Martin Luther King's sex life and his legacy

The action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation.

‘he is suing the TV company for slander’

Compare with libel

More example sentencesSynonyms

1.1count noun A false and malicious spoken statement.

Intent is important in slander. 

My mistake i was refering to the post. 

So I'll split it with you. 

• Like 1

Delano

Even if you thought homosexual activity was okay behavior to accuse a Christian and Muslim minister of......did you think accusing King of having affairs outside of his marriage wasn't an insult or malicious attack against the man's character?

It has to be MORE than only about intent, but also CONTENT.

Going back to Troy's point, if someone claims you are a rapist it doesn't matter if the person making that claim thinks that rape is OK.....it's commonly understood in public that rape is wrong and if they KNOW it's considered wrong in pubic and still make that claim about you then it would still be SLANDEROUS because it's ruining your PUBLIC reputation.

Now come in Del......
You know I'm not the smartest man in the word, what does "split it with you" mean?

Are you half way apologizing?
Are you half way recanting your statement?
Are you half way admitting an error?

What?

Talk PLAINLY with those of a more simple mind, lol.

7 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

did you think accusing King of having affairs outside of his marriage wasn't an insult or malicious attack against the man's character

No but you do. 

It has to be MORE than only about intent, but also CONTENT.

I have no idea what you mean. 

Going back to Troy's point, if someone claims you are a rapist it doesn't matter if the person making that claim thinks that rape is OK.....it's commonly understood in public that rape is wrong and if they KNOW it's considered wrong in pubic and still make that claim about you then it would still be SLANDEROUS because it's ruining your PUBLIC reputation

Rape is an act that can result in jail time. In our culture an affair doesn't have the same penalties. 

I have asked a question not made a statement. I doubt seriously that a question can be considered slander or libel. Please provide a court case supporting your view and I'll concede the point. 

Furthermore does any rational person believe that statement tarnishes King's Legacy? Clearly due to object reasoning that precludes either of us answering the question. 

Splitting it. 

On 12/14/2018 at 4:53 PM, Delano said:

My mistake i was refering to the post. 

So I'll split it with you. 

I could have been clearer about the reference. So there is some culpability on my side. 

Delano

No but you do.

And I'm not the only one.
It's COMMONLY UNDERSTOOD that accusing a married (and in most cases a girlfriend/boyfriend) individual of having an affair is harmful to their public reputation.

Also, in many if not most circles accusing a heterosexual of homosexual behavior is also harmful to their reputation....especially in religious circles.

I mean that harmful accusations consist of more than just whether or not you INTENDED to cause harm.
Even if you didn't INTEND to cause harm, the CONTENT of what you said may still be very harmful.

Rape is an act that can result in jail time. In our culture an affair doesn't have the same penalties.

True, but it can still ruin a person's reputation!

No..in the United States adultery is not ILLEGAL, but it is still considered by most IMMORAL and UNETHICAL by most.

Except for many VERY wealthy people who don't take marriage seriously anyway and routinely swap wives and engage in all manner of sexual behavior....lol.

4 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

s COMMONLY UNDERSTOOD that accusing a married (and in most cases a girlfriend/boyfriend) individual of having an affair is harmful to their public reputation

My saying Elijah Muhammed raped teen age girls didn't diminish your opinion of him, nor Troy. 

I mean that harmful accusations consist of more than just whether or not you INTENDED to cause harm.
Even if you didn't INTEND to cause harm, the CONTENT of what you said may still be very harmful

A question is not an accusation, nor is a question a statement. So unless you want to fight with grammar . You dont have a case, unless we were in court. You may want to read or reread the four different types of sentences. 

No..in the United States adultery is not ILLEGAL, but it is still considered by most IMMORAL and UNETHICAL by most

Then why use an example as if rape and infidelity are equivalent. Its using hyperbole in a way that is an attempt to undermine my position. While skirting around the central issue, a question can not be libel or slander. I'll tell you what, its too hard for you to find ONE case to make your point. Just run a seach and post the link and I'll check. If more than half agree with you I'll concede the point. Does that sound fair to you. 

Except for many VERY wealthy people who don't take marriage seriously anyway and routinely swap wives and engage in all manner of sexual behavior....lol.

Like the Christians and Donald Trump , this is slight sarcasm but with any luck you might get the point. 

Delano

My saying Elijah Muhammed raped teen age girls didn't diminish your opinion of him, nor Troy.

Troy can speak for himself but no.....it didn't.
Because I don't believe it's true that he did.

But when you put a statement that derogatory and inflammatory out in public where thousands have access to it...out of that number MANY WILL believe it.
Thus, a certain amount of damage is done.

If you don't know the FACTS, it's best not to put out derogatory information.
Especially if you've repeatedly been asked to prove or atleast provide evidence for yet failed to do.

A question is not an accusation, nor os a questiin a statement. So unless you want to fight with gramma. Yiu dont jave a case, unlwss we were in court. Yiu may want to read or reread the four different types of sentences.

Man, ain't nobody trying to 'fight with grandma"...lol

You made 2 derogatory claims inside your question.
You claimed that King had affairs and you claimed that he slept with men and these claims (that you were unable to prove or even substantiate) were PART of the question.

It's like going over a man's house on Thanksgiving, sitting down to the dinner table, and casually asking him infront of his wife and family:
"So, are you still banging that b*tch over on Grand River Ave. or have you found another one????"

You've just implicated him as an adulterer and demeaned him infront of his family INSIDE the question you asked him.

Then why use an example as if rape and infidelity are equivalent.

?????
Who said they were?

I don't think they are, although they ARE part of the same category of IMMORALITY.
Just like assault isn't equivalent to murder but both fall under the category of CRIME.

Its using hyperbole in a way that is an attempt to undermine my position.

No, it's called being ANALYTICAL and keeping things within proper perspective to keep you from clouding up the argument which is what you're TRYING to do.

Thou shalt not confused MORALS, with LAWS, or LAWS with ETHICS.
They are 3 separate categories.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:16 PM, Delano said:

I asked you ti show me one legal case, or even a search on is a question grounds for libel or slander. And here the discussion concludes for me. 

Will you end the discussion unable (or unwilling) to admit that you have absolutely NO evidence to support your claims that The Reverend Doctor was an adulterous homosexual?

4 hours ago, Delano said:

Yes you are both right, I don't know why I ever think of disagreeibg with either of you. I have learned about all of us thank you. 

Not sure how much you've learned about those of us on this site, but unless you've learned "all about".....or atleast ENOUGH about....Martin Luther King,  you shouldn't be spreading false rumors about him or his sexuality.

37 minutes ago, Troy said:

Still won't answer a question direct question huh @Delano?

6 hours ago, Delano said:

Yes you are both right, I don't know why I ever think of disagreeibg with either of you. I have learned about all of us thank you. 

I said both you and Pioneer are right. What else would you like me to say. 

3 hours ago, Delano said:

I said both you and Pioneer are right. What else would you like me to say. 

I would LIKE for you to apologize for attempting to smear the reputation of a good man who put his life on the line and died for the rights of you and other AfroAmericans, but that would be TOO MUCH like the right thing to do.....lol.

So I won't ask for it.