I Heard Facebook Gave Farrakhan the Boot

No, that's not comparable to my forgetting about the Americas  from back in my grade school social studies class, something which did come back to me once my memory was prodded.  Farrakhan bores me.   He and i are the same age, from the same era, and nothing he has to say is new  or of interest to me.  zzzzzzzz  The same goes for your advice.  

38 minutes ago, Cynique said:

No, that's not comparable to my forgetting about the Americas  from back in my grade school social studies class, something which did come back to me once my memory was prodded. 

Image result for cattle prod

.....yeah, and I'm the one who "prodded" your memory.

I just finished listening to the entire 1 hour plus long video, during my walk this evening. It was not the Minister's most riviting talk and he did not say much about Facebook. The  last 16 or 17 minutes is all you really need to listen to to get the gist.

He suggests that his being singled out for hate speech is biased and inconsistent.  Of course he is correct.

Honestly, I could careless that Farrakhan has been booted from Facebook. It is not that Facebook is irrelevant to me, but I never followed Fararrkhan on Facebook. I know where the NOI's website is, YouTube has not banned him yet, and I buy the Final Call newspaper from time to time.

It was a tactical error for Facebook to ban Farrakhan. Just another inidication that they are on the decline... good riddance.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Troy said:

Honestly, I could careless that Farrakhan has been booted from Facebook. It is not that Facebook is irrelevant to me, but I never followed Fararrkhan on Facebook

Pioneer1 is that you? 

1 hour ago, Troy said:

He suggests that his being singled out for hate speech is biased and inconsistent.  Of course he is correct.

How would you know that he is singled out if you are not on Facebook? 

Pioneer has another one. 

• Like 1

Bwahahaha, Del.  i knew where you were coming from. 

i don't understand why Farrakhan and his indignant groupies think  Zuckerberg, who  is a jew, is just going to sit idly by and let people like Farrakhan and white Alex jones and a bunch of other alt right anti semites defile jews on a site that he owns.  Black people including the righteous Farrakhan would be apoplectic if a jewish racist came on a black-owned site and bad-mouthed black people. Farrakhan is the epitome of someone who thinks he's a privileged character.  Are black people now boycotting FaceBook because of his expulsion?  i doubt it. He's yesterday's news. 😴

8 hours ago, Troy said:

I just finished listening to the entire 1 hour plus long video, during my walk this evening. It was not the Minister's most riviting talk and he did not say much about Facebook. The  last 16 or 17 minutes is all you really need to listen to to get the gist.

@Troy Thank you.

I did listen to parts of his speech and did not get the gist of it until he got close to the end.

5 hours ago, Cynique said:

Are black people now boycotting FaceBook because of his expulsion?  i doubt it. He's yesterday's news

They could boot Jesus the Christ AKA Barack Obama and Black people would still not boycott Facebook. I wonder if the NOI will stop using Facebook.

5 hours ago, Cynique said:

Zuckerberg, who  is a jew, is just going to sit idly by and let people like Farrakhan and white Alex jones and a bunch of other alt right anti semites defile jews on a site that he owns. 

What?! You are simply parotting what anti Black white peoplw say about Farrakhan.

OK @Cynique tell us what Farrakhan wrote on Facebook to "defile Jews?" ....I'll wait.

Cynique, if being Muslim and speaking out against jews, or anyone, else who does bad things to Black people can get you booted off a stupid social media platforms where does the censorship end? 

@Troywhy don't you speak to my legitimate observation about how black folks would go ballistic if a controversial white person regularly came on a black owned site and railed against an organization like BLM or civil rights and militant black organizations of the past like SNICK and the Black Panthers. 

Farrakhan, himself, refers to the jews he admittedly bad mouths as "satanic", so this proves that he is singling out certain jews he's doesn't appreciate and utilizing a platform supplied by a jewish person to diss  his people.  It's beside the point whether Zuckerberg is wrong in doing this.  My point has to to do with my doubting if the situation would be different if it was reversed.

Have you forgotten that in my quest for the truth, i  no longer give black folks a pass just because they are black. BTW, i also think that Twitter should  not provide Trump with a platform.  He needs to get his own media outlet to deliver his fake news.   

Facebook and Twitter are private institutions and have a right to accept and reject whoever they like on their platform.
However the PROBLEM is.........

They sell themselves as "public" forums which confuses people and gives them the false impression that they have the right to say what they please.

This has been happening in real life for years even before the internet.

For the past 50 years or so in the United States there has been a big campaign to eliminate public spaces and privatize them.

You see it as PUBLIC parks and libraries are being replaced by PRIVATE shopping malls and book stores.

Unlike the old days where you used to be able to sit down and relax in the public park all day long even if you were broke or stand up in the public square and speak your mind, now you have to BUY something or leave and risk being kicked out and banned if you solicit or say something the establishment doesn't agree with.

