LOOK UP!

LOOK UP!

I just thought it would be cool to share this tidbit. If I can catch the news and hear the information about upcoming eclipses tht we might be able to see over here in America, it could be a learning experience in getting better understanding of how eclipses occur.

There will be a total lunar eclipse tonight and supposedly viewable in North AMerica... if the clouds don't cover it. 

Another arrangement like this one is not suppose to occur until over a decade later, I think.

And, this one is also a supermoon. Even though this aspect will not be obious, one site explained it pretty well, in that I can understand it.

The site said that imagine holding a baseball and a tennis ball in front of you. The size different is obvious, but if it is far away, then it is not so obvious. That is what this particular Supermoon will be in relation to its position with our earth and the sun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i always keep up with any rare celestial occurrences, especially in the summer when i stargaze nightly and commune with the universe by sharing my thoughts with it in the belief that doing so will energize and expand them...  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Cynique said:

i always keep up with any rare celestial occurrences, especially in the summer when i stargaze nightly and commune with the universe by sharing my thoughts with it in the belief that doing so will energize and expand them...  

That's a really good idea

Yes, I stayed up! I saw it and it was beautiful.

At first, I didn't think the moon would turn red. When it began to eclipse, it remained illuminated and then darkened by and by, but when it became almost completely eclipsed, it became a dark reddish-orange color. And it remained this reddish hue for almost a complete hour! 

Once, I saw a total lunar eclipse years ago, in Durham, North Carolina, and it became full not long after 6:00 PM and it was low and at an angle in the sky, but this one became full when it was straight up over head. It was almost midnight when it reached totality. 

• Like 3

On 1/20/2019 at 7:04 PM, Cynique said:

@Cynique I was thinking what would be the purpose to check out the lunar eclipse.  It just didn't make sense to me' until this very moment.   Thank you... "to commune with the universe" - perfect!!!  This is probably what our ancestors did too  - but I wonder  if these rare moments were also resources of some kind?  I did put that question out there - and you've supplied part of the answer! :)

Consider 

late 14c., "to fix the mind upon for careful examination, meditate upon," also "view attentively, scrutinize; not to be negligent of,"

from Old French considerer (13c.) "reflect on, consider, study,"

from Latin considerare "to look at closely, observe," probably literally "to observe the stars," from assimilated form of com "with, together" (see con-) + sidus (genitive sideris) "heavenly body, star, constellation" (see sidereal).

Perhaps a metaphor from navigation, but more likely reflecting Roman obsession with divination by astrology.

Tucker doubts the connection with sidus, however, because it is "quite inapplicable to desiderare," and suggests derivation instead from the PIE root of English side meaning "stretch, extend," and a sense for the full word of "survey on all sides" or "dwell long upon."

• Like 2

@Mel HopkinsThe phrase "commune with the universe" was one commonly heard back in the hey day of the new age movement back in the 1960s, and it's one i've always used because, as you have illustrated, it so accurately describes what i frequently do.  

My experience with the latest lunar eclipse was rather weird and i've hesitated to reveal it because it's so surreal.  But - I was checking the skies through my window all evening during the night of the impending eclipse. Because it was so bitterly cold, and because there was sporadic cloud cover, i didn't go outside, planning to do so when the eclipse began.  While biding my time, i apparently dozed off in the chair i was curled up in.  At some point later i found myself in a state of drowsy awareness, thinking how glad i was that i'd gotten to see the progress of the eclipse. Then i sat up fully awake but confused, realizing that i had never gone out side...or had I???   Later when pictures of the eclipse were shown on TV weather reports, what i saw, was what i had seen - in my mind's eye...  🌕🌘🌗🌒🌚   There will be another lunar eclipse of a blood moon in 2021.  I hope i see  it; one way or another. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

"life is but a dream"... I really believe you accomplished exactly what you set out to do...

@Mel HopkinsYou know that old "round" song which that line is taken from?  For years, i never realized  what a deep metaphor of life its lyrics are. Check it out.

Row, row, row your boat,

Gently down the stream, 

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, 

Life is but a dream...

