LAST FRIDAY MY GPS LED ME TO A CORNFIELD! Are the Magnetic Poles Shifting?

LAST FRIDAY MY GPS LED ME TO A CORNFIELD! Are the Magnetic Poles Shifting? 

Last Friday, I was on my way to attend a funeral service and so, I used my GPS to locate the church. The destination was only about a fifteen-minute drive from my relative’s home. I had never had any problem prior to this day when I used my GPS to navigate in this area. But since I had never been to this church and wanted to arrive on time, I used my GPS as a safeguard. However, it led me in a ‘wild goose chase’ so-to-speak’. After driving for about ten minutes on one road, then I was signaled to make a left turn at a turnabout and then after one mile, the GPS signaled for me to make a right turn on a certain road. But something looked wrong. It was an unpaved country road and on both sides of this dirt road was nothing but a large expanse of farm fields.

But even though this road did not appear to be accurate, I slowed down until the GPS stated, .2 miles, .1 miles, … 200 ft, … 50 ft. I saw no church, but across the fields was a big barn and behind it, a couple of large houses. But I made a right turn anyway, and the GPS signaled for me to make a left and then an immediate right and the computer voice said that was my destination. It led me to the front door of that big barn in an open field. So, I thought, “Umh, this isn’t good!” LOL. I didn’t see any church in the vicinity. This had never happened before even when it had rained and the clouds were thick. My GPS had always been precise.

So, my other passengers in the car and I decided to drive back to the main road and to see if the GPS would re-calculate of which it did. As soon as we made a right turn back onto the main road, the GPS signaled for me to make a left turn at the next street. But that was weird because, now, the GPS was leading us into a complete opposite direction. And, then after .2 miles, it signaled for me to make a right turn but, there was NO ROAD! It was just a pull off area that was only large enough for perhaps one car and then trees. So, I decided to drive onward for a few yards, and then the GPS signaled only a few feet from that point to make a left turn at the next street and the computer voice said that the destination was immediately on the left. However, we did not see any church at all! All that we saw were a few houses. So, I continued down a few yards slowly and came to an intersection and pulled over to the right of the roadway and stopped. We decided to call the church, but the phone went to a voicemail and no one picked up. Thankfully, a car passing by came to our rescue. A woman stopped at the intersection and asked us if we needed help. We explained that we were trying to find a church and she told us that she had seen many, many cars lined up near a large church and all we needed to do was to turn around and go back to the main road and then turn left and we would be able to see all of the cars, and the police cars directing traffic and a large church. Therefore, we made a U-turn at this intersection and drove a few yards back down to the main road and we could actually see the huge crowd of cars just as soon as I turned left and back onto the main road. Ultimately, it became obvious that I never needed to make a right turn onto the dirt road that led to the barn or a left turn. But, had I kept driving straight, I would have seen the church around the bend of the road only a few yards from that dirt road! It was a large one story, well established church off the main road of which the address registered on the GPS, so why did the GPS malfunction? Well, it was only a few days later that I saw the articles on the internet about the Magnetic Pole changing of which has affected the GPS systems.

Some reports blame the Government Shutdown for the delay in releasing this information. Some scientist explain that although the Magnetic change may seem small, however, no one expected this to happen so soon and at the rage of which it has been occurring. This would not be a small matter but very significant. Some articles say that in terms of a catastrophic incident in which the Magnetic Poles changes have occurred a few times millions of years ago, the North Pole and the South Pole would actually switch. But for now, this would not be the case. However, the Magnetic liquid field change that has just occurred does show us that these changes are major and also unpredictable to some great degree. Furthermore, for Bible Believers, if though, the magnetic poles were to change, in my opinion, this would explain in part of how, in the Biblical account of the Great Deluge, the Creator communicated with certain animals to migrate towards the ark. Scientist explain that there are some animals that use the magnetic field to navigate and migrate.

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC ARTICLE

Magnetic north just changed. Here’s what that means.

Maya Wei-Hass

4hrs ago

Questions still likely abound: Why is magnetic north changing so fast? What were the impacts of the update's delay? Was there really a geologic reason Google maps sent me off course? We've got you covered.

