I am smarter than the average woman.

9 hours ago, Delano said:

f you have or want to 

use another definition for  your argument , that's fine with me.

Even if I used the definition above or my definition of  “Smart” which is how one uses information,  I realize I would need an accurate profile of both you and the average woman to make that determination.

@Delano  Why did you ask? 

10 minutes ago, Mel Hopkins said:

I realize I would need an accurate profile of both you and the average woman to make that determination

An assessment based on your opinion is also fine. If i were stating the topic as a fact then i could see your hesitancy . 

15 hours ago, Delano said:

Comments

@Delano It depends. 

It depends on what concept I guess. 

I believe that some men can be smarter than the average woman if they have studied the uniqueness of our makeup 'in general' what makes us unique, and if a man has interacted with women enough to know 'a commonality' in what makes the average woman behave in the way 'we' do-- what is our motivation, aspirations, frustrations with our existence, etc., then a man could supercede the intellect of the average woman if the goal is to become spiritually connected to our being.  That is my initial thought. In order to intellectually range higher than another persons's spirit, it would take a willingness and effort to match that spirit. I think men should try to at least do that, otherwise, we will never be understood and appreciated for our unique presence.  Knowledge is a defining sort of power. I think, because women have been suppressed by mankind, we tend to have to 'out think' men in order to be free and so, that may be what makes us smarter, at times, than the average man -- in some things.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

Even if I used the definition above or my definition of  “Smart” which is how one uses information,  I realize I would need an accurate profile of both you and the average woman to make that determination.

The more I think about it - I have to conclude I’m unable to offer an opinion. I don’t even have an opinion whether men are smarter than women or vice versa... too many variables.  

For example Troy said men score higher in spatial intelligence but I know for a fact, that I personally score higher than most men in that particular category - in fact, that’s the category I score the highest in - followed by pattern recognition... 

Yet, I’m not a man but a daughter from a military family... I started my formal education in Germany; where there was little to no gender stereotyping and children were raised as if they were mini-adults...

I think early “programming” has a lot to do with how we display intelligence later in life.

But back to your question.  I believe your reasoning skills are above average - and appear to operate at a high level but I’m unable to compare that to an average woman I don’t know how to define an “average” woman. 

I consider myself average - but since I play to my strengths and not my weaknesses - I present as high functioning and above average. 

All this to say, I won’t offer an opinion comparing sets without raw data 😄

• Like 3

On any given characteristics people are distributed across a spectrum.  Take a easily measured characteristic like height; the "average" man is taller than the average women. However if you pick any random set of men and women, there will be women who are taller than the men, but that does not mean that the averages no longer hold.

Again a characteristics like intelligence can be viewed many different ways and is often be difficult to measure. Therefore, making a statement like, "I am smarter than the average woman." is meaningless. Indeed, it underlies a lack of understanding of what intelligence means, by the person saying it (how is that for toxic egocentricity 😉).

• Like 1

@Del i think you are very well-read, but i don't think you're smarter than the average woman when it comes to communicating because you are not cognizant of how  your quixotic style of expressing yourself affects your coherence.  The average woman is flexible enough to maker herself clearly understood.  So, like everyone else, I believe that smartness has to be categorized.  

4 hours ago, Troy said:

Therefore, making a statement like, "I am smarter than the average woman." is meaningless. Indeed, it underlies a lack of understanding of what intelligence means, by the person saying it (how is that for toxic egocentricity 😉).

@Troy in the other  post you wrote the following. Can you reconcile these two conflicting statements.

Can anyone else can explain this @Cynique

There are many different types of intelligences and some, like spacial intelligence, men are measurable superior. Women they say are more emotionalintelligent, empathy for example 

@Del Plowing my way through Troy's assertions after plowing my way through your request for me to explain them, i came to the conclusion that his statements were not necessarily in "conflict". The second one seems to elaborate on the first one.  The message was the same: your question is ambiguous. His reference to "toxic egocentricity" was apparently a wise-crack referring to something said in another post.  🙄

4 hours ago, Cynique said:

So, like everyone else, I believe that smartness has to be categorized.  

@Troy @Cynique @Mel @Chevdove with the exception of 

Chevdove you all were less reticent when i said the average women was smarter than the average man. Or do you think I am mistaken? 

3 hours ago, Delano said:

And while they aren't the same question, can anyone explain why your criteria changed from one question to the other. I can understand your reasons being different but not the manner that you came to them. 

@DelSpeaking for myself, when you said women were smarter than men, I was not less reticient, - except in your opinion.  i said women were more detail-oriented than men, and knew a little bit about a lot of things, whereas men seem to have limited interests.  When you said that you were smarter than the average women and requested a comment,  i said you were well-read but not as smart as women when it came to communicating clearly because you were not aware of  how the quixotic way you expressed yourself affected your coherence.  My conclusion that smartness has to be categorized  is consistent with my above statements and is also pretty much in agreement with Troy saying: "characteristics like intelligence can be viewed many different ways and is often be difficult to measure. Therefore, making a statement like, "I am smarter than the average woman." is meaningless."   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cynique said:

Therefore, making a statement like, "I am smarter than the average woman." is meaningless."   

9 hours ago, Cynique said:

when it comes to communicating because you are not cognizant of how  your quixotic style of expressing yourself affects your coherence

I can't explain the point to your satisfaction. 

3 hours ago, Delano said:

@Troy @Cynique @Mel @Chevdove with the exception of 

Chevdove you all were less reticent when i said the average women was smarter than the average man. Or do you think I am mistaken? 

@Delano Nope.  I didn’t participate in “Average women smarter than Average man” discussion at all.  

Too broad and not enough data for me to make a comparison. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cynique said:

The second one seems to elaborate on the first one.  The message was the same: your question is ambiguous. His reference to "toxic egocentricity" was apparently a wise-crack referring to something said in another post.

