My White Jewish Girlfriend & the Supernatural

30 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Do you also believe that the moon and planets are "stars" too?

Merriam Webster 

star

noun

Definition of wandering star

: any of the seven planets of ancient astronomy

fixed star

noun

Definition of fixed star

: a star so distant that its motion can be measured only by very precise observations over long periods.

Going back to the sidelines. 
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Delano said:

noun

Definition of wandering star

: any of the seven planets of ancient astronomy

:huh:  Your definition of a wandering star says it's "ancient" astronomy.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:14 PM, Chevdove said:

@Pioneer1 You are so wrong! I have a degree in science and have taught science. 

The word 'STAR' means 'a planet'! The word 'STAR' also means 'THE SUN' in the scientific world!

A 'star' is the definition of 'the sun', 'the moon', the MOVING STAR [ie planets], 'COMET' and etc! 

PLANETS are defined today and in the distant past as being MOVING STARS. 

The moon is defined to be 'A SATELLITE STAR' ...

This has always been the scientific language!

:huh:  She says the scientific world TODAY defines planets as well as the moon as stars.

Again, this is the first time I'm hearing that science STILL calls planets and moons "stars".

11 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

If a claim is made that a battle was fought on April 20th 1791....how can I look up at the stars or planetary alignments and confirm this today?

Dude, no one wrote anything like this. Please provide a quote.

• Haha 1

Troy

When I saw you posted in this thread, somehow I KNEW it would only be a sentence or two and most likely would NOT be an answer to any of the questions I posed to you.

1. That "battle" was just a hypothetical. 
It was an example for the question of how could something that happened in the past be confirmed or verified by looking up in the sky today.
It doesn't mean a battle took place or that you claimed it took place, but IF someone DID claim it took place.....how could the planet or star alignment confirm this claim?

2. I see you totally ignored the question I posed to you of whether or not YOU believe that planets and moons are stars also.

Lol, neither one of you (Troy and Chev @Chevdove) are doing a very good job explaining to me in a plain simple way that I can understand HOW planets and stars CONFIRM or VERIFY the claims people make of alleged past events like The Flood or Jesus walking on water.

The STUDENT is ready, but where is the teacher?

7 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

a hypothetical. 
It was an example for the question of how could something that happened in the past be confirmed or verified by looking up in the sky today.

@Pioneer1 the reason no one is trying to prove this is because no one made that claim. The idea is obsurd; why you keep forcing the point is lost on me. 

Now the alignment of the moving stars (planets) and fixed stars can tell you when something happened on Earth, but not what happened. I think that is what @Chevdove was trying to say, but she can speak for herself.

Again, post the statement where anyone said what you've claimed about describing specific events based upon the relative positions of heavenly bodies.

The student thinking he's ready, does not make so.

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2019 at 7:22 PM, Delano said:

Due to precession, the Earth's axial tilt slowly changes over time. As time progresses, the locations on the Earth's orbit at which equinoxes and solstices occur will change. 

yes!!!

On 5/19/2019 at 9:25 PM, Pioneer1 said:

Are you telling me that in the scientific community today moons and planets are considered STARS?

That would be amazing because this is the first time I'm hearing this.

@Pioneer1 Yes!!! The term 'Star Worshippers' in connection with the ancient Romans and their worship of Jupiter, Mars and other bodies in the sky is common knowledge, but like you, many people are not making the correlation to the fact that Jupiter is regarded as 'a star'!-- MOVING STAR.

On 5/19/2019 at 11:32 PM, Delano said:

Jesus and the Apostles are believed to have spoken Aramaic, and Aramaic-language translations (Targums) of the Old Testament circulated. Aramaic continued in wide use until about 650 CE, when it was supplanted by Arabic.

@Delano Yes, thank you.

On 5/22/2019 at 12:50 PM, Pioneer1 said:

If a claim is made that a battle was fought on April 20th 1791....how can I look up at the stars or planetary alignments and confirm this today?

@Pioneer1 This may be a relative statement. It depends on who is looking at the star configurations, at what level of understanding do certain people have regarding being able to recognize star configurations, and if there is a significant occurrence like THE TRIPLE CONJUNCTION.

A few days ago, or nights, as I was driving, I thought about this topic when I saw the moon and nearby a large star. It was so beautiful. That triple conjuction that occurred about 2000 years ago and then again in 2002, was also written to be MARKED by 'an almost FULL MOON', a WANING MOON.

You see, Pioneer, that was rare happening. Another rare happening would be SUPERNOVAS. One today that can be seen, if my memory serves me right would be THE PLEAIDIES [sp?]. This 7 cluster of stars located near another MARK is said to be the result of some kind of supernova in ancient times.

Another MARK would be the AD 1066 COMET, I think HALEY'S comet that was marked by certain ancient people all over the world. This event marks certain historical events such as what was going on with the NORSEMEN, and the kind of Native Americans in Southwest North America, the ones who marked this comet, and etc.

