Steve Harvey, Monique & the Netflix Controversy

Steve Harvey, Monique & the Neflex Controversy

A two-part video popped up yesterday on Bing about a heated conversation between Steve Harvey and Monique. Even though I did not follow this story about Monique that happened some time ago, I did hear about it. And so, now after the videos aired, I understand it better. It seems that Monique claimed that she had been Black-listed [ie Black balled] a few years back and she became upset and made some comments against, Steve Harvey, Ophrah Winfrey, Lee Daniels and Whoopi Goldberg. Prior to this incident, apparently Monique became angry because after some kind of performance, she was only paid half a million dollars by Neflex, but on the other hand, they paid another White actree 13 million dollars. So, after this occurrence, Monique made an appeal to boycott Neflex and it was this claim that led to the conflict that she believe caused her to be Black-listed. After watching the video, I really don't know what to think, but it was interesting. Will Monique make a comeback? I don't know. 

Edited by Troy
Correcting typo in title

The "money game"  IS the "white game"  See Steve, and he said it himself, ain't trying to sacrifice himself or his family or the cause --  certainly not for Monique.  What Steve describes as the "wrong way" is the way that would cause him some discomfort (i.e. potential loss of income).

That is why Steve and the rests of them are very wealthy money and why a Monique, a Kaepernick, or any one of us can be shut down -- regardless of what other Black people say or think about it.

Boycott?! Black folks have not successfully boycotted anything since Montgomery, over 60 years ago!  That tactic is off the table because, like Steve, no one wants to sacrifice anything.

No one will boycott Amazon because people want discounted books and free shipping -- who cares how many Black businesses are crippled in their wake.  No one is boycotting Netflix to support Monique and more than they'd boycott the NFL to support Colin.

Collectively, we are a relatively weak, powerless, dependent, group of people...sorry.  Sure there are some individual successes, like Steve Harvey and others, but if Steve can't protect a fellow comedian, one he claims he "loves," what good is his success to anyone but himself?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What's left unsaid is  that Monique is not exceptionally talented or funny. Yes, she won an Oscar which didn't really call for her to do anything but play herself. She hasn't got enough star power to command what she thinks she deserves.  IMO. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah I hear you @Cynique, but Steve Harvey is not any funnier than Monique. Sucess is never really is about pure talent in the entertainment industry. Do you think the striper turn rap phenom, Cardi B, is the most talented female rapper? Do you think Colin K. lacks the talent to make a pro team?

Steve is great at working the system, Monique despite the Oscar sucks at it. It was probably not a good idea for her to be managed by her husband. That has obviously not worked well....

• Like 2

Black people need to stop crying over and begging for crumbs and we need to build more of OUR OWN institutions where WE can control what we do and how much money we make.

This is one of the reason I have so much respect for Berry Gordy and Motown.
When the world didn't want to recognize Black talent or pay it for what it was worth, Berry said:
"Fuck you....we're pack up our shit, move out, and do our OWN thing"
And next thing you know the WORLD was (and still is) rocking to the Motown sound!

When you're always hanging out at other people's houses and looking for meals you can't get mad and throw a fit everytime you feel they don't put enough sugar in your Kool Aid.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cynique said:

What's left unsaid is  that Monique is not exceptionally talented or funny. Yes, she won an Oscar which didn't really call for her to do anything but play herself. She hasn't got enough star power to command what she thinks she deserves.  IMO. 

Sad, but true.

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Black people need to stop crying over and begging for crumbs and we need to build more of OUR OWN institutions where WE can control what we do and how much money we make.

Yeah, I agree, but then eventually, even Berry Gordon, as you mentioned, lost some of his stars to the White industry. It seems like a lot of Black rich folk who may get the upper hand, eventually are bought out too. So, ultimately, Black people cannot keep that kind of contro continually, and maybe that is what happened to Monique. 

Steve told her that she was mad about 'a rich people issue' and a way of saying that poorer people don't want to hear her complaint. 

Monique may feel deeply wronged when Neflix gave the other actress 13 million but only gave her half a million, but we may never know why Neflix did this, whether on merit or if they just didn't like Monique's performance, or as she feels, was 'Inequality' based on her being Black.

It seems like that she was dropped kicked by Neflix and in turn, she was dropped by the Black stars because they didn't want to be done in like her. So, they abandoned her and Steve explained this to her as Troy said. 

But, what I wonder is, did Neflix do her in because of her performance being poor or what?

4 hours ago, Troy said:

@Pioneer1 Motown is a terrible example. Where is that "institution" today? I have clothing that has lasted longer than Motown.

Motown isn't as big as it was but it's STILL in existence as an institution and it was started in the late 50s....over 60 years ago. Man, if you have drawers over 60 years old, that Motown example ain't the ONLY thing that's "terrible".

