Reality vs Perception

7 hours ago, Delano said:

How do you tell the difference? 

You can't tell the difference.

Perception is reality.  Any changes in one's perception must come from external sources, provided one is open to receiving new information

Here is the video Del linked to 

• Like 1

Yeah, interesting question. I like the parking lot example in the video but still, as @Troy said, I don't think you can tell the difference, at least not right away. For example, if someone is taking advantage of you, it's not easy to be sure that this is true, right away. I think sometimes 'the masses of common people' have been conditioned by the government to NOT believe that things are bad, when in fact, it is bad and by the time we see the truth, then we, the masses, go from being like in a stupor to being aggressive. We've been given a false 'perception' and conditioned or 'dumbed down' to NOT perceive things as being bad and this only makes it worse. So when the reality kicks in that we've been 'had' by the government, they have consistenly been putting out more false perceptions by-and-by so as to ensure that when some of us do come to the REALITY we will be re-routed to attack other sub-groups, while the small group of 'leaders' sit back and continue to have a comfortable lifestyle. This is what I think about regarding this topic.

I remember how, the movie, 'the Wizard of Oz' was aired, in color, so as to give the masses the perception that things were good, all the while, people were lined up in bread lines. And board games like Monopoly became used as a ploy to help people perceive that all was well during a time of crisis. 

Perception is real, whether what you perceive is accurate has to involve a consensus of other witnesses.  

9 hours ago, Chevdove said:

I remember how, the movie, 'the Wizard of Oz' was aired, in color, so as to give the masses the perception that things were good, all the while, people were lined up in bread lines. And board games like Monopoly became used as a ploy to help people perceive that all was well during a time of crisis. 

The Wizard of Oz  came out in 1939 at the end of The Depression, and it doesn't turn into technicolor until Dorothy wakes up in OZ where the tornado has blown her.  The movie starts out in sepia color.   I saw the first release of it in 1939 when i was a little girl.   

• Like 1

My position has evolved. Everyone's reality is different. For me 2+2=4 is objectively and subjectively true. 

For you, this may not be the case. If you believed the answer was 3 that is your reality, both objective and subjective

From my perspective, the answer of 3 is your subjective reality.

15 hours ago, Cynique said:

The Wizard of Oz  came out in 1939 at the end of The Depression, and it doesn't turn into technicolor until Dorothy wakes up in OZ where the tornado has blown her.  The movie starts out in sepia color.   I saw the first release of it in 1939 when i was a little girl.   

That's it! 

Reality is the object and perception is simply a perspective OF that object.

We can't say all perceptions are reality because some perceptions are erroneous and based on a mind that could be impaired by drugs or mental illness. Other misperceptions are based on false or limited information.
For millenia many people believed that the Earth was flat. That was THEIR perspective of the Earth based on their limited information, despite the reality being much different.

Therefore, if we really want to observe ourselves and find out what we are, we are really beings of energy and vibration, radiating our own unique energy signature -this is fact and is what quantum physics has shown us time and time again. We are much more than what we perceive ourselves to be, and it’s time we begin to see ourselves in that light. If you observed the composition of an atom with a microscope you would see a small, invisible tornado-like vortex, with a number of infinitely small energy vortices called quarks and photons. These are what make up the structure of the atom. As you focused in closer and closer on the structure of the atom, you would see nothing, you would observe a physical void. The atom has no physical structure, we have no physical structure, physical things really don’t have any physical structure! Atoms are made out of invisible energy, not tangible matter

The above is from this page 

https://www.collective-evolution.com/2014/09/27/this-is-the-world-of-quantum-physics-nothing-is-solid-and-everything-is-energy/

@Delano that article is the reasin why the internet is like the wild west. People can say and do anything.

Quantum physists do not say the the marco world, the one we can see with our eyes, behaves like the quantum world, nor do the say any of it has anything to do with consciousness. 

People like ones who wrote that article are making things up and misleading people.

Troy

Everything is relative, but reality does not and cannot agree with EVERY individual's perception of it.

Take the law of gravity for example.....
If a man jumps off the Chrysler building it doesn't matter whether or not he perceives it or doubts it's existence. If he doesn't believe in it he is clearly WRONG and the REALITY of gravity will have an effect on him in just a matter of seconds despite his misperception.

Del

If I were you I wouldn't take Caucasian scientific gibberish too seriously, lol.
They put some of this shit out here simply to confound you.

2 hours ago, Delano said:

What part of the quote ,implies or makes that statement? 

It is in the article you shared, which I assume you read in its entirety. If you did, you would not have needed to ask that question

@Pioneer1 again I say it is relative.  If you put the building on the moon the result would be different -- even though the "law" has not changed. 

