have a broad spectrum of news rather than a narrow one.  Obviously this is something we have to agree to disagree about.     

• Thanks 1

@Cynique, it seems you are viewing my positions as absolute.  You seem to believe, or at least you often suggest, that I don't believe any Trump supporters are racist.  I do believe 45 has racist supporters; the Klan obviously supports 45 and that support appears to be mutual.  I just don't believe they ALL are racist, your son is a perfect example of this.

I've never engaged with a trump supporter on social media, but I have in the real world.  Of course there are profound differences between engagement on Facebook and in real life -- so much so I would never equate the two, because they are so different.

No, the media is not perfect, nothing is perfect.  Again, I try to consume news from a variety of sources.  Social media is simply not part of my mix for the reasons discussed.

While I don't read my social media news feeds or watch network news I'm not a hermit and I'm exposed to these sources, so I can still speak from experience.  

When I'm on Youtube I'm usually looking for a specific video or substantive information about a person or subject.  Substantive information is simply not on facebook or twitter, so I don't spend much time there.  Yesterday, I was interested in learning way to convert a ONIX file for books into a format that I could use to update my database. I looked at videos in XML, JSON, AJAX, JQuery and Javascript.  Youtube, despite your seemingly passive disparagement of it actually has useful information.  Facebook and Twitter do not.  I don't learn anything useful on those platforms. 

Facebook and twitter are consumed passively by most people.  Users scroll through a news feed designed to keep them focused on the platform for the maximum amount of time. The draw is extremely powerful.  I had to remove the applications from my cell phone otherwise I too would be compelled to spend every idle second scrolling or swiping.

I'm at the point now where I view those platforms as not just a waste of time, but actually detrimental.

But I don't look down on people who use these platforms, because they are human. I do a few things I should not do too; it is part of the human condition. Perhaps it is why I'm not so hostile against all 45 supporters -- even the racist ones. 

The American culture is quite good at creating racists.  The media, and social media in particular, has helped a great deal in creating racists... look at who is in the whitehouse.

People see the silly altercation between the Black man and white woman as proof the country is full of racists.  The number of videos showing these things is just fuel to the fire. Racists have their world views reinforced and people previously able to think objectively about something are now polarized.

No, this is can not possibly be a situation of a woman trying to prevent a non-tenant from entering her building -- it must be proof of racism!  No other options can be entertained.

Fifteen years ago no one would have even seen this video, and it would never have risen to the level of national prominence. Home boy would have had to handle the situation like an adult man.  

Again, our society is less well off because of this. 

@Troy I do think all white Trump voters were racists, some more than others, and i don't buy the reason you give for those who you say aren't racists, not being racist. Plus , as i previously reminded, racism  doesn't have to be toward just blacks. or does  one have to be white to be racist toward Hispanics and Arabs or even Asians. Which is the case with my son, who doesn't think Arabs should be allowed to immigrate to this country.   

This nation was founded on racism as evidenced by how the Constitution regarded  slaves to be 3/5 human, and Native Americans to be savages, and Chinese railroad workers to be treated like dirt.   White second-generation  immigrants assimilated into the American culture and became racists., too, when it came to black, brown and yellow people. Racism doesn't have to be of the  "cross-burning" kind; it can be subtle and this is often the most insidious kind.  White supremacy is the glue that holds America together and is what reinforces its power to discriminate against minorities.

""Yellow journalism" dates back to the turn of the 20th century, having been  originated by William Randoph Hearst, a millionaire publishing tycoon.  Have you ever seen the movie "CHICAGO" about how the Roxie Hart murder case was sensationalized back in the 1920s? Scandal is an integral part of the American scene and it is news because it's comparable to "man biting dog".

And the way you try to minimize the condo incident escapes me.  It rubs the noses of white people in the shit that stains the fabric of this country but , you prefer not to appreciate how holding racial profiling up to ridicule forces America to realize how the more things change, the more they become the same.  Yes, this country  is polarized because when all is said and done, race still matters.     I repeat: We have to agree to disagree.  

