Can You Name Your Most FAvorite African American ...

Can You Name Your Most Favorite AFrican American Cultural Festival You Would LIke to Attend? 

10085211_sta.jpg

I am not the kind of person who has had the privilege to travel a lot and go to many festivals but if I could, there are some cultural festivals that I would like to attend. And, until I did a little research, I did not realize there were that many African Amercian festivals here in the States. I have posted this one link of the top ten most popular African American Cultural Festivals in America, and well, I have never heard of any of them, except for New York! I was so surprised to learn about a festival in Indiana being the most visited! I couldn't believe it! And, I was surprised to NOT see the Mardi Gras on the list.

I probably will never be able to go to places far away for now, but I hope to attend some nearby real soon. At any rate, if money was NOT the issue and I had a choice to visit at least five then, I have listed my MOST WANTED TOP 5 CHOICES OF AFRICAN AMERICAN CULTURAL FESTIVALS I would like to attend:

1.  The Sundiata Festival in Seattle Washington

[I would love to see Seattle, Washington because I heard so much about a significant AFrican American presence there that goes way back in time. And I heard that the people were active during the Civil Rights Movement]

2.  Mardi Gras

[After reading about the history and background though, I'm not sure if I want to go now, but in the past, I was always curious]

3.  The Indiana Black Expo

[This is stated in the link to be the most popular in all of America!]

1519315830_indiana_black_expo_summer_cel

JULY 11-21, 2019

4.  AFRAM Festival in Delaware

[this was in the link, and I am curious]

5.  Last by definitely not least-- THE African American Book Festival in Atlanta!

[Man!--Would I love to go!]

**Also, I would love to go to the one in Detroit, Michigan and also visit Motown Museum, Ohio, New York and the Book Festival in Houston, Texas and more!]

Anyway, here is the link:

1 Sistrunk Parade and Festival--February, Fort Lauderdal, Florida

One of the 15 most popular African-American Festivals attracting thousands of people for over 30 years,

the Sistrunk Parade and Festival celebrates the achievements of USA citizens of African descent.

Fun parts of the celebrations include a large parade with colorful floats, marching bands, drill teams, and

dancing performers, as well as special international cuisine offerings, local and international entertainment,

and family oriented activities. ...

8.  Indiana BLack Expo Summer Celebration - Late July, Indianapolis, Indiana

Summer Celebration is the largest African-American event in the nation, with over 300,000 people in attendance.

The programs and events over an 11-day period includes business workshops, health and wellness, employment

opportunities, spiritual enrichment, exhibits, youth activities and entertainment. Local and national celebrities

along with individuals, families and members of the corporate community all join in celebration of African-American heritage and culture. ...

http://www.topeventsusa.com/top-african-american-festivals-USA.html

04-061316_Odunde_Howard.2e16d0ba.fill-73

eb137569188a9c2d988d5d9200971ca0-rimg-w5

340528_a9390580915a4e5197becf7c63f336c0~

DhBv7AcUwAATJhF.jpg

ibe-placeholder.gif

SUMMER-CELEBRATION-UPDATED-2019-SLIDER-B

maxresdefault.jpg

OMG! I think I want to go to Indiana!!!

I think I want to go to Indiana!!!

I think I want to go to Indiana!!! ... Wow!

That is a good question. 

Up until a few years ago Essence was on my list.  But I went and did not care for it very much -- it was just WAY TOO Crowded to enjoy the various performances given in the different "lounges" and I'm no longer a fan of arena concerts where the headliners performed.  But if you've never gone I would still recommend checking it out.

Next on my list is the Bayou Classic which also takes place in the Big Easy.  I went to the Florida Classic last year and had a really good time.  

These football games may not be "cultural expos" but they have all of the same characteristics -- including vendors or all kinds and entertainment

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2019 at 11:00 AM, Troy said:

But if you've never gone I was recommend checking it out.

I would SO love to go! But as you have said, I don't like crowds that much, however, if the theme is good, then I believe I could really enjoy this type of experience.

I never knew that there was such a thing as 'an Essence festival'.

On 5/30/2019 at 11:00 AM, Troy said:

Next on my list is the Bayou Classic which also takes place in the Big Easy.

Yes, this sound good!

I grew up going to large annual Church conventions and had gotten tired of them for some reason-- never gave it much thought as to why-- But now, I think I might have a better experience at an Expo and especially perhaps a Book Fair. 

• Like 1