Perhaps we need a "public" Facebook where there's no one in charge and you can REALLY say whatever you feel like and post what you like as long as it's not calling for the harm of anyone.

11 hours ago, Cynique said:

roywhy don't you speak to my legitimate observation about how black folks would go ballistic if a controversial white person regularly came on a black owned site and railed against an organization like BLM or civil rights and militant black organizations of the past like SNICK and the Black Panthers. 

I don't, because i dont buy into the premise of your accusation. Perhaps if you shared a single vile thing Fsrarrkhan wrote on Facebook i could respond to your question. I'm still waiting...

11 hours ago, Cynique said:

BTW, i also think that Twitter should  not provide Trump with a platform.  He needs to get his own media outlet to deliver his fake news.   

I actually agree; he should communicate with the public the way a normal POTUS does. But Twitter is making too much money to stop him. There needs to be new rules defining how a president communicates with the media and public.

25 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

They sell themselves as "public" forums which confuses people and gives them the false impression that they have the right to say what they please.

Yes, because Mark and the rest of them are full of shit.

27 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

we need a "public" Facebook where there's no one in charge and you can REALLY say whatever you feel like

We have that. It is called the World Wide Web.

8 minutes ago, Troy said:

We have that. It is called the World Wide Web.

You can SEARCH whatever you like (well....almost whatever) but you can't really SAY whatever you like.

You have to actually long onto a forum (like this one) and in most cases register with an account like Twitter to either speak your mind or post an ad or notification.

I don't know of any place on the web that is totally regulated where anyone can get up and rant all day saying whatever the like a public park or the old fashioned public squares.

That would be TRUE freedom of speech.

27 minutes ago, Troy said:

I don't, because i dont buy into the premise of your accusation. Perhaps if you shared a single vile thing Fsrarrkhan wrote on Facebook i could respond to your question. I'm still waiting...

Well, "vile" is your word. "anti-semitic" is mine, and  Farrakhan incriminated himself when he admitted he called certain jews "satanic". He never denies being anti-semitic because he geniuinely has a big problem with jews.  i have heard Farrakhan speak out against Jews, and his litany never changes so i'm sure he's not saying anything good about Jews on FaceBook 

@Cynique again Farrakhan does not express publicly (he is real careful with his words if you ever listen to him) a hatred of all Jews (antisemitic). Of course he would deny he is antisemitic.

OK since you can't find anything on Facebook to support your claim that Farrakhan is an antisemitic Nazi (your words). Find me something anywhere. He has tons of YouTube videos and the Final Call is on the web. I'll wait...

23 hours ago, Troy said:

@Pioneer1 what is stopping you (anyone) from doing it here?

Come on man....you know most websites are monitored by those in the government.

And also many Black sites are monitored by White nationalists (I no longer call them Supremacists) looking for information on members.
That's part of that "lurking" audience.

This is one of the reasons I don't put out my picture and other personal information out on the internet.

Sure the government has ways of getting information but as far as these little white trolls.....they only know as much as you tell them.

12 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Black sites are monitored by White nationalists (I no longer call them Supremacists) looking for information on members.
That's part of that "lurking" audience.

This is true.  But in recent years I see less evidence of it here, as social media is where most Black people engage now. I used to get a LOT more white supremist trolls activity here and even hate mail -- including physical mail, but essentially none in the last year or two.

• Like 1

Troy

Don't for one second believe they've gone away!
Especially with 45 in office.

Just assume that they've gotten better at espionage.
Sitting back just observing and gathering information.

They probably learned a few lessons from their Russian counterparts.

How do you think the Russians were able to have such an impact on the 2016 election.
They were monitoring Black websites and sitting back all nice and quiet observing and studying and every now and then pop up under some weird identity just to spread misinformation and then disappear again.

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2019 at 7:18 PM, Delano said:

I don't have a position. I just post information. What you do with it is on you. This is a lesson that was taught to me in the many pointless arguments here. 

@Troy this is why I post links not my opinions. I am moving away from debating opinions. The next step for me is to not have any fixed opinions. Since this interferes with my having an open mind. 

• Like 1

@Delano at the risk of coming across as debating an opinion, this sounds like you are erasing your identity -- the thing that makes you, you are your opinions.

So what if others disagree with them from time to time and even try to help you see things their way or even try to get you to change your opinion.

On a related note: there is science that suggests what people believe is a function of their genetics. In other words liberals and conservatives are born that way.  There was an interesting program discussion this on my local NPR affiliate this week. If I can dig it up I will. 

Basically, our opinions have less to do with experience, or facts, and much more to with our genes. Having an "open mind" my be much harder than you think ;-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Troy said:

@Delano at the risk of coming across as debating an opinion

There's no risk

2 hours ago, Troy said:

So what if others disagree with them from time to time and even try to help you see things their way or even try to get you to change your opinion.

