Why should you read Black Speculative Fiction?

Milton

I was introduced to science fiction and fantasy by my college English instructor who was trying to lure me from a chemistry major to an english major. It didn't work, but it sparked my love for science fiction and fantasy and eventually my writing career. Other Black people I've met were brought to the genres by Octavia Butler's stories. Now a new generation is being inspired by the Black Panther movie, Tomi Adeyemi's Children of Blood and Bones and a new crop of Black indie science fiction and fantasy writers that have emerged on the scene over the past 10 years. But why should science fiction and fantasy be important to Black readers? 

• Like 1

I think science fiction fosters our imaginations and, like poetry, greatly expands the manner in which stories can be told. This is important to all readers not just the Black ones. 

Black readers may not have the great body of work, and awareness of what is available as other groups may have, but that is where platforms like AALBC come in 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/15/2019 at 11:28 AM, Milton said:

. But why should science fiction and fantasy be important to Black readers? 

Not a clue!

But as a sci-fi/paranormal writer it helps me tackle problems in the abstract that I can’t solve using logic and reason.

In fact, i started writing supernatural/sci-fi prose because it helps me to understand human behavior and the natural world. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...