• Thanks 1

@Cynique  I fail to see why your son not wanting "arabs" immigrating into this country is racist.  Is Arab now a race? Perhaps his reluctiance to have arabs come into the country has more to do with the perceived threat of terrorism or perhaps Islam than what you are calling racism.

We agree on the racist nature of Americans origin.

Yes yellow journalism is nothing new. But surely you're not trying to compare the 24/7 hour per day social media fueled "journalism," from a century ago?

Cynique,  I'm not trying to minimize the situation.  The situation is minimal on its own. Even if we knew for certain that the woman racially profiked that "man," surely you have to admit that there are many more things of significance that occur on a daily  basis.

Now that I know your actual motivation for seeing this story being shared is the opportunity to spite white folks. Because obviously this situation on its own merits does not warrant much attention. Still even rubbing white folks noses in their racism is not worth it in this case. It strikes me as trifling.

11 hours ago, Cynique said:

And the way you try to minimize the condo incident escapes me. 

@Cynique This baffles me too.

BTW I'm amazed at your writing style! 

@Troy Again, I just don't understand how you can pass this incident off as being trifle. Are you deliberately ignoring the fact that this woman CALLED THE POLICE on this Black man, or are you subconsiously ignoring this? Are you willfully ignoring the fact that she said and 'ALLUDED' on national television that this Black man 'SHOVED HER ASIDE'-- something that can be defined in court as 'AN ASSAULT AND BATTERY' or, are you subconsciously ignoring this? I am trying to understand your assessment based on this kind of incident that  has been going on in the past and did ruin lives.

"Again, I'd be willing to bet none of the men I know would not have shot a video of the woman and put it on twitter or Facebook.  They would have used their key or shoved her aside."   **The White woman is alluding Assault and Battery

"Fifteen years ago no one would have even seen this video, and it would never have risen to the level of national prominence. Home boy would have had to handle the situation like an adult man.  **      **She called the police!

"Now that I know your actual motivation for seeing this story being shared is the opportunity to spite white folks. Because obviously this situation on its own merits does not warrant much attention"  **She called the police!

"...I'm not trying to minimize the situation.  The situation is minimal on its own."**   **She called the police!

..."... you have to admit that there are many more things of significance that occur on a daily  basis."**   **yes, even after slavery, this happeded and is happening on a daily basis and ruining peoples lives.

Troy, she called the police! She made sure to make it known that he got past her, and that he assaulted her. You don't think that the police would have arrested him?

Edited by Chevdove
add to content
  • Like 1

I LIVED IN ST. LOUIS FOR MONTHS IN 2017, and I can tell you the atmosphere and racial tension is extreme! I initially did NOT believe my relative prior to moving there in his assessment, but experienced it for myself, and am ashame to say now, that he was right and I believe him only because I was there. He said that when he would go to the park, he was being stocked aggresively. He said that old white people came up behind him as he was sitting near the lake and told him they did NOT want his kind there and 'to go back to Africa'. He told me that when he drove to the park and parked where there was no one nearby, a White woman drove up behind him and stopped and did not leave and ten minutes later, he took a picture of her and sent it to me! 

HIGHWAY K is the parrallel area near to St. Louis, and it is predominantly 'all white' and the parks are visited by mostly 'all white' and a lot of East Indians live there too, but they are also racially profiled, heavily. The church I went to, the pastor even said, repeatedly that this was 'an evil city'. The strip malls look terrible in certain areas in St. Louis, but Hwy K and the other 'white areas' are clean and beautiful. And most of the White people work the fast foods and restaurants, and they seem to make a living doing these kind of 'hand out jobs', you know, like the one that woman had when she felt so confident to screen the Black man at the condo. 

I went to a park nearby hwy k, and was surprised at the atmosphere myself. Although, I had some amazing people mostly White men, be very friendly towards me.  A kind word in the midst of so much hatred, makes my day.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Troy said:

Even if we knew for certain that the woman racially profiked that "man," surely you have to admit that there are many more things of significance that occur on a daily  basis.