This Halleys comet, I think was MARKED about 2000 years ago too, and was mistaken by some ancient scribes to be 'the star of bethlehem' or something like that, but it later was proven scientifically, that the comet came in the month of JANUARY and was visible for a few months and then moved out of view. Comets [stars] have a specific description.

Then there are the famous METEOR STORMS, [ie. falling stars, shooting stars or etc.] that also have been known to MARK HISTORICAL TIME events.

Certain historical meteor storms have a specific description as they are, i think, said be from some kind of comet [?] and based on certain constellations when they can be seen, they are named. I saw one in NOVEMBER 2001-- THE LEONIDS, because this meteor storm marks the constellation LEO, and it marks the HISTORICAL TIME of the 

recent 911 TWIN TOWERS CATASTROPHE that occuured 2 months prior.

I can keep going on and on, and perhaps, I will when I can think of other events, to hopefully help you understand how star configurations have been recorded to MARK HISTORICAL EVENTS on earth and etc.

THE COMET OF 1812

This coment was seen and recorded by many and is believed to be what led to the WAR OF 1812-- 2nd WAR OF INDEPENDENCE

It marks this historical time of the WAR OF 1812 [ie Madison's War]. A few weeks prior to the appearance of this comet, in December of 1811, there was a violent earthquake that later was thought to be on a 9 ricter scale. the after shocks continued through the month of January 1812. The comet appeared sometime at this point and was seen for months.

NOVEMBER--------- the 9th Month------ NOVA MONTH------ NEW YEAR

At some point in the distant time, this month NOVEMBER became A NEW YEAR and it was said to be due to a METEOR STORM and is what eventually led to the Roman New Year of January and later being a time when FIREWORKS were displayed to mark the new year.

Chev and Troy

Well you two STILL haven't sold me on planets and moons being stars, but OK...I'm beginning to understand.

It took a minute, but I'm beginning to comprehend how the stars and planetary alignments and their patterns can verify the times of alleged events.
But this is beginning to lead to new questions for me.............

These alignment patterns.....as consistent as they may be....would seem to only verify when something took place IF those who are recording the event MENTION that particular celestial alignment during the event itself.

For example if a great battle took place at a particular time and those scribes looked up in the sky that night and said,
"On this night Saturn is here, Venus is there, the Virgo constellation is here...ect..."

I understand now.

But most historical events that I've read DO NOT mention celestial alignments with them. They just say "Such and such took place" and leave it at that.

So again, how can we verify the actual occurence of the EVENT when the alignments aren't even mentioned as is the case with MOST historical events we read about?

• Like 1

So for now, what I am sharing is ancient events that are connected to certain star phenomena such as the rare TRIPLE CONJUCTION that occurred when the planet Saturn first came into orbit.

You have to imagine a periwinkle sky around 6:00 PM when the 'almost full moon' is visible and then there are two 'dull yellow' planet stars nearby the moon, Jupiter and Mars, STRAIGHT UP OVERHEAD. This is part of the re-enactment shown in planetariums. Planets look like a dull yellow tiny ball with the exception of Mars. 

Then all of a sudden, another star [moving star] seems to come out of the dark sky and moves FAST!!!

Then the NEW MOVING STAR comes very close to the other 2 stars and then, because stars show RETROGRADE.

One star appears to MOVE BACKWARDS... But actually, the planet Saturn is moving so fast, it causes Jupiter to appear to be moving backwards.

Finally, the fast moving, incoming star SEEMS TO STOP MOVING!!!-- And, the 2 stars along with this new star show a TRIANGLE PATTERN near the moon.-- TRIPLE CONJUNCTION.

In actuality, the tree stars are in a straight alignment and they are on their OWN PLANE. Each of these stars have their own unique system! The planet Jupiter has its on moons!!!

And imagine that when Saturn moved into orbit our solar system, it also came with its own moons!!! Amazing!!!

Not only did the planet Saturn come into our orbit, but at some distant point, the planet Jupiter, Mars, EArth, and etc. moved into position to become a part of this SOLAR SYSTEM. And, ancient people wrote about these happenings. Today, we have to sift through mythology and facts to try and better understand...

The modern planet Uranus MARKED HISTORY around the AD 1600s when it was FIRST RECOGNIZED. So, it marks certain historical periods such as the age of Exploration, and when telescopes were advanced, and etc.

I love this stuff!! It is so fascinating to me!

===

COMET OF 1811

Comet_of_1811.jpg

By Guillemin, after Smyth - Amedee Guillemin, The Heavens (London 1886), Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7274366

The Great Comet of 1811, drawn by William Henry Smyth, from Amédée Guillemin's The Heavens

The Great Comet of 1811,[1] formally designated C/1811 F1, is a comet that was visible to the naked eye for around 260 days, a record it held until the appearance of Comet Hale–Bopp in 1997. In October 1811, at its brightest, it displayed an apparent magnitude of 0, with an easily visible coma.