Better go to Target or TJ Maxx this weekend and "treat" yourself son.
See if you can get some fresh underwear on one of those post-Valentine's Day sales...lol.

What Monique doesn't realize is that demanding to be paid more money by Netflix, regardless of the reason they paid her a lower salary, is still slavery. If she has beef with them, no one is stopping her from actually growing her own empire that could employ more black people and maybe even become real competition. So I don't buy her sob story. Why not use the 500k that she got from Netflix to open up Moniqueflix? Or find an already black existing company that she can take over or invest in, even as a silent investor if she didn't want to get her feet wet?

Black celebs have always been too happy with masta's money and then complain when they get ripped off more than they are used to being ripped off. Funny thing is that they are the least likely ones to invest their money back into the black community and create more opportunities for the people who made them rich but that's showbiz. Even more ironic is  that would also be where their true wealth lies I'm certain.

Monique wasn't standing up for the black community. That's why no one took her temper tantrum seriously. She was acting out of self interest because she personally felt targeted. She was motivated by her own greed and ambition. Now she has to make amends with the same people she insulted so she may have a career.

@Pioneer1 I believe @Troy is referring to the fact that Motown sold out to Universal. They also sold cheaply for 61 million dollars. They haven't been black owned since the 80's. That's why they are not mentioned among black owned businesses. Now I believe they are worth in the billions. Same with BET who sold to Viacom. The powers that be pretty much prohibit black people from having media control. And I think Google is in on it too.

• Like 2

Nubian

Well if that's what he meant then that's what he should have said, lol.
I would have agreed, because I too was disappointed at Motown leaving My-town (Detroit) and moving to California where I think it lost much of it's flavor by leaving it's Black urban base and going "Hollywood". Never the less, you can't dismiss the powerful impact Motown had on it's first 20-25 years bringing the world people like Diana Ross, The Temptations, and Marvin Gaye.
It showed the world and most importantly Black America what we can do when we make up our minds to control our OWN talents instead of staying on the plantation begging "massa" for justice.

I also agree with you but forgot to say until you brought it up that yes.....one of the reasons more Black people didn't stand with Monique was because she wasn't standing with them.   She didn't start talking Black unity  until she got HER "n*ggger wake up call" and then all of a sudden she wants to act like Queen Nzinga and wage war against the industry, lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

Well if that's what he meant then that's what he should have said, lol.

What?! Pioneer your thought Motown was Black owned?  @NubianFellow thanks for bring homeboy into the 21st century.

It is not clear to me why you are being so hard on Monique @Pioneer1.  She simply was not sophisticated enough to play the white man's game.  Also, she did try to get support from the Black power brokers, Tyler Perry, Oprah, Lee Daniels, Steve Harvey, and others. but they failed to support her in they way that she felt she should be supported. 

She is guilty of being naive and ill advised give her a break -- even Steve Harvey did that.

Troy

Ofcourse I know it's not Black owned NOW, but for it's first 20-30 years of history it was.
And again it showed the world what we were capable of when we put our minds to it and stop begging for acceptance from outside of ourselves.

I'm not hard on Monique, I just think she's a little presumtuous to start running to the Black community for support when she doesn't have a history of being pro-Black and standing with u BEFORE her troubles.

How would you feel about a cousin whom you knew well but never gave you anything, never came by to visit you, never called you, pretty much treated you like a stranger but then all of a sudden showed up at your door one day with his suit cases talking about,
"What up Cuz....I need a place to stay.
And uhhhh....since we family......so you need to show some family values and point me to my room!"

If you expect support, a report must be first buit into the relationship so that trust and mutual respect is established.

13 hours ago, Troy said:

@Pioneer1 why do yiu suggest that Monique has never been supportive of the Black community?

I didn't use the words "never been supportive".
I said there is NO HISTORY of her being pro-Black and standing with us (in a pro-Black way) BEFORE this.

Now if you can find me some evidence of her doing this then I'll recant my statement.

Sheesh @Pioneer1 you are nitpicking now.  Ok them why do you say.

10 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

there is NO HISTORY of her being pro-Black and standing with us (in a pro-Black way) BEFORE this.

Don't ask me to prove you wrong, just explain what justifies the statement.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:04 PM, Troy said:

Sheesh @Pioneer1 you are nitpicking now.  Ok them why do you say.

Don't ask me to prove you wrong, just explain what justifies the statement.

How can I prove or disprove that which does not exist?

I said she has no history of being pro-Black.
The only way to disprove this statement is to find PROOF of her being pro-Black before all of this began.

Doing a few stand up routines on Def Comedy Jam or Comic View doesn't make her a Black nationalist.

Infact, the role she played as that embarrassingly dysfunctionaly mother on Precious was one of the biggest disgraces for Black women that Hollywood ever produced as far as I'm concerned.

