Is Voting or Poitics Concerning Black People A Waste of Time?

I hear all too often that black people think that it is meaningless for us to be involved in politics because it's something we don't control. That type of thinking seems to be very popular among black people. My problem with this line of thinking is that if we never get involved in political processes, then we will never have control over anything political. In some townships where the majority of people are 80-90 percent black, it mystifies me that the politicians of these communities who make decisions for these people are white or non-black. It's like going to Africa and serving a white king. The behavior seems to be the same across the board and pretty much is not just limited to American blacks.

Let me ask, if black people were more involved in the political process in America, could that bring about more positive change in our communities?

I often wonder if black people are actually content without having political power and relying on those who are active in politics to control them. I have to ask this question because I don't understand why that behavior appears prevalent in black culture.

I also have to wonder why no black person is running for president this term. I could be missing something so perhaps this is something someone can explain. Is it all due to the way black people behave or is this something that is systematic taking place?

I'm not implying that a black person has to run for president every election though I don't see how that would not be possible with a little organizing, but what about smaller offices?

It's a discussion in the black community that never fails to mystify me. More often, I keep hearing that black people should stay away from politics altogether and build. Though that statement seems to be a contradiction. Furthermore, isn't everything that black people build dependent on our legal and political system?

Let me ask, if black people were more involved in the political process in America, could that bring about more positive change in our communities?

Yes......IF....most of us rallied around a solid agenda with well defined goals and interests.
For example, and agenda that included demanding Universal Healthcare, demanding more Africans and Carribeans be allowed to immigrate into the nation, or demanding more government grants and contracts to fund AfroAmerican businesses are all issues that would CLEARLY benefit our community.  But simply going along for the ride on someone else's agenda (gay marriage, legalizing marijuana, border wall funding, ect.....) is a waste of time and effort.

I personally want to see more AfroAmerican representation at the STATE level like Governor and state Legislators because this is where the majority of policies that immediately impact our communities are made.