Finally someone with a sense of humor and reading comprehension above the 3rd grade.

@Delano  now that some women explained why you question was problematic i guess now you get it 😉

• Haha 1

I always encourage people to  look at their assumptions and beliefs when thinking. I'll give you a hint. Why use different criteria for a similar question? Why is there more willingess to answer about general situation than a specific one. I will post my answer in the form of a question. 

Mel is also a contender because she thinks, can change her mind, and is intuitive. Cynique probably wont get it because I have not explained myself well. Pioneer is more of an experiencial thinker. 

4 hours ago, Delano said:

I will post my answer in the form of a question. 

Okay, I will be on the the lookout.

Mel is also a contender because she thinks, can change her mind, and is intuitive.

@Delano You think so? Well, I dunno, but I read somewhere that @Mel Hopkins says that she has measured high on 'Spatial Intelligence' and etc., and well, I had to look that term up! LOL. But she does fit what she is saying, IMO. She is amazing IMO. I only wish I could. But the problem with me is that, I think anyway, I am not that good at picking up deeper signals and messages immediately. It takes me a while. I think it may be because, I am second born in my family and my older sister clearly proved that she was much more smarter than me in certain ways such as in the areas of observation and intuition. She used to trick me all the time and I was slow at realizing it. She always ran circles around me, 'outhinking me'! She went on to do very well in her studies and became a Chemistry Major at a prestigious university. She, on the other hand did say that I was really sharp in other areas. She observed that I am highly intellectual in some areas. I think that I am too, and have become more wiser with age. 

Cynique probably wont get it because I have not explained myself well.

I dunno; LOL I think you are completely underestimating @Cynique. She just perhaps, not choose to deal with certain topics, but IMO, It seems to me, that if she wants to 'Bring it' she can. LOL. Anyway, I think you are very deep and you go over my head a lot. LOL. but, what I like about you, is that you challenge me, and I like that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Delano said:

I always encourage people to  look at their assumptions and beliefs when thinking. I'll give you a hint. Why use different criteria for a similar question? Why is there more willingess to answer about general situation than a specific one. I will post my answer in the form of a question. 

Mel is also a contender because she thinks, can change her mind, and is intuitive. Cynique probably wont get it because I have not explained myself well. Pioneer is more of an experiencial thinker. 

No, i won't "get it" if you proceed on the premise that the same criteria should be used in the 2 different statements you made, statements which i thought were diametrically opposed, not "similar' as you have decreed. You are lining up players for a mind game where you make the rules.  Pioneer and Troy will be awarded points depending on whether or not they agree with you.   Chevedove is the favorite.  Mel  can go either way.   😄

BTW, did you stay up all night pondering this dilemma which apparently prompted you to delete your 2 posts in which you quoted my statement about your mercurial explanations? 😉  (You should be advised that my acknowledgement of your being well-read, trumped my other observation.)  

Soooo, here we go, another discussion where subjective opinions will be an obstacle to resolutions.😩   

• Haha 1

@Cynique Del's deleted post may have been a mistake on my part. Lately Del has made posts multiple times. Yesterday there were 4 of the same posts scattered all over the place.  In my attempt to clean up the duplicates i may have gone too far (@Delano if that is the case sorry about that).

2 hours ago, Chevdove said:

@Mel Hopkins says that she has measured high on 'Spatial Intelligence' and etc., and well, I had to look that term up! LOL.

😀 better to look it up than wonder what is going on.

2 hours ago, Chevdove said:

She observed that I am highly intellectual in some areas.

Your sister does indeed sound smart and she is right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cynique said:

. You are lining up players for a mind game where you make the rules.  Pioneer and Troy will be awarded points depending on whether or not they agree with you.   Chevedove is the favorite.  Mel  can go either way.   

Ha ha ha one sentence is correct. 

10 hours ago, Cynique said:

Soooo, here we go, another discussion where subjective opinions will be an obstacle to resolutions.

Nope, i will pose a question. Which will allow each person to decide 

The end. 

12 hours ago, Chevdove said:

what I like about you, is that you challenge me, and I like that!

That's why i think you'll figure it out. Your approach to my ideas is different. We don't always judge things as they are we often judge as we are. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Chevdove said:

Well then, explain it to me please! 

Lol......ok, I'll try.

If you go back up about 6 posts you'll read where in a response to Del, Troy said:

Troy"For reasons previously stated this is impossible to answer.

What was your GMAT score? Was it higher than average? If so, maybe is was higher than the average score of a woman, making you more intelligent at taking standardized tests. "

Del's response was:

Delano"Then why ask questions if its impossible to answer. "

Which was s rhetorical question, meant to be more of a statement than a question.
But it prompted Troy to say:

Troy"Delano in the real world do you also avoid answering questions or answer questions with a question?"

....probably not realizing that Del  did answer (or atleast responded to) his questions by basically saying:
"Man, why are you even asking me these other questions about my GMAT scores if you think the original question is impossible to answer?"

But because Del didn't make that clear in his response it led to MORE confusion among the two.

I initially was going to answer until i realised it was pointless. 

Pioneer why di you think Troy didn't understand the answer. 

Troy in what way wasn't my response not straight forward. 

On 12/20/2018 at 8:26 PM, Troy said:

For reasons previously stated this is impossible to answer.

What was your GMAT score? Was it higher than average? If so, maybe is was higher than the average score of a woman, making you more intelligent at taking standardized tests.

Why do you ask the question @Delano?

On 12/21/2018 at 2:07 AM, Delano said:

Why answer a question with a question Troy. Or did the missing question mark confuse you. Yeah okay, Troy. 

Okay i should say even less.