7 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

said she has no history of being pro-Black.
The only way to disprove this statement is to find PROOF of her being pro-Black before all of this began.

Doing a few stand up routines on Def Comedy Jam or Comic View doesn't make her a Black nationalist.

@Pioneer1As if black people have a choice about being pro-black.  Monique doesn't have to be a black nationalist to be pro-black.  All she has to be is a black person who is anti-white when it comes to blacks being exploited.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cynique said:

...Monique doesn't have to be a black nationalist to be pro-black.  All she has to be is a black person who is anti-white when it comes to blacks being exploited.

truth.

12 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Infact, the role she played as that embarrassingly dysfunctionaly mother on Precious was one of the biggest disgraces for Black women that Hollywood ever produced as far as I'm concerned.

WOW! This is what I've been wondering. I did not see this film but I heard about the book it was based off and was amazed that Monique would play the role of the mother. I've been wondering too, if this film had anything to do with the reaction Monique received from Neflix. But if this is true, then why would Lee Daniels and the others Black ball her? I thought he had something to do with this film being produced. 

On 2/20/2019 at 9:00 AM, Pioneer1 said:

I disagree. Monique played a role that was essential to the plot of the movie and her character was more of a pitiful victim of circumstances,  than a hard core villain.  This is what actresses do; they play a role and the part is not always that of a heroine.  The role Halle Berry played and received an Oscar for wasn't one that placed black women in a flattering light, but she embraced the character she played, - as any good actress does.  The same can be said of the actress who played the obese, down-and-out Precious in Monique's movie, as well the subservient maid played by Viola Davis in "The Help". This has been the history of black actresses in Hollywood, but things are getting much better as sistas are stepping up in the industry and making a mark for themselves in front of and behind the camera.  

• Thanks 1

Cynique that is all true, but why is most of the stuff we get awarded for by the majority culture usually something negative. Denzel got an award for playing a villain too. The music award was a song about a pimp.  I heard stripper turned, rapper, Cardi B, got a Grammy award.

I'm not exactly proud of the role or the film, despite all the accolades white folks heaped upon it. As much as I griped about the lovefest surrounding Stan Lee's world of Wakanda that film was FAR more preferable than "Precious."

Precious starring Monique

Cynique

Monique doesn't have to be a black nationalist to be pro-black. All she has to be is a black person who is anti-white when it comes to blacks being exploited.

There is no need for her to be "anti-White" or anti- any other race or ethnic group.
All she needs to do to be pro-Black; and she can do that simply by playing more dignified and respectable roles than what she played in Precious....which was disgraceful.

Troy

Cynique that is all true, but why is most of the stuff we get awarded for by the majority culture usually something negative.

For the same reasons these violence-n-crime promoting rappers are awarded so many record deals and get so much attention......because desired behavior is rewarded in order to REINFORCE it!

The racists IN the entertainment industry (not all those in the industry but the racists in it) who want to demonize AfroAmericans in they eye of the public will pay Black entertainers big money and offer them fame in exchange for playing demeaning roles and promoting violence and immorality.

18 hours ago, Troy said:

Cynique that is all true, but why is most of the stuff we get awarded for by the majority culture usually something negative.

Why?  Because the industry is controlled by whites and money, and racism comes with the territory. Hollywood has always promoted ethnic stereotypes, Blacks have been the main victims of this but movie characterzations of Italians, Jews, Mexicans,  Irish and Germans have also been unflattering. 

All she needs to do to be pro-Black; and she can do that simply by playing more dignified and respectable roles than what she played in Precious....which was disgraceful.

Puleeze.  It's not like black actresses had choices.  If they wanted to work, they had to take the roles that were available.  Nobody in Hollywood wins acclaim and awards for bland, Pollyanna roles.  They win for for giving performances that are compelling.  As for rappers, they are "art imitating life". There is an audience for this type of music, and it makes money.  There are other genres of black music being recorded that are equally popular and profitable. 

This debate has been going on for years.   You guys can't be as naive as you sound when it comes to this subject. 

11 hours ago, Troy said:

Cynique that is all true, but why is most of the stuff we get awarded for by the majority culture usually something negative. Denzel got an award for playing a villain too. The music award was a song about a pimp.  I heard stripper turned, rapper, Cardi B, got a Grammy award.

Yes, this is bothering me too.

I heard the late Dr. Francis Cress Welsing spoke out against the movie 12 Years a Slave along these same lines though. She really impressed me in how she spoke about how they set up Black actresses and actors and then praise them for certain kinds of demeaning roles. And it seems like to me that all of a sudden around a certin recent time, all of these slave type back-in-the-day movies began to be produced. So, I became un-interested in them and have not seen most of them especially when I heard certain comments about them. I did see The Help and I did not like it at all. Those days cannot be glamorized imo, no matter who plays those roles. 

