The Buzzfeedification of Journalism

I post links to AALBC on Twitter several times a week.  During that time I will acknowledge to reply to people to who engage with my posts.  I make a point of never scrolling down my newsfeed.  This is how social media platforms rope you in and the whole process becomes a useless waste of my time.  

Since Twitter presents you with your feed when you first log into the platform, I do see some posts each time I login.  Today I saw the following post from the venerable New York Times (image below).  The New York Times gave Twitter money -- perhaps a great deal of money -- to post "The 50 Best Movies on Netflix Right Now."

I find this shocking.  Has the New York Times has been reduced to publishing listicles promoting movies on Netflix?!  Is this what the NYT is paying their journalist to do -- report on what is streaming on Netflix?  Is Netflix paying the New York Times for this? If not, why the heck are they promoting Netflix?  

But what can you expect it is the NYT, who served as Trump's handmaidens, helping propel him into office by lending legitimacy by publishing the man's every exaggerated, false, or silly statement.

The sad thing is that these click-baity posts probably does get people to visit the NYT website. Unfortunately, for the Times, these visitors are not the people likely to subscribe to the NTY or read any real substantive articles on their website.  I will not visit the Times' site to scroll through this list. 

This is yet another signal of the death of journalism. It is not the Times fault, just the consequence of our peculiar practice of capitalism. one devoid of a moral compass driven solely by the maximization of profit.

buzzfeedification-of-journalism-700.jpg

WOW this is bad news for journalism! 

You really said it here;

22 minutes ago, Troy said:

This is yet another signal of the death of journalism. It is not the Times fault, just the consequence of our peculiar practice of capitalism. one devoid of a moral compass driven solely by the maximization of profit.

• Like 1