Minister Louis Farrakahn

The story of "Yakub', I don't really believe.I think this is a myth.

However,I came out of religious confusion, back in the 80's.It was Farrakhan and other black historians, who enlightened me and bought me out of this confusion.

I am grateful for what Min.Farrakhan has taught me about America, its history and politics.Before, I thought all the problems I was having was my fault.

Long live Minister Farrakhan.

On 11/23/2018 at 9:01 AM, Troy said:

What is the difference between what Farrakhan preaches and the (fill in the blank) religion?  Is it that it is the pro-Black perspective? 

Yes.  Farrakhan is like a black Joel Osteen, slick, smiling and glib.   

Can anyone name me any other organization (Black or White) in modern history that has a better record of cleaning up and reforming AfroAmericans and making them productive citizens?

Not being religious ofcourse I don't agree with everything Minister Farrakhan or the Nation of Islam teaches however I agree with far more than I disagree with.

One of the things I like about them is that they are PRACTICAL and believe in actually helping THEMSELVES instead of sitting around waiting on White people or Jesus to help them. This was expecially the case back in the 50s and 60s when they used to FORCE many of their members to stop working for Caucasians and demanded that they either work for another Muslim or start their own businesses.

They were also quicker to use physical force to discipline their members or other Black people back in those days so in a sense FORCED AfroAmericans to straighten themselves up.

4 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Can anyone name me any other organization (Black or White) in modern history that has a better record of cleaning up and reforming AfroAmericans and making them productive citizens?

There are plenty of white ones ho Judism is analogous to the Nation.

One the Black side there are a few but nothing im aware of the compares in scale and longevity to the Nation.

Man back in the day, before conitellpro and that BS nearly destroyed the Nation they were running businesses all over harlem. They embraced incarcerated brothers everyone else threw away. They had a school and an impressive mosque.

They identied and trained ministers like malcom and farrakhan and other dynamic speakers included Conrad Muhammad. Ministers who went and inspired the general public to be proud to be Black and to do for self.

Troy

Oh, you remember Conrad Muhammad?

It's my understanding that he's now a Christian minister and has reclaimed his old last name "Tillard"...lol.

As was the case in Harlem, Watts, and Chicago the Nation of Islam was really big in Detroit too and you can still find older AfroAmerican men who will reminisce about the old days.  But like you mentioned, another thing I like about them was they had a history of not going to the suburbs but going to the blackest and poorest parts of urban areas all over America and setting up thriving businesses.

Kind of like Queen X, the teachings of the Nation of Islam in Detroit was instrumental in helping me make the transition from the common "nigga" on the street to a conscious Black man who wants the best for his people.

I personally wish we had a non-religious organization that all could come into and get help when we need it along with a proper knowledge to improve ourselves and help our families.

Perhaps the closest we came to that in the past was Marcus Garvey's UNIA.
It was millions strong and was ecuminical not adhering to any particular religious or political affiliation.

Out of 39 million black folks in this country how many of today's young generation have been resurrected by the Black Muslims in comparison to those helped  by the likes of the Urban League and hundreds of other charitable  and religious organizations especially ones started by pro-athletes like LeBron James  and entertainers like Rappers  Common and Chance,  and so many others who have established foundations and are giving back to their communities. This is 2018, not the 1960s. 85 year-old Farrakhan is old news. He couldn't even stop his grandson from marrying a white girl.  And he,  himself, says from his Chicago mansion that doing anything about its black crime and killings is beyond the scope of him and his bean pies.

8 minutes ago, Cynique said:

Out of 39 million black folks in this country how many of today's young generation have been resurrected by the Black Muslims in comparison to those helped  by the likes of the Urban League and hundreds of other charitable  and religious organizations especially ones started by pro-athletes like LeBron James  and entertainers like Rappers  Common and Chance,  and so many others who have established foundations and are giving back to their communities. 

Apparently you don't know the difference between HELP and ASSISTANCE.