18 hours ago, Troy said:

...for the same reasons these violence-n-crime promoting rappers are awarded so many record deals and get so much attention......because desired behavior is rewarded in order to REINFORCE it!

The racists IN the entertainment industry (not all those in the industry but the racists in it) who want to demonize AfroAmericans in they eye of the public will pay Black entertainers big money and offer them fame in exchange for playing demeaning roles and promoting violence and immorality.

7 hours ago, Chevdove said:

I heard the late Dr. Francis Cress Welsing spoke out against the movie 12 Years a Slave along these same lines though. She really impressed me in how she spoke about how they set up Black actresses and actors and then praise them for certain kinds of demeaning roles. And it seems like to me that all of a sudden around a certin recent time, all of these slave type back-in-the-day movies began to be produced. So, I became un-interested in them and have not seen most of them especially when I heard certain comments about them. I did see The Help and I did not like it at all. Those days cannot be glamorized imo, no matter who plays those roles. 

Well, you folks ask the questions, then you answer them. You all seemed shocked in your reaction to the way black actors were treated in Hollywood.  Consider what the black actors, themselves, say which is if you want to work in Hollywood, you take the roles that are available. This is true of whites as well. Would you  rather have white people playing roles written for black ones in movies exposing the awful history of slavery??? The film industry is about making money and providing entertainment. Movies are as American as apple pie and this means that those who produce them can be racists. They are not crusaders for truth and justice. Okay? Since blacks wielded no power, they had to start somewhere,  had to take baby steps  in making progress. They did the best they could and through perserverence they have made great strides, even owning their own studios and producing their own movies nowadays.  i stand by my statement below.

9 hours ago, Cynique said:

Nobody in Hollywood wins acclaim and awards for bland, Pollyanna roles.  They win for for giving performances that are compelling and riveting.  As for rappers, they are "art imitating life". There is an audience for this type of music, and it makes money.  There are other genres of black music being recorded that are equally popular and profitable. 

This debate has been going on for years.   You guys can't be as naive as you sound when it comes to this subject. 

It's not like black actresses had choices.

Sure they did we all have choices. It is just, generally speaking our choices are selfish, but this is the culture.

Blacks have been the main victims of this but movie characterzations of Italians, Jews, Mexicans,  Irish and Germans have also been unflattering. 

Here you make a distinction between different types of white folks, because you recognize their are differences.  Black folks regardless of ethnicity or national origin are just "Black." This too is part of the culture.

There is an audience for this type of music, and it makes money.  There are other genres of black music being recorded that are equally popular and profitable. 

The first statement is true. The second is completely false.  Are you suggesting that Jazz is or some other genre of Black is nearly as profitable as rap?

1 hour ago, Cynique said:

As for rappers, they are "art imitating life".

This is what rappers and the folks who make money on them say.  But it is no more true than the film Precious was art imitating life -- unless you are solely interested in presenting the most egregiously dysfunctional portion of Black people as if it was typical behavior.

@Chevdove Frances Cress Welsing a student of Neely Fuller gets deep on the subject.  While I don't agree with some of what she says, she makes a lot more sense that most women who the media gave a platform to today.  Can you image a sister like Dr. Welsing being on a major talk show today?  Her evisceration of  Dr. William Shockley on Tony Brown's Show (video below) is awe inspiring. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Troy said:

The first statement is true. The second is completely false.  Are you suggesting that Jazz is or some other genre of Black is nearly as profitable as rap?

No i'm suggesting the R&B  and Slo-Jam music is still popular, so popular that rappers sample it on their cuts.  Chicago is the home of the uniquely  midwestern "steppin" community, a type of dance that is not geared toward Rap music, but to good ol R&B songs.  It is also the home of "house music" whose popularity raves in the alternative music genre. And i make a distinction between hip hop music and gangsta rap. BTW, Cardi B won one of her Grammy's for the best rap album of the year in that category, a genre that has its own category just like all of the others types of music.( Nobody gives rap more credibility than the people who say it's not credible.) Rap is now establishment music. And black purveyors of it have their own labels, and producers and they  keep the money they make, many of them giving back to the communities they came from. Other ethnics have adopted this genre, and little kids don't have to be taught it; it comes natural to them because it is syncronized with the beat of their pulses which throb with the times and, as such, rap is a cultural phenomenon that would be widespread whether it was profitable or not.  The music scene is a mosaic of which rap is just one facet. and most blacks like all types of black music. You folks act like you've never heard of Beyonce or John Legend or a slew of other millionaire non rap superstars out there, - or like you have never listened to Urban radio stations.   