Rocks hold geologic maps of even weirder movements of the magnetic poles, suggesting that in the last 20 million years, magnetic north and south have flipped places multiple times. This seems to happen roughly every 200,000 to 300,000 years. The exact causes behind these reversals remains uncertain. But the latest movement shouldn't have you in knots about an imminent flip.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/magnetic-north-just-changed-heres-what-that-means/ar-BBTb3iR?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=AARDHP

WASHINGTON POST ARTICLE

Earth’s Magnetic North Pole Has Shifted So Much We’ve Had to Update GPS

Wp

SARAH KAPLAN, THE WASHINGTON POST

6 FEB 2019

Scientists on Monday released an emergency update to the World Magnetic Model, which cellphone GPS systems and military navigators use to orient themselves.

But the north magnetic pole's inexorable drift suggests that something strange - and potentially powerful - is taking place deep within Earth. Only by tracking it, said University of Leeds geophysicist Phil Livermore, can scientists hope to understand what's going on.

… … Some have speculated that Earth is overdue for another magnetic field reversal - an event that hasn't happened for 780,000 years - and the North Pole's recent restlessness may be a sign of a cataclysm to come.

https://www.sciencealert.com/navigation-systems-finally-caught-up-with-the-mysteriously-north-pole-shift

15 hours ago, Delano said:

Troy worked on GPS and is an engineer. 

@Delano Yes, I do remember reading about this in this community!

Well, maybe the government needs to hire a bunch of engineers to work on thes GPS system again. 

I spoke with an engineer about this and he said that not all governments today use the GPS system in their military, but the US does as the article I posted attested. So, I guess this is significant since it affects the military.

Do you know anything about this?

What about in Australia?

@Delano I was only on the project for a year and performed functional tests.  I did not design the satellite system.  The consumer navigation systems was decades way.  So I don't know what the relationship between the the Earth's magnetic field and how Chevdove's navigation system works.

I do know GPS systems do not function like compasses.  The Earth's magnetic field is not part of the equation. Your position is determined by triangulating your position from multiple satellites (which incidentally Del time dilation needs to be factored in for accuracy).

I strongly doubt the changing position of the Earth's magnetic north was the cause of your problem @Chevdove.  I suspect it was either human error; crappy hardware or software; or an out of date map.

Lol @ Del putting Troy on the spot about his expertise.
He didn't just put him out there once, but doubled down on it.....lol.

Chev

I don't trust GPS anyway, which is why I love using MAPS.
Good ole fashioned maps. Infact, the SOUND of that GPS talking while I'm driving and trying to figure out where we are is annoying.
For whatever reason most women love GPS and hate maps and if I'm driving with one of my lady friends and we're in a place we're not familiar with friction often breaks out in the car because they want to turn on GPS and put their faith in that and I keep making them turn that shit off so I can concentrate on the streets and landmarks I'm looking for.....lol.

19 hours ago, Troy said:

I do know GPS systems do not function like compasses.  The Earth's magnetic field is not part of the equation. Your position is determined by triangulating your position from multiple satellites (which incidentally Del time dilation needs to be factored in for accuracy).

Well, the article that I posted does say that GPS systems do have something to do with the earth magnetic field. Actually, I spoke with my relative before he read any article and I posted this article and at first, like you, he said what you said. But midway between his explanation, he changed and said exactly what the article of Washington POst and National Geographic said about the GPS system being affected with the Magnetic Field.

My relative has a master's degree in Aerospace Engineering and he went into detail about TRIANGULATION and was explaining to me how this happens but again, midway through his explanation, he said what the articles did say. The articles say, what he said in that the military uses the same GPS system that SMART PHONES USE. And, I was using my smartphone.

19 hours ago, Troy said:

I suspect it was either human error; crappy hardware or software; or an out of date map.

I don't think so because the SMART PHONE GPS immediately brought up the address and everthing. And, I used it in that very area all the time for months and never had a problem. ANd more importantly, it is exactly the same time of this news breaking report. I think maybe, cloud interference, but it has been much more cloudier on so many other occasions and I never had a problem. This church is right off of the main road. I pass it by almost once a week when I drive in that direction, I just did not know it was that particular church for the funeral until, I arrived.

16 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Del putting Troy on the spot about his expertise.
He didn't just put him out there once, but doubled down on it.....lol.

okay... LOL... that's not funny!...