@TroyLast night i bundled up and went out for a few minutes to look at the post eclipsed full moon and - "communed" with it, talking to it like the old friend that it is.  As usual, after staring at it for a while, my eyes played tricks on me and an optical illusion took over as a second moon appeared. In my thoughts i mused that seeing 2 moons was just as phenomenal as an eclipse, and i think the moon understood. Then i blinked and shifted back into my one dimensional world.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Troy said:

below is a photo I took of the moon last night again it was just so bright it filled my house with moonbeams 🙂

@TroyThat is awesome!

I did too! but my pic is nothing like yours. I took a pic of it eclipsing with my phone and two of them actually came out pretty good. I was surprised. 

7 hours ago, Cynique said:

There will be another lunar eclipse of a blood moon in 2021.  I hope i see  it; one way or another. 

yes, there will be more! I dozed off too and bolted up... I've missed some before because I couldn't stay awake. 

I missed this past recent meteor shower. But it supposedly only lasted an hour and heard it was cloudy anyway. 

I've seen a few meteors but one of the most amazing things I've seen in the sky was just a few months ago when I looked up and saw an actual COMET!
It looked like a huge bright orange/yellow ball with a sparkling tail and seemed to have come out of "nowhwere"....went across the sky...and went back into "nowhere".  It probably just briefly entered the Earth's atmosphere enough to flash itself and then went back out.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2019 at 4:06 AM, Troy said:

if you can post you photo.

@TroyI don't know if it is worth it, because after I took pics, I have to enlarge it in order to see it, but I will experiment to see if I can. 

13 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I looked up and saw an actual COMET!

Now that is a rare treat!

Years ago, I sa a comet too, because of the news reports. This comet stayed in the sky and was viewable for weeks and even during the day time for some viewers. 

On 1/23/2019 at 4:06 AM, Troy said:

I saw a meteor shower once. I got the entire family up and we drove about 30 minutes outside of the city. It was the most amazing site.

I agree. Back in the early 2000s, I did too. I was able to see this meteor shower viewing it right next to my house. Me and a lot of neighborhood kids stayed out all night into the morning looking at it and it was amazing! 

The meteor shower is called the LEONIDS and was in November and it was warm enough outside so that we did not get sick, as we laid on the ground in the street looking up! 

The Northern lights, also known as the Aurora Borealis, put on an ongoing spectacle in the skies, something  i've been witnessing since i was a little girl.  I also got to observe the Hale Bopps Comet, the most famous and visible one of the 20th century, as well as Haley's Comet which shows up every 75 years. 

The regularity and predictability of these phenomenon are evidence of there being order to the universe. And how taken for granted is the regular pattern of the sun rising and setting every day.  A superior intelligence at work?  Certainly a possibility of something more profound and mysterious than the petty ego-centric god portrayed in the book of fables known as the bible.  

On 1/24/2019 at 1:21 PM, Cynique said:

The Northern lights, also known as the Aurora Borealis, put on an ongoing spectacle in the skies, something  i've been witnessing since i was a little girl. 

@CyniqueYes, I remember hearing the news report once about Aurora Borealis at some point in 2000s and, I vaguely remember it being said that this was somewhat visible, from my point-of-view in north carolina, but it would be more visible for people in the 'more' northern part of the hemisphere.

A superior intelligence at work?

I agree!

Certainly a possibility of something more profound and mysterious than the petty ego-centric god portrayed in the book of fables known as the bible.  

Yes, a lot of people believe that the Bible is 'a book of fables' like you. 

Perhaps the 'supeior intelligence at work' will one day reveal itself, but so far after thousands of years of human existence, I am not going to hold my breath that 'it' will up and reveal itself without some sort of script or hand us any solid proof or written proof or evidence  that will be incorporated into this American educational system, unless of course, this 'superior intelligence at work' is a White ... cause if it is any thing other than White, then it will probably be altered into being 'white' or fabled or etc.

So far, White people have not proven to me that they know the source of how the sun came to be, or how we as humans came to be or the beginning of reproduction or evolution...

So far Black people or any one else on earth has been able to solve these mysteries... 

• Like 1