We can define narrow conditions in which possible outcomes are limited to the point that one simply cannot imagine a different outcome.  You call this reality. 

To the other extreme others have posited an infinite number of universes with different physical constants were the incomprehensible can take place this too is reality, albeit one may may never experience.

What is real is what we can perceive -- the example of the mentally disturbed man you  provided aside.

1 hour ago, Troy said:

It is in the article you shared, which I assume you read in its entirety. If you did, you would not have needed to ask that question

No I stopped at the relevant bit for my argument. In the future I will neither ask nor give further clarification from/to you. 

Why would you not read the entire article @Delano

When ever someone posts something from another source, if it is a subjects that interests me I always go to the original article.  If that article referees a source (if it i an article about another article which makes up so much of the stuff on the web nowadays) I'll check out the original source

More often than not, I'll discover that the person (and I'm not just talking about you) is sharing something that is actually not supported by the original source.  

When 45 asserts that "the news is fake," he is wrong the news generated by journalists is pretty good.  The problem is that we have so much less of this and much  more of what you find circulating around the web and social media: uninformed opinions on opinions or events masquerading as "news." 

Troy

again I say it is relative. If you put the building on the moon the result would be different -- even though the "law" has not changed.

I never said it wasn't relative; but relative is just an individuals position with or perception of an established reality.
How you RELATE to an object or subject doesn't change the reality of that object or subject.
Like you said the law of gravity did not change simply because HE changed environments. It still IS what it is and if he comes back to THIS atmosphere he'll have to face it again.  The moon's and Earth's atmospheres are still part of the SAME reality.

To the other extreme others have posited an infinite number of universes with different physical constants were the incomprehensible can take place this too is reality, albeit one may may never experience.

You said others have POSITED...and that's a key word.
This is the multi-verse theory, but has it been proven?
We can sit here and entertain theories all day long, but certain laws of THIS reality are constant and they rarely if ever change regardless as to how you relate to them or what your perspective of them are.

What is real is what we can perceive -- the example of the mentally disturbed man you provided aside.

Are you suggesting that a person who doesn't perceive that they are sick can not have a disease simply because they haven't acknowledged it?

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Are you suggesting that a person who doesn't perceive that they are sick can not have a disease simply because they haven't acknowledged it?

Lets not convolute things any further with mental illness.

I don't think the multiverse theory can ever be proven.

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I never said it wasn't relative; but relative is just an individuals position with or perception of an established reality.

Well that is basically my point man. an individuals perception is "their" relativity.  The perception IS their reality.  In addition there is no objective reality.  You speak about gravity, but like the multiverse it too is a theory and it is very likely to change.

People used to believe Newton's laws which implied and invisible force between objects, that was later rejected in favor of a warping of space, but our current understand of gravity fails at the quantum level and does not explain the accelerating expansion of the universe.

So you are using gravity to prove an objective reality, when we really don't have a clue what 95% of the observable universe if made of.  

Gravity as you understand it Pioneer may not be "reality," but a story we tell ourselves to make sense of the universe.  Future generation will wonder how we believed such a thing in much the same way some believed the world was flat. 

Troy

Lets not convolute things any further with mental illness.

Ofcourse not....lol.
Why introduce factors that support what I'm saying while disproving your assertions?

Because experts have agreed that severe mental illness DISTORTS a person's perceptions to the point that their beliefs about reality are clearly false; if follows that reality CAN NOT simply be basd on each individual's perception of it.
If it were, the concept of someone being mental illness wouldn't exist because they would just be in alignment with their own reality.

I don't think the multiverse theory can ever be proven.

If it is true (and I believe it is), I think it could atleast be proven on an INDIVUAL basis by each individual verifying the existence of other universes for themselves.

Well that is basically my point man. an individuals perception is "their" relativity. The perception IS their reality.

No no no....it's their relativity but NOT "their" reality.
That reality is not theirs exclusively but is shared.
They....we...are in the SAME reality but with different perceptions of it based on our relativity to it.

So you are using gravity to prove an objective reality, when we really don't have a clue what 95% of the observable universe if made of.

Unless or until you can PROVE that whatever that 95% consists of actually CHANGES the reality and function of gravity....it's a moot point.
You are using too much speculation to defend your position that reality is subjective.

4 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Why introduce factors that support what I'm saying while disproving your assertions?

If that is the case what is stopping you from saying any old crazy thing just to make a point... ah nevermind in your case their nothing stopping you LOL!

6 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

No no no....it's their relativity but NOT "their" reality.