The Urban League., most charitable organizations, and even the modern federal welfare program....don't HELP AfroAmericans.
They merely ASSIST them.

There's a difference.

Help is a FORM of assistance, but all assistance isn't helping.

When you ASSIST someone you merely provide resources that make it easier or comfortable for them to do whatever they want or are trying to do.

When you HELP someone you're providing resources to actually IMPROVE their condition.

This is why welfare is called government ASSISTANCE instead of government HELP.

When you assist somebody, you're helping them.  When you help somebody you're assisting them.  period. Your definitions are not how the dictionary defines these twin words.   You are simply putting your spin on them, diluting the purity of language. 

with object and adverbial of direction Assist (someone) to move.

‘I helped her up’

with object and adverbial of direction Assist (someone) to move.
‘I helped her up

1Help (someone), typically by doing a share of the work.

‘a senior academic would assist him in his work’

no object ‘their presence would assist in keeping the peace’

An assistant and a helper have the same function. The only difference may be that an assistant sounds more professional and helpers may not get paid like Santa's Helpers. 

Again.....

When you're ASSISTING people you could be helping them or merely ACCOMODATING them.

If you're assisting them in the form of HELP then you're improving their condition.

If you're assisting them in the form of ACCOMODATION then they remain in the same condition but you just make it a little more comfortable and tolerable without improvement.

You can ASSIST someone in being a drug addict by giving them more drugs.
You can ASSIST an alcoholic by handing them a bottle.
But you aren't helping them; you're actually making matters worse.

But if you're actually HELPING someone then you're improving their condition or moving them from one state to a higher state.

And again..............

Most of those organization that Cynique mentioned don't actually HELP AfroAmericans.
They merely ASSIST them to maintain their same socio-economic condition but tolerate it a little better with a few more toys and food.

Marcus Garvey's UNIA and the Nation of Islam actually HELPED thousands if not millions of AfroAmericans improve their health, financial status, and even got them out of legal trouble and kept them out.

Del

You may be trying to ASSIST in clearing up this argument, but you're not HELPING it...lol.

@Pioneer1 sorry man the words are interchangable, though as Del suggested assist sounds a more proper or formal

You can HELP someone in being a drug addict by giving them more drugs.
You can HELP an alcoholic by handing them a bottle.

No where in the definition of the word "help" is there a guarantee of a positive outcome. Help or assistance that ultimately turns out to be unbeneficial does not mean help or assistance was not provided.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Del

You may be trying to ASSIST in clearing up this argument, but you're not HELPING it...lol

Some things are beyond help. You may need an assistant more than a helper. Simply because the word assistant has an ass in it. Hee hee hee

Edited by Delano
Typo

6 minutes ago, Delano said:

Some things are beyond help. You may need an assistant more than a helper. Simply because the word assistant has an add in it. Hee hee hee

?????

Didn't you just say: 

An assistant and a helper have the same function.

Lol......
If they have the same function what can an assistant do that a helper can't?

22 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

"Air" and "Wind" are also interchangeable....but they aren't the same.

It's a really good example that doesn't prove your point. Wind is moving air. 

If you are assisting someone the person is still able. They just need support. 

Whereas help implies a more critical situation. A person needing someone to step in on some one's behalf. 

No shouts "Assistance, assistance, can I get some assistance." 

If this is still not clear listen to the Beatles song assistance. 

Sorry for the toppo, add should be ass. Text prompting decided add was better than ass. 

1 hour ago, Delano said:

If you are assisting someone the person is still able. They just need support. 

Whereas help implies a more critical situation. A person needing someone to step in on some one's behalf. 

No shouts "Assistance, assistance, can I get some assistance." 

Great points!

Thank you for not just assisting me but actually HELPING me to prove my point that "help" and "assist" are different words with similar but still different meanings.

It helps bolster my original point that most of those organizations Cynique mentioned did not actually HELP AfroAmericans but merely ASSISTED them in maintaining our people in a state of poverty and social dysfunction.  But organizations like the UNIA and NOI recognized how critical the situation was and implemented programs to actually HELP improve our condition!