I have no need or reason 

2 hours ago, Troy said:

On a related note: there is science that suggests what people believe is a function of their genetics. In other words liberals and conservatives are born that way.  There was an interesting program discussion this on my local NPR affiliate this week. If I can dig it up I will. 

Cool

2 hours ago, Troy said:

Having an "open mind" my be much harder than you think 😉

How hard do you think, I think it is, Troy? 

@Mel Hopkins, what @Delano starting doing, which @Pioneer1 described, is actually different. Sure Del stopped debating opinions, but he also stopped expressing his opinions, which is a very different thing.

I will debate some opinions and will change or alter my opinion when I learn new information.

Now we all have pereferences. I like roller coasters and someone else my not. There is nothing really to debate here.

However there are a whole class of subjects and ideas that are up for debate. Of course, if you have no intention of changing your position or listening to opposing perspectives, then debate is a collossal waste of time.

For example, I used to believe Astrology utter nonsense. Debating people knowledgable about the subject changed my opinion -- i woul not be so quick to completely dismiss it.

The best discussion forums allow for the exchange of information bewteen people with opposing views. Which is something I never found on social -- perhaps because algorithms get in the way... I dunno, but the reduction in the number of platforms were good debates can take place is another problem with internet over the last two decades.

1 hour ago, Troy said:

@Mel Hopkins, what @Delano starting doing, which @Pioneer1 described, is actually different. Sure Del stopped debating opinions, but he also stopped expressing his opinions, which is a very different thing.

I agree with Mel synopsis

1 hour ago, Troy said:

However there are a whole class of subjects and ideas that are up for debate. Of course, if you have no intention of changing your position or listening to opposing perspectives, then debate is a collossal waste of time.

2 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

I may even add a point or two for consideration but I've returned to my old ways of NOT debating opinions either.  It's actually a waste of time.

Debates imply a winner and a loser. Debate and discuss are different.

1 hour ago, Troy said:

For example, I used to believe Astrology utter nonsense. Debating people knowledgable about the subject changed my opinion -- i woul not be so quick to completely dismiss it.

Didn't you study and see some utility?

1 hour ago, Delano said:

Didn't you study and see some utility?

I was just a "for instance," an example you could relate to, to make a point.

1 hour ago, Delano said:

Debate and discuss are different.

Sometimes debates are a subset, often a very interesting subset, of discussions. 

So @Delano you don't understand the distinction I made between you not expressing an opinion versus "debating" one.

@Delano you know we don't have structured debates here, and that is not what we were talking about. 

You are not just avoiding "debate," you've preempted that possibility by not expressing an opinion in the discussions you've started lately, which was @Pioneer1's point.

I don't know what,

4 hours ago, Delano said:

You and I have different polarities . 

means.

20 hours ago, Delano said:

Debate and discuss are different.

@Delano, Exactly!!!  As the header says - this is a discussion forum... where people exchange ideas.  I don't mind exchanging ideas  or even hearing new ideas. 

Also commentary...I'm tired of commentary.  I'm tired of talking about what other people "think" Opeds, commentary - I'll may give it a like, laugh but I'm bored with commentary.  It's time for us to come up with something new or expand on something old that has NOT run its course yet.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 5/16/2019 at 10:33 PM, Pioneer1 said:

This is one of the reasons I don't put out my picture and other personal information out on the internet.

For the most part I did the same thing until I started writing my book. People are hiding their identity just like the people who wear hoods and lynch mobs.

After starting the writing process it became clear what I wrote is part of my legacy. Overnight I changed my whole website and stopped being anonymous.

On 5/4/2019 at 3:41 AM, Chevdove said:

Wow! Well, I wonder now, just what the specific statement used to justify kicking  him off. But. I don't spend hardly any time on Facebook because I don't want to get drawn into it.

No specific statement or rationale seemed more like a threat to the rest of FBland to color well within the lines. It was like a warning shot to the rest of FBland.

Ndamdi

Interesting name.....
Are you Yoruba or Igbo?

For the most part I did the same thing until I started writing my book. People are hiding their identity just like the people who wear hoods and lynch mobs.

When I decide whether or not to do things, I don't just go by emotions but I also like to weigh the benefits and consequences to determine is it worth doing.   I simply see very little benefit in putting my name and picture on this or any other discussion board or social media at this time.

A lot of our people (African people) love acting off of EMOTION.

They'll put their identity and other personal information all over the internet and social media as some sort of act of "bravery" as if they're showing courage or being impressive.

It means nothing.

Infact it's a clear sign of LACK OF GOOD JUDGEMENT.

The more information you put out about yourself the more opportunity you give people to potentially identify you and harm you.

You DO realize that White Supremacists monitor many African sites looking for victims don't you?

If  you don't...you should.

Hell, if you're smart enough to write books it would seem to me that you'd also be smart enough to protect your identity and realize the potential dangers if you don't.