SWEET PEA WHITAKER--May he RIP

SWEET PEA WHITAKER--May he RIP

career-whitaker7.jpg

What Happened!? I mean, what really happened!? Was this the first time he’d crossed that street or what? Aren’t we speaking about a professional boxer who probably was accustomed to jogging and crossing streets? Well, anyway, this is sad news. I met him years ago, and thought that he was so very nice. The reports say that he had just had a photo session the day before! And, reports also have 'exonerated' the driver of the vehicle that struck him already. No charges are expected to be filed. Oh well,.. 

I met Sweet Pea Whitaker back in the 1980s at the Scope during a CIAA Championship game and later at my college in Norfolk, Va. and that was how I came to know that he was famous. I was a CIAA ‘ball girl’ and went to take a break and sat down in the bleachers for the VIPs. At this time, I did not know anything about him. But he was sitting directly in front of me and he turned around and introduced himself to me. He had bodyguards all around him. Later during that time, he handed me a poster that said, “10” and asked me to hold it up and then he took a picture. LOL. It just occurred to me that he might have been flirting with me!!! OMG! Shoot! LOL. Just kdding. I still have that pic, but well, those dayz are gone! LOL! I am a different person now! Now I'm a 10 x 10 x 10... LOL. But, back then it took me a while to realize who I had just met! Man! Again, he was so nice. My husband grew up in Norfolk and recalled how he was recruited and trained to be a boxer and became a favorite, he said, because ‘he had a left hook’. But, he quit because, he said that it was too intense for him. He said, they worked him out so hard that after the next day, he could not even lift his arms. Well, anyway, this is horrible news. I just read that Sweet Pea had financial debt and drug problems. And, the news reports says that he died on the scene. I also just read that Sweet Pea was arguable the best boxer of all times! May he rest in peace.

D_jhDObW4AA0gsG.jpg%20F9yY6T0ZaW1R_640x360.jpg

REAKING

Former world champion boxer Pernell "Sweetpea" Whitaker struck, killed by vehicle in Virginia Beach

·         Staff report

• Jul 15, 2019 Updated 21 hrs ago

Pernell "Sweetpea" Whitaker, a former world champion boxer, died Sunday night after being hit by a pickup in Virginia Beach.

… Whitaker, 55, was a four-time world champion who grew up in Norfolk. He won an Olympic gold medal in 1984.

Ring Magazine named him its 1989 boxer of the year. ... 

https://pilotonline.com/sports/other/boxing/article_f4e8d6de-a6fd-11e9-ac4a-db3b99f41acb.html

Post Script: How does a pickup truck hit a person all by itself? I guess they meant, 'after being hit by a PERSON driving the pick up truck'...

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2