DIY Afro Kinky Wig

DIY Afro Kinky Wig

36d64e1b2ad9d3744f6a92d9bde3f3ab.png

Chizi Duru Inspired Afro Wig,

by HerGivenHair company

When I consider about hair extensions, weaves and wigs, I wonder about other Black African American women and their choices based on availability. I have been natural for at least 30 years and ever so often, like now, have braided in hair extensions so that I don’t have to spend time styling my natural hair. But it has been a challenge for me to find kinky or nappy hair extensions. So therefore, in the past, I have manipulated curly hair extensions in a way to make them appear to be nappy. Thankfully, I have just found another video that features the social media Influencer, Ms. Chizi Duru, in how she also altered a curly wig and made it into a nappy wig. Because I love her videos on this subject, I watched more and fell in love with just about everything else she has posted on her channel. She has become so famous that she has been featured on high powered magazines such as ELLE and African magazines as well, and she has made money being paid to promote other industry products.

AAuE7mCZ1aEourshcXpr18IfWwKi5AH7F1aEwJot

CHIZI DURU

The market and prices for synthetic hair products are low and reasonable for straight hair weaves and wigs. And, thanks to Chris Rock’s movement a few years back, there are now many Beauty Supply Stores that carry Kinky Hair Extensions with decent prices. Now that I am getting older and wonder about the possibility of hair thinning, I am now wondering about Afro Kinky wigs too though. When my hair is styled naturally, I like a big, full style and that takes a lot of time to style, so now I have been looking for another option in wigs and found that there are some, but there are some pit falls in this search. Not only are some wigs NOT really kinky, but the few out there on the market are priced very high! Chizi’s Afro Kinky Wig cost about $400.00! And, there are other kinky wigs that run about $200.00 and maybe lower on sale. But also, even when it comes to the kinky Hair Extensions, the subject of providing true kinky hair extensions becomes a challenge! One product called, ‘Mongolian Afro Kinky Hair’ seems like a ‘play on terms’. Another product on the market called, ‘Vietnamese kinky hair weaves’ seems like another trick phrase. I have noticed that many products are very misleading when it comes to propaganda regarding the market for Kinky Hair Extensions and Afro Kinky Wigs. It seems obvious to me that most of the hair extensions and wigs are not ‘kinky’ or ‘afro’ type hair at all, but curly. Even on the African-typed websites I find that the true definition of true kinky hair includes the definition of ‘curly’ and this would not be true at all. Although hair can have a combination of hair types, however, as a Scientist who has done research on this topic, it just so happens that kinky hair and curly hair are two distinct kinds of hair types. True Curly Hair does NOT nap and no matter how it can be manipulated to mimic kinky hair, that would be the key difference. Like straight hair, curly hair can tangle or frizz, but it cannot nap! Curly/kinky combination hair will nap. So therefore, even the definitions of Afro Kinky Hair Types put out on the web by Black African Americans and such like are actually wrong in the complete breakdown of the hair type 4 definitions. At any rate, I am happy though to see that at least, there are products on the market that do mimic Afro Kinky Hair! Furthermore, I wonder if these products had been on the market long ago, even before Chris Rock’s movement, would Black women want to have these kinds of enhancements. Even straight human hair has been used to mimic kinky hair and perhaps that would be what ‘Mongolian’ and ‘Vietnamese’ hair means! LOL. Nevertheless, human hair is very highly priced.  

Nevertheless, when it comes to hair enhancements, this has been going on for thousands of years and therefore, there will continue to be a huge market for this demand for now. Whether Black woman want straight hair enhancements or kinky hair enhancements, this subject will continue as it did since ancient times. The ancient women have been clearly depicted with wigs and braided extensions in several ancient scenes in the earliest of civilizations. Did these women wear straight hair wigs or kinky styled wigs? Did they wear hair enhancements to appear as White or Asiatic women or, did they wear these wigs as enhancements due to aging and hair thinning? Were the Black kings, prophets and pharaohs disdained about their Black women for wearing wigs and extensions? When I look at the detailed depictions of Joseph, the son of Jacob/Israel, sitting amongst the daughters of Israel styled with hair extensions, it becomes obvious that it was not a negative aspect or else, they would not have been depicted as such! When I see all of the Hebrew and Egyptian women with hair extensions sitting around Moses in ancient carvings, I also know that he did not view them negatively. And then, when I see all of the depictions of women with wigs and crochet hair extensions sitting amongst the earliest of Egyptian pharaohs, it also becomes evident that this was acceptable to the point that it became a part of the royal attire for certain queens. ‘Wait-a-minute! Did she just say she saw Joseph and Moses depicted in ancient times!!?’ But yes, based on my research, it would also be true though, that at one point ancient Black women did become obsessed with Asiatic women having ‘good hair’. However, the good thing today would be that NATURAL HAIRSTYLES are making a come-back! As for me, I love to see Black women style their hair straight, curly or naturally kinky styles no matter what kind of hair they are born to possess, but for the many of us born with 4C hair, we know that we have taken a negative hit for whatever reason. And therefore, it helps to see more of these styles featured and to see videos that highlight this subject. Even though I have been natural for years now, I have even butchered my natural hair too and therefore, love to find natural Afro Kinky Hair enhancements and tips on how to better care for my hair.

