27 Degrees Below Zero -- WTF?!

Hey @Cynique, I'm listening to the news and I heard a report saying that Chicago may reach temperatures lower than -27 degrees!  Did I hear that correctly?  Negative 27!  Those are the kind of temperatures when car batteries die, pipes burst, and being outside without proper gear is simply lethal. 

Is it as bad as the national news makes it sound?

@Troy I guess you missed this paragraph that appeared in my  response to you in the "black woman are beautiful" thread. I wrote:  "Excuse me, while I go look out the window at the pure snow that is inundating my environment as the temperatures plunge into record-breaking sub-zero degrees. They're talking about it on the TV, brainwashing the dumb audience with subliminal suggestions in order to make them think they need shovels."  😝   

• Haha 2

The coldest temperature the city has ever seen was -27 degrees, which happened onJan. 20, 1985.

The forecast low for Wednesday is 22 below-zero. The coldest high temperature for Jan. 30 in

Chicago history is three degrees above zero, so the area could smash several cold-related

records in the coming days.21 hours ago

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/cold-chicago-area-illinois-weather-forecast-504976991.html

Chicago Could See One of the

Coldest Days on Record This Week

The forecast high temperature for Wednesday in Chicago is -15 degrees

Published Jan 28, 2019 at 12:50 PM | Updated at 11:13 PM CST on Jan 28, 2019

With wind chill values reaching as low as -60 degrees and temperature highs

staying well-below zero, the Chicago area is set to see one of its coldest days on record this week. 

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/cold-chicago-area-illinois-weather-forecast-504976991.html

Yes it's going to be cold, but all of this "record breaking this....." and " coldest in a generation that...." is a bunch of media-hyped up bullshit.
The Winter or 2013/2014 that we had just 5 years ago was much worse with SUSTAINED tempuratures of 30-40 BELOW zero for days at a time!  I think they're taking advantage of the short term collective memory of the American people by making every cold snap seem like the worst they've ever seen. 

29 minutes ago, Cynique said:

What is to be gained by the media misleading people about the weather??  

Fear mongering.
It also supports the "sign of the times" narrative being promoted by the media for the past 30 years or so.  Theu aim this mostly at their  Christian fundamentalist audience in the United States who routinely believe that any change in the weather or any other major unusual event signals the end of the world.
Ooooooh.....every eclipse, every earthquake, every cold snap is the BIG ONE :o

1 hour ago, Cynique said:

What is to be gained by the media misleading people about the weather?? 

I attracts listeners and keeps the audience engaged. Which means more ad dollars.

Here I am in Florida and I know Australia is drying up and Chicago is freezing.  

The government shut down was the worst. Everyday I had to hear how many days the giverment was shut down. Who cares if it was 23, 14 or 37 days? It is like hearing the Dow Jones Industrial Average everyday. The daily number is useless information but we gotta here it. 

@Pioneer1 the end times draw nigh. Repent before it is too late.

Every local news program has a weather forecast, rain or shine. People tune to their favorite news channels routinely every day and watch this segment.   Even if this wasn't the case, extraordinary weather is "news" so why wouldn't it be covered??  You guys are so quick to remind me that everybody is not  like me.   You also might consider that everybody isn't like you, either.  Many are able to survive adequately without being  in a constant state of suspicion and paranoia, ever on the lookout  for sinister forces tracking your every move in order to control your mind - something you know about because you are "in the know".  Wooooo.   Maybe you  ought to learn how to tune out what you don't want to hear on the news,  - like people with average intelligence do.   You apparently aren't doing it because you are too busy listening to what you don't want to hear.  

I don't consume social media or watch broadcast TV. I do listen to the radio. Short of dropping off the grid I'm not sure how i could have avoided the "news" telling me the number of days in the government shutdown.

So it is cold in Chicago? why should the folks down here, many of whom have never been north of the mason dixon, care? Why is this news? How do we benefit from the info?

I have the radio on because some of the information i get is useful (like my local weather report) so i don't tune it out and I just put up with the unless info, like the closing value of the s&p 500.