"Precious" which came out almost 10 years ago, was  based on a book written by a black woman and the movie was true to the book. There are currently a lot of mainstream movies out there about positive black people, especially on the black TV channels. A series based on the movie "Boomerang" executive produced by Halle Berry who acted on Eddie Murphy's idea, has just debuted and it rocks. Plus Oprah's channel has a lot of contemporary programming that authentically portrays black folks.  Of course y'all wouldn't know about these things because you boycott TV.

These are the observations of an 85-year-old-woman in the year 2019, not those of Frances Cress Welsing circa 1970.  To me, y'all are stuck in the past still voicing the same ol  rhetoric that is not that relevant today.   So we have to agree to disagree.  

• Thanks 1

@Cynique Dr. Welsing died in 2016 you two were only a couple of years apart.  She was as intune with the times as you feel you are. Why diminish her poistion?

I'm sure Welsing had strong opinions about the film Precious too and I doubt they were favorable. 

You know i witnessed the birth of hiphop. Indeed i was part of it i own the first few rap albums. I saw kool herc at the disco fever. I saw flash dj in community centers. I know what rap music is.

It is always easy to find exceptions that buck a trend. Just because oprah has a billion dollars and Obama was president does not mean Black people are not struggling financially for structural problems in our economy due to greed and racism

So there are a few good shows, in your opinion, on the boob tube; that does not negate the fact that Black people often get the big white awards and acclaim for showcasing dysfuntional behavior as entertainment. 

• Like 1

@Cynique, Then why reply and take a dig at me on the way out?  

So I'm stuck in a "rut," unable to look around me? That statement is incredulous since you know my background and ongoing behavior.

You did the same with Dr. Welsing...  if that helps justify your disagreement with me on issue fine. 

22 hours ago, Troy said:

So I'm stuck in a "rut," unable to look around me? That statement is incredulous since you know my background and ongoing behavior.

You did the same with Dr. Welsing...  if that helps justify your disagreement with me on issue fine. 

Did i say you were stuck in a rut?  You shouldn't have tried on the shoe. LOL    I have never been a devotee of Frances Cress Welsing and her unorthodox views.  I have been looking around and trying for about 50 years to find out whether the rumors of her having been married to and bitterly divorced from a white man were true.  Because she and i had mutual acquaintances,  i heard that this was what redirected her career from being a  pediatric psychiatrist to an uncredentialed afro-centric anthropologist dismantling white supremacy, something that cost her her position on the staff of Howard University. Some say she was married to an African but i couldn't ever find any verification of this.  While looking around  i did learn that a fan of hers had to come forward and pay for her funeral.  i find that curious. 

BTW, since i know you won't be watching the the televised Academy Awards this Sunday I  will let you know whether black Actress Regina King wins a supporting  Oscar for her role as the sensitive and loving mother in "If Beale Street Could Talk", a black film based on a book by James Baldwin, or if Mahershala Ali, wins one for his role in "Green Book", a film about the elegant and intellectual black jazz pianist Don Shirley. And also if "Black Panther" wins for best picture.  These artists and this picture did win Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild Awards earlier this year. Spike Lee is also up for a best director award for his picture "Black KKKlansman" starring John David Washington, Denzel's son.     

The only reason Cynique is dismissing Dr. Welsing is because of her mentor Neely Fuller Jr.

Neely Fuller Jr. is right there on the TOP of her list of Black men she loves to criticize....right up under Elijah Muhammad, lol.

But I remember watching that debate years ago.
She really pushed that idea of Black children being more creative.

I miss Tony Browns Journal.
He used to have POWERFUL indepth interviews where it would just be him and the guest going at it and exchanging.
No music (except for the introduction) no fluff, no glamour, just straight logic and dialog.
I loved it.

Spike Lee is also up for a best director award for his picture "Black KKKlansman" starring John David Washington, Denzel's son.

Interesting.................
I met Washington (Denzel's SON....not Denzel himself) briefly when he was a young man playing football at Morehouse when I was living in Atlanta years ago.

Me and a woman were speaking to a group of young men and I was secretly wondering why were there women students at a men's college until it was explained to me later that what I was looking at WERE NOT women...lol.
After we got through speaking John came up and dialoged with us a bit and left and when he walked away one of the faculty asked me did I know who that was.
I said not really, and she told me he was Denzel's son.

I didn't know he was an actor now.

5 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

miss Tony Browns Journal.
He used to have POWERFUL indepth interviews where it would just be him and the guest going at it and exchanging.
No music (except for the introduction) no fluff, no glamour, just straight logic and dialog.
I loved it.

Me too. The culture does not support programming like that. They feed us R. Kelly, Jessie Smollett, and Bill Cosby jail stories in between 45's tweets. We are a culture of

selfie-taking mental midgets anxiously waiting for the next shiny thing social media puts in our "news" feed.

Spike Lee is also up for a best director award for his picture "Black KKKlansman" 

Spike ain't getting a director award for Black kkklansman -- unless they trying to "Monique" him. What is with all the Ks in the title? The film itself was meh, perhaps because of the directing. 

