Sign in to follow this  
Word Lovers

Looking for Self-Published Books by African-American Authors

Hi, 

I'm Tanisca, current president of Word Lovers Book & Literary Club. We are looking for self-published books by African-American authors for our 2019-2020 reading list. The book must be at least 100 content pages and properly formatted. Any recommendations for where we can find these books?

Thanks, Kwaku. We're checking it out now. In the mean time, please visit http://taniscawilson.com/word-lovers/ to find out more about us. Also, if you know of any other self-published or indie authors, please ask them to share their info. We're in the process of selecting books for our 2019-2020 reading year, and we select at a 90/10 rate; 6 books by indies and 2 by traditionally published authors. We are a highly selective book club and decided during our business meeting to increase the # of books we read from 6 to 8. I'll be updating that info on the site soon. 

Thank you for responding. I'll be in touch. 

There are over 1,000 independently published authors profiled here on AALBC.

This is the first request I've seen for indie authors only. I actually pride myself on building a database to answer a variety of questions regarding Black books. 

I could craft a query to answer this question, but the results would be quite large, unless I can narrow the list a bit.

Many authors have both self-published and published in the "traditional" fashion. Should these authors be excluded? Are you considering ebook-only authors? Are there specific genres you are interested in? Are you looking for booked pubbed during a soefic period (new, less than 5 years old), etc.

Hi Troy, 

We are primarily looking for books by self-published authors who have published  within the last three years. We are open to reading fiction, drama, memoirs, historical fiction; our only exception is erotica and books we consider the "thug genre," e.g. Iceberg Slim, Sex Chronicles, etc. 

We have an expanded list of traditionally published books, so we are not looking for those. However, we are having a difficult time  finding quality books written by indie authors, which we need to read to support the mission of our book club.  We welcome your assistance as we need to select our books before the end of July. 

Tanisca

Ok I'll work on a query (a web page) that displays self-published literary fiction, by genre, from the past three years. I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, I see you've taken advantage of the information shared by authors here. AALBC can not possibly review all the book review requests we receive, so I'm happy to see more platforms emerge. 

Guest Oneness4Real

Hi! My name is Vernetta Norman. I have nine(9) published books for ages  for the young and the young at heart.  My publishing's are on Amazon.com, Good Reads, Facebook and Twitter, as well as on Demand in most bookstores.

I've written  several short plays along with a book of quotes(non-published).

Presently, I'm  in the process of completing my tenth(10) book/ a  real- novel in which people will never forget it's name.  

Best,

Oneness4Real/Author

On 6/27/2019 at 9:10 AM, Troy said:

Ok I'll work on a query (a web page) that displays self-published literary fiction, by genre, from the past three years. I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, I see you've taken advantage of the information shared by authors here. AALBC can not possibly review all the book review requests we receive, so I'm happy to see more platforms emerge. 

Thanks a bunch! That'll help us out alot. We're glad to help with the reviews :-)  

• Like 1

Guest OPersaud

I would love for you to review my book, "Shitolian."  It was recently published on April 12, 2019.  I would love to send you a hard copy that meets your criteria if you are interested.  Here is a link to five reviews of my book that was recently reviewed by Readers Favorite and one more review from Online Book Club.

https://readersfavorite.com/book-review/shitolian?fbclid=IwAR3LbTJ1u7NxJ3DZwNuGlpmzoXdYg8_b_6-CdyF9AgAEaWqkXnFnpQklYxw

https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=107060

If you find it compelling enough, you can contact me via email: omar.persaud@outlook.com

I look forward to hearing back from you

O Persaud