2 hours ago, Troy said:

So it is cold in Chicago? why should the folks down here, many of whom have never been north of the mason dixon, care? Why is this news? How do we benefit from the info?

The same reason people who have never flown in a plane, are interested when a plane crashes.  It's out of the ordinary.  It's news.  People like the ones you describe, those who don't care about such things get what they deserve if the choose  to connect themselves with places that disperse noteworthy events.  

6 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Fear mongering.
It also supports the "sign of the times" narrative being promoted by the media for the past 30 years or so.  Theu aim this mostly at their  Christian fundamentalist audience in the United States who routinely believe that any change in the weather or any other major unusual event signals the end of the world.
Ooooooh.....every eclipse, every earthquake, every cold snap is the BIG ONE :o

Who's any more of a fear monger than people like you who are constantly bombarding others with warnings about the dire circumstances of being brainwashed.  :o

Troy

I remember on 9-11 I was working with a young man who was a very religious Christian and as we were watching the buildings on television he turned to me and said "Jesus is coming back".

Those who do marketing research  know that a large pecentage of American people are fundamentalist Christian. They believe the world is going to end and Jesus is coming back soon, so every major disaster whether natural or man-made actully ELATES some of them because they see it as bringing the planet one step closer to complete destruction which they feel must happen before "glory" comes.

why should the folks down here, many of whom have never been north of the mason dixon, care?

During the times I lived down South I met a suprisingly large number of adults who had NEVER left the South before!
They'll move from Alabama to Texas to South Carolina to Florida all while never considering Pennsylvania, Utah, or Oregon.
But a large number never even left their state, nor did they have a desire to.

Cynique

Even if this wasn't the case, extraordinary weather is "news" so why wouldn't it be covered??

What's so "extraodrinary" about it being cold in January?

If you got this weather in JUNE....now THAT would be news worthy! 

Many are able to survive adequately without being in a constant state of suspicion and paranoia, ever on the lookout for sinister forces tracking your every move in order to control your mind - something you know about because you are "in the know". Wooooo.

Well, everyone SHOULD be "in the know" by now since Mark Zuckerburg told you this is what he's doing!
When he sat before congress and testified under oath that social media like Facebook is tracking your every move and monitoring you to build a profile of you he pretty much confirmed  suspicions.

49 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

The same reason when a track star breaks the record for the 100 yard dash. It deserves special attention. Chicagoland  today is literally a ghost town.  Shut down.  Frozen stiff.  OHare and Midway airports at a stand still, the polar bears at Brookfield Zoo have disappeared from view.  No Postal, UPS FedEx deliveries. all schools closed just to name a few of the services  and businesses and public offices that are all shut down. People know this because the TV stations are making these interesting facts  known.    It figures that you would try to down play the situation because if an event doesn't register with your frozen brain, you think it should be ignored. If Farrakhan came outside and saw his shadow, you would pee on yourself and beg him to look at how extraordinary your frozen urine looks.

7 hours ago, Troy said:

OK @Cynique what are the dire consequences of avoiding social media and the news on TV?

None.  Everybody is free to ignore what's going on in the world around them and content themselves with focusing on whatever else scares them shitless. 

23 minutes ago, Cynique said:

If Farrakhan came outside and saw his shadow, you would pee on yourself and beg him to look at how extraordinary your frozen urine looks.

Nah....
"Pee-sicles" sound like something YOU'D be more interested in seeing (and making)....lol.

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Nah....
"Pee-sicles" sound like something YOU'D be more interested in seeing (and making)....lol.

Uh-uh.  Your teenie-weenie is tailor-made for whipping out in public, not to mention your lewd mentality. 

• Haha 1

@Cynique I'll agree that the current weather event in Chicagoland is newsworthy.  I actually never did not think it was, which is why I started the thread.  The larger point I was making subsequently is that much of what is reported as "News" is not news worthy. 

More importantly, the non-stop barrage of exaggerated, sensationalized, even fake information of little consequence that we call "news," is detrimental to our society.  

Cynique, you grew up in a world before TVs were in every home. For most of your adult life social media did not exist. You discount this difference as inconsequential, but i assure you it is not for the people who grew up in an time when they know nothing else but constant access to marketers who understand their motivations better they themselves do.