16 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Good ole fashioned maps. Infact, the SOUND of that GPS talking while I'm driving and trying to figure out where we are is annoying.
For whatever reason most women love GPS and hate maps and if I'm driving with one of my lady friends and we're in a place we're not familiar with friction often breaks out in the car because they want to turn on GPS and put their faith in that and I keep making them turn that shit off so I can concentrate on the streets and landmarks I'm looking for.....lol.

Okay, this is too funny because that is the same scenario in my neck of the woods! But, I was the one who, initially freaked out when it was used! I only recently converted. When my husband turned it on, and it started talking, I would flip out and demanded that he turn it off. I came up with all these excuses as to why it was useless and that it was better to use the old fashion methods of finding places. But, that was back in 2013 or so. Now, I have changed!

Slill though, I realize that the GPS will sometimes give directions that take me through all these little side routes that I hate but I have learned that it is pretty effective and gives the options of getting to a destination much faster than going in certain directions. When I would drive from North Carolina to Pennsylvania, I would complain that it would take me through all these little 'Andy Griffith towns' so that I would have to stop and buy gas there, but I came to realize, these routes were much better and faster... so I've converted but other familiy members still freak out, when it is turned on. lol.

18 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Lol @ Del putting Troy on the spot about his expertise.
He didn't just put him out there once, but doubled down on it.....lol

I am not knowledgeable in geometry, or electromagnetic properties. 

I did get Sun Mercury Einstein reference  Troy. You were correct. 

Sometimes in a discussion it's important to listen openly. 

@Delano😉

@Chevdove not all cell phones use GPS in their navigqtion systems.  Also did you actually read the article? It said unless you were in the extreme northen hemispheres the impact is negligible and that is assuming the magnetic field has any impact on cell phone nav systems  -- and that is a big if.

Clouds have no impact on the satellite systems or the earths magnetic field.

Civillian system do not have same level of accuracy as milliarty systems. Maybe when we have self driving cars, but i assure your your cell phone is not nearly as precise as a military grade system.

You should have asked your relative how the earth's magnetic field impacts your GPS system. Besides what does having an aerospace degree have do with it? I have a degree in electrical engineering which is actually more related to the subject. But you don't need a degree to understand the concepts. Since he said exactly what was in the article, please copy and o3aste the part that says cell phone GPS systems will malfunction because of the current state of the earths magnetic fields.... I'll wait....

It was just a coincidence your system failed when you heard the story.

Troy

I definately believe most men are better at giving and receiving directions as well as judging distances. I've had to many incidents with both men and women to believe any different.

Chev

When my husband turned it on, and it started talking, I would flip out and demanded that he turn it off.

Oh, were you getting jealous and didn't want your husband to get too comfortable?
Siri does indeed have a slightly "sexy" voice....lol.

When I would drive from North Carolina to Pennsylvania, I would complain that it would take me through all these little 'Andy Griffith towns' so that I would have to stop and buy gas there, but I came to realize, these routes were much better and faster...

Yes, and if there's one thing Pennsylvania has a lot of.....it's little "Andy Griffith" towns.
Despite being on the Eastcoast, most of that state is racist as hell.
I've lived in both Pennsylvania and the Carolinas and it's amazing that when you get outside of Philly or Pittsburgh you see more plaid shirts and hear more country music than I did IN the Carolinas. The only part of that state I really like is the Lancaster area with the Amish communities because of how clean and peaceful it is.

On 2/9/2019 at 10:45 PM, Troy said:

Also did you actually read the article? It said unless you were in the extreme northen hemispheres the impact is negligible and that is assuming the magnetic field has any impact on cell phone nav systems  -- and that is a big if.

Yes, I did read that part. The article(s) did say this.

You should have asked your relative how the earth's magnetic field impacts your GPS system.

He did explain this part, and broke it down, but, It is difficult for me to understand what he said, completely.

. Besides what does having an aerospace degree have do with it? I have a degree in electrical engineering which is actually more related to the subject.

I don't know, maybe nothing. However, I think that this subject matter is better suited for someone with some type of 'discipline' other than being a Home Ec major.

But you don't need a degree to understand the concepts. Since he said exactly what was in the article, please copy and o3aste the part that says cell phone GPS systems will malfunction because of the current state of the earths magnetic fields.... I'll wait....

okay, I will go back and re-read to see if I mis-understood something and then paste.

