What is African American Culture?

8 hours ago, Wosey said:

@melhopkins yes I am a native speaker i speak the standard Yoruba language (mostly spoken in South western Nigeria-Most universal). I apologize in advance for referring you to Wikipedia page of the Yoruba language however I must say it is well written and referenced. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoruba_language#Yoruboid_languages

@Wosey

Thank you.  As a professional journalist, research takes up most of my time.  But when I get a chance to encounter a primary source I jump at it.  

I’m familiar with the secondary source information on Yoruba culture - I even follow a priestess on wordpress (smile) but when you shared the background of the language, you appeared to be a native speaker with first hand information.  

That’s not to say I don’t use wikipedia - but I only use to determine the author’s  sources - and then I go to the source.  

Usually  when I ask questions on this board - it’s more for the member’s first hand  experience.  

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 2:49 AM, Delano said:

Isn't there a Black Aesthetic that transcends time and place?Which comes across both verbally and non verbally. Have you seen non Black people pull off African or even Afro American clothing.

Same thing with cadence slang and tonality in speech. Does Wesley Snipes seem more Black than Denzel Washington. Meek Mill versus Drake.

I am not certain where I would put Eminem. He doesn't try and sound black but he loves hip hop in a way that Jay Z doesn't. Eminem loves hip hop Jay Z loves hustling. In. my opinion 

Have you seen non Black people pull off African or even Afro American clothing.

Too me, Caucasians can get away with dressing in the "typical" AfroAmerican style but they look funny as hell dressing in traditional African clothing.
The colors and patterns are often too bright and clashes with their skin.

Does Wesley Snipes seem more Black than Denzel Washington. Meek Mill versus Drake.

Wesley Snipes is certainly darker than Denzel and some would consider his facial features more African, but for most intents and purposes I wouldn't consider Wesley "Blacker" than Denzel.
Blacker than Will Smith...lol....but not Denzel.

As far as Drake and Mill.....Drake is a mulatto while both of Mill's parents are AfroAmerican.

I am not certain where I would put Eminem. He doesn't try and sound black but he loves hip hop in a way that Jay Z doesn't. Eminem loves hip hop Jay Z loves hustling. In. my opinion

You may not know where to put Slim Shitty but I know where to put him....in the same box with Elvis Presley and the rest of those in the popular music industry who are guilty of stealing AfroAmerican music styles and claiming it as their own.

He's a thief AND a liar.
For one things he's NOT from Detroit.
He's from Kansas City Kansas and he only moved to the SUBURBS of Detroit at 12 or 13 but never grew up in the city itself.
His entire persona has been fabricated and it was done so with two purposes in mind:

1. To help erase the image of Detroit as a "Black" city and make it seem more Caucasian friendly for gentrification.
2. To put a White face on Hiphop so that the global audience will not be so attracted to AfroAmerican men who originated it.

Infact the entire "Pop" music genre was developed to STEAL AfroAmerican music and styles and attribute it to Caucasian artists.

On 11 August 2019 at 3:25 AM, Pioneer1 said:

Have you seen non Black people pull off African or even Afro American clothing.

Too me, Caucasians can get away with dressing in the "typical" AfroAmerican style but they look funny as hell dressing in traditional African clothing.
The colors and patterns are often too bright and clashes with their skin.

Does Wesley Snipes seem more Black than Denzel Washington. Meek Mill versus Drake.

Wesley Snipes is certainly darker than Denzel and some would consider his facial features more African, but for most intents and purposes I wouldn't consider Wesley "Blacker" than Denzel.
Blacker than Will Smith...lol....but not Denzel.

As far as Drake and Mill.....Drake is a mulatto while both of Mill's parents are AfroAmerican.

You may not know where to put Slim Shitty but I know where to put him....in the same box with Elvis Presley and the rest of those in the popular music industry who are guilty of stealing AfroAmerican music styles and claiming it as their own.

He's a thief AND a liar.
For one things he's NOT from Detroit.
He's from Kansas City Kansas and he only moved to the SUBURBS of Detroit at 12 or 13 but never grew up in the city itself.
His entire persona has been fabricated and it was done so with two purposes in mind:

1. To help erase the image of Detroit as a "Black" city and make it seem more Caucasian friendly for gentrification.
2. To put a White face on Hiphop so that the global audience will not be so attracted to AfroAmerican men who originated it.

Infact the entire "Pop" music genre was developed to STEAL AfroAmerican music and styles and attribute it to Caucasian artists.

Do you really believe that all pop music STOLE from Afro American music?  Loads of Brit bands in the 60s were very deeply influenced by RnB and covered many tunes . I'm sure there was no intention to rob. The likes of the Stones,the Beatles, the Yardbirds,Cream and many others idolised these fantastic artists. 

Check this

Delano

and see what Eminem and other rappers say.

Lol....after I told you that I see Eminem as a thief and a liar, why would you think I would even care about what he has to say?

