I Got Game

There are few activities I enjoy more than attending an NBA game! Since my son has a lttle clout, he got me, my daughter, and 2 grandsons free tickets to see the Bulls and the Detroit Pistons face off last night. :unsure:

Boy! 'Talk about excitement! The United Center was jam-packed with all of us roaring Bull fans, and there was never a dull moment starting with the spectacular introductions of the home team's starting line up, continuing on through the time-out shows featuring tumblers, and dancing girls, and 3-point shooting contests, and rolled up souvenir T-shirts being fired into the audience from toy cannons, video sweepstakes games flashed on the huge TV screens positioned throughout the building, making coupons available for patrons holding winning numbers. And what a thrill it was to see hanging from the rafters 6 NBA championship banners. :rolleyes:

What really capped off the night was being there to witness an awesome play which will undoubtedly become the definitive poster shot for Derek Rose, our star point guard who leaped waaaay above the rim, all up into Michael Jordan rare air to slam dunk a high ally-oop with one hand, bringing everybody to their feet, giving him a deafening ovation as the Bulls went on to pull out a come-back victory over the hapless Pistons. What a great way to escape the cares of the day! Oprah's greedy recipients of her favorite things have nothing on me! :D

The Miami Heat will be in town this Saturday and I know the joint will be rockin that night. I'll be glued to the TV watching this game, hoping the Bulls can pull out a surprise win over the Heat the way they did against the Lakers and the Celtics earlier this season. ;)

It's gratifying to have something that can still inspire your enthusiasm. Go, Chicago Bulls! Go, Chicago Bears! And, outside, the snow continues to fall... B)

Sigh. :( So what happens next? The Bulls travel to Charlotte to play the BobCats and promptly lose to this sub-par team.

Phooey! :angry: I don't guess this defeat had anything to do with MJ, who is part owner of the BobCats, being in the audience, cheering on his team. Who needs him?

The only down side to being a Bulls fan is their too frequent proclivity for blowing games. :blink:

Alright Cynique! I see what you and those damn Clippers are trying to do - drag me back into their basketball camp - aren’t you? Well it ain’t gonna work this time! Being a vocal non-Laker fan the Clippers are all I’ve got but I ain’t going for it this time. I’ve been their fool too many times to fall for it again. Yeah, they’ve won a few games [FINALLY] and yeah they beat the Heat and stopped their streak and yeah they’ve got some good players BUT they’ve had good players before. They’ve had good teams before and good coaches before but…but…but it NEVER works and I’m not gonna fall for it again. Nope, not this time. <_<

Well, I MAY go to a game though because it is fun to be there but I’m not getting my heart involved this time. Nope, not again. Sigh.

And don’t get me started on the damn Bruins. All I ask is for them to win 2 stinking games each year and they’ve already blown the first one. :angry: Lose to the Trojans? Really?

Go Bruins. Sigh.

Crystal

p.s. football is even worse.

Ladies there is nothing like college basketball's March Madness.

That said, one thing about me is that unless I'm (or someone I really care about) is actually in the game or I have money riding on it; I can't truly "get into" a game the way many sports fans can -- or even the way you describe Cynique.

Sure, as a letter winner from Syracuse University I can appreciate the athleticism. But I never truly understood the mind set of the "fan". You know the kinda cat who was always says "we" won or lost the game. The guy or gal that gets visibly upset or happy based upon the game's out come. You know the brother that will spend much of a good weekend in front of the TV living vicariously through exploits or others -- I never got it.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy going to the occasional game with the fellas or the family. Shoot, I'm even hosting a poker party for the Super Bowl.

Sure I'd prefer if the NY Jets win the AFC championship, but if they don't I will not lose and ounce of sleep.

The only concern I'm likely to have regarding the Super Bowl's score is that the numbers I've been assigned on that 10 by 10 matrix match the score of at least one of the quarters.

As you know, Troy, "fan" is a shortened form of "fanatic". Spectator sports are apparently something you resist investing your passion in. :huh:

Me, I am very partisan and have little interest in rooting for anything but "home" teams. I also lean toward professional sports, with the exception of the U. of I. and the local high school from which I graduated. For some reason, I've never gotten into March Madness; too long and too involved. I also tend to be a fair weather fan, quick to jump on a winning bandwagon. ;)

The Bulls command my loyalty so much because their star point guard, Derek Rose, is a home-grown Chicago boy. :D

And when faced with a choice between cabin fever and Chicago Bears fever, I choose the latter. :unsure:

Sports are a form of escapism like other types of entertainment. Superstars are usually charismatic and everybody loves a victor! :rolleyes:

Cynique, intellectually I understand the draw. However it has never moved me so emotionally.

It is not that I'm resistant to it. In fact, sometimes when I'm at a game and I look around and see the ecstasy on some of the "fanatic's" faces I wish I too could experience the joy, alas I do not.

That same goes for concerts. I saw Prince the other day. Maceo Parker, Cassandra Wilson and Shelia E were surprise performers -- it was a really good concert. But again, there were people who were creaming their pants. They see Prince as often as they can, and damn near worship him. I can't that worked up. Sometimes I wish i could, but it is not in me.

I get more of a thrill being on the stage or in the game.

Don't sleep on March Madness.

I guess we can assume, Troy, that you are not a sexual voyeur. :D

"Ol school" Prince reminds his faithful fans of times gone by, - of first loves and lost loves, - of secret crushes and stolen intimacy, - of dreams of stardom and a return to reality, - of coming of age during a new era in pop music. Some folks revere such memories. Others can look back and laugh. So many stages of people's lives are defined by music, and so many cherish the days of their youth. :rolleyes:

Your would assume correctly Cynique. In fact, watching others "get busy" unless they are very attractive and demonstrating some unusual prowess, would be a turn off. I gotta have some skin in the game to really enjoy it.

Re Prince. That helps 'cause I never really understood the strong attraction -- not even conceptually. I've seen the man perform twice now; once in Vegas a few years ago and recently in NJ.

He puts on a good show so I'd go see him again, but he'll never bring me to tears or compel be to want to see him more than once every few years or so.

I was once a big Prince fan - by de-fault because my daughters were so into him when he first came out. But over the years, I kinda outgrew him. Yes, he has achieved legendary status, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see him anymore. The last time I say him about 10 years ago, I was more entertained by the reaction of his die-hard fans just yearning for him to play his old hits. They would, indeed, go crazy when he teased them with a few favorites slipped in between all the new crap he insisted on jamming down our throats. When he sang "Adore" that helped to make my night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVkw3p2xRgI

• 3 weeks later...

Do you ever give any thought to the vapid off-the-top-of-your head remarks you make, ChrisHayden?? I was responding to Troy's comments about a Prince concert he had just RECENTLY attended. And the first thing I said in my reply was that I had outgrown Prince.

You are so out of touch with pop culture that you apparently don't know about the "greatest hits" tradition wherein artists and their faithful fans celebrate the classics of the past.

As somebody who's always singing the praises of 1970s icon, James Brown, you need to shut up.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, yeah Blake Griffin – I saw you. Yeah you were good and I’m glad you won and everything but it ain’t gonna work! Maybe if you had beat out that purple punk for MVP but for now I still ain’t going for it. I know you weren’t even around when your boys did me so wrong before but sorry . . . not going for it! Yet. B)

Crystal