@Cynique I asked you previously if you thought that the fact that many people are tied to their phones 24/7 is bad or good  Did you  ever answer that question?  What do you think? Please forget the fact that you and I are not tied to our phones; I'm sure you must know people who are.

2 hours ago, Troy said:

I asked you previously if you thought that the fact that many people are tied to their phones 24/7 is bad or good  Did you  ever answer that question?  What do you think? Please forget the fact that you and I are not tied to our phones; I'm sure you must know people who are.

In my world, i am not around people who are shackled to their phones.  I don't hang out with young folks, and the older ones I  come in contact with are not obsessed with their phones. My grandchildren put their phones down long enough to update me on everything going on in their lives when they drop in for visits. That's pretty much the same with my kids.  I don't know what they do elsewhere but I'm sure they are typical in their phone habits.   So, as a senior citizen, i am not someone to testify about peoples' obsessions with their phones.  Everybody says this is a terrible thing but i think this situation is the inevitable consequence of advancing technology.

2 hours ago, Troy said:

More importantly, the non-stop barrage of exaggerated, sensationalized, even fake information of little consequence that we call "news," is detrimental to our society.  

Cynique, you grew up in a world before TVs were in every home. For most of your adult life social media did not exist. You discount this difference as inconsequential, but i assure you it is not for the people who grew up in an time when they know nothing else but constant access to marketers who understand their motivations better they themselves do.

Maybe this generation wouldn't be so eager to escape into the cyber universe of social media if the real world was a better place. And i'm still not convinced that people are totally clueless about  the misleading hype of news reporting. They just don't care.  They blow it off.  They prefer exhilaration and instant gratification to the alternative of drab disciplined ordinary lives.  They don't want bread, they want cake.  They don't want water, they want sparkling champagne. Fake news amuses them.  When they get old, then they become more sensible and discerning. Such is life.  

2 hours ago, Cynique said:

Maybe this generation wouldn't be so eager to escape into the cyber universe of social media if the real world was a better place. 

Is the world really so bad off today compared to the past?  While you may not have suffered under the weight of Jim Crow, you are old enough to know large scale wars and the death and rationing that came with it.  You remember the fear of pending nuclear annihilation that drove many to build bomb shelters.  You are old enough to remember how diseases like whopping cough and polio ravaged the country...

What did people do for kicks back then? Is being locked to a cell phone 24/7 a better diversion than what people did 25 years ago and earlier.

I spent my time playing out doors -- all sorts of games like tag and basketball.  I watched TV for a couple for hours on Saturday morning (cartoons) and after that I was in the streets playing.

Keep in mind I'm not a Luddite or a technophobe.  I'm sure I understand and have used social media more than most and I'm absolutely better versed on web based technologies. I also get out and travel the country extensively. Perhaps this is why I see things differently than you and the people you encounter on a daily basis. I, objectively, have a much broader perspective on this issue than most people.

...I guess we will have to continue to disagree about the adverse impact of  social media and the like.

The only thing I thought was really "extraordinary" about what's happening in Chicago was the report that the transit authority is setting the train tracks on fire to make sure the commuter trains run properly. I thought that was interesting, everything else was pretty much business as usual for a typical Great Lakes winter.  Like I said, if this starts happening in JUNE then it'll be something to talk about but until then..........

Troy

Is the world really so bad off today compared to the past?

I think for most younger people it actually IS worse off today than it was 30 or 40 or 50 years ago; there're just more gadgets and gizmos to DISTRACT them from their concerns....which was probably the goal anyway.
Your son has autism, you only make $13 an hour,  and neither of you have healthcare.....but you have the latest I-Pad!!! WOO HOO!!

Most Millenials aren't making enough to take care of themselves as well as their grandparents were, most of them have inadequate health insurance, and they tend to take more mental medication to help them cope with their realities.  The only things  Millenials have today that is arguably better than their grandparents is more sexual freedom (along with more sexual confusion) .