Maurice

Do you really believe that all pop music STOLE from Afro American music? Loads of Brit bands in the 60s were very deeply influenced by RnB and covered many tunes . I'm sure there was no intention to rob.

How can you be so "sure" there was no intention to rob or steal the music and claim credit for it?

You talk about the Beatles and other bands of the past but TODAY as we speak British artists like Joss Stone, Adele, and Ed Sheeran have attained fortunes and world fame basically IMITATING the sound and cadence of AfroAmericans in their music.

How can people born and raised in England sound so much like inner-city AfroAmericans if they weren't intentionally trying to imitate them?

It's a clear case of intellectual theft.

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Delano

and see what Eminem and other rappers say.

Lol....after I told you that I see Eminem as a thief and a liar, why would you think I would even care about what he has to say?

Maurice

Do you really believe that all pop music STOLE from Afro American music? Loads of Brit bands in the 60s were very deeply influenced by RnB and covered many tunes . I'm sure there was no intention to rob.

How can you be so "sure" there was no intention to rob or steal the music and claim credit for it?

You talk about the Beatles and other bands of the past but TODAY as we speak British artists like Joss Stone, Adele, and Ed Sheeran have attained fortunes and world fame basically IMITATING the sound and cadence of AfroAmericans in their music.

How can people born and raised in England sound so much like inner-city AfroAmericans if they weren't intentionally trying to imitate them?

It's a clear case of intellectual theft.

Id agree with you that today that there are Brit artists imitating the sounds made by Afro Americans. I'm really trying not to be biased here but I truly believe that the previous artists I mentioned were doing it for love. Yes, they made loads of cash in the process but I  think this was mainly due to the original songs they eventually recorded. 

{@Maurice you don't have to quote the post immediately proceeding the one you are responding to. Indeed, it is almost never necessary to quote an entire post; you can just qoute the statement you are responding to. When one quotes and entire post it just makes the conversation harder to follow.}

Maurice

Id agree with you that today that there are Brit artists imitating the sounds made by Afro Americans. I'm really trying not to be biased here but I truly believe that the previous artists I mentioned were doing it for love. Yes, they made loads of cash in the process but I think this was mainly due to the original songs they eventually recorded.

Ofcourse.
Nodoubt they were doing it for love!

But love of the ART....not love of the ARTIST.

So if they can find a way to seperate the ART (that they and their fans love so much)  from the BLACK ARTISTS (that many of their fans despise and see as inferior)  they can have their cake and eat it too. Or better yet, if they can claim this art as THEIR OWN.....this inflation of their egos is an added bonus.

Ofcourse in the context of 2019 both you and I can listen to Joss Stone or Adele understand how an argument can be made that their style is basically a copy of the urban style of AfroAmericans.....but what about 2 or 3 generations from now?
By that time the context would have changed and all you would have is the artists.

It's the same with the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.
Today we see these groups as wonderfully talented groups with the creativity to rock the world, very little is mentioned of the Chuck Berrys and Little Richards and Sly and the Family Stones that these groups "borrowed" much of their styles from. 

You see....
Putting a Caucasian face on such great and soul-stiring music helps to maintain the idea of White Supremacy in society because it tells society that such wonderful and alluring music HAD to have been produced by the "superior" people.  It would be illogical and fly in the face of White Supremacy that those deemed "inferior" could or would make superior music.

I truly believe that the Stones themselves loved the artists too. They named themselves after a Muddy Waters song and of course covered many blues numbers as well as Otis Redding,Don Covay and Barrett Strong. In the many interviews the Stones have given, they always give credit to the likes of Elmore James, Bo Diddely and Howlin Wolf.

But I do get what you're saying.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2019 at 1:44 PM, Mel Hopkins said:

@Mel Hopkins I answered your questions! Which are

1.Are you a native speaker? Yes I am a native speaker.

2. What is the name of the universally accepted dialect?  I speak the standard Yoruba language (mostly spoken in South western Nigeria-Most universal)

I also have a background in research too. I also apologized in advance about referring you to Wikipedia which I am aware is not used as a reference in serious academic discussion.

I think the lecture I received in return for my reply to your question is unnecessary!

I

On 8/10/2019 at 1:44 PM, Mel Hopkins said:

@Wosey

Thank you.  As a professional journalist, research takes up most of my time.  But when I get a chance to encounter a primary source I jump at it.  

I’m familiar with the secondary source information on Yoruba culture - I even follow a priestess on wordpress (smile) but when you shared the background of the language, you appeared to be a native speaker with first hand information.  

That’s not to say I don’t use wikipedia - but I only use to determine the author’s  sources - and then I go to the source.  

Usually  when I ask questions on this board - it’s more for the member’s first hand  experience.  

On 8/10/2019 at 10:24 PM, Troy said:

@Troy Wikipedia is definitely not a good reference to support any argument or discourse, I think high school students are aware of this fact. If you read my comment you will see that I put a caveat  before  referring to it.