4 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Well you two STILL haven't sold me on planets and moons being stars, but OK...I'm beginning to understand.

@Pioneer1 LOL okay, this is good!

6 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

So again, how can we verify the actual occurence of the EVENT when the alignments aren't even mentioned as is the case with MOST historical events we read about?

This question is relavent to who is doing the writing. A priest-scientist or an unlearned person?

Also, it depends on the magnitude of the celestial event or star configuration, being important enough to cause people to MARK it in connection with something that is also important happening on earth.

For example; Let's say an ancient ruler of Egypt is having a Sed Festival for ruling for 30 years, and at this time too, there happened to be A METEOR STORM that actually strikes the earth! Then, you would probably read ancient recordings of this meteor storm in, not only ancient Egypt records, but other civilizations of those times may have their own record systems and smart people to write books and record that meteor storm. But in Egypt, it would also be marked by a particular ruler and a sed festival too.

Some ancient people may not have recognized certain celestial events as being all that important as others. For example, i've read the ancient DOGON priest were wise men who knew how to read signs in the sky and so, their records may help to date certain time periods when they lived.

Certain celestial events helped to synchronize ancient calendars and such.

THE DOG STAR

I can't remember this one for sure, right off hand, but I think this star position in the sky and it's movement relative with the constellations and or revolving earth, is how the Egyptians MARKED THEIR CALENDARS EVERY YEAR in order to prepare the the Nile flooding! It was so precise that they could predict with accuracy when the floods would occur.

At one poing, it appears very low on the horizon and near to a certain constellation, and this signals something. And once it appears just above the horizon, it marks a 70 day period of intense heat and no rain...

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

They are not stars. 

Even today people look up at the sky see planets and think they are stars. Unless you have some interest in astronomy you would have no clue.

In much the same way people cannot read maps because of navigation systems, people look up at the sky and just see a bunch of twinkling lights that have more meaning that text written in a language they can't understand. Most of us live in urban centers which render most star light invisible anyway...

• Like 1

The Dogon of Mali were extremely accurate with their astronomical science.
You know they, along with the Ibo (from where we get Hebrew) people of Nigeria actually trace their ancestry back to ancient Egypt.

Infact, I believe most African "tribes" can eventually trace their origins back to ancient Egypt and Ethiopia if if we study their cultural habits and religious rites I believe we'd find bits and pieces of ancient Kemet scattered through out all of them.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Troy said:

They are not stars. 

Even today people look up at the sky see planets and think they are stars. Unless you have some interest in astronomy you would have no clue.

@Troy Oh Gosh, thank you for this jolt. I think I need to do better here; so, I have gotten some quotes to better understand myself. Also, thank you @Delano for you post on the 'ancient definition of planets being defined as 'wandering stars'.

I think that though, our educational system does not care to better define how terms are used 'generally' in the past and how they are more detailed today. So now, I see the detailed definition of 'star' as it applies to 'the sun' and the 'planets' that rotate around our 'sun star'. I see the detailed definition of our satellite (moon) being a part of our sun system. And I see and better understand the definition of 'SHOOTING STARS' [ie FALLING STARS] in that this term is not really defining 'a star'', however, this is just a general term used to describe 'A METEOR STORM'! 

Motion in the Heavens: Stars, Sun, Moon, Planets

Motion of the Planets

Since ancient times it has been known that five of the "stars" moved across the sky: Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. They were termed "planets" which simply means wanderers.

Are their paths in the starry vault also related to the ecliptic?

The answer is yes. They all stay within 8 degrees of the ecliptic, and in fact this is the definition of the Zodiac: the band of sky within eight degrees of the ecliptic, and for this reason.

http://galileoandeinstein.physics.virginia.edu/lectures/starry~1.html

Ptolemy was influential with his heavily mathematical work, The Almagest, which attempts to explain the peculiarity of stars that the moved. These "wandering stars", planets, moved across the background of fixed stars which were spread along a sphere surrounding encompassing the universe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed_stars

A "falling star" or a "shooting star" has nothing at all to do with a star! These amazing streaks of light you can sometimes see in the night sky are caused by tiny bits of dust and rock called meteoroids falling into the Earth's atmosphere and burning up. ... Meteors are commonly called falling stars or shooting stars.

What causes a "falling star"? - StarChild - NASA

Comets are some of the material left over from the formation of the planets. Our entire solar system, including comets, was created by the collapse of a giant, diffuse cloud of gas and dust about 4.6 billion years ago.

