Oscar nominations are out - "Precious" has 5 nominations

Hello All,

Carey, get ready. The Oscar nominations are out and "Precious" has won 5 nominations: Best Picture, Best Actress for Gabby, Best Supporting Actress for Mo'Nique, Best Director for Lee Daniels, and Best Adapted Screenplay for Geoffrey Fletcher (I think that's the brother's name). Now Carey, here's how its going to go down, Mo'Nique has the Best Supporting Actress sewed up, as long as she does nothing stupid or arrogant like Eddie Murphy did when he lost the Oscar for Dreamgirls. Lee Daniels becomes the second AA to be nominated for Best Director. The Oscar is going to go to Bigelow for The Hurt Locker. "Precious" could cause a couple of upset in the Adapted Screenplay and the Academy could pull a funny like they did last year when Mickey Rourke lost to Sean Penn and give it to Gabby throwing Sandra Bullock under the bus.

Well Thump, as much as I like disagreeing with you, I think you are on target. But you know what, I've never seen "Milk". So I can't speak on the Sean Pen thang. I did however enjoy Mickey Rourke.

But wait Thump, no Avatar? I mean, generally the best director award goes to the director of the best picture. Well, unless there's some "color" in the movie. The Hurt Locker was very suspenseful and the acting was tight, but I don't understand the criteria for best director?

Yes, Mo'nique is a lock. I don't remember Eddie Murphy's "supposedly" showing of his ass? You'll have to fill us in on that. Who beat him? Was he up for best actor or best supporting actor? I could google it, but that wouldn't be any fun. Any old fool can act like they know something, but you, my man, are the real deal. Now don't let your head swell, and go looking for the Real Deal Hollifield. I mean, you are good at picking movies, so don't go pick a fight with a boxing champion.

But seriously, you might be on to something. But why don't you think Ol'Julie (what's her name) is not going to sneak in there?

So, I guess we can agree that the actor from Inglorious Bastards is running away with best supporting actor, right?

Hello All,

Carey: The Best Actor Oscar race last year was the closest in a long time. While Penn won, Rourke is the one who was taking all of the other trophies up to that point. So, even though Penn deserved it, it was still a surprise and an upset.

Yeah, Christoph Waltz is going to walk away with the Oscar.

Eddie Murphy lost his Oscar due to his own arrogance. Normal folks know that you shouldn't be surprised that you're wet when you go pissing in a windstorm. Recall that a little while after the nomnations, nationwide, film critics (and others) began a campaign AGAINST Eddie saying that he did not deserve to have an Oscar based on the films he puts out (Pluto Nash, Daddy Day Care, etc). True, Murphy's movies made money, but overall, they suck! Murphy on the other hand decided to poo-poo all that noise, even though it had started to gain traction, and what did he do; even though the film company was willing to hold up release of the movie until AFTER the Oscars, Murphy went ahead and released NORBIT!! With that stupid, greedy move, Murphy gave away his Oscar and they gave it to Alan Arkin for Little Miss Sunshine. To make matters worse, Arkin won it for a film he was in all of 15 or 20 minutes or so.

Meryl may sneak in there and get it. Already the campaign has began about how long she has went between Oscar wins, but I think Sandra Bullock may be able to still get over. Now, if Gabby would form a campaign and go at it hard and use the 1.) how many black actress has been nominated for a Best Actress Oscar, 2.) already they have started with the crap that this is Gabby's first movie, if she's good she'll be back. So, she needs to campaign, why should she have to wait for an Oscar. I think that tactic help Jennifer Hudson a lot! The opportunity for a black actress to be back in the Oscar race is an IMPOSSIBLITY!! Bullock can get nominated again. Meryl Streep gets a nomination every damn year. Whoopi Goldberg is the only black actress that has been nominated twice for an Oscar. Recall that she lost The Color Purple Oscar because they used that same line of bull with her. So, her Oscar for Ghost was very much a make up Oscar. If I was Gabby, and while Obama is still in the White House, she might as well campaign like all hell and use the Oscar's non-relationship when it comes to Oscar and black actress and she may be able to pull off an upset.

Now, anymore Oscar questions Grasshopper?

Grasshopper I may be King Cobra, but you should stop wiggling in the low grass, that peyote is making you hallucinate.

If I am not mistaken, Sandra Bullock is up for a Razzie (this year). So you are trying to tell me that Eddie lost the Oscar because he released Norbit prior to the vote. Hogwash I say. Besides, Alan Arkin was great in Little Miss Sunshine. Furthermore, who sits around and counts the minutes an actor is on screen. In Pulp Fiction, who was on the screen the most, Samuel Jackson, Bruce Willis, Ving Rhanes, or John Travolta? The award goes to the Best Actor, not the one with the driest hair. I mean, standing in front of those hot lights can damage the cuticles.

Gabby can turn into Oprah, and she'd still never win. She could pass out diamond rings and refrigerators, and she would still come in last. See, you have brown butter in your eyes. Throw a black woman up there, and you faint with praise. Let it go Thump, wiggle out of that ditch weed. The woman is fortunate to even be nominated. If we take Mo'nique out of the equation, and all the other great actors, Ms. Gabby's performance pales in comparison to the rest of the nominees.

Take down that H Rap Brown poster. The awards go to the Best.