@TroyNo, i don't surely admit that there are more significant things that occur on a daily basis!  That's your conclusion; not mine. I think that along with all the other news  this incident was quite significant because it typifies an attitude that dates back over 50 years ago to the civil rights protests, - an attitude that has not gone away and is still alive and well in this country. If offering proof of what a segment of America's white population is capable of is an example of "spite", it is also confirmation of the black grievances that whites would rather not hear about.  Like Kaepernick's taking the knee, it embarrasses them, and deflates the pride they take in a country that falls short of what it purports to be.  To me, that's a small victory. 

My son's aversion to Islamic Middle-easterners (Arabs) is, admittedly, more about xenophobia than racism.  But his sentiment is right in line with Trump's dialogue. (Before Trump came on the political scene, in keeping with my cynicism about religion in general, i rejected Islamic and this included, the Black Muslims,  so you can interpret that any way you wish.) 

You want to bring me around to your side when i have repeatedly suggested that we agree to disagree.  You  are not changing my mind, and i am not changing yours, so that's how it should stand...   

@Chevdove  Your  anecdotes  about St. Louis are very relevant.   Missouri isn't even the deep south but there are places all over this country, where segregation and racial prejudice still exist in pockets throughout the states where blacks are not welcome or are treated with hostility.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chevdove said:

Are you deliberately ignoring the fact that this woman CALLED THE POLICE on this Black man, or are you subconsiously ignoring this?

Actually, I was unaware that the woman called the police.  So what?

Homie obviously made it home, as he recorded that too.  What did the police do when the showed up?  Was he arrested, choked out, what?  What did the police do to cause you so much distress @Chevdove?

7 hours ago, Chevdove said:

I LIVED IN ST. LOUIS FOR MONTHS IN 2017, and I can tell you the atmosphere and racial tension is extreme!

Oh Brother..., something tells me much of this is in your imagination -- particularly given your reaction to the apartment story.  I've been to St Louis a number of times over the years and have never experienced such "tension." 

@Cynique, I'm not trying to get you to change you mind.  I'm trying to understand your reasoning and to express my own.  I'm glad you clarified your son position regarding the "Arab's." This is important because people tend to group all kinds or unrelated situations and behaviors as if they are all connected -- when they are not. 

So while there are people who treat Blacks with open hostility there are many more who do not.  Now for sometime who consumes a daily diet of these types of videos and related alarmist opinions and rhetoric via on social media, I can see where one might think there is a rabid white racist in every corner.

Now I'm not naive I recognize racism is a problem in this country, indeed it is one reason I run this site. But you too are going off the deep end with this stupid apartment building story.  If this is your evidence of a racist American I guess we have come a long way.  There was a time when a surly negro, like my man with a video camera, would be swinging from a tree -- here's to progress ladies 🙂 

@Troy I have acknowledged that not all white people act on their racism.  Liberals and Democrats at least try not to, and are quite cognizant about what Trump is doing to the country.  My quarrel is with all of those who are becoming converts to the Republican right wing conservatives who personify racism.

I haven't really gone off on the deep end with this incident.  it is the topic of this thread so i am  expressing my opinion just as you are, totally oblivious to how you are coming across as being an apologists for white people,  referring  to the black guy who was prevented from entering his condo as being surly, which he wasn't.  He kept his cool.  But you rush to the defense of  the white woman,  justifying her decision to call the police, suggesting that we should be grateful the negro wasn't lynched.  Of course you don't see it this way. You prefer to accuse us of being petty about racial profiling.   Then you dismiss ChevDove's St.Louis experience, overlooking how she admitted that she also met a lot of friendly white people there.  I found what she said relevant because it illustrated how polarized this country is, something else that is being discussed on this thread.   

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cynique said:

But you rush to the defense of  the white woman, 

Oh brother... I'm not defending the white woman for she was stupid too -- and i have already made that clear. But is that the real crux of your problem with my opinion on this subject? Is your hatred of Miss Ann that deep, that my unwillingness to jump on the overt racism band wagon cause for you describing me as coming to her defense ...please.

You are older @Cynique and have a recollection of what real, overt racism actually looks like -- when it was codified into our laws. 