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

"Air" and "Wind" are also interchangeable

No, no these words are not at all interchangeable and it is not a good analogy. SMH LOL!

It is like say "water" and "current" are interchangeable. A current, like a wind is independent of the respective medium or water or air.  

40 minutes ago, Troy said:

No, no these words are not at all interchangeable and it is not a good analogy. SMH LOL!

It is like say "water" and "current" are interchangeable. A current, like a wind is independent of the respective medium or water or air.  

The trachea is called BOTH an "airway" and "windpipe".

It looks to me like the words air and wind are being used interchangeably for the same descriptive term.

Just like MALE and MAN are different words with different meanings but are still often used interchangeably.

I think the analogies I provided were pretty good because:

1. Wind is a TYPE of air......air that's moving.
2. Help is a TYPE of assistance.....assistance that improves quality or state of being.
3. Man is a TYPE of male.....a mature male.

@Pioneer1you can continue to subjectively cast the words "help" and "assist"  in scenarios selected by you but, objectively, when they stand alone, the dictionary  classifies them as interchangeable synonyms.  You are not an etymologist or a semanticist or an authority on the English language. and you cite no source but yourself for what you are claiming    You are simply someone who wants to impose his self-styled definitions on people and organizations that do and are doing as much if not more than the NOI.

verb: help

• 1.make it easier for (someone) to do something by offering one's services or resources:"she helped him find a buyer"synonyms:assist, aid, help out, lend a hand to, lend a helping hand to, ... more antonyms:hinder
  • 2.serve someone with (food or drink):"she helped herself to a cookie"

noun :help

verb; assist

• 1.help (someone), typically by doing a share of the work:"a senior academic would assist him in his work"synonyms:help, aid, abet, lend a (helping) hand to, give assistance to, ... more antonyms:hinder

noun: assist

• 1.an act of helping, typically by providing money:"the budget must have an assist from tax policies"

9 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

The trachea is called BOTH an "airway" and "windpipe

But no one calls it an air pipe or a wind way. Wind is a moving air. So it's a subset of air. 

9 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Just like MALE and MAN are different words with different meanings but are still often used interchangeably.

No, not all males are men. Men is a subset of male the reverse is not true. 

Del and now Troy

Well........

I'm not sure why you two felt the strong urge to intercede on Cynique's behalf and assist/help her make her point and disprove mine.
She certainly doesn't NEED help or assistance defending herself but.....hey ((shrugs shoulders)).

I'm not into gang-banging so as far as I'm concerned if this issue is so important to you three that you're willing to support eachother and ignore everything I say that MAY be correct just to dwell on what I say that MAY be incorrect and prove me wrong, I'd rather abandon it all together....because something tells me the REAL issue is much deeper than this particular subject.

No it is not that deep @Pioneer1.  I can disagree and agree with anyone on this forum on any given the issue -- and change my stance given additional thought and debate.  There is no hidden agenda, at least on my part. 

I will never debate @Delano on astrology because his knowledge far exceeds mine on the subject.  I will always listen to @Cynique when she describes anything from a past that she lived and I only read about,  Indeed I relish these stories and would allow ask question rather than argue with her about her experience.

As far as this trivial debate about the your failure to recognize that Help and Assist are synonymous is nothing more than that - trivial.  What I find surprising is that after all these years you will never change your stance on any issue -- even when you are demonstrably wrong, like now.

The question you really be considering is why?  Why are you so rigid?  (I bet Del could guess you zodiac sign 🙂 I'm thinking you're a Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, or Aquarius). Why won't you take in information and use it to advance your understanding of, as in this case the English language 😉

• Like 2

Nah @Delano I dont have the knowledge to debate you on Astrology. It would be silly to try now if i did not previously know how much you knew i might try, but once it became clear i would just sit down and listen.

Now i did not agree with your Astrological prediction about 45 leaving office before the end of the year, but i did not disagree based up your astrology -- which i never challenged. I disagreed based upon other sources.