It was just a coincidence your system failed when you heard the story.

No, I don't think so. The highest part of our government having an EMERGENCY MEETING!? They stated that the MAGNETIC FIELD HAS CHANGED!?

This is obviously measurable and it was reported that Monday after this occurred to me on the past Friday. This has never happened to me before, even though I have been driving in this area for months and using my GPS. No, I don't think it was a coincidence. 

20 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

The only part of that state I really like is the Lancaster area with the Amish communities because of how clean and peaceful it is.

@Pioneer1 Okay, that's funny! That is actually where I am from, the Amish area; Lancaster area. But, it can be really racist there too.

Chev

The Amish can be racist....even against other Whites whom they call "English".
But in my opinion it's more of a "harmless" or benign racism in which they simply want to be left alone. As opposed to a malignant racism in which you seek out people of color to victimize.

When I lived in Pittsburgh I would routineley do business with Amish merchants who would come in to sell their foods and hand crafted furniture.

4 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

The Amish can be racist....even against other Whites whom they call "English".
But in my opinion it's more of a "harmless" or benign racism in which they simply want to be left alone. As opposed to a malignant racism in which you seek out people of color to victimize.

Yes, I agree. Actually, I wasn't referring to the Amish, though. I was just taling about Western Pennsylavania in general. 

3 minutes ago, Chevdove said:

Yes, I agree. Actually, I wasn't referring to the Amish, though. I was just taling about Western Pennsylavania in general. 

Yes, Western Penn seemed to be more racist and the people seemed to have more of a southern accent.
I've heard it had something to do with the Appalacia mountains or something, lol.
But like I said, I saw more plaid shirts and heard more country music there than when I was in North Carolina.

• Haha 1

@Troy 

Scientists on Monday released an emergency update to the World Magnetic Model, which cellphone GPS systems and military navigators use to orient themselves.

https://www.sciencealert.com/navigation-systems-finally-caught-up-with-the-mysteriously-north-pole-shift

I thought I posted this reference. Does it matter here, if the military uses a more detailed system? This article is stating that phone GPS system have been affected based on the Magnetic Field. So obviously the scientist are admitting that the smart phones are connected to this Magnetic Field in some say.

It's a minor change for most of us - noticeable only to people who are attempting to navigate very precisely very close to the Arctic.

Even though, I do not live near the Arctic circle, but in North America, I still had a significant issue occur, and this news just broke two days later.

But the north magnetic pole's inexorable drift suggests that something strange - and potentially powerful - is taking place deep within Earth. Only by tracking it, said University of Leeds geophysicist Phil Livermore, can scientists hope to understand what's going on.

It seems to me, this 'drift' is only being tracked recently, so scientist cannot just say, this 'drift' only affects smartphones near the arctic circle. They are only having to track this change now, because it caught them off guard. They expected to address this issue in 2020, but they are admitting that it occurred now. So, they have to deal with the issue now. 

please copy and o3aste the part that says cell phone GPS systems will malfunction because of the current state of the earths magnetic fields.... I'll wait....

Again, here is the reference:

Earth’s Magnetic North Pole Has Shifted So Much We’ve Had to Update GPS

Wp

SARAH KAPLAN, THE WASHINGTON POST

6 FEB 2019

This article is what I posted initially, and it is stating, even in the title that this has affected the GPS systems. 

And this is the other article that I posted:

Magnetic north just changed. Here’s what that means.

Maya Wei-Hass

... Was there really a geologic reason Google maps sent me off course? ...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/magnetic-north-just-changed-heres-what-that-means/ar-BBTb3iR?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=AARDHP

These articles are saying this. Or, am I missing something? They seem to be saying that the GPS systems are malfunctioning, IMO. 

4 hours ago, Chevdove said:

It's a minor change for most of us - noticeable only to people who are attempting to navigate very precisely very close to the Arctic.

Chevdove this is my point. Everything YOU'VE expressed about your malfunctioning GPS is not supported by the articles. You are overreacting and jumping to conclusions. 

It is also telling that you cite you family friend as proof and when asked about specifics you say you don't understand what he said. Do you see why, with all due respect (if you were @Pioneer1 I'd be far less delicate 😉) this is can be viewed as sloppy thinking?

Next time your phone's GPS starts acting up, simply reboot the thing.