No, those days are over and no amount of hyberbolic handwringing over a dumb altercation will convince me we are back in 1850, or even 1950.

Are Black people (actually poor and working class people of all colors) out the woods yet? Heck no. But we've come a long way and this altercation is the least of our worries.

There are people who are homeless because of racism and all our attention is on these too dimwits. No, I'm sorry, I can't brong myself to care about this particular cry of racism.

3 hours ago, Troy said:

There are people who are homeless because of racism and all our attention is on these too dimwits. No, I'm sorry, I can't brong myself to care about this particular cry of racism.

i don't expect you to care about this "particular cry of racism" although you didn't previously make it clear to me that you think the woman is as  "stupid" as you think the man is.  You seemed more concerned about her losing her job.   Anyhow, at this point, i don't care either how others  feel about this situation.  It's over and done with.

3 hours ago, Troy said:

You are older @Cynique and have a recollection of what real, overt racism actually looks like -- when it was codified into our laws. 

Actually i have never personally encountered overt blatant racism. That's why I always remark about my black experience being different from that of other people's.   And my reaction to the condo incident is influenced by this because, as a perennial spectator, it strikes me that racism is so ongoing  that some people have become  desensitized to it and  just shrug it off.   And of course, other blacks  are accused of blaming everything on it.  Everybody has a different reaction to racism and all are convinced theirs is the best way, - which is certainly the case with you.  😉  

On 10/20/2018 at 9:11 PM, Troy said:

I understand voter suppression is rampant in your Georgia.  Some of the strategies are quite sophisticated.

@Troy Yes, I believe it is to the tune of 1.4 million people purged from the rolls since 2012.  I understand removing voters who haven't voted in two consecutive presidential elections - I remember that being the rule in NY State too. It's the shenanigans of purging folks just because that I find offensive.  BUT what I really find offensive is registered voters not VOTING.  If we vote in every single election we'd know if someone was doing something illegal like stealing our right to vote. We'd know because we exercised that right!

• Like 1

The current government got rid of the minimum corporate tax. Gave a massive tax cut to the wealthy and to fill the gap. is once again raiding Social Security. Which is paid by workers and business. They may be elected by the people but they are working for the corporations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Troy said:

Actually, I was unaware that the woman called the police.  So what?

@Troy LOL--Troy! You can't be serious!? You are giving her a pass for her racist actions against this Black man. 

18 hours ago, Troy said:

What did the police do to cause you so much distress

Come on! LOL. Let's not divert to me for now, because yes, I could share my 'racial profiling' experiences like many people in this world and I have shared a few in this thread. No, my experiences would not be with the police but with the court system. There are positive people even in the court system as well as incredible police officers but, I am not addressing this, however, I am talking about this woman confronting this young man in a country that presently is dealing with a lot of this happening. It is good that nothing happened to this man as she did call the police on him and thankfully, he came out okay. But do you realize that it was perhaps only a few weeks ago that a young Black man was shot and killed by a police  when he was in his own apartment in Texas? 

Do you realize that the immigration and travel/tourism authorities put out a warning about America in that there is a problem with Black Americans being mistreated by police?

18 hours ago, Troy said:

Oh Brother..., something tells me much of this is in your imagination

Oh really? You give this White woman a pass, and tell me I am imagining my experiences when I was in St. Louis? Wow. okay. 

I told you my relative was approached and told to go back to AFrica at a park while he was sitting, fishing, minding his own business, and get this; My

father-in-law is full-blood Native American, and my mother-in-law is BLACKFEET and from that very region where those Natives existed before they were driven out. 

But now, they are going to tell my relative, to go back to Africa? And you think I am imagining? okay.

St Louis was rated the #1 city in America a few years ago for having the most crime, but you never experience any problems while being there? Wow.

10 hours ago, Troy said:

No, those days are over and no amount of hyberbolic handwringing over a dumb altercation will convince me we are back in 1850, or even 1950.

@Troy Oh no! Troy, there was a recent book published by a White man and his book revolves around how today, it is much worse for many Black people due to the CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM that used the Constitution to criminalize Black men. I just heard it for the first time recently in that the Constitution has some type of clause and allows for slavery and punishment by enslavement based on crime and this man writes, that this was the process used against Blacks specifically. Have you heard about this? If I can find that book, I will share. This is new to me, so I am not sure, though.