I remember a few years back, I blew out my natural hair before I went to the airport to meet one of my sons and it was so funny to see his reaction when he saw me. This reaction of my son and that of other Black men makes me believe that yes, Black men do appreciate seeing Black women with natural hair more than straight hair styles, and so I believe too, that this would also be one main reason why natural hair has been so downplayed and hair relaxers were pushed in the market for years. While I sat at the airport waiting for my son, I saw several Black male employees walk pass me and stare at me. I noticed one man, walked passed me and then he walked back to get another and they both walked by me staring. Finally, they both came up to me and asked me if that was my real hair! LOL. Finally, I saw my son who, at first, walked past me, staring. But he kept walking because he did not realize it was me until I called him. Then, he came up smiling and saying that he did not recognize me because I had not worn my hair out in a while. My natural hair reaches past my shoulders when I find the time to blow it out. But then again, I butchered it many times doing this type of style. So, one time, I manipulated curly hair extensions to mimic my nappy hair and wrapped the pieces around small combs and stuck the pieces in amongst my hair and POW! It was awesome! The Black women at my job, kept coming around me and trying to figure out if my hair was fake or natural, LOL. So, I shared. And therefore, this would be why I think the videos of Chizi and more, may be helpful to others. Like me, Chizi had a shock experience in getting to love her natural hair. She said in one of her videos that her Nigerian father, cut her processed hair off! LOL. She’s a Daddy’s girl. Her honesty, I find, in her hair journey may be helpful to others. She looks stunning though, whether she has kinky hairstyles or braided hair, or whether she wears makeup or not, or whether she was thin as in her college days or fuller in size. Chizi actually has a lot of natural hair herself and very healthy hair. Chizi definitely shows many levels of herself and has gained many followers since she began her channel a few years back in 2011 and then became a sensation around 2015 as a Social Media Influencer.

s_5a2a0335eaf030598800dc44.jpg

CHIZI on ELLE Magazine 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chevdove said:

Thanks to Chris Rock’s movement a few years back, there are now many Beauty Supply Stores that carry Kinky Hair Extensions with decent prices.

Chris Rock gets credit for this... really?

I skimmed the last video. It was so much work -- wow! 

I'm so glad I'm a guy and don't have hair issues to deal with 🙂  The Maasi women of modern day Kenya and Tanzania don't either...

By the way Chizi is cute. She could sport a baseball cap and still be foine 😉

If those videos are making her money, God bless her.

• Like 1

The only reason so many people don't like kinky or even nappy (beaded) hair is because they've been conditioned by this society since childhood not to.

You can TELL Black women they're beautiful all day long but unless Black girls actually SEE it displayed growing up and actually SEE men (of all races not just Black men) pursuing them and women with dark skin and kinky hair....most of them won't believe it or internalize it.

This is why you have to use the media and educational system to start children (especially African children) off early seeing dark skin and kinky hair being loved and sought after as a prize and standard of beauty.

I believe you can condition people...both male and female....to find almost any natural characteristic attractive as long as you start them off very young when they are most impressionable.

I still remember the Jet Beauties found in Jet Magazines from back in the 70s.

Image result for jet beauty of the week 70s

The reason why i, personally, don't like the look of these wigs which are designed to replicate black tresses is because i don't think dense, drab-colored exploding hair with no sheen or flow is attractive and i've always thought this even as a little girl before they had the medium of TV to captivate me.  (the only brainwash i underwent was when i wore my hair in a bushy Afro.) 

i always look for parallels in nature when judging humanity because i trust my eyes to perceive what represents beauty.  No where in nature is there a growth that is comparable to wooly black hair except sheeps' wool which, unlike the slick glossy coat of a black panther or the luxurious brown mane of a lion,  doesn't become beautiful until it is processed and dyed into fabric.  