How did comets form? - HubbleSite - Reference Desk - FAQs

So, then my conclusion is that the ancient 'translation' and terminology used as WANDERING STAR [ie Planets] or MOVING STAR [Planets] and also SHOOTING STARS [METEORS] OR FALLING STARS [METEORS] are not explained today, in that this term 'STAR' was relative, so therefore, people may not understand ancient scripts. However, I feel that these references should help to better understand. 

So too, @Pioneer1, even though the ancient scriptures and the Biblical description of 'a moving star' in that the star was observed to move definitely describes A PLANET, however, it may not be believe as such because of today's TECHNICAL DEFINITION OF THE WORD 'STAR' is not made plain in how it was defined with the adjective 'MOVING' or 'WANDERING' to actually mean a planet. And likewise, as I showed in the reference, ancient people did term the planets as 'stars'.

The ancient Romans were STAR WORSHIPERS and their most supreme worship of THE PLANET JUPITER is what sums them up to the point that they constructed their major temples and named them after these 'PLANETS'; the TEMPLE of JUPITER, the temple MERCURY [ie SATURN'; their Treasury temple], thier temple VENUS and etc. and they have major festivals that revolve around these 'ancient stars'. 

On 5/25/2019 at 3:44 PM, Delano said:

The terms Astrology and astronomy were interchangeably 

Thank you @Delano ! Exactly! This was the very term I was thinking about. The root word 'ASTRO' in words like Astronomy, Astrology, Astrophysicist and etc. all stem from the word 'STAR' and, as you wrote, the term 'astrology' and 'astronomy' are interchangeable. I thought that I made that clear when I first posted. 

I believe that the Western World has done a lot to bring confusion in how the Old World used the term 'STAR' to refer to various 'astronomical bodies' or 'celestial bodies' and even today, this can still be the sterm used 'STAR' to refer to certain events. As I said the planetarium show THE STAR OF BETHLEHEM refers to THE PLANETS and the famous TRIPLE CONJUNCTION of the planets JUPITER, SATURN, AND MARS, that occurred about 2000 years ago and again in April of 2002. Today, we understand the definition of 'planets' but this was the same understanding thousands of years ago, and still it was defined as 'wandering stars', 'moving star's, or 'planets'--

--The term 'star' and 'planet' was used interchangeably! Likewise, we know the distinction between 'meteor storm', 'falling star' and 'star' as meaning FIXED STAR, however, even today, the terms are used interchangeably. But the Western world as specifically defined 'STAR' as only meaning 'FIXED STAR' and its definition at times, but they too, refer to the Old Word defintion of 'star' as meaning specific 'astronomical bodies' because the science of stars is ever changing...

UNIVERSITY OF CHAPEL HILL MOREHEAD PLANETARIUM Show ever years--

Morehead Planetarium retires "Star of Bethlehem," starts new holiday concert series

Tags: 

Posted November 20, 2011

https://www.wral.com/morehead-planetarium-retires-star-of-bethlehem-starts-new-holiday-concert-series/10284597/

As I stated, this 'Star of Bethlehem' Planetarium Show about the TRIPLE CONJUNCTION of the planets, Jupiter, mars and Saturn, was stated to be the LONGEST RUNNING SHOW IN THE WORLD and ran for over 50 years across the world. I saw the one at UNC but it has closed. Along with this show in North Carolina, there were two others in America, in Texas and in Pennsylvania planetariums. Because of this show being featured across the globe, this phenomena cannot be completely ignored here, in America, however, they have done a good job of keeping this completely out of the educational systems! 

Again, I understand the confusion today, in specifically defining 'planets' as NOT being 'a star' however, this is no different than the ancient times too. Just as in the past, the term 'moving star' is specifically defining 'a planet'. The term 'star' is defined even today in context and can really have a more specific definition other than a fixed star that gives off it's own light.

And the stars of heaven shall fall, and the powers that are in heaven shall be shaken.

ST MARK 13:25.

[We know that 'falling stars' mean METEORS just as they did in ancient times.]

Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars,

to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever. ST JUDE 1:13.

[And we know that the reference to 'wandering stars' correlates to planets today as they knew in ancient times]

And he put down the idolatrous priests, whom the kings of Judah had ordained to burn incense in the high places in the cities of Judah, and in the places round about Jerusalem; them also that burned incense unto Baal, to the sun, and to the moon, and to the planets, and to all the host of heaven. … 2 KINGS 23:5. [And so, the priest-scientist in the past knew about planets being specifically distinct from 'a fixed star' just as we do today]

There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory. 1 CORINTHIANS 15:41. [And here, is the full reference showing that the ancient scribes knew the distinction of certain 'stars' they saw in the sky]

one star differeth from another star

Again, as these ancient script references do show, the term 'PLANET' was known as well as the actual definition of planets being 'wandering stars' and 'moving stars'. The term 'star' in context can define a specific kind of 'celestial body' or ASTRONOMICAL BODY.