Edited by Chevdove
correction
  • Like 1

DOUGLAS BLACKMON,

The Author of: Slavery by Another Name

1200px-Douglas_Blackmon.jpg

22746457._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg

13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

The 13th Amendment to the Constitution declared that "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction." Formally abolishing slavery in the United States, the 13th Amendment was passed by the Congress on January 31, 1865, and ratified by the states on December 6, 1865.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/program/bib/ourdocs/13thamendment.html

• Like 1

@Chevdove you are combining all types of unrelated anecdotes, books, and other sources of information to inform this situation to fuel your overreaction.

You told me that the police were called.  I was unaware of this and asked you what they did.  Did they do anything?  Why, or why not?  If they did nothing perhaps they saw as I do that this is just two stupid people who happen to converge in the building of their lobby.

When it comes to books by or about Black people, for obvious reasons, I'm more informed than the average person.  I was aware of the Blackmon's book when it first came out a decade ago.

We are not talking about slavery here.  Even if this woman was the grand wizard of the KKK and she and behaved the exact same way I still would not care about this event to the extent that you do.  Again, there are too many mre serious things bend out of shape over...

@Cynique I have actually have been the victim of overt racism. I can tell you, whipping out a cell phone to record the incident is not the first thing that occurs to you when you feel threatened.  Trust me.

4 hours ago, Troy said:

you are combining all types of unrelated anecdotes, books, and other sources of information to inform this situation to fuel your overreaction.

@Troy I was addressing your previous statement in that you believe 'slavery' and overt racism is a thing of the past. I countered your statement with this recent publication, and now you call it 'over-reacting. You are the one that made that statement. I cannot debate that? 

You said that you did not realize that this woman called the police, and so, can I debate that point, without being attacked as if I am over-reacting?

Troy, for you to selectively NOT here that point, seems alarming to me. For you to think that us Black folk are NOT being subjected to overt racism seems alarming to me. For you to think that the police would have to arrest this man for this situation to be significant, seems alarming to me. 

Not all policemen are negative, thankfully, but the actions of this woman to call the police on an incident that she caused, is why I believe that she was wrong.

But, you couple this man's reaction with her and downplay 'the victim' by staing that he is stupid, is amazing, to me. 

I understand though, that you think this situation is ridiculous, but thankfully, others do not. Thankfully, we have a right to voice our opinion here, in America, without being judged or intimidated. 

@Chevdove, I'm not going to debate the fact that slavery has ended or that things today are better than they have been, in the past for Black people in Anerica.

Since you refuse to tell me what the police did i can only assume that you dont know or that their reaction supports my point.

I did not say Black people are not subjected to overt racism, indeed i wrote that i have been subjected to overt racism. My situation did not warrant opening a fedreal case, nor does this one that you are so broken up over.

I see so many people reading their social media feeds consuming a ton of nonsense and getting worked up over some bullshit of no consequence, at least until the next shiny thing flashes before them and they get worked up all over again... 

Even my participation in this conversation feels into the frenzy on some level. While i'm trying lend some perspective, by saying both people handled the sutuation poorly, it is not heard or is just rejected without consideration. The only acceptable response is to take out a cell phone record the situarion and cry racism feeding the medias insatiable appetite for dysfuntion.

None if are better off escalating the dumb altercations. The media seem to be the only beneficiaries.

11 hours ago, Troy said:

Since you refuse to tell me what the police did i can only assume that you dont know or that their reaction supports my point.

@Troy You keep asking about 'the police response' and I continue to answer: My response is, the police came to his door, I think. Because, from what I remember, she did call the police. Then, I think the video I posted said the police, left and did not feel the need to arrest him. I'm not sure, But since you keep asking, I will listen to the video again.

My response was this though: This is NOT about the police, but it is about the White woman that called the police. I asked you this: Does the police have to 'be negative' in order for you to see the actions of the White woman? It is NOT about the police, it is about her and other white women that have recently called the police on Black people, ... for nothing, but they wanted the police to come out and do something to what they believed.