I was secretly wondering why were there women students at a men's college until it was explained to me later that what I was looking at WERE NOT women...lol

Yeah read stories about Morehouse men fighting and winning the right to wear dresses. I guess Spelman can't take them in..

The company I used to work for attracted Morehouse university's most gifted student the class valedictorian who happened to be a white boy (who did not wear a dress).

Morehouse is not the same school Dr. King graduated from. Some would say that is a good thing.  All I know is they are no longer graduating men like MLK.

3 hours ago, Troy said:

Me too. The culture does not support programming like that. They feed us R. Kelly, Jessie Smollett, and Bill Cosby jail stories in between 45's tweets. We are a culture of

selfie-taking mental midgets anxiously waiting for the next shiny thing social media puts in our "news" feed.

According to your theory, all of this was put in place seconds after the big bang so it's not the media's fault.

6 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

The only reason Cynique is dismissing Dr. Welsing is because of her mentor Neely Fuller Jr.

The only reason you are saying that is because you can't stand to have anyone not give a damn about people who you grovel over.  As far as i'm concerned, Frances Cress Welsing was just another  Afro-centric idealogue. And i'm glad my assessment of her bugs you.

6 hours ago, Cynique said:

According to your theory, all of this was put in place seconds after the big bang so it's not the media's fault.

Sure it is Cynique. "my theory," (more accurately the idea im defending is not novel I'm sure) does not eliminate or negate blame.

Did you enjoy the academy awards last night?

3 hours ago, Troy said:

Sure it is Cynique. "my theory," (more accurately the idea im defending is not novel I'm sure) does not eliminate or negate blame.

Too bad the burden of your ongoing frustration with the media comes with the territory of the idea you are defending. 

3 hours ago, Troy said:

Did you enjoy the academy awards last night?

I usually find live TV interesting to watch because you never know what's going to happen; especially on award shows There were a lot of surprises last night, and black folks made out pretty good. They won Oscars in both the male and female categories of best supporting  actor category for their roles in black based movies. Two black female nominees won for best costuming and production design for their work on the movie "Black Panther". "Green Book", the film based on black jazz pianist. Don Shirley, won for best picture, and Spike Lee got an Oscar for best adapted screen play of his black based movie, "Black Klansman". 

The acceptance speeches of all the black winners were worth hearing.  I also dug the show's opening act featuring 2 famous hits by the rock band QUEEN, whose movie based on its front man, Freddy Mercury's life was a nominee for best picture.  Also liked checking out all the "hits and misses" among the gowns worn by the female celebs strolling the red carpet.   

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 12:22 PM, Troy said:

Here you make a distinction between different types of white folks, because you recognize their are differences.  Black folks regardless of ethnicity or national origin are just "Black." This too is part of the culture.

This is so true.

On 2/22/2019 at 12:22 PM, Troy said:

Frances Cress Welsing a student of Neely Fuller gets deep on the subject.  While I don't agree with some of what she says, she makes a lot more sense that most women who the media gave a platform to today.  Can you image a sister like Dr. Welsing being on a major talk show today?  Her evisceration of  Dr. William Shockley on Tony Brown's Show (video below) is awe inspiring. 

@Troy Watching Now! Thanks for posting! I sure to love to watch these kind of programs.

On 2/22/2019 at 2:08 PM, Cynique said:

...executive produced by Halle Berry who acted on Eddie Murphy's idea, has just debuted and it rocks. Plus Oprah's channel has a lot of contemporary programming that authentically portrays black folks.  Of course y'all wouldn't know about these things because you boycott TV.

You're right, I have boycotted TV but not only because of some of the shows but because of other reasons too. I do wish I could get some of the progrmas today featured on cable, but cannot afford it right now.

On 2/23/2019 at 7:43 AM, Troy said:

Dr. Welsing died in 2016 you two were only a couple of years apart.  She was as intune with the times as you feel you are.

Absolutely. 

18 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

me too.

14 hours ago, Troy said:

LOL. Sad but true.

20 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I loved it.

17 hours ago, Troy said:

The above statements are just not accurate.  There are still programs where there are one-on-one interviews on compelling subjects, where black women and men are given a platform to expound on timely topics as they relate to blacks. Oprah has a show that does this.  But, of course, you will dismiss it because of your pre-conceived notions about anybody who doesn't pass your litmus test of being on a decades old YouTube tape. Angela Davis is still around giving interviews and kickin butt. Kathleen Cleaver, too. Check out the Sunday morning community affairs programs on your local TVs networks. They feature these kinds of guests discussing what negatively impacts on blacks.  You can't speak about what's not on the media if you don't watch it because you prefer to stay in the comfort zone of your bubble and commiserate with like-minded dweebs about tired ol problems that haven't mellowed with age.  When you  finish rehashing left-overs, you can go back to pursuing discussions on the redeeming value of porn or your pouting about white men, and other thrilling subjects that you find so much more uplifting than current events or pop culture.  See ya.       

