Jussie Smollett Could Face 48 Years In Prison After Sixteen Felony Counts Charges

They are being a bit excessive on the Jussie Smollett case, but my question is why? I'm no fan of any agenda supporting the LGBT movement but 48 years for filing a false police report is beyond overboard. It makes me question is there is an agenda against black celebs or what with all that is making headlines recently.

Jussie Smollett faces additional charges.ABC

Empire actor Jussie Smollett could be facing up to 48 years in prison after being hit with an additional 15 counts of filing a false police report.

Smollett was hit with the 15 additional felony disorderly conduct charges by a grand jury on March 7. He may also be forced to pay a fine of up to $400,000.

The 36-year-old actor had already been charged with one Class 4 Felony charge of disorderly conduct in February, which could have meant a three year prison sentence plus a $25,000 fine.

As reported by ABC News, the indictment was confirmed by the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office.

Smollett’s attorney, Mark Geragos, released the following statement:

The fact of an indictment is not unexpected. We knew that there is no way they would expose their evidence to a public airing and subject their witnesses to cross-examination.

What is unexpected however, is the prosecutorial overkill in charging 16 separate counts against Jussie.

This redundant and vindictive indictment is nothing more than a desperate attempt to make headlines in order to distract from the internal investigation launched to investigate the outrageous leaking of false information by the Chicago Police Department and the shameless and illegal invasion of Jussie’s privacy in tampering with his medical records.

Jussie adamantly maintains his innocence even if law enforcement has robbed him of that presumption.

Smollett has denied the charges, and will be returning to court in Chicago next week (beginning March 11). On March 14, he will face the charges in court.

It is anticipated Smollett will cut a plea deal with authorities.

Smollett told authorities he had been attacked on January 29, by two men who were ‘yelling out racial and homophobic slurs’.

Smollett said one of the attackers had put a rope around his neck, and had poured some sort of chemical substance on him.

Police believe Smollett had paid two men to carry out the alleged assault on him.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NubianFellow said:

Smollett told authorities he had been attacked on January 29, by two men who were ‘yelling out racial and homophobic slurs’.

Smollett said one of the attackers had put a rope around his neck, and had poured some sort of chemical substance on him.

Police believe Smollett had paid two men to carry out the alleged assault on him.

@NubianFellow Thank you for breaking this down! Until now, I couldn't find the actual story.

But I just read in the tabloids, yesterday, that he has returned to the set of that show, I think it's called, Empire.

And I also read yesterday that the FBI has been requested to investigate the charges on his behalf. I'm not sure though. I only read briefly.

But now, after your post, I am wondering if this is all some kind of hype that is coming from certain groups who want to draw more support for the LBGT cause and to connect this to Black Americans. I am wondering about this process due to this show called Empire, that I have heard about. I heard that the show is suppose to be really good, but i have no interest in watching it right now. 

• Like 1

Jussie appeared in court yesterday, here in Chicago, and entered a "not guilty" plea.  I'm thinking he and his lawyers are going to fight this case, in an attempt to completely clear his name because reasonable doubt is creeping into the situation.  The dumb-assed Chicago police, who did a 360 degree turn on the case, are so anxious to prove that they are not being racist they have gone overboard in their attempts to prove Jussie totally to blame.  This may very well backfire on them because a lot of their evidence is circumstantial.  i don't trust those Nigerian brothers, and am very unimpressed by their lawyer a young white woman who when she was first assigned to the case referred to them as "her boys".

The immensely popular show EMPIRE premiered its new season on Wednesday and jussie will be appearing in it on up to the last 2 episodes which were being filmed during the time he was under suspicion, and the producers have written him out of the show for now.  We shall see.  I've heard the LGBT community is keeping its distance from this situation because they don't know who to believe. The black community seems to withholding judgment, too, and if Jussie is found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, he will have done great damage to both of these segments.  

• Like 1

@Cynique Good points. The only people to suffer from scandals are black people. No one else suffers. Supremacists will be quoting this case 50 years from now to invalidate racism as they are doing now. Jussie is a supremacists dream case. The lgbt means the black community no good. They, like feminists, are part of white supremacy. I believe that even if he proved his case to be true, it would not benefit the black community. This whole case is trash.

@Chevdove As much as I am no 50 Cent fan, Power is actually better and seem to push the lbgt agenda less. I liked Empire until the show revealed itself as a white supremacist agenda pushing homosexuality on the black community. The rate of homosexuality using hip hop to spread its ugly head is the worst thing to hit the black community since crack. They are not merely trying to cripple us. They are trying to paralyze us. As much as we hate to admit, a race war has been waged against black people. It seems to be happening in waves. The scariest part is that it has been disguised so well, the black community doesn't even suspect it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cynique said:

i don't trust those Nigerian brothers, and am very unimpressed by their lawyer a young white woman who when she was first assigned to the case referred to them as "her boys".

Yes, this sounds strange. But for them to have to get a lawyer does seem like something may have occurred. This case is strange. 

6 hours ago, NubianFellow said:

This whole case is trash.

Yes, Something does not sound right here, what a diversion. 

As much as I am no 50 Cent fan, Power is actually better and seem to push the lbgt agenda less.

@NubianFellow I just learned something new. There is a show called Power? I will google. When I hear about something that Lee Daniels is behind, I already assume it's going to be about lbgt and this is what I heard about Empire. I don't know for sure though.

I liked Empire until the show revealed itself as a white supremacist agenda pushing homosexuality on the black community.

This is awful. But again, this was the purpose for electing a 'Black' president imo, anyway. I saw it coming. 

• Like 1

i'm not an avid fan of EMPIRE.  It's just a show about show business.  It has drama, comedy, and music. The homosexual aspect is marginalized in its plot because homosexuality is not unusual, especially in the entertainment industry.   Homosexuality is simply a brain-wired sexual orientation, an anomaly  that has always been around and it's not going away.   i take it in my stride, and people do have a choice when it comes to watching shows that have gay characters.  Furthermore, homo-sexuality exists across the board among all races so i don't buy it as being something that whites are seeking to use as a spell to cast over black men via the media. 

Paranoia is rampant in the black community. i don't think white people have to plot against any rich and famous black man seeking to acquire a piece of the action. They just have to wait for these celebs to commit stupid acts of sexual misconduct for which they are easily found guilty. Then all the "white powers-that-be" have to do, is sit back and leave black folks to exist in a perpetual state of suspicion about conspiracies  that gnaw away at their minds. The crimes for which innocent black men are found guilty exacerbate this black mindset because African Americans can't relinquish their high expectations from a country they can't stop loving.    

• Like 1