How much of the internet is fake?

It turns out, a lot of it, actually 

This quote from the article linked below made me laugh out loud because it is so true: 

"Over at YouTube, the business of buying and selling video views is flourishing...."

People buy views subscriber's etc. Much of YouTube's content is fake nonsense or pirated content. Real stuff no longer stands a chance against this stuff. 

https://nymag-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2018/12/how-much-of-the-internet-is-fake.html?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQECAFYAQ%3D%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=http%3A%2F%2Fnymag.com%2Fintelligencer%2F2018%2F12%2Fhow-much-of-the-internet-is-fake.html

I imagine for once I can subscribe to the notion that "Ignorance is bliss". I was ignorant of the fact that people relied on the internet for news! Of course, I see it, but most of it seems outlandish like those tabloid stories you find at checkout counters at grocery stores. I scroll right past them. Though now, I recognize that with the professional trolling going on that the fake news is better packaged which bolsters the alleged truth of the article. Honestly, though, I am a newbie when it comes to the internet. I stay in my lane which means that I am usually on this site, or I'm using WORD to write. I listen to the blues on YouTube. There are not many other sites that I frequent so I basically know little about the vastness of the internet and just what it is capable of. I know how timid that sounds but I am always afraid that I may venture somewhere, pick up a virus, and lose all my data. All this means that I am computer illiterate. And yes, ignorance is not bliss, though.

Yeah you do have to be very careful about the sites you visit.

I never consume news via social media, because they don't produce news, so I always go to the news source. 

The Internet is a vast, dark, and scary place. Proceed with caution.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gibran said:

but I am always afraid that I may venture somewhere, pick up a virus, and lose all my data. All this means that I am computer illiterate.

Me too. I try to be cautious and concerned about picking up a virus.

But just in case you do, don't worry too much because there are ways to get the problem fixed without a lot of trouble. I mean, you may have to pay a little, but not hundreds of dollars as some crooks try to get you to believe.

Don't go to Staples, because they are a rip off, -- at least they tried to do me in!

MICROSOFT tech support are reputable but, there is a fake number though, when you use search engine. Ask them, and they will admit, they are NOT microsoft.

The cheapest route for me as been BEST GUY--THE GEEK SQUAD. They are reputable, and tell you the problem and can fix it without much trouble, at least, that's been my experience.