What? Are you confusing reality with relative LOL!  We agree that perceptions are different. I'm saying perceptions are reality. Therefore reality is relative to the perceive.  What you believe is a objective relativity is just your perception.  You are just egotistical enough to believe it THE only reality and that everyone else is delusional (or mentally ill).

10 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Unless or until you can PROVE that whatever that 95% consists of actually CHANGES the reality and function of gravity.

That is just the point no one can "prove" it. They just know our understanding of gravity does not explain it.  This is true for the quantum world too. 

Man if it were not for books you'd be running looking for a virgin to sacrifice to placate the Gods who have brought cold weather to your area.  What do you know really know about reality?

• Like 1

Troy

If that is the case what is stopping you from saying any old crazy thing just to make a point... ah nevermind in your case their nothing stopping you LOL!

Regardless as to how crazy it sounds, if it supports my point and you can't dispute it.....then it's valid.
Do you disagree with all of the psychiatrist and psychologists who say that mental illness is a DISTORTED perception of reality and now make the claim instead that schizophrenics are not sick but simply live in another world with another reality?

We agree that perceptions are different. I'm saying perceptions are reality. What you believe is a objective relativity is just your perception.

Again, PERCEPTION is not the same as REALITY. It's an INTERPRETATION of reality based on one's physical senses and intellect....or lack there of.
Again, another example............

If I place a rock infront of you while you're walking,  that rock IS infront of you whether you SEE it (perceive it) or not.
Just because you don't perceive that rock it doesn't mean it's not there nor does it mean you won't stumble over it if you aren't careful. 
You, me, and the rock are all in the SAME reality despite YOUR perspective or lack there of.

They just know our understanding of gravity does not explain it.

OK?
Different understandings or even LACK OF ANY understanding of gravity doesn't change the laws of gravity or the fact that it exists.
It just means that the original understandings may have been wrong.

Reality doesn't change UNLESS a new factor is introduced.  But a change in PERCEPTION of that same reality would allow you to see it from a different perspective and thus gain knowledge and insight of that which already existed.

The bottom line is, perception isn't YOUR reality....it's simply YOUR perception OF reality.
Outside of the multiverse theory....reality itself is CENTRAL and various perspectives and perceptions revolve around it.

Pioneer's belief that he is right, is a perception. His inability to convince me he is right, is reality.   

11 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

The bottom line is, perception isn't YOUR reality....it's simply YOUR perception OF reality.
Outside of the multiverse theory....reality itself is CENTRAL and various perspectives and perceptions revolve around it.

This is the bottom line. Since you haven't proved that multi-universes don't exist, your conclusions are meaningless.  And, puleeze.  If it's your perception of reality, it is your reality. There's no difference between the two. In reality, i agree with Troy.

11 hours ago, Cynique said:

This is the bottom line. Since you haven't proved that multi-universes don't exist, your conclusions are meaningless.  And, puleeze.  If it's your perception of reality, it is your reality.

So if a person has a tumor but they don't perceive it......is that tumor not part of their reality?

12 minutes ago, Troy said:

That's right @Pioneer1. If one can't perceive something, and has not learned of it in any other way, that is the very definition of what makes it part of one's reality.

It is really quite a simple concept; I'm not sure why you are struggling with it. 

When you say "that's right".....are you saying that if a person has a tumor but doesn't perceive it then it's NOT part of their reality?

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Well, let's go to the Oxford Dictionary.....

See there you go again running to the white man book LOL for validation!

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

The state of things as they actually exist

As Cynque says you are mixing apples with oranges and resorting to you old tactic of moving change your argument.  You started with gravity and when I explain that gravity is not reality but a story well tell ourselves until we learn more. Now you are on to a tumors -- what else is next?

Dude what do you know about what actually exists or real  -- other than what someone else has told you? You decide what is real and was is false.  We all do it.  I tell you the dress is blue and you swear it is gold.  Some believe the end of the world is upon us and others think that is utter nonsense.  One Dr. says it is a malignant tumor and another Dr. say it is a benign mass.  What is the reality?  Flip a coin.

Lurkers:
I know.....
But I'm not expecting concession, or even agreement.
At this point, it's just entertainment.....lol.

Cynique

the tumor is reality, it is not his reality until he realizes he has it.

If the tumor is reality, then WHOSE reality is it before he realizes it?

Troy

See there you go again running to the white man book LOL for validation!

Well hell, the White man INVENTED the word "reality" so ofcourse I'll go to his dictionary to find out the definition!
Now if we discuss a word YOU or another Black man invented, then we'll go to the Black man's dictionary ....lol.