"Support my point"

Your point is that these 'stupid Black people' should not do anything against the White women who confront them and attack them, and they should not video them but keep these 'White women's actions quiet'  and that their actions are not harmful. You believe that Black people are stupid and dumb for feeling victimize by this issue of White women calling the police on them, a situation  that has been happening for some time now.  

got it.

Troy, I don't feel that he handled the situation poorly. I hope that you will stop bullying me and at least allow me to voice my opinion.

• Like 1

A QUOTE POSTED ON FACEBOOK by Mr. Toler:

To Be A Black man in America, & Come home,
Women tries to stop me from coming into my building because she feels insecure,
Downtown St. Louis luxury loft, because she don’t feel that I belong, never really thought this would happen to me, but it did!
Then 30 mins later police knock on my door, because she called! I was shocked this is America in 2018!

https://people.com/human-interest/woman-who-blocked-black-neighbor-speaks-out/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chevdove said:

Your point is that these 'stupid Black people' should not do anything against the White women who confront them and attack them, and they should not video them but keep these 'White women's actions quiet'  and that their actions are not harmful.

Obviously you have not read or understood a thing I have written @Chevdove, because your statement above, your assessment of my position is utterly absurd. You apparently have a such a deep seated hatred of white women that your have contorted my impressions beyond recognition.   (I also did not realize the brother was attacked by the white woman.)

4 hours ago, Chevdove said:

I hope that you will stop bullying me and at least allow me to voice my opinion.

The notion that I'm bullying YOU is just plain silly.  You are confusing disagreement and candor with bullying.  You are completely free to express your opinion; the suggestion in your comment that you are not is even more absurd. You obviously don't have a clue how I've run this platform for the last two decades. 

I'm not interested in reading any more opinion pieces about this situation, so I'll skip the article you've linked to.  Again it is more sensationalism which does not serve me, or any of us for that matter. The only ones served here is People magazine -- a publication that never interested me anyway. 

I asked you about the police's reaction because YOU brought them up. I was trying to understand your reasoning.  So you've done some more research to learn more, which again tells me that you did not have this information when you brought them up. Which makes sense given your conclusion.

@Troy  I am surprised at the the tone of your response to ChevDove's last post.  Your dismissal of her argument bristled with indignation over your feeling of being misunderstood.  But you have to take responsibility for some of this because you have been so uncompromising in your opinion.  We have all conceded that there is some validity in your complaint about this incident being over played, but you haven't given an inch in your obstinate stance that you are absolutely right, a belief based on nothing more than your world view.  I am equally surprised at how you overlapped into ad hominem territory.

To me, the post below, quoting the man involved in this incident, shows him to be someone who does not fit into the "stupid" category in which you want to put him.  

9 hours ago, Chevdove said:

To Be A Black man in America, & Come home,
Women tries to stop me from coming into my building because she feels insecure,
Downtown St. Louis luxury loft, because she don’t feel that I belong, never really thought this would happen to me, but it did!
Then 30 mins later police knock on my door, because she called! I was shocked this is America in 2018!

https://people.com/human-interest/woman-who-blocked-black-neighbor-speaks-out/

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Troy said:

You apparently have a such a deep seated hatred of white women

@Troy What suggest this? Now, you are attacking me again, over an incident that went viral about one White woman. 

10 hours ago, Troy said:

(I also did not realize the brother was attacked by the white woman.)

Then why would you not even be accountable for not hearing that part? I posted the videos at the start of this thread. That is why I doubted my assessment after your first comment in this thread! You alluded to the young man NOT having a key fob, so I assumed that I had mis-heard and responded to you that I didn't realize that he did NOT have a key fob, so I went back and relooked and then responded to you later, that I did confirm. He did have a key fob. So, based on your comment that you 'did not realize that she called the police', I gave you the benefit of the doubt and, assumed that I had mis-heard that part too. So I went back and had to confirm. 

