Sign in to follow this  
Troy

I Heard Facebook Gave Farrakhan the Boot

On 6/29/2019 at 6:34 AM, Delano said:

I am moving away from debating opinions.

@DelanoAgree!  I won't acquiesce to someone's opinion.  I may even add a point or two for consideration but I've returned to my old ways of NOT debating opinions either.  It's actually a waste of time.

• Like 1

@Mel Hopkins, what @Delano starting doing, which @Pioneer1 described, is actually different. Sure Del stopped debating opinions, but he also stopped expressing his opinions, which is a very different thing.

I will debate some opinions and will change or alter my opinion when I learn new information.

Now we all have pereferences. I like roller coasters and someone else my not. There is nothing really to debate here.

However there are a whole class of subjects and ideas that are up for debate. Of course, if you have no intention of changing your position or listening to opposing perspectives, then debate is a collossal waste of time.

For example, I used to believe Astrology utter nonsense. Debating people knowledgable about the subject changed my opinion -- i woul not be so quick to completely dismiss it.

The best discussion forums allow for the exchange of information bewteen people with opposing views. Which is something I never found on social -- perhaps because algorithms get in the way... I dunno, but the reduction in the number of platforms were good debates can take place is another problem with internet over the last two decades.

1 hour ago, Troy said:

@Mel Hopkins, what @Delano starting doing, which @Pioneer1 described, is actually different. Sure Del stopped debating opinions, but he also stopped expressing his opinions, which is a very different thing.

I agree with Mel synopsis

1 hour ago, Troy said:

However there are a whole class of subjects and ideas that are up for debate. Of course, if you have no intention of changing your position or listening to opposing perspectives, then debate is a collossal waste of time.

2 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

I may even add a point or two for consideration but I've returned to my old ways of NOT debating opinions either.  It's actually a waste of time.

Debates imply a winner and a loser. Debate and discuss are different.

1 hour ago, Troy said:

For example, I used to believe Astrology utter nonsense. Debating people knowledgable about the subject changed my opinion -- i woul not be so quick to completely dismiss it.

Didn't you study and see some utility?

1 hour ago, Delano said:

Didn't you study and see some utility?

I was just a "for instance," an example you could relate to, to make a point.

1 hour ago, Delano said:

Debate and discuss are different.

Sometimes debates are a subset, often a very interesting subset, of discussions. 

So @Delano you don't understand the distinction I made between you not expressing an opinion versus "debating" one.

You and I have different polarities . 

a debate is a formal discussion. and hence it can be argued that a debate is a subset of discussion. 

You can explain it to the other members

• Like 1

@Delano you know we don't have structured debates here, and that is not what we were talking about. 

You are not just avoiding "debate," you've preempted that possibility by not expressing an opinion in the discussions you've started lately, which was @Pioneer1's point.

I don't know what,

4 hours ago, Delano said:

You and I have different polarities . 

means.

20 hours ago, Delano said:

Debate and discuss are different.

@Delano, Exactly!!!  As the header says - this is a discussion forum... where people exchange ideas.  I don't mind exchanging ideas  or even hearing new ideas. 

Also commentary...I'm tired of commentary.  I'm tired of talking about what other people "think" Opeds, commentary - I'll may give it a like, laugh but I'm bored with commentary.  It's time for us to come up with something new or expand on something old that has NOT run its course yet.

• Like 1

This exchange makes it clear to  each of us. And strengthens our initial position, while incapacitating the opposition at least in our minds. Paradoxically there's no way for this not to be true.