Cynique

Your teenie-weenie is tailor-made for whipping out in public

My "tail" isn't TAILored, it's all natural....lol.
And if something must be "whipped" out it certainly isn't teenie-weenie but most likely long and lanky.

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I think for most younger people it actually IS worse off today than it was 30 or 40 or 50 years ago

Maybe you are right Pioneer; In some ways I do think I was better off than kids, of the same social class and environment, are today.  I think playing outside is much more fun than anything a kid could do on a cell phone.

In @Cynique's day I heard a couple could buy a home, raise a family, own two cars, send their kids to college, take a vacation and retire -- all on one salary.  Today at least in NYC you need a roommate, you can't afford a car, and both you and you parents are buried in student loan debt --  forget about owning a home. Best one can hope for is a parent to die and leave you their house.

Maybe social media and all the trivial "news" it spews is huge virtual pacifier placating what would otherwise be rampant human misery.

Troy

We don't need to go that far back.....
I can't speak about New York because it has a different economy and you've always had to be a hustler there, but in Detroit back in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and early 80s MOST AfroAmericans were not only getting married and raising families but also buying houses and new cars by the time they got to their mid-20s.

If you find someone who wasn't doing this they were in the minority (less than 20%) and usually they were either mentally disabled from birth or addicted to drugs and alcohol preventing them from holding down a job or using their money wisely but MOST AfroAmericans were independant and living better than today.  Infact, on the other end of the specturm about 20% of AfroAmericans did so well they could actually buy property and go into business for themselves!

This is what I've witnessed MYSELF in the 70s and 80s...not what I read from some lying economist or history revisionist.

17 hours ago, Troy said:

... in Cynique's day I heard a couple could buy a home, raise a family, own two cars, send their kids to college, take a vacation and retire -- all on one salary.

Really? This wasn't true during The Depression which ended in the 1940s when WW II began and  bolstered the economy.  And this business about living the America dream sure wasn't true about black folks living on one salary.  Most black women did work outside the home if they wanted all of these amenities you mentioned. They toiled as maids and in factories  or on civil service jobs if they didn't have a profession. Plus, home loans weren't that easy  to secure because banks discriminated against blacks. Vacations?  The black version of a summer vacation was driving down south - or up north to visit relatives. 2 cars? Not on one salary. Things did gradually get better after the civil rights movement around the '70s. Life was different from today and various scenarios came into play among the masses, depending where they lived.  But progress brought with it a new set of problems, more stressful ones. When people became more affluent they wanted to give their kids all of the advantages they as parents never had.  Unfortunately, this idea spawned a generation of pampered brats who grew up with a sense of entitlement and inflated self esteem. Once they went out into the real world, the frustration began and as computerization dehumanized things the problems expanded.  Maybe the tide will turn when the offspring of today's phone junkies grow up, decide to reject their parents' lifestyles and get back to basics, detaching themselves from hand-held devices  and abandoning social media. Who knows?  Perhaps modern society will simply implode, return to square one and get it right this time.  

On 1/29/2019 at 1:49 PM, Troy said:

Minus 60 windchill! Forget millennials, few people on Earth have seen temperatures that low.

LOL! Thank you! I haven't confirmed it myself, but my relative told me that Chicago is significantly colder than Antarctica! NOw that is newsworthy IMO.

On 1/29/2019 at 2:13 PM, Pioneer1 said:

I think they're taking advantage of the short term collective memory of the American people by making every cold snap seem like the worst they've ever seen. 

Yes, me too, to a certain extent. I belive 'they' are opportunist though, and insert useless diversions from issues that are important though.

On 1/29/2019 at 7:06 PM, Pioneer1 said:

It also supports the "sign of the times" narrative being promoted by the media for the past 30 years or so.  Theu aim this mostly at their  Christian fundamentalist ...

Oh no. this is not only aimed at the Christian fundamentalist, but it is also hyped up information to assist in 'their' agents who promote 'their' agenda to keep the masses dumbed down, whether it is Christian fundamentalist or others.

On 1/29/2019 at 7:06 PM, Pioneer1 said:

every eclipse, every earthquake, every cold snap is the BIG ONE

@Pioneer1 LOL! The BIG WHAT!? 