10 hours ago, Troy said:

You are confusing disagreement and candor with bullying.  You are completely free to express your opinion

Yeah, well you made it clear that you think this topic that I posted is 'stupid'; that is intimidating, because this topic went viral and was broadcasted in a significant news program, not just People Magazine. 

10 hours ago, Troy said:

You obviously don't have a clue how I've run this platform for the last two decades. 

No, I guess I don't

10 hours ago, Troy said:

Again it is more sensationalism which does not serve me, or any of us for that matter

Okay, so you speak for everyone even though this went viral? 

10 hours ago, Troy said:

So you've done some more research to learn more, which again tells me that you did not have this information when you brought them up

I gave you the benefit of the doubt, since you kept questioning on this point, so I went back to confirm. I doubted because I just did not expect that point would be overlooked.

9 hours ago, Cynique said:

We have all conceded that there is some validity in your complaint about this incident being over played,

@Cynique Thank you. I can not agree with her being fired for this incident going viral, and responded that I could not conclud objectively.

Edited by Chevdove
grammar

18 hours ago, Cynique said:

but you haven't given an inch in your obstinate stance that you are absolutely right, a belief based on nothing more than your world view.  I am equally surprised at how you overlapped into ad hominem territory.

Again you and Chevdove's confusion on this point is becoming irksome.  I NEVER said my opinion was right.  I said out the box neither you or I know what was in the woman's heart. We are all just giving opinions. What I have been rejecting is the reasoning for you too saying my opinion is wrong.  I've been accused of favoring a white woman over a Black man which is ludicrous and not understanding overt racism... an you want to accuse me of ad hominem?! 

Maybe we some more testosterone in this debate because you two women take every disagreement I have on this issue as if I'm making a personal attack.  While I'm not surprised that a relative newbie like @Chevdove would take my statements this way, I'm surprised that you are reacting this way.  Again, I submit that maybe the reason is your perception of my supporting Miss Ann --- I dunno, you tell me why this particular issue struck  nerve with you.

Chedove, In my book just because something goes viral does not mean it is relevant or serves Black people very well. I'd argue much of what goes viral on social media, and our oversized attention it, does us more harm than good and only services the media companies that broadcast and agitate the situation.

I'm glad you agree that losing a job over a minor altercation during personal time it an overreaction.  I suspect she was fired because she. is not exactly a valued employee and they used the situation as an excuse.

Your use of the work "Attack" Chevdove differs from mine. It seems it does not take much  for you to call something an attack.  As in the woman attacked the man in the lobby and I attacked you by expressing an opinion that disagrees with yours.  These are not "attacks;" these are examines of hyperbole. I engage in hyperbole from time to time to emphasize a point, but I never actually believe my exaggerations.

• Like 1

Troy

Maybe we some more testosterone in this debate because you two women take every disagreement I have on this issue as if I'm making a personal attack.

Lol......
So NOW maybe you see the importance of AfroAmerican men having a code!

It's clear that the women ARE on code with eachother.....as usual.

Problem is too many Black men want unity and help when THEY PERSONALLY get into trouble, but when it comes to other Black men....they're on their own.
Their conflict with the greater society is something to laugh at or is justified.

I'm not suggesting that YOU can't handle yourself or are in trouble, but that "I'm in it for me" mentality that exists among so many AfroAmerican men is what leads to a fractured and disorganized community.

Incase anyone was wondering, I'm not sure about Del's reasons but I've PURPOSELY refrained from commenting on this matter because I don't think my opinion on the REAL reason behind it and other situations like it would be well received anyway.

@TroyWe need an outside arbitrator because i think you are guilty of the same things you accuse us of. Objectivity is in short supply here. Also,  people don't realize how they come across when expressing themselves in writing.   Maybe this communication  problem has something to do with attitude which transcends words and settles itself in the spaces between them.  i felt like you were talking down to us, "mansplaining" and seeming to shake  your head at how silly you found our arguments to be.   I also felt that your beef had more to do with your detesting the media than whether or not the condo guy's response was justified. 