Nobody has to brainwash me into thinking what occurs in nature is beautiful, that what silk worms produce is pleasing or that the color of a cloudless sky is soothing, or that  gleaming gold so like the sun, or a sparkling diamond so reminiscent of a twinkling star, or a lustrous pearl so captive of the moon, or the darkness of an onyx so like the deep of night, are breathtaking treasures of the Earth.  Nobody has to convince me that a shiny red apple is appealing or ripe yellow banana is appetizing.  I reject all the psycho-babbo about why i prefer what i prefer. The personification of what is comparable to the  glory of nature are what infuse themselves into my world view. Nor do i even  have to justify what stirs my innate affinities.

And if what i say offends anybody,  so be it.  To each his own.

8 hours ago, Troy said:

If those videos are making her money, God bless her.

@Troy Yeah! the company designed the wig after her creation and now pays her to advertise the wigs they make that was inspired by her! One wig sales for $439.00!

I can't afford that, but I wish I could. 

She makes a lot of money because companies contact her and send her products that she will show on her channel. For example, she was sent a bunch of bathing suits and she modeled them for a company. And, she was paid to be on the cover of ELLE Magazine and so much more. Therefore, she does this fulltime. I just found out about her, but she is very popular. 

8 hours ago, Troy said:

Chris Rock gets credit for this... really?

LOL. well, I heard that Chris Rock was sued by somebody because they felt that he stoled their idea. But, anyway, I give him credit because before he did his videos, there were absolutely no kinky hair weaves 'extensions' and hair pieces in stores, but after he did his video, now they are in every store. 

7 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I still remember the Jet Beauties found in Jet Magazines from back in the 70s.

@Pioneer1 I wish I could sport an afro like that!!!! Beautiful! My hair won't stay in place for a rounded fro as this model. 

4 hours ago, Cynique said:

(the only brainwash i underwent was when i wore my hair in a bushy Afro.) 

@Cynique I guess you are, by far, not the only person that feels they have been brainwashed to think that afros were attractive. But for what it's worth, I thought that you looked beautiful in your picture with the afro.

Nobody has to brainwash me into thinking what occurs in nature is beautiful,

No where in nature is there a growth that is comparable to wooly black hair except sheeps' wool which, unlike the slick glossy coat of a black panther or the luxurious brown mane of a lion,  doesn't become beautiful until it is processed and dyed into fabric.  

@Cynique You say that sheeps wool, which occurs in nature, is not beautiful until it is processed and dyed into fabric, but the slick glossy coat of a black panther that occurs in nature is beartiful and I suppose, by your belief, does not need to be processed, and you say that this is not brainwashing. In a way, I agree in that it is not brainwashing, in a sense, if Black AFrican people who are born with, what you term as "dense, drab-colored exploding hair" , but that in some occasions, it may just be an inferiority-superiority complex. Some people born with nappy hair may come to hate their hair unless they straighten it due to brainwashing too though.

But, yes, I do see that when it comes to WOOLY BLACK HAIR "No where in nature is there a growth that is comparable to wooly black hair' other than SHEEP'S WOOL!!!

I do wonder about the extinct wooly mammoth too though. 

The only reason so many people don't like kinky or even nappy (beaded) hair is because they've been conditioned by this society since childhood not to.

@Pioneer1 Yes, conditioned and brainwashed.

I believe you can condition people...both male and female....to find almost any natural characteristic attractive as long as you start them off very young when they are most impressionable.

I don't know about this approach. I seen many people in the 70s embrace natural hairstyles but have left off. I am thinking that maybe, it is more important to understand the truth about why we have been conditioned and brainwashed to see African hair as being 'Bad Hair' nowadays. 

• 4 months later...
On 5/1/2019 at 7:59 PM, Pioneer1 said:

Oh yeah. So true. I just stumbled across this video that was published in London this year in May 2019. Some of the comments that Cynique made in this thread also shows how many of us Black Americans have been so conditioned to not like our own hair and this video brings this out. Many people of African descent, right now, today, still beleive that natural African-typed nappy hair is 'Bad Hair'. Some of my relatives on all of my extended families sides still use these terms 'Good Hair' and 'Bad Hair' and they say it oftentimes in casual conversations and have no reservations about their beliefs at all. 

Hidden Camera: Public Reactions to Afro Hair –

Natural Hair Documentary NAPPY ROOTS