On 1/29/2019 at 8:12 PM, Troy said:

Who cares if it was 23, 14 or 37 days? It is like hearing the Dow Jones Industrial Average everyday. The daily number is useless information but we gotta here it. 

Yeah, it's useless information to me, but I suppose some people are harmed and may lose jobs, but I don't really understand these daily DOW Jones numbers either.

21 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

..."Jesus is coming back".

Those who do marketing research  know that a large pecentage of American people are fundamentalist Christian. They believe the world is going to end and Jesus is coming back soon, so every major disaster whether natural or man-made actully ELATES some of them because they see it as bringing the planet one step closer to complete destruction which they feel must happen before "glory" comes.

LOL That is not Christian fundamentalism, but that is the government successfully causing people to believe in lies and not read to confirm these lies. I don't recall the scripures stating that there will be a finite end to the world. That is what many have been spoon fed by human leaders that they worship. From what I remember, the scriptues say that a third of the earth will be destroyed. Many people worship this system of White Supremacy and have been duped into pushing their false propaganda; both Christian fundalmentalist and those that attack these people are doing the job for the government of keeping the masses under control.

"Jesus is coming back soon,..."

I hope so!!!

21 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

@Pioneer1 It's not that it is so cold in January, but it is about scientist tracking GLOBAL RECORDS. It's about record keeping and seeing real recordable data.

Record keeping is how all civilizations are defined as opposed to primitive existence. You don't believe this planet has switched its poles so as to have it be cold in JUne where it may not have been? Do you believe that this planet split? You don't believe that this planet split and caused certain regions that was once in a warmer climate to be in a cold region? If this were to happen in the future, yes, it would be news worthy, but tracking weather patterns also helps scientist to understand our planet and I think this is a good thing, because it helps the governments determine how to help sustain human life based on getting an understanding of certain patterns. 

These numbers may seem insignificant to me as a common person, but it may be important to scientist who constantly keep track of patterns. 

• Like 1

Chev

LOL! The BIG WHAT!?

Take your pick, lol.
Any of a number of big events that they claim will end the world and bring the "rapture" or the return of Jesus.....so they believe.

It's not that it is so cold in January, but it is about scientist tracking GLOBAL RECORDS. It's about record keeping and seeing real recordable data.

Record keeping is how all civilizations are defined as opposed to primitive existence. You don't believe this planet has switched its poles so as to have it be cold in JUne where it may not have been? Do you believe that this planet split? You don't believe that this planet split and caused certain regions that was once in a warmer climate to be in a cold region? If this were to happen in the future, yes, it would be news worthy, but tracking weather patterns also helps scientist to understand our planet and I think this is a good thing, because it helps the governments determine how to help sustain human life based on getting an understanding of certain patterns.

These numbers may seem insignificant to me as a common person, but it may be important to scientist who constantly keep track of patterns.

I don't have a problem with them keeping records, I have a problem with them sensationalizing everything in order to instill fear in the minds of the masses and manipulate them into falling in line with their agenda of social division and exploitation.

For the last 3 days all you've heard in the media is "record breaking this" and "record breaking that"....but when you look at the actual records that they've kept they say that it hasn't been this cold SINCE "18----"   or  "19----".   Which tells me no records are actually being broken and it HAS been colder than this before, but they are sensationalizing THIS cold snap to make it seem as if there's never been anything like it since humanity.

29 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

I don't have a problem with them keeping records, I have a problem with them sensationalizing everything in order to instill fear in the minds of the masses and manipulate them into falling in line with their agenda of social division and exploitation.

@Pioneer1 Yes, me too. I think that they are sensationalizing everything and not teaching us the specific details. And, people in general will try to make sense of it but without understanding the true facts. 

33 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Which tells me no records are actually being broken and it HAS been colder than this before, but they are sensationalizing THIS cold snap

I guess that is part of their 'sensationalizing' though, to make it appear that records have been broken and etc. But scientist also look at certain patterns that the media hype don't care about. 

35 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

to make it seem as if there's never been anything like it since humanity.

Yeah, I guess this 'picture they paint' is for their benefit. Population control.