3 hours ago, Cynique said:

When you  finish rehashing left-overs, you can go back to pursuing discussions on the redeeming value of porn or your pouting about white men, and other thrilling subjects that you find so much more uplifting than current events or pop culture.  See ya.  

Ouch

8 hours ago, Cynique said:

The above statements are just not accurate.  There are still programs where there are one-on-one interviews on compelling subjects, where black women and men are given a platform to expound on timely topics as they relate to blacks. Oprah has a show that does this.  But, of course, you will dismiss it because of your pre-conceived notions about anybody who doesn't pass your litmus test of being on a decades old YouTube tape. 

Oh Brother @Cynique I thought you knew me better than that. I've seen Davis numerous times have produced video of her myself. I saw Kathleen a few months ago. 

Oprah.... really? That is what you put up as a suitable alternative to Tony Brown's Journal? Oprah is fluff for the female masses. I've seen the show.  has it changed from 20 years ago? How many Black men you know who regularly tune into Oprah?

You easily desparage Welsing and elevate Oprah. I don't get it...

Of course there are still people doing good programming. Rock Newman has a good program it is  (was) a local program, but i get to see it because it is on Youtube. And it is not decades old. There is years worth of new content published on youtube everyday. Part of what i do is share good shows on this site. -- i even share oprah's stuff even though i dont personally care for it but i know others, like you, do 

The reality is most people get their news from social media. So we consume a diet of 45's tweets and Jessie Smollett updates 

I've probably exposed myself to a far greater variety of Black folk than most. Bubble... nah you are way off the mark there @Cynique but you keep watching TV and consuming a steady diet of social media.

Social media and broadcast TV are two platforms I've chosen to stop consuming information from, because that is actually were filter bubbles are born. 

3 hours ago, Troy said:

You easily desparage Welsing and elevate Oprah. I don't get it...

I  didn't disparage Frances.  i put her in perspective. What's so hard about getting that???  Oprah didn't rise from her humble beginnings and ascend to where she is by being shallow  Her black experience is  more authentic than a product of middleclass  upbringing like Frances.  Maybe you wouldn't be so adverse to "O" if you weren't framing her in her talk show vein of the past instead of her more in depth venues of the present. (Did you know she is also a correspondent on 60 Minutes now?) 

And yes, i  will keep reading articles that social media provides links to, and i will keep listening to broadcast TV and getting news from them along with other sources because i want to broaden my awareness, not narrow it. And anybody who doesn't do this is in a bubble. I want a full course on my plate, not just one dish. i watch Public TV every night and i can speak with authority on how it compares with network TV.  And their news overage isn't vastly different from network TV.  And at this very moment i am watching the Daily Show with Trevor Noah who is having a one-on-one in depth conversation with a distinguished black guest.  BTW, i've never really gotten it clear where this esoteric realm is that you get your pure news from?  Mount Olympus?

I  didn't disparage Frances.  i put her in perspective. What's so hard about getting that??? 

Sure you did. You called her views unorthodox. Why, because they did not fit the narrative you learned watching TV or conform to the white man's way of thinking?  Then you stopped short of pulling a Del move by dropping that unsubstantiated rumor that Welsing married a white guy -- as if that mattered. You implied her ideas were stale and out because of step with the times because if the age if the video. You are obviously not a "devotee." Please, let's call a spade a spade.

Did you know she is also a correspondent on  60 Minutes now?

So what! Is that your criteria; The validation of white folks? Has oprah did any stories of people who are unapologetically pro Black?

So watching TV broadens your horizons?! OK I'll leave that one alone.

@Cynique you have of habit taking general statements I make about the behavior of a group and defending them by telling me what YOU do. Please stop taking my statements about a group and making them about you. It is clouding your judgement and you ability to understand my points. 

4 hours ago, Cynique said:

BTW, i've never really gotten it clear where this esoteric realm is that you get your pure news from?  

There is no single pure source of news. If one consumes news from a single source one is being misinformed at best and lied to at worse. Where do i get my news from? I get it form a wide variery of sources and platforms. Magazines, newspapers, TV (Though not traditional broadcast), and books.

Look MOST people do not watch PBS like you and I. By the way I do watch 60 minutes. I have a subscription to CBS all access. 

Most people do not click through on links to articles on social media. So while you and i do this cynique most people do not. This is common knowledge to those in or who follow the industry.

What most people do is read the snippets copy and pasted on the social media platform. The social media algorithm then decides what to out in your news feed based upon what will keep you most engaged. Then people simply read and engaged with the snippets the are put in front of them.

