Scamming In The Black Conscious Community

I hate the fact that Black people are resistant when it comes to spending money with Black people. The problem is embedded deep within our culture and I notice certain social behavior that appears to be prevalent among all Black societies everywhere on the planet that I know of. There is a basic flaw that Black people have about doing business with their people. Of the biggest flaw I notice, it is being disingenuous when it comes to finance.

I kind of feel like the Hotep community has become a playground for conscious pimps who are set at exploiting the Black community for money and personal gain. It's not cute. As a result, you have certain platforms that appeal to the community for money to grow their needed business. While I do feel that all Black businesses are necessary and deserve the support of the Black community, I feel like many of these platforms use Black empowerment to empower themselves. Anytime I notice disingenuous in the Black community when it comes to finance, I immediately turn away from these businesses or platforms.

image.png.2c271421c877b4228c42cf994116f196.png

Black businesses need to stop duping our people when it comes to how we deal with their money. If this behavior is prevalent in the Black community, then it certifies that Black people have a reason not to trust these businesses and also businesses with good intentions due to their bad experiences with businesses, full black owned, that have taken money and lied about how that money was spent. There is no bigger crime in the Black community than this. It pains me to hear a story of a Black person who donated money to a Black business and later learns that this money was not spent how it was supposed to be spent. Unfortunately, this appears to be typical behavior in the Black community.

We have to stop looking at our people as suckers and stop taking money from our people with crooked intentions. I have noticed that Facebook as well as YouTube has become a haven for scammers and Hotep pimps looking to take advantage of the Black community, simply to enhance their own pockets. This backwards behavior must cease in the Black community. We need to be able to trust each other. We need to feel comfortable and safe spending money with each other, which is how we will empower Black businesses and hold on to the Black dollar longer, which is imperative to building as a people.

Furthermore, this behavior of stealing from our people is not who we are. I believe this behavior has been engineered socially. It's been programmed into us by our music and through Black media as well as mainstream media, which we haven't had proper control of. It appears that once many of our new generation leaders get a certain amount of pull or popularity in the Black conscious community, money becomes their religion. I love money as next as the next man, but I refuse to worship money. Understanding how it works is necessary. Valuing wealth is paramount. But making money your god is the wrong religion and will not lead to wealth, which supersedes money because money is superficial.

image.png.169007f1d722a10908ece77e4c25641d.png

Building respect, honor and integrity in the Black community has to be a priority, especially for the conscious community, which hopefully someday will evolve into a group of our most elite and forward thinking members of our race and culture. But we must not allow money to control our social behavior and influence our morality since money doesn't actually exist. True wealth lies in our cultural behavior as a people. True wealth relies upon moral foundation and principle. Once we get that back, then we have achieved wealth. Wealth should be and needs to be the goal. This flaw is something that must be corrected in the Black community.

• Thanks 1

Well i agree to a point: AALBC, for example,  survives because of Black people. If Black people were not supportive or patronizing the site, it would have been a wrap long ago.

That said, AALBC can not compete with the massive corporations who utilize psychometric tools (ads, algorithms, big data) and white privilege (access to the capital markets, media, and industry connections) to woo our people away from supporting their own. As a result AALBC's growth is constrained.

The solution is not as simple as asking black people to patronize fiscally responsible black owned businesses.

@Troy There is a difference in the behavior brother. Nothing wrong at all with Black businesses receiving money to survive. That's pretty much the point. However, when there are people who misappropriate these funds or have no intentions of using the money to support their network or business, then that's where the problem lies.

I see nothing wrong with requesting money to support Black social networking because a lot goes into it. My only problem is when I catch some of these brothers (who may have good intentions) purposely lying to the public so they can get more money from them. That goes against code in my humble opinion and though I don't believe this is the norm, I believe that this behavior will hurt Black businesses who are more upfront.

For instance, right now in the conscious community, there is a lot of mistrust. We need to get to a place where there isn't as much mistrust and uphold certain standards in our communities, which will make it more likely that our people will want to patronage us and our businesses. And because this is exceptionally important, especially in the Black community, we don't have much room for error.

I actually believe it's important that Black people patronage and donate to Black businesses more, so these businesses can grow. Starting a Black owned business automatically puts us at sort of a disadvantage because such businesses are appealing to only a certain group of people. Therefore, it's crucial that we maintain the excellence and integrity that is necessary in the Black community. This post is not about patronage as so much as it is about dishonesty in our communities.

I also don't believe the burden should rely on the people. The burden relies on the businesses to do the right thing and most importantly earn the trust of the people. The more trust we build up, the better Black businesses do as a whole.