Would like a book review for Upright Bass: The Musical Life & Legacy of Jamil Nasser

Guest Muneer Nasser

Guest Muneer Nasser

Vertical Visions Media Presents the untold story:

“A book that uncovers why Miles Davis was so fascinated by the untold stories of how these Memphis musicians were so ahead of the others…”

Upright Bass:The Musical Life and Legacy of Jamil Nasser

A Jazz Memoir

ISBN# 139780692895986

Available for purchase at www.jamilsnasser.com

Publication Date: July 1, 2018 

Media contact: Amir Nasser, Verticalvisionsmedia@gmail.com or 240-449-5816

"I loved the way Jamil played bass, so I asked him to join my band.  His great bass playing, and personality contributed much to my music." B.B.  King

About the Book:

George Joyner, Jamil Sulieman, and Jamil Nasser are three names that appear on the records of Phineas Newborn, Lou Donaldson, Ahmad Jamal, Red Garland and many more. These 3 names identify one jazz bassist, composer, and jazz advocate, who made an indelible mark in the jazz world for over fifty years. Upright Bass chronicles his evolution from a young bassist on Beale Street to a top-flight bassist on the New York Jazz scene. Miles Davis harbored curiosity about the environment that produced Jamil and three Memphis musicians he hired in 1963. Nasser's narrative captures the untold stories of two piano giants Phineas Newborn and Oscar Dennard. He also shares anecdotes about his mentors: Papa Jo Jones, Lester Young, Charles Mingus, Oscar Pettiford, and Ray Brown. Moreover, Jamil describes his decade long tenure with Ahmad Jamal, which included a life-threatening imprisonment in South America. Finally, we learn about his plight as an outspoken jazz artist fighting for greater union representation, the perils of heroin addiction in the music industry, media access, healthcare, and self-ownership.

About the Author:  

Muneer Nasser is a musician, author, songwriter and historian. Born on June 3, 1967 to the late, great bassist Jamil Nasser, Muneer Nasser’s exposure to the jazz idiom was early and powerful. He’s had the unique opportunity to meet a lot of the jazz greats that his father knew. Muneer’s lifelong commitment to jazz history evolved out of these encounters. Consequently, he’s read over one hundred books, magazines, and conducted informal interviews with jazz masters whose answers stimulated his quest to document jazz history.  Watch out for Muneer’s new CD release A Soldier’s Story available December 2018.