When i used to read social media too often i found the opinions formed were not supported by the actual article; because no one had bothered to read it! Often links to the source articles weren't even provided and i had to run queires to find the articles.

If course there is the very real problem of fake news, false equivalence, and senstantalism that is the hallmark of social media. Social media's goal was NEVER to inform. So no, social media is not a "news source" for me.

@Troy Calling somebody unorthodox is not a disparagement. Here is the definition of the word "unorthdox": contrary to what is usual, traditional, or accepted.  Synonyms:  unconventionalunusualuncommon. (Maybe i should also provide you with a definition of disparagement.) And even if unorthodox was a negative word,  i don't have to placate you and pioneer for my iconoclastic approach to this subject. In my self-proclaimed role of a  iconoclast, i seek the truth.  Why wouldn't i investigate Frances Cress Wellsing's backstory? She was a public figure. Why should she escape scrutiny?  You and pioneer are simply miffed by my rejection of whom you aggrandize because you think everybody should embrace whomever you anoint.

And,  yes, "60 Minutes" on CBS is my criteria  of a news program that is not a purveyor of fluff pieces. Why do you subscribe to  white CBS all access since you consider my reference to Oprah being on 60 Minutes as a sign of my believing that being on a white show validates her?  And  Frances Cress Welsing was not pro-unapologeticaly black.  The only blacks she appreciated were those who conformed to her specifications. It was her way or the highway. Just like most idealogues.

As for your "generalizations" always accompanied by a qualifying "most", if you, yourself,  didn't place so much weight on them while disparaging the exceptions to them,  maybe i would cut you some slack when it comes to your using them in an effort to substantiate your claims.  Case in point is the generalizing of your experience with links to social media articles being fake news or irrelevant, something which doesn't void how social media also gives links to credible articles in reputable newspapers and publications as well as up-to-the minute videos of actual news events captured by the cameras of CNN and MSNBC, as opposed to the YouTube relics you think are the gospel. You resort to cherry-picking when making your findings, then chide me for only seeing things from my point of view because i and millions of others regularly click on FaceBook links to articles that aren't fake or irrelevant.  You don't really think you are generalizing, you think that only what you say matters.  

Social media may revolt you but I love how FaceBook ridicules celebrities and sacred cows, providing comic relief from all the serious and depressing news of the day. And how it inspires me with the spiritual memes and Buddhist quotes that i have become a target for - because i "like" them. You can continue to brood over social media's effect on a dysfunctional society, and you can deplore TV for providing arm chair spectators with the banal entertainment and hyped-up news that's not served up the way you want it to be but the world will go on while you shake your head and wiggle your finger at all us naughty people who live our lives they way we choose to.  😝

I did not base my use of the word disparagement based solely upon the use of the word unorthodox it was  basely upon several statements you made, which I related, not just the one. But we can agree to disagree.

I subscribe to CBS to watch Star Trek; yes I too enjoy "banal entertainment."   But I'll probably drop the subscription after that and watch the 60 minute segments via podcast.

@Cynique I understand that your personal love with affair with social media has blinded you to, or forced you to, downplay it's downsides.

You sound like Zuckerberg and Trump denying the impact these platform had in the last election in the face of all the evidence.  I assume you believe the findings of how social media was exploited to help get 45 into office. Assuming you do believe the findings what I don't understand is why you believe it is worth the trade off. You say you despise 45, but would you be willing to get rid of Facebook if would have stopped 45 from getting elected? 

Another thing I don't understand is why you give social media so much credit for providing spiritual memes and Buddhist quotes, ridiculing celebrities and sacred cows If it is not like these things did not exist before, and could not exist without, social media.

Again, as I've said before, I really don't what people do for fun as long as it does not effect me.  Unfortunately the even thought I don't use Facebook the fact of the matter is Facebook is mining all of our data -- without permission and even without having a Facebook account.. and all you can think about is the funny memes.

@TroyYou seem to be under the impression that i live and breath FaceBook.  I don't.   It's a diversion  that i check out daily and then go about my life.    i wish you'd stick to scolding me for not caring about the danger FaceBook poses to my progeny rather than implying that i am ignorant  of its flaws  and pitfalls. How could i be,  as much as you preach to me about them?    What i say now and have always said is that I don't give a damn about the dire implications FaceBook portends. It is what it is.  A sign of the times.  You do enough worrying for both of us.  Keep at it.    

As far as my loving the funny memes, the Buddhist quotes and the spiritual illustrations, they provide me with instant gratification that i actually can't get anywhere else.   So shoot me... 

I'm back.  Had to go finish watching Michael Cohen's testimony before the House of Representatives. It's on all the major channels.  Scandalous! He's really a sleaze bag, but it takes one to known one and he boldly called the President of the United States, a lying, racist, cheating con man, and i loved it!  

• Thanks 1