https://www.newstatesman.com/lifestyle/2014/04/kimberl-crenshaw-intersectionality-i-wanted-come-everyday-metaphor-anyone-could

2 hours ago, Delano said:

Comment

@Delano Are you a pet parent?  Are you working in the physical environment or have found yourself more intuned with the environment, nature, our furry, feathered, fin / gilled family, etc.?   

I get the sense Pachamama

is communicating with you.

As for intersectionality”, yes this is the conundrum black women face daily. Specifically black women who believe in equality.  Even if society eradicated racism against blacks today, black women would still have to fight. 

The black women struggle is real and even as I read the article, I wanted to minimize her quest -act like it wasn’t necessary.  Frankly, I find if I look too closely at the world and its biases we’ve inherited; it zaps my energy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Mel Hopkins said:

@Delano Are you a pet parent?  Are you working in the physical environment or have found yourself more intuned with the environment, nature, our furry, feathered, fin / gilled family, etc

I don't have aby pers, however cats will listen to me. Ny intuition in general is getting stronger. Why do you ask or what's your feeling? 

In tandem with the above situation I have to insulate myself from negativity. 

2 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

As for intersectionality”, yes this is the conundrum black women face daily. Specifically black women who believe in equality.  Even if society eradicated racism against blacks today, black women would still have to fight. 

@Mel Hopkins That is a scary thought. 

But, I do agree. I think our transition into this system was terrible and indescribable, but as unfathomable as it was, I feel that under the system of Black kings, Black women had NO chance at all. I am hoping that in the future, we will be regarded as equal, but I don't think it will happen easily because of this system too, that seems to benefit from the gender conflicts.

5 hours ago, Delano said:

Comment 

She's good! I think her term 'Intersectionality' is out-of-this-world brilliant! But then, She's a Black woman.  Black women who strive to be professional 

and who are brave enough to stand up, are my constant reminders of true brilliance.  She broke down how other issues always drown (us) out and our

suppressions end up becoming completely invisible. It is insane. 

I was shocked to learn in this article that she was on the 'Anita Hill' case!!! I didn't know that! I remember that case so vividly. I watched every minute of it. I was completely BLOWN AWAY too, that Black women demonstrated against Anita Hill in support of Clarence Thomas. You gotta be kidding me! WOW! I can't imagine why?

What in the world? I never heard any of that. 

She describes coming out of the Capitol to find it ringed by largely African American women

“holding hands singing gospel songs in support of Clarence Thomas. It was like one of these

moments where you literally feel that you have been kicked out of your community, all

because you are trying to introduce and talk about the way that African American women

have experienced sexual harassment and violence. It was a defining moment.”

https://www.newstatesman.com/lifestyle/2014/04/kimberl-crenshaw-intersectionality-i-wanted-come-everyday-metaphor-anyone-could

I never knew. I wonder why? IMO he was completely . . . Man!!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Delano said:

Why do you ask or what's your feeling? 

@Delano  because I feel when return to nature we can “hear”...

a few years ago, I experienced an awakening when my first “grand-fur-baby” started to communicate with me... he was extremely patient ...and before I knew it - I could hear and understand.  

and now I can “hear” every living thing.  I’ve always found humans fascinating but I was tone deaf  now i’m having a different experience. 

I’m saying I believe you already experienced an awakening  —-but I get the sense you had litle patience for humans - and human foibles until now. 

Yes despite my calm reactions to comments posted here. I jave less patience for people. 

I have given cats commands and they responded. Although most of those were about four years ago. My most recent was about four years ago. Thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten

I find it interesting that feminists have to be put in 2 categories: black ones and whites ones.  But, then, this dichotomy has always existed and it began in another incarnation during the Women's Suffrage movement when white women were not receptive to black women being included in the struggle to gain the vote.  But black women persisted and did their own thing.   

The article's author could've also mentioned that intersectionality is a 3-headed monster because feminists, in addition to racism and misogyny, also had to contend with homophobic bias because of the lesbian presence in its ranks.  At the onset of the movement, this played a role in inhibiting the enthusiasm of straight black female who were considering joining the movement. Back in the 1960s  during the Women's Lib heyday, i remember the attitude of many black women reflecting  the idea that they were already on an equal level with their men, and were tired of sharing the burden, ready for these men to take over, and put their women on a pedestal the way white men did theirs. I never considered joining this group because like so many white liberal organizations back then, the leaders were condescending to blacks.  To this day, I don't consider myself a feminist.  I'm just a castigating woman; more so on some occasions than others.      

@Chevdove i never knew about Clarence Thomas commanding the support of black women, either. But the gospel-singing female supporters  hark back to the black church which encourages women to take subordinate and supportive roles with their menfolk, and this includes protecting them.  i also closely followed those hearings during which Democratic senator, Joe Biden, sided with Thomas.  Thomas being a Republican married to a white woman was all i needed to be on Anita's side.   

@Mel Coincidentally i, too, recently became a fur grandmother when my grandson, over my objections and threats to move, brought a pit bull-mix into the household to romp around and chew up everything.   Left with no choice but to co-exist with the creature, he and i did indeed communicate.  During the intervals when he was confined to his cage, i would stand over him and talk to him, telling him what i wasn't going to put up with and how he'd better shape up.  Sometimes he would argue back by barking at me.  We did, in the process, establish eye-contact.  Now, he knows that my room is off-limits, and to "sit" when i tell him to because i will reward his obedience by petting his head and scratching his ears.  Other times, he displays a little defiance by squeezing through the door with me when i enter my room and, once in there, will sniff around and then leave on his own. He seems to want to be in my company. He's docile and good when his master is around but when my grandson leaves, he tries to get tough with me and my daughter.  But, like the male of all species, when ignored he sulks away and takes a nap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Cynique said:

my grandson leaves, he tries to get tough with me and my daughter.  But, like the male of all species, when ignored he sulks away and takes a nap.

😄😄😄. @Cynique OMG does he think he’s is second in command?  It’s amazing how they rank our order in the pack! Lol! 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Cynique said:

I find it interesting that feminists have to be put in 2 categories: black ones and whites ones.

Not surprising to me it is easier for people to deal with.

There are, of course,  women who want their men to lead and desire what would be considered by feminists to be a subservient role. These women though a good portion of the population are voiceless and considered "old fashioned" or an anachronism. Some I've talked to are disappointed in men who are unwillingly or unable to take charge and lead their families, but men are not raised to lead anymore.

In addition to race and gender Black women have to deal with sexuality, weight, attractiveness, physical handicaps, maternity, age, religion, and any number of issues in which they can be discriminated against.

It is not a three headed monster it is much more complicated, but culturally we dont handle complexity well so race (black and white) and gender is about all the intersectionality we can hande.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Troy said:

It is not a three headed monster it is much more complicated, but culturally we dont handle complexity well so race (black and white) and gender is about all the intersectionality we can hande.

There are a multiplicity of we and not enough us. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cynique said:

i also closely followed those hearings during which Democratic senator, Joe Biden, sided with Thomas.

@Cynique Really!? Didnot know that either!

4 hours ago, Troy said:

In addition to race and gender Black women have to deal with sexuality, weight, attractiveness, physical handicaps, maternity, age, religion, and any number of issues in which they can be discriminated against.

@Troy Thank you! Well said.

4 hours ago, Troy said:

But men are raised to lead anymore.

True. But I don't think that is good due to the kind of world we live in right now.