Hello all,

Carey: You done let all that loose skin and wrinkles on your forehead, fall into your eyes...messing with your vision! out of that group, Gabby gave the best performance HANDS DOWN! I done told you about coming to the table wearing a bib and a pair of knee pants, this is MAN's game you done rolled up on, son! *LOL* Now, let's start this again. I'll go slower this time so you can keep up...

"The awards go to the Best." I know you didn't say that!? All that damn belly aching you did when Halle Berry won that Oscar for Monster Ball, you had the audacity to say that "the awards go to the Best"?! Let's look at the Oscar Angela Bassett lost for What's Love Got To Do With It to Holly Hunter in The Piano. No you know good and damn well, Holly Hunter didn't do anything but play Jim Carrey making all of those damn faces! And to top it all, Dorothy Dandridge lost that Oscar to Grace Kelley in The Country Girl because Grace Kelley did a role in which she didn't wear any makeup and wore glasses! Don't play with me. Oscar is famous for ignoring black actresses.

I aint going to drop a lot of knowledge on you because it would be a waste of my time, like throwing pearls before swine, but a few of Oscar's injustice.

1.) Hilary Swank - with not one but two Oscars? Please, I would like to see her play a girl and win one.

2.) Who counts minutes -- why a ton of folks counts the minutes a nominees is in a film. Dame Judi Dench won her Best Supporting Actress Oscar for Shakespeare in Love. She was in the move all of 10 minutes. Geraldine Page was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for The Pope of Greenwich Village and she was in it for 10 minutes. And this is just off the top of my head, don't make me do some research!

3.) The year of Million Dollar Baby - GIVE ME AN ENTIRE BREAK!!

Carey, you know you're wrong on so many levels. Anyway, don't let me stop you from running up and down the street with your big hoop and stick.

Okay Buggin Out, it's time for you and Radio Raheem to silence that boom box. Ain't nobody trying to hear that "Fight the Power".

I know you didn't try to flip the script by telling ME about Judi Dench & Geraldine Page's 10 minute performances. That was my point! You were crying and talking in tongue about Alan Arkin only being in the movie 18 mintutes, and he still beat your boy Eddie Murphy. Come on Thump, you're slippin'.

Btw, why you gotta talk so nasty? Huh, why you wanna talk about my skin? I have said nothing about that wig you wear and those pull out teeth.

But lets cut to the chase. I am not denying the fact that racism is alive. Nope, not gonna do that. All I am saying is Gabby's performance was nothing special. You tell me how hard it is to fall down on a street after being pushed by corner thugs? How much brilliance does it take to look fat and cry? Oh, I forgot, she really brought it in those flashback scenes... NOT! That mess was campy as hell. Again, take Mo'nique out of the scene with Gabby and Miriah Carey, and what do we have... nothing! Take Mo'nique out of the home scenes, and what do we have... zip-nothing. But wait, she really reached in her acting bag in those school scenes. Nope, the other actresses carried those. Maybe it was the scene in which she stole a 30 piece box of Sambo's chicken. That's it, that scene was priceless.

Come on Thump, I know this is Black History Month, but you're standing in black quicksand, and your sinking fast. Look, come closer to the screen, you seem to be missing something. If you're standing in doo-doo, and another person is standing in poo-poo, ya both stink. But one of yawl might be the funkiest of the all. Listen, you can put on Gone With The Wind and say Mammy Hattie was the best thang smokin'. You can say Taraji Henson was robbed for not winning the Oscar for Benjimin Button. But to knock the other actresses in an attempt to raise your Gabby above the crowd, IS NOT gonna work. Let you tell it, Uncle Remus was robbed in Song Of The South. Oh yeah, "zippity do da, zippity day, my oh my oh... Thumper's gone insane.

Okay, tell me why Gabby should win? But please Tupac, no more "look at the white girl". That's right, lets look at Gabby's performance.

You say Oscar, I say boxer. Box her up and send her to the BET awards. The Oscar is for the best performance of the year. It's not a black thang.

Hello All,

See, Carey, once again, you have taken something and went all around the Maypole, the other way. I told you why Eddie Murphy lost. I don't say that just because you're black you deserve the Oscar, but there are too many cases of black folks being passed up. Don't start with me Carey. You bring up Hattie McDaniels. Like I told you on the other board, Olivia de Havilland should have won that Oscar because her performance was FLAWLESS! And you, never once heard me say that Taraji Henson deserved that Oscar. See, it's all about you checking yourself. What's that BB King said, "Take it like it comes, so you can leave it as it is." *LOL*

Okay Thump, I see your meds have settled down. It looks like another love TKO.

But before I leave, I have to say a couple of things. See, I wasn't going to bring up the old board. You know, I was going to let that go. But nooooo, you wanna challenge my memory. I have to admit it's not what it used to be, so, at times, you have me in handcuffs. But sometimes I get a flash alert. Yep, I see the woman that you said (on the old board) wasn't a good actress, and wasn't going to be nothing, Jennifer Beals. I think I just saw her in The Book Of Eli. I know you're big daddy woo woo in this Oscar thang, but you made your move to soon on that one. That's right, about 10 years ago, you tore her a new one. Don't make me say what movie. Hint: Walter Moseley.

I don't mean to bring up the past, because I sure don't want you to reach for your meds, but sometimes you have me confused. :blink:

Good night, sleep tight, and don't let the bed bugs bite you... anymore. :P