You imply that labeling  your position as an "opinion" absolves you from thinking it was "absolutely right".  Tell me, who posts an opinion they don't think is absolutely right? When i twice suggested that we agree to disagree, you never went along with this, giving me the impression that you were reluctant to legitimize my argument by calling the debate a "draw".    And, of course, this is a subjective conclusion on my part.   

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Troy said:

8 hours ago, Troy said:

I've been accused of favoring a white woman over a Black man which is ludicrous and not understanding overt racism..

@Troy Okay. Point received. You had said that you didn't realize certain details, and so, in this, I can understand why your earlier assessment and opinions were as they had been. I woult suppose that operating the kind of business that you do, causes you to have to sift through a lot of material, and I could understand why you may skim certain articles and perhaps skip over some details. 

8 hours ago, Troy said:

Maybe we some more testosterone in this debate because you two women take every disagreement I have on this issue as if I'm making a personal attack.

LOL. Troy, all I can say is, 'I am a @Cynique groupie!!!--- You pulverized me! I am no match for you!---

8 hours ago, Troy said:

Chedove, In my book just because something goes viral does not mean it is relevant or serves Black people very well.

yes, I can agree with that in some cases.

8 hours ago, Troy said:

I suspect she was fired because she. is not exactly a valued employee and they used the situation as an excuse.

maybe. I think this system is in need of restructuring because people can lose their jobs for anything nowadays. 

LOL--I am going to have to look up the definition of 'hyperbole' before I can respond.

6 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Incase anyone was wondering, I'm not sure about Del's reasons but I've PURPOSELY refrained from commenting on this matter because I don't think my opinion on the REAL reason behind it and other situations like it would be well received anyway.

@Pioneer1 LOL. Uh oh. okay. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Problem is too many Black men want unity and help when THEY PERSONALLY get into trouble, but when it comes to other Black men....they're on their own.

Maybe you are right.

8 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

REAL reason behind it and other situations like it would be well received anyway.

LOL! Since when are you concerned about your reasoning being well received -- spit it out man!  Besides the reasons I'm hearing for making this a federal case makes no damn sense to me so far.

@Pioneer1, if a woman tried to stop you from entering your own apartment would you make a video of it and put in youtube?  Seems like a childish, almost punk-like way of handling this (not something I'd expect a woman to understand).  Some of the Brothers I know would have just showered her to the side and entered -- end of story.  I don't get these social-media-people sometimes...

7 hours ago, Cynique said:

Maybe this communication  problem has something to do with attitude which transcends words and settles itself in the spaces between them. 

Perhaps you are right, but this too is subjective based upon the recipient's own lense.  Sometimes when what you expressed is so distorted from both what you intended to communicate and your actual belief it is hard to understand.  What the listener is thinking.

@Cynique, sure people believe their opinions but that is an entirely different thing than what is true what is factual.  People hold opinions about things that are demonstrably false. We are all entitled to our opinions... Now we disagree about the relative importance of this situation. I think it is of no real consequence and certainly not newsworthy.  You and Chevdove disagree.  Fine.

Yes my increasing disdain for the media informs my opinion because were it not for the media -- I don't read ANYTHING on Twitter unless it is directed to me, and I definitely don;t follow 45.  However I am subjected his every tweet if it is incendiary and factually incorrect the more likely I'm to know about it.  Twitter is losing active users by the droves -- why login to Twitter when mainstream media repeats everything there anyway?

2 hours ago, Chevdove said:

Troy, all I can say is, 'I am a @Cynique groupie!!!

Me too

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Troy

Despite the urge to do so, I wouldn't have put my hands on her.
That would be just the excuse she needs to justify assault charges.
The building cameras wouldn't have caught her blocking me from getting into my apartment or following me around but I guarantee it would have caught me if I had put my hands on her.

Actually I would have video taped her and called the police on her and quite possibly pressed charges.

As far as the REAL reason she and others like her have been calling the cops on AfroAmericans......
They aren't doing it because they're "afraid" or sincerely believe criminal activity is going on. I believe they are doing it HOPING that the police will show up and seriously injure or kill the the person they called them on.

These racists are using the police to do THEIR dirty work for them.

It's called "swatting".

• Thanks 1