April Selection: Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler

Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler

Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler

Parable of the Sower was voted the #69 of the Top 100 Book of the 20th Century by AALBC visitors!

We will be discuss Parable right here, simply reply to this message (see screen shot below).  If you’ve read Parable please let us know what you thought about the book, and encourage other to share their thoughts here too..

Also read, our Book Club’s moderator, Tony Lindsay’s review of Parable.

how-to-participate.jpg

I was dubbed a "Literary Expert" yesterday by the Wall Street Journal for recommending Parable for an article they published: 

The 10 Books You’ll Want to Read This Spring

The WSJ asked literary experts to recommend new works coming this season. The results offer an especially cinematic selection.

By Ellen Gamerman April 3, 2019 10:09 a.m. ET

(I was able to read the article one time on my cell phone, but after that is was locked behind a paywall.)

• Like 2

On 4/3/2019 at 5:23 PM, Troy said:

If you’ve read Parable please let us know what you thought about the book, and encourage other to share their thoughts.

Sign of the times!  I was just watching Netlix's "OA"  "Season 2 episode 2 "Treasure Island"  and  "Parable of the Sower" is prominently featured in a scene at a book store. Spooky -and now I won't be reading it.  I don't want to manifest that "world"  in my psyche...clearly too many people have and it's now becoming a reality. So I'll pass and work to materialize a world of LOVE. 

That is deep @Mel Hopkins.  I think if you read the book you'll come away with a different feeling.  I plan to reread it next week.

Side bar: starting this month I was working to get people to discuss the book on the book's page itself (in the Comments Section of Book’s main page). In fact @Tony Lindsay thought that was the way it was supposed to work from Jump.  I think discussing the book there would be better as it expands the discovery of the conversation across the Disqus Network. 

The only problem with this approach is that the comments are not on AALBC's servers. Now that I think about, that should be a show stopper.  I can mention, in the comments section, that the book's discussion with take place here and post a link.