Dude what do you know about what actually exists or real -- other than what someone else has told you? You decide what is real and was is false. We all do it. I tell you the dress is blue and you swear it is gold.

OK.
Then will you finally agree with me that RACE is real and exists even if it's not a part of your personal reality?

Something tells me that you don't take this same attitude about the fluidity of reality when it comes to your personal finances, lol.

10 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

If the tumor is reality, then WHOSE reality is it before he realizes it?

Perception is an individual's subjective view of reality. Nobody possesses reality.  It belongs to itself.  A person's perception of reality belongs to him.  If this perception coincides with reality, then the perception that is his, becomes reality.   😮   

Cynique

Perception is an individual's subjective view of reality.
Agreed.
Which is why I said a few days ago  "perception
is not the same as reality. It's an INTERPRETATION of reality"

Nobody possesses reality. It belongs to itself.
A person's perception of reality belongs to him.

Again, I agree and I've been saying THIS all through out this thread; however both YOU and TROY have been preaching the opposite!
Infact, you just said:  "If it's your perception of reality, it is your reality."  and  "it is not his reality until he realizes he has it."

If no one possesses reality, then why are you using possessive pronounce like YOUR and HIS to describe it?
It cannot belong to itself AND be "yours" and "his" at the same time.
You're contradicting yourself.

If this perception coincides with reality, then the perception that is his, becomes reality

Well......
As much as you and Troy claim to agree with eachother this statement disagrees with Troy's position....being that perception IS reality (according to his reasoning there is no need to determine "if" perception coincides with reality because both are the same). But I'm not going to drill you on Troy's beliefs; you have enough contradictions of your own and answer for.

2 hours ago, Cynique said:

Perception is an individual's subjective view of reality. 

Full stop. 

12 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Then will you finally agree with me that RACE is real

No! 

Gravity, tumors and now race, where will it end?  Pioneer race is also a story we tell ourselves.  In my reality (one shared with most informed, thinking people) there is only one race.  In your version of the world, there are multiple races -- despite the fact that view is not supported by the current science, it is one you've adopted -- it is YOUR reality.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

If no one possesses reality, then why are you using possessive pronounce like YOUR and HIS to describe it?
It cannot belong to itself AND be "yours" and "his" at the same time.
You're contradicting yourself.

To claim or designate reality as yours or his  is not to possess it.  If what is claimed or designated  as "his" or "yours" is indeed reality, that does't mean that they possess that reality. Their perceptions have simply been verified. 

Troy

Man how in the WORLD (this world or any other world....lol) can you sit there and say "full stop" to Cynique's statement that perception is a person's subjective VIEW OF reality.....when all day long you've been preaching that perception IS reality?

In the 1st page you said: 
"You can't tell the difference.  Perception is reality. Any changes in one's perception must come from external sources, provided one is open to receiving new information "  ttps://aalbc.com/tc/topic/5680-reality-vs-perception/

How do you reconcile these two opposing positions?

Either perceptions IS reality or it's a VIEW OF reality, which one will it be?

In my reality (one shared with most informed, thinking people) there is only one race. In your version of the world, there are multiple races -- despite the fact that view is not supported by the current science, it is one you've adopted -- it is YOUR reality.

Well if multiple races are part of MY reality, then how can you say "no" to my question?
Multiple races ARE real according YOUR OWN theory of reality being own's perspective!

Cynique

To claim or designate reality as yours or his is not to possess it.

I agree that claiming reality as "yours" or "his" doesn't mean you posses it, because it's my position that the individual actually doesn't actually possess reality but that it stands independent of them. But "yours" and "his" are indeed possessive words that imply this very idea.

It's like saying "your truth" instead of "the truth".
Lol, if you asked for the truth and someone gave you "their truth" how much trust would you put in it?

If what is claimed or designated as "his" or "yours" is indeed reality, that does't mean that they possess that reality. Their perceptions have simply been verified.

To say that their perceptions have been VERIFIED suggests that some perceptions could be inaccurate, not true, not real.
Is that correct?

Troy

So we can push all this talk about "more knowledgeable" and "smarter" and "better looking" people to the side for now......
But if it exists in a person's reality....according to you it exists; so you now basically AGREE with me and others that there ARE multiple races.

4 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

To say that their perceptions have been VERIFIED suggests that some perceptions could be inaccurate, not true, not real.
Is that correct?

That's been established  but it doesn't affect reality.  My final conclusion on this subject is what, as much of a cliche as it is, always applies.  As far as reality goes, "it is what it is."  

BTW, not all pronouns are "possessive", there are other parts of speech known as "